Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout - Wynkoop Brewing Company

Wynkoop Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Knapp85 on 03-31-2013

A meaty foreign-style stout, Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout is made with Colorado base malts, roasted barley, seven specialty malts, Styrian Goldings hops, and 25 pounds of freshly sliced and roasted bull testicles.
Ratings: 115 | Reviews: 21
Reviews by Bushwacker393:
4.65/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

this was a surprisingly great beer, It has a nice smoked meat flavor, reminiscent of some of the great London porters i've had. best stout I've had in a long time. not gross or weird tasting at all.
If you can find a two pack, buy it.
yes, it comes in two packs because because ball jokes are hilarious

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

12 oz can (from 2 pack, of course). Pours dark brown black with a smallish fizzy dark brown head that goes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is sweet fudgy bakers chocolate and some roast with maybe a hint of salt.

The flavor is sweet fudgy chocolate with some acidic roast and a bit of saltiness. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low carbonation.

Overall, chocolate salty balls! Surprisingly good, but a bit too sweet.

3.21/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Just an average Stout. Nothing special in the flavor or nose. Wouldn't go out of your way to try unless your looking for something out of the ordinary with shock factor. Definitely not one of Wynkoop's best. Which is weird since they make some amazing beer.

3.84/5  rDev +5.5%

12oz can, sold in yer finer Denver-area liquor stores in two-packs. Yeah, it took me more than the standard beat to get the extension of the inherent joke when presented with this little factoid.

This beer pours a solid, light-destroying black hole, with two chubby fingers of densely foamy, and generally creamy dark beige (ok, 'brown') head, which leaves some low rocky shoreline lace around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells of roasted, somewhat meaty (yup!) caramel malt, wet salted, um, bread, black licorice, milky dark coffee, muddled black fruit, and an earthy, leafy hop bitterness. The taste is more savoury smoked caramel and ethereal meatiness, mildly tart dark orchard fruit (bruised apple, plum, and dates), lactic-acid laced coffee grounds, cocoa powder, and woodsy, leafy hops.

The carbonation is present, but only doled out in supportive and structural amounts, the body a stocky medium-full weight, a tad sticky, but smooth once you get used to it, y'know? It finishes on the sweet side, the chocolaty caramel malt having shed a fair bit of its roasty and gamey notes, preferring now to deal with lingering hops and turtling alcohol.

A challenging Yankee stout with rock-solid gonads - it's got everything going on that any typically roasted and well-made chocolate stout does, but the marketing has to go and fuck with you just a bit further. Ah well. Up here, north of 49, and just east of the Rockies, the eponymous treat is referred to as prairie oysters, and you're more likely to find them in the fried format, if at all.

4.03/5  rDev +10.7%

12 oz ban served chilled into a shaker pint glass.

Rocky Mountain oyster Stout is a very dark brown with a thin crema colored head.

Aroma is full of rich roasted malt and dark roast coffee beans.

Flavor is sweet up front with a milk stout character. It has good bitterness from the roasted malts and a hint of mineral or slightly metallic note.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and nicely carbonated with good balance and drinkability.

Overall a good stout but it's hard not to think about the nuts that went into making it.

3.64/5  rDev 0%

Pours black, brown head, bits of lace.
Aroma was roasty, with a large earthy note, some chocolate, cocoa and minerals.
Taste was heavy roast, dry, semi sweet, chocolate, earthy mineral quality, twinges of coffee.
Nearly full body, somewhat silky, creamy, and dry.

While overall good, I wasn't completely thrilled with some parts of its make up, not sure though if it has anything to so with bull balls, since I've never came across them apart from this beer. Worth the try though. For sure

3.9/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 FL OZ can
Served in a snifter

It pours black as pitch. It is topped with a rich, dark brown head that leaves little lacing.

I get aromas of coffee, chocolate, anise, and dark fruit.

The taste begins with chocolate and coffee. Then come flavors of dark fruit and just a hint of anise.

Full mouthfeel

This is actually a good stout once you get passed the novelty aspect. It pours beautifully and has rich, deep flavors and aromas. I would drink this beer again.

