Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout - Wynkoop Brewing Company

good

Wynkoop Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

A meaty foreign-style stout, Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout is made with Colorado base malts, roasted barley, seven specialty malts, Styrian Goldings hops, and 25 pounds of freshly sliced and roasted bull testicles.

(Beer added by: Knapp85 on 03-31-2013)
3.74/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I picked this up during my recent visit to The Old Lady in CANorado in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM) and they certainly do not shy away from references to its origins, either in terms of the label or its reviews. I see no reason to do so, either. I raise my glass in salute to my fallen SOA brother, Kip "Half Sack" Epps, since I also lost one of mine, albeit to torsion at the tender age of 15 y/o. The old lady CAN take no credit for this one as it was all about the boys.

From the CAN: "Wynkoop's Even Smaller Batch Series"; "A luscious, uniquely ballsy stout with notes of roasted barley, coffee and nuts."

My Crack produced a spurt of gooey goodness that splashed on my cheek. Oh my! This CAN was brimful and a bit of premature ejaculation was to be expected. I had two fingers of deep-tan head with good retention following a faux-cascading action. Color was a deep, inky brown (SRM = 44) with ZERO light penetration. Nose smelled of dark chocolate; dried, dark fruits and a nutty quality that put me in mind of a Cadbury Fruit & Nut Bar. Shame on me! Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was initially smoky, if not burnt, followed by dried dark fruits and toasted nuts. Wow. Finish was semi-dry, very smoky, slightly salty. I CANnot say that I am nuts about this beer, but as a novelty, I will put almost anything in my mouth.

4.23/5  rDev +16.2%

12 fl oz. can, with no apparent canned on or freshness date present. I ordered four cans of this beer along with four cans of Wynkoop Silverback Pale Ale and four cans of Wynkoop Rail Yard Ale from LetsPour.com. Clearly this is the most exciting beer of the package, and I'm stoked to have it in my grasp.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter glass.

A - Pours a "meaty" dark opaque brown colored body with about two fingers of creamy mocha / tan colored head. Head recedes, leaving a few thick rings of fluffy mocha lace.

S - Smell is slightly strange, and unsuspected. But then again, I wasn't exactly expecting normality with this one. Definitely some roasty malt notes, whipped chocolate cream, some smoke. A hint of tart dark fruits and some nutty wine-like characteristics. Smells pretty damn amazing, when it comes down to it.

T - Taste follows the nose: some dark roasty malts, barley, chocolate, cream, some smoke / char flavor, lots of tart dark fruits like figs & cherries, red grapes, some testicle. Okay, just kidding, there's no testicle taste present. Fairly surprising, and is bound to exceed your expectations of what you think this will be like. There is seriously a lot going on here.

M - Feel is lightly tart / sour with some bitter roast clinging to the palate. Ideal carbonation.

Overall, what started out as a joke and a play on words turned into something quite good. Definitely the best of the three beers by Wynkoop Brewing Co. that I have tried, and it is definitely a beer I would get again, given the opportunity. Highly recommended, if you can get your hands on it.

Wynkoop Brewing Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout ---4/5.

3.55/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

33cl can served into a Guinness goblet in me friend's gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Expectations are above average to high.

Served cold. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a three finger dark khaki-tan colour head of nice thickness and caramel. Nice creaminess. Great (~10 minute) retention. Nice light lacing.

Body colour is an opaque black; not quite a jet black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it looks pretty good.

Sm: Roast, cream, dark malts. Caramel. Chocolate malt. A moderate strength aroma. Cream malts. Nuts.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through. A mild to moderate strength aroma.

T: Creamy, dark malts, chocolate malt, roasted barley. Not getting any testicle or bull meat notes from the aroma. Light coffee notes. Nuts. Nicely balanced and built. I do like it.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Decent complexity and subtlety.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Nicely creamy. Nice thickness. Nice creaminess. Suits the flavour profile well.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable. I'd definitely get again. It's a tasty brew. Quite good. I can't wait to finish this can.

Low B