Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout - Wynkoop Brewing Company

good

Wynkoop Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

A meaty foreign-style stout, Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout is made with Colorado base malts, roasted barley, seven specialty malts, Styrian Goldings hops, and 25 pounds of freshly sliced and roasted bull testicles.

(Beer added by: Knapp85 on 03-31-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
jk3

05-12-2013 00:02:05 | More by jk3
cornpone

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

05-11-2013 21:14:41 | More by cornpone
Andrew61923

2.43/5  rDev -33.2%

Poured from a hand-stamped (and maybe filled it seems) can into my Gandhi Bot tulip. Let it warm up for a few minutes before reviewing.

A: Pours a great dark brown with a finger's worth of tan head that dissipates slowly to a thin layer. Some deep ruby red on the edges when held up to the light. Off to a good start.

S: Something's not right here. For a beer whose reviews note the roastiness of the malts, I'm picking up on dark fruit notes, specifically prunes. When I really search for it, I get a touch of chocolate, but not much beyond that.

T: Vinegar up front, which gives away to more of the dark fruits and that same hint of chocolate. I'm guessing that's a hint of what should have been. Disappointing to say the least.

M: I don't even want to take another sip to get a better judgment of the mouthfeel. The carbonation is a bit too high, though the viscosity isn't too bad. Not exactly redeeming.

O: My buddy got this directly from the brewery and I'm guessing this was a prototype can. I can only hope that the cans that went out for distribution and wider sales were improved in canning conditions because this obviously got oxygenated. I'm a believer in reviewing the beer as consumed, but I wouldn't think twice to try it again if I saw it to see if this truly was a fluke.

05-10-2013 02:32:40 | More by Andrew61923
UCLABrewN84

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to GRG1313 for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a clear super dark brown with a foamy khaki head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt and cocoa aromas. Taste is much the same with a cocoa flavor on the finish. There is a mild amount of roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer but I am not picking up any sort of unique aromas or flavors from the “special” ingredient.

05-08-2013 00:51:22 | More by UCLABrewN84

05-05-2013 12:40:06 | More by match1112
davey101

Connecticut

3.79/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to match1112. An odd want of mine. 12 oz can into a tulip glass. I'll refrain from using ball puns in my review.

A - Pours a jet black body. Mocha foam forms initially but fizzles away in a soda like fashion. Sits very still and a swirl does nothing to get the foam going again.

S - Roasted malts, chocolate, coffee and some salt. It smells pretty good. Can't say I detect any hints of testicles.

T - Again with the roasted malts and char, chocolate and some coffee notes, and then a salty finish. Pretty similar to any legit oyster stout that I've had. Medium bodied and lightly syrupy.

O - Not bad I suppose. I wasn't sure what to expect from this one. Beyond the novelty factor its a lightly salted and roasty stout.

05-05-2013 05:18:57 | More by davey101

04-21-2013 03:45:43 | More by cfh64
EgadBananas

Louisiana

3.63/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours black, brown head, bits of lace.
Aroma was roasty, with a large earthy note, some chocolate, cocoa and minerals.
Taste was heavy roast, dry, semi sweet, chocolate, earthy mineral quality, twinges of coffee.
Nearly full body, somewhat silky, creamy, and dry.

While overall good, I wasn't completely thrilled with some parts of its make up, not sure though if it has anything to so with bull balls, since I've never came across them apart from this beer. Worth the try though. For sure

04-16-2013 23:36:48 | More by EgadBananas

04-13-2013 12:29:29 | More by rolandboy
BEERchitect

Kentucky

4.05/5  rDev +11.3%

Ummm.... I guess it takes a lot of balls to make a Stout like this?!

Opaque dark chocolate in color, the beer pours with a dense blanket of foam over a depth of darkness beneath. Mocha brown in its color, the beer laces with random islands of foam. It's really not "tested" by lack of head or color.

The initial scent is spot-on chocolate milk. Firm but not over the top with roast character, the scent of latte, chicory, dark wood and heavy cream fill the nose along with a wild gamy scent. Lightly minerally, the aromas conclude with masculine-stripped sense.

And then in taste, there's the bittersweet chocolate, nuts, heavy toast and whipping cream affirms the taste of chocolate milkshakes. Softer coffee taste is mildly burnt, toffee-like, and of toasted gains. I clap of iron gives the beer a taste of game, copper and earthen wood. In its balance, the beer may lean a little to the left.

Much more viscous that I would have liked for a beer that discloses so much about it's ingredients- the heavy cream effect in thick and chewy. Notions of deviled ham spread comes to mind. But a long stronghold of texture has a slight late release of malty-dryness, moderate alcohol warmth, and a metallic punch that lands squarely below the waist.

I gotta say that I would have really gotten into the beer if the label hadn't reminded me so much about its "secret" ingredient. Those affirmations make me look for nuances to criticize. But with its gout-enducing character, it begs for a pairing with lamb fries, deer jerky, steamed mussels, and head cheese. I'm not sure we needed to learn so much about the "nuts" 'n bolts about the beer.

I'll be honest: I don't think I want a beer that's made with bull testicles to be this thick or rich.

04-04-2013 05:41:51 | More by BEERchitect
crobinso

04-04-2013 02:11:12 | More by crobinso
Knapp85

4.19/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This poured out as a very deep brown color. The head is brown with not much retention. There is a very light scattered lacing. The smell of the beer Is roasted slightly sweet smelling with a spicy dark fruit essence. The taste of the beer has a good amount of malt, chocolate and a subtly saltiness. This Yates similar to some Russian Imperials. The mouthfeel is smooth, moderate carbonation and creamy. Overall I can't say that I can taste the testicles that are brewed into this beer but it's still a pretty good stout. I'm really glad I got to try this. It might be a novelty but this is a pretty solid brew.

03-31-2013 18:36:56 | More by Knapp85