4.2/5  rDev +15.4%

12 fl oz. can, with no apparent canned on or freshness date present. I ordered four cans of this beer along with four cans of Wynkoop Silverback Pale Ale and four cans of Wynkoop Rail Yard Ale from LetsPour.com. Clearly this is the most exciting beer of the package, and I'm stoked to have it in my grasp.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter glass.

A - Pours a "meaty" dark opaque brown colored body with about two fingers of creamy mocha / tan colored head. Head recedes, leaving a few thick rings of fluffy mocha lace.

S - Smell is slightly strange, and unsuspected. But then again, I wasn't exactly expecting normality with this one. Definitely some roasty malt notes, whipped chocolate cream, some smoke. A hint of tart dark fruits and some nutty wine-like characteristics. Smells pretty damn amazing, when it comes down to it.

T - Taste follows the nose: some dark roasty malts, barley, chocolate, cream, some smoke / char flavor, lots of tart dark fruits like figs & cherries, red grapes, some testicle. Okay, just kidding, there's no testicle taste present. Fairly surprising, and is bound to exceed your expectations of what you think this will be like. There is seriously a lot going on here.

M - Feel is lightly tart / sour with some bitter roast clinging to the palate. Ideal carbonation.

Overall, what started out as a joke and a play on words turned into something quite good. Definitely the best of the three beers by Wynkoop Brewing Co. that I have tried, and it is definitely a beer I would get again, given the opportunity. Highly recommended, if you can get your hands on it.

Wynkoop Brewing Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout ---4/5.

3.34/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12 fl oz can served in a snifter, reviewed live:

A - Pours a thick, deep, opaque chocolate color with a finger of mocha colored thin head that leaves no lacing. Retention is awful but expected as the can opened without even a hiss.

S - Sweet milk chocolates open over the restrained roasted malt body. The depth of the chocolate notes are surprising and pleasant. Salty/mineral notes are evident. Heavy cream and a certain woody quality are buried.

T - Milk chocolate, cocoa and a plum note I'd not found in the nose dominate. Roasted and chocolate malts form the body. Assertively bitter and a touch salty on the finish, nicely balancing the sweet chocolates. Having had rocky mountain oysters, I'd never guess them as the secret ingredient, but I enjoy the earthy roasted flavors they contribute. The balance is much better than I'd guessed based on the nose.

M - Medium bodied. Definitely thinner than I'd like. Smooth with low carbonation.

D - A good stout with some unique qualities. Not particularly great, but I'm glad I tried it.

3.51/5  rDev -3.6%

Drinkin this at the brewery!!!
What started as a joke, ended up with the Wynkoop brewmaster actually using bull's testicles in this stout. Pours up black, nice off white lacing. Aroma is standard dark toasty malts. Flavor is a hint of vanilla, dark chocolate, and this little kiss of oddity up front I can't put my finger on. Guessing its...the balls. Full bodied. Smooth and easy carbo. Interesting beer

3.74/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I picked this up during my recent visit to The Old Lady in CANorado in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM) and they certainly do not shy away from references to its origins, either in terms of the label or its reviews. I see no reason to do so, either. I raise my glass in salute to my fallen SOA brother, Kip "Half Sack" Epps, since I also lost one of mine, albeit to torsion at the tender age of 15 y/o. The old lady CAN take no credit for this one as it was all about the boys.

From the CAN: "Wynkoop's Even Smaller Batch Series"; "A luscious, uniquely ballsy stout with notes of roasted barley, coffee and nuts."

My Crack produced a spurt of gooey goodness that splashed on my cheek. Oh my! This CAN was brimful and a bit of premature ejaculation was to be expected. I had two fingers of deep-tan head with good retention following a faux-cascading action. Color was a deep, inky brown (SRM = 44) with ZERO light penetration. Nose smelled of dark chocolate; dried, dark fruits and a nutty quality that put me in mind of a Cadbury Fruit & Nut Bar. Shame on me! Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was initially smoky, if not burnt, followed by dried dark fruits and toasted nuts. Wow. Finish was semi-dry, very smoky, slightly salty. I CANnot say that I am nuts about this beer, but as a novelty, I will put almost anything in my mouth.

