Microbrew Invitational

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by emmasdad on 05-24-2011

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 5
2.4/5  rDev -30.6%

Brewed with hemp seeds, according to the waitress at one of the Wynkoop Group pubs, the Wazee Supper Club. That would make it a flavored beer, I think. Nor is it in any way red. It's a dark mahogany. Served in a 10 oz goblet with aroma of roasted grains.

But oh, man, the painful, shuddering, bitterness of this stuff. I must have chewed on hemp seeds back in the day, but I don't remember a chokecherry kind of bitterness. Chewing on aspirin or worse medicinal bitterness. I can only think this is some kind of chemistry experiment, or a practical joke.

3.84/5  rDev +11%

I had this one in my notes, totally misspelled. Glad someone put in the database :)

Pours a dark ruby yet still kinda bright. Off-white head was mostly a collar as it drank. Aroma is a mix of malt characters and hop presence. Earthy and citrusy, piny and fruity. Some hints of smoke, i think

Perhaps this could be mistaken for a scotch ale, if not for the hops. Malty and sweet, and a touch light. Citrus and pine give it a refreshing quality, and a nice bite. What the heck is going on here? Whatevva...I like it.

I suppose this is classified correctly, but it would be interesting to see what they planned on making :)

4.03/5  rDev +16.5%

I had this one on tap Saturday at Wynkoop (thanks for the drink coupon, Marty) based on a recommendation from a friend. Poured a nice amber color with a smallish off-white head. Aromas of caramel, nuts, pine and citrus. Medium bodied on the palate, with flavors of citrus, pine and tropical fruit.

Metacool Maltuwanna from Wynkoop Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.