RailYard 4000 - Wynkoop Brewing Company

pDev: n/a
Wynkoop Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: smcolw on 06-05-2004)
Reviews by Fish113d:
4.05/5  rDev n/a

Upon pouring the Railyard, it left a good 1/2 inch head that disipated to mostly nothing w/in a minute. It was mostly amber in color and appeared to be pmedium bodied.

Upon smell, I got hints of caramel malts w/ citrus and sugar undetones. Tasting, I felt like I bit into a grapefruit at first that I put caramel on w/ slight hoppiness w/ a slight nice alcohol burn behind it. It had a sugary feel w/ some dry oaken flavors slightly at the finish to go with the alcohol burn. The Railyard had a rather smooth but big feel to it w/ great carbonation at room temperature. I really enjoyed this beer overall, pretty drinkable - great find Sulldaddy!!!

4.1/5  rDev n/a

Well while in Denver for GABF we stopped @ Wynkoop's twice and I walked out with one of these 1 liter bottles on the 2nd visit. QUite the cool bottle, looks like a mini growler with a swing top. metal is gold/brass color on swing top too. The beer is a suped up version of the normal railyard ale and is commemorative of their 4000 fermentation!

I am sampling this brew with my buddy and fellow BA fish113d.
Room temp brew drinking from a snifter. The beer pours a rich amber color with off white fluffy head foaming up easily. Good retention too. Aroma is caramel and lemony hops with some general sweetness as well. A faint almost candylike scent is present.
First sip reveals a light, gentle carbonation and average body. Flavor is light sweet caramel and toffee, followed by the citrusy hops I detected on the nose. Overall the flavor is mild and doesnt leave much to coat my palate etc, a very clean finish. The beer is nice and smooth and goes down very smooth. The alcohol is not present on nose or flavor, but after we finish the liter bottle there is a slight buzz in my head!

3.6/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is souped up version of Wynkoop's RailYard Ale (an aled Oktoberfest), but this has an ABV of 7% vs. 5%.

The appearance, aroma and taste are very similar to the original RailYard except that this has a stronger malt flavoring and a more oily aftertaste.

Clear, honey/chestnut color
Malty aroma, slight hop
Flavor is malt up front, counterbalanced (but light) hop on the swallow.

Sadly, stronger doesn't mean better, I prefer the regular version.

4/5  rDev n/a

4/5  rDev n/a

RailYard 4000 from Wynkoop Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.