2.47/5  rDev -32.1%

Poured from a hand-stamped (and maybe filled it seems) can into my Gandhi Bot tulip. Let it warm up for a few minutes before reviewing.

A: Pours a great dark brown with a finger's worth of tan head that dissipates slowly to a thin layer. Some deep ruby red on the edges when held up to the light. Off to a good start.

S: Something's not right here. For a beer whose reviews note the roastiness of the malts, I'm picking up on dark fruit notes, specifically prunes. When I really search for it, I get a touch of chocolate, but not much beyond that.

T: Vinegar up front, which gives away to more of the dark fruits and that same hint of chocolate. I'm guessing that's a hint of what should have been. Disappointing to say the least.

M: I don't even want to take another sip to get a better judgment of the mouthfeel. The carbonation is a bit too high, though the viscosity isn't too bad. Not exactly redeeming.

O: My buddy got this directly from the brewery and I'm guessing this was a prototype can. I can only hope that the cans that went out for distribution and wider sales were improved in canning conditions because this obviously got oxygenated. I'm a believer in reviewing the beer as consumed, but I wouldn't think twice to try it again if I saw it to see if this truly was a fluke.

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to match1112. An odd want of mine. 12 oz can into a tulip glass. I'll refrain from using ball puns in my review.

A - Pours a jet black body. Mocha foam forms initially but fizzles away in a soda like fashion. Sits very still and a swirl does nothing to get the foam going again.

S - Roasted malts, chocolate, coffee and some salt. It smells pretty good. Can't say I detect any hints of testicles.

T - Again with the roasted malts and char, chocolate and some coffee notes, and then a salty finish. Pretty similar to any legit oyster stout that I've had. Medium bodied and lightly syrupy.

O - Not bad I suppose. I wasn't sure what to expect from this one. Beyond the novelty factor its a lightly salted and roasty stout.

3.56/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

33cl can served into a Guinness goblet in me friend's gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Expectations are above average to high.

Served cold. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a three finger dark khaki-tan colour head of nice thickness and caramel. Nice creaminess. Great (~10 minute) retention. Nice light lacing.

Body colour is an opaque black; not quite a jet black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it looks pretty good.

Sm: Roast, cream, dark malts. Caramel. Chocolate malt. A moderate strength aroma. Cream malts. Nuts.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through. A mild to moderate strength aroma.

T: Creamy, dark malts, chocolate malt, roasted barley. Not getting any testicle or bull meat notes from the aroma. Light coffee notes. Nuts. Nicely balanced and built. I do like it.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Decent complexity and subtlety.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Nicely creamy. Nice thickness. Nice creaminess. Suits the flavour profile well.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable. I'd definitely get again. It's a tasty brew. Quite good. I can't wait to finish this can.

Low B

4.05/5  rDev +11.3%

Ummm.... I guess it takes a lot of balls to make a Stout like this?!

Opaque dark chocolate in color, the beer pours with a dense blanket of foam over a depth of darkness beneath. Mocha brown in its color, the beer laces with random islands of foam. It's really not "tested" by lack of head or color.

The initial scent is spot-on chocolate milk. Firm but not over the top with roast character, the scent of latte, chicory, dark wood and heavy cream fill the nose along with a wild gamy scent. Lightly minerally, the aromas conclude with masculine-stripped sense.

And then in taste, there's the bittersweet chocolate, nuts, heavy toast and whipping cream affirms the taste of chocolate milkshakes. Softer coffee taste is mildly burnt, toffee-like, and of toasted gains. I clap of iron gives the beer a taste of game, copper and earthen wood. In its balance, the beer may lean a little to the left.

Much more viscous that I would have liked for a beer that discloses so much about it's ingredients- the heavy cream effect in thick and chewy. Notions of deviled ham spread comes to mind. But a long stronghold of texture has a slight late release of malty-dryness, moderate alcohol warmth, and a metallic punch that lands squarely below the waist.

I gotta say that I would have really gotten into the beer if the label hadn't reminded me so much about its "secret" ingredient. Those affirmations make me look for nuances to criticize. But with its gout-enducing character, it begs for a pairing with lamb fries, deer jerky, steamed mussels, and head cheese. I'm not sure we needed to learn so much about the "nuts" 'n bolts about the beer.

