Patty's Chile Beer - Wynkoop Brewing Company

Wynkoop Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 05-23-2003

Golden ale brewed with green chili peppers; a late addition of Anaheim peppers and smoked ancho peppers.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Patty's Chile Beer Alström Bros
3.53/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can. Pours hazy golden yellow with a medium frothy white head that goes to a thin film and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is fresh chile peppers (Anaheim?).

The flavor is some sweet malts with chile flavor. It's got a little heat but is pretty mild. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, a solid mild chile beer. Good flavor, but not a lot of heat.

3.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured a nice golden color with great head and some nice lacing, as well as a nice amount of carbonation, nearly lager like in its appearance. Nice sweet beer, good balance between malt and hop, with a great chile flavor, enough to enjoy but not so much it takes away from everything else. It goes down nice, if just a bit too much carbonation.

3.59/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the brewery into a shaker pint glass.

A-The beer is light golden in color and hazy. A cap of white foam has decent staying power, but eventually fades to a collar. No lacing. I can see a few lazy bubbles in the brew. Sort-of boring looking.

S-The aroma is that of a simple ale with some vegetal chili flavors. It is lightly sweet with corn and honey scents, as well as fleshy (rather than spicy) green chili aroma. The spice is mild and more of a tickle than outright heat.

T-The taste is similar: A pretty simple beer with some grain and corn flavors, a bit of honey-like sweetness and a fair amount of fleshy chili pepper flavors. The pepper spice comes through, but this is not a "hot" beer like some light chili beers.

F-The body is pretty light and clean. Easy to drink with moderate levels of carbonation.

O-I have good memories of drinking Patty's beer in college, but the memories are better than the beer. Anyway, this is an easy drinking ale with a healthy hit of chili flavor and not much more. If you are looking for complexity or intensity, look elsewhere.

3.95/5  rDev +13.5%

This beer had a nice orange murky color with a decent head and retnetion.

Taste and smell are simple: pepperjack. Nice and spicy, leaves a little spice on the throat.

There is moderate carbonation and decent clinging to the palate.

This beer is not bad and I could have a few of these. I love chili beers. There is not a lot going on here, but it is pretty drinkable.

3.76/5  rDev +8%

An excellent beer that (like others have mentioned) seems to vary a little. Sometimes the beer is spicier or stronger than other times, but I suppose that just boils down the the chilis being used.
The color is golden, but more vibrant than most domestic lagers or ales.
The smell is amazing. It's like taking a whiff of fresh roasted chilis. If you like the smell of chili peppers, this is heaven. If you don't like them...well, you likely won't enjoy this either. There's a slight malt edge to it, but not much. The strength of the aroma varies by the batch, but the actual smell is always the same.
Taste is shockingly mild. It's just like a light ale, but with a little chili bite at the end. It's not spicy most of the time, but I did have a pint that had a tiny bit of kick to it a few months ago.
In your mouth it's very light. Not too much carbonation, not too "thick"

The beer is a great starter and is VERY unique, but I don't think I could drink more than 1 or 2 in an evening. The more you drink of it, the milder the flavor will get. By the end of a pint, you're a little numb to the chili smell and flavor.

If you live in the area or stop into the Wynkoop while in Denver, this beer is a must-try just for it's uniqueness.

3.2/5  rDev -8%

Ordered one of these at Wynkoop as it was on Westword's 50 Colorado Beers to Try Before you Die List.

A - The beer arrived a vivid golden color with a thin white head and noticeable lacing.

S - Imagine you're at a Farmer's Market right next to the guy roasting the chili's. Immense chili aroma that's so potent you can't get anything else through.

T/M - The beer starts out light and crisp with a light malty character but quickly transitions to the chili flavor. It's not a spicy jalapenos flavor more of a roasted chili. The beer finishes crisp and smooth with the chili flavor lingering. It is not overly carbonated and is surprisingly light.

D - I was very excited about the beer at the beginning of the pint, towards the end I was ready for it to go away.

Overall, I am glad to have tried it as it's one of only a handful of chili beers I've had. However, I won't be going back for another.

Reviewed on: 01-27-2011 13:53:48

2.83/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Honey gold color, thin head, grayish. Smell is faintly smokey and peppery, grainy, mild hops sweetness. Deep inhales tingles the receptors. Taste doesn't carry a lot of the pepper taste unfortunately, I was hoping for some upfront chilie peppers. Base beer is too bland, possibly to let the peppers take control, but I just wish the peppers were more present. They are a little more distinct in the finish, and surprisingly no heat.

I would prefer to use this beer in my chili recipe. I like a flavorful chile beer with some heat, and this beer really has none. Might be good as a BBQ thirst-quencher, but I would like to cook with this one more.

3.74/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I'm not big on the hot stuff, and this one was pretty good. I totally enjoyed all the pepper taste. It was a pretty thin mouth feel. Finished off pretty crisp.

3.13/5  rDev -10.1%

Ordered on tap at the Wynkoop Brewery in Denver. Usually I'm not a fan of chili beers, although this one worked for me. Poured a pale yellow with a greenish tint. Slightly cloudy. Very small bubbles of carbonation. White head. As expected, the smell and taste of green chilis dominated. Hard to taste the malt or hops in it. The chilis lingered a bit, although they weren't overly hot - they didn't affect the mouthfeel at all. Although the strong chili flavor made for tough drinkability. Their take on the style seemed good, although I personally don't reach for chili beers.

3.7/5  rDev +6.3%

You really have to be prepared for this one. It's pretty spicy, and as such, it goes great with Mexican food. But it's really a sipper, and it's tough for me to put down a whole pint just because of the strong pepper flavor. People either love this beer or hate it as a result. Since I'm not a big hot and spicy guy, I'd pass on ordering it straight up, but it's actually great in a sampler.

1.99/5  rDev -42.8%

I had this one a couple of weeks ago on my birthday at Wynkoop. While I'm not adverse to trying something new, this one threw me off. The chile flavor is a bit too overpowering for me, and it doesn't balance well with the beer. I can appreciate how some would like it, and I honestly didn't find it vile. However, I would not order this one ever again.. it was just too overpowering in a bad way to me.

2.2/5  rDev -36.8%

We tried this in a sampler size at the bar. It smelled very nice and capsaicin-y, so I was expected to be downing lots of water for the heat I was sure to follow. Instead it just tasted like vegetables, no heat, no spice, a major letdown.

Aside from the lack of chili-power, the beer had little other flavor, it did have a noticeable malt-nuttiness, but hops were mild and it was a really light beer. Don't bother daring anyone to try this unless they're intimidated by extra mild salsa.

3.9/5  rDev +12.1%

A - Small head and pretty light color almost yellow.

S - The smell of peppers in a beer is so odd but makes you want to keep sniffing

T - Peppers dominate the taste but not spicy peppers, more like a green or red pepper. almost refreshing.

Pretty good beer for how different it is.

4.12/5  rDev +18.4%

This my first beer from the Wynkoop Brewery, had a very nice chili taste to it. To me it was like have the best Nachos and cheese with all the fixins you love in a bottle, also wood make a great contribution to Nacho's and Cheese. Not to spicy has I've had from other chile beers but very balanced taste.

Patty's Chile Beer from Wynkoop Brewing Company