I'll be honest: I don't think I want a beer that's made with bull testicles to be this thick or rich.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

pour is opaque dark brown with a beige bubbly head. Nose is clean roast, chocolate, molasses, and a hint of nuttiness (no seriously). Taste is very big, strong roasted barley and lots of rich chocolate fudge, again there is a roasted almond flavor towards the back of the palate and a hint of sweetness. Relatively thick viscous body but falls off a touch in the finish. The roast lingers. I was terrified but actually pretty decent.

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to GRG1313 for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a clear super dark brown with a foamy khaki head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt and cocoa aromas. Taste is much the same with a cocoa flavor on the finish. There is a mild amount of roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer but I am not picking up any sort of unique aromas or flavors from the “special” ingredient.

4.18/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This poured out as a very deep brown color. The head is brown with not much retention. There is a very light scattered lacing. The smell of the beer Is roasted slightly sweet smelling with a spicy dark fruit essence. The taste of the beer has a good amount of malt, chocolate and a subtly saltiness. This Yates similar to some Russian Imperials. The mouthfeel is smooth, moderate carbonation and creamy. Overall I can't say that I can taste the testicles that are brewed into this beer but it's still a pretty good stout. I'm really glad I got to try this. It might be a novelty but this is a pretty solid brew.

4.04/5  rDev +11%

this started as an april fools joke a few years back, youtube the video, but now it is a reality, and its quite good. real sliced and roasted bull testicles in this. I expected it to be greasy in feel, but really its not, just soft bodied and satisfying. the color is like a cup of joe, with just a small mocha head. the nose is rally roasty, coffee too, but a lot of nearly burnt barley. touch of bitter chocolate as well, and a certain meaty quality, not like rauchbier, or even the maple bacon stuff, not smoked at all, just hearty I guess. the taste is just like the nose, but the smoothness of the flavors blending together and the velvety texture of the beer itself are notable, surprising even. I don't pick out the rocky mountain oysters themselves here specifically, but their collective impact on the final product is obvious. I have to give wynkoop all the credit in the world for actually going through with this, and having it be a beer that is so darn good to boot. mad props yo. also, clever two pack cans... hehe

Wynkoop Brewing Company Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout

Poured from a 12 can into a Nonick pint glass. Served chilled.

A) This pours out like motor oil. Thick and chewy looking. Black brew with a very thin dark tan head. This settles to a collar.

S) Nice roasted barley. Hints of coffee and dark chocolate. A pleasant sweetness. I'm not getting much of the bull testicles in the aroma.

T) Really quite nice. The chocolate is more present in the flavor. Nice mocha cafe aftertaste. Still not picking up bull testicles, although I don't have much of a bull ball baseline to go off of here. For the most part this follows the nose.

M) A solid medium bodied brew with lighter carbonation. This brew was super smooth and mouth coating. Not sure how bull testicles effect mouthfeel.

O) Clearly the fact this is brewed with bull testicles is marketing. Really, this is a damn fine stout. I'd go for this again.

3.77/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Type: 12-oz. can
Glass: Stone Ruination IPA pint glass
From: Beer Advocate’s ucsbmullet
Price: N/A
Purchased: Received it on Oct. 10, 2013
Consumed: Oct. 18, 2013
Misc.: N/A

Thanks to Nick for the chance to try this.

Poured an almost pitch black color with two fingers of almost reddish tan head that dissipated surprisingly quickly. Almost no lacing along the sides of the glass on the way down. Minimal retention on the top.

Smelled deep notes of tobacco, coffee beans, toffee, caramel, raisin, dates, roasted nuts and faint plum.

Tasted altogether a bit better than the smell. Got caramel, toffee, dark chocolate, chocolate syrup, Irish whiskey (I think), light coffee notes, nutty, dates and raisins.

Full body. Slick texture. Soft carbonation. Long, warming finish. This just kept getting better. Alcohol was well hidden. Definitely the best part of the beer.

A very nice stout that just kept getting better as it went down. I’d definitely have it again.

Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout from Wynkoop Brewing Company