Denison's Weissbier - Denison's Brewing Company

Denison's WeissbierDenison's Weissbier

Denison's Brewing Company
Ontario, Canada

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

Denison’s Weissbier has been brewed for twenty years in Toronto. From 1989 until 2003 it was brewed along with several other popular Bavarian beer styles at the brewpub on Victoria Street. While brewed there, it was known as Weizen.

Our Weissbier is an authentic Bavarian style wheat beer and has attracted an extremely loyal following and wonderful reviews from some of the world's top beer writers. In 2002 Denison's Wheat Beer became rated #1 in the world in the 'German Hefeweizen' category on ratebeer.com, and has remained in that place to this date.

Denison's Weissbier is true to style, served unfiltered and is very refreshing. Although its only ingredients are malted barley, malted wheat, imported hops, water and yeast, the special Bavarian yeast produces the classic but unusual flavours of a true wheat beer. Flavour notes such as banana, clove and vanilla are all present.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-12-2004)

EskimoDave, Nov 28, 2011

jimctin, Nov 17, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +23.9%

On tap at C'est What. This is the best Hefe I have had to date. Very fresh and full of flavour. Has a cloudy orange/yellow color. Great retention and lacing.

Smells of bananas, yeast, citrus and other fruits. The yeast and banana scent becomes stronger as I drink.

After a long day of walking around Toronto this just hit the spot. Very refreshing and smooth. Tastes of bananas, citrus, spices and yeast. If I could buy a keg to take with me I honestly would.

irishkyle21, Jul 21, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +23.9%

On tap at Beerbistro, Toronto.

In a word: awesome. Hands down the best hefe weizen I've had, which may not be saying much since I'm not that experienced. But I'm so happy this comes from a local brewer and is available at a lot of regional pubs. Wish Denison bottled it.

Poured a gorgeous cloudy yellow into the correct glassware. Smell is sweet and yeasty, with bananas and starchy fruits dominating.

Incredibly thick, coating mouthfeel, perfect for the style. Bananas, cloves, coriander, and other spices. Just slightly smokey, no malt bite at all, and a pleasant fruit aftertaste like you might get from good bananabread or some kind of light cake.

This was so good I almost went ahead and ordered the Denison's Dunkel for my next course at Beerbistro, but I figured I'd branch out a bit and try it another time. I'll now be looking for both beers in the future. Highly recommended!

crwills, Mar 01, 2006
4.88/5  rDev +23.9%

I like Hefeweizens and I have to say, this is my favorite of the style. This is a super fresh sample from Volo.

Pours a glowing orange color with lots of haze. The pancake like head lasts for ever and leaves infinite amounts of lace. The aroma is full of all kinds of fruit, especially bananas. Some spicy (hop?) notes and yeastiness is also prominent in the nose. The taste is a rich and complex mix of berries, melons, citrus, banana, bubble gum, cloves, papaya, vanilla and tonnes of other flavors I forgot about. A bit of hop flavor holds up the rear. The mouthfeel is thick and creamy with a perfect amount (medium low) of carbonation.

This is THE summer beer in my opinion, its fruitier than most Hefe's and also richer and more complex. Its truly an incredible beer that everyone who visits Toronto must try.

CAMRAhardliner, Jun 07, 2006
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

It's nice to finally see this local gem on the LCBO shelves instead of just on tap. I will be enjoying many at home in the future.

It pours a deep, hazy golden yellow, nice and opaque as expected of the stile. A massive pure white head crowns the elixir lasting well past the halfway mark. Chunks of yeast settled on the bottom with a few catching the sides of the glass.

All the usual suspects for the style showed up in the nose. Right up front were hits of citrus, clove and bubblegum. A mild clove presence cam through accompanied by strong sour apple/ripe fruit esters. A suggestion of bread dough from the yeast came to mind followed by some wet phenol notes.

A big punch of spice and smooth citrus notes were tasted right away, cloves and cinnamon. Mild tartness akin to green apples lent a very refreshing note to the already thirst quenching brew. The spice flavours continues with a nice biting pepper taste, cayenne like in nature. Yeast flavours crept into the brew near the finish, which was overall very clean. Not too much in the way of hop flavour, as to be expected, the balance is there though. A nice body just as one would expect of a Weissbier rounds out this fine local offering.

Overall a damn fine beer and a dead ringer of the style. It's good to see some solid offerings locally made. I can't wait for spring and summer to drink this en mass in my backyard.

Reinheitsgebot71, Nov 20, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Had this in a tall Weizen glass with showed off it's impressive appearance. Cloudy goldenrod with a bubbly white head with fair lacing and retention. Aroma of wheat, citrus, and a bit of acidic yeast. Taste was very wheaty and very refreshing, with a bit of cloves, very straightforward, but great. Very smooth and slightly creamy mouthfeel. This a very easy-drinking Hefe-weizen, and I'd like seven please.

tatterdash, Dec 14, 2004
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The pint had a dense creamy head on top of a beautifully cloudy, buttery amber beer. The head formed dense lace on the sides of the glass and lasted through the entire pint, with a half inch remaining at the bottom of the glass when I finished. The aroma consisted of citrus and banana with a nice dose of clove spiciness. It starts a bit acidic and citrusy, but with a pleasant sweetness at the same time. Light spiciness along with restrained bitterness and a dry, clean finish. Very refreshing and thirst-quenching while retaining a good complexity of flavours. The texture was quite smooth and a bit slick, with a medium body and medium/high carbonation. Definitely one of the finest hefeweizens I've had the pleasure of tasting and this is one of my standard session beers when I'm out just looking for a couple of pints.

DrJay, Jun 21, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Thanks to Eat for this wonderful Hefeweizen, much appreciated! 473ml can poured into a Laurelwood pint glass.

A- Hazy straw, golden sun drenched fields of wheat... a finger of quickly dissipating head. No lacing to speak of.

S- Banana... lots and lots of banana... hints of clove and bubble gum. My lady friend loves it, I have to agree it smells wonderful.

T- A little banana, a suggestion of bubble gum... its has a wonderful almost floral component... chamomile? Tastes like delicious.

M- Nice Carbonation, light body, refreshing. This beer was made for summer.

D- Exceptional! This one is a session-able summertime jam! You have a BBQ and you need beer? Pick up this lil gem.

Dear Mr Denison, We would like some of your beer please.

Sincerely, British Columbia

Tmappin, May 22, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

A: A darker Amber than most hefe weizens. Plenty of hefe, very turbid, very nice. Head is nicely retained, and leaves a little lace!

S: Banana bread with a little citrus.

T: Bready malt, with a little caramel & citrus and a ton of banana flavour!

M: Body is on the heavy side of moderate (quite full for the style), with a smooth, velvety texture. Moderate carbonation works well.

D: Really great.

Derek, Feb 21, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +12.4%

My first Wheat beer on tap.... wow! Really great to find a good wheat beer on tap.. and a local too. I the colour was a little on the orange side, nice head and a glorious, strong aroma of cloves, bannana, citrus.
Taste was very good, a hint of banana and a fruity finish. Very good mouthfeel, maybe a bit dry. Drinkability was really nice too. Hopefully I will have a chance to visit Toronto in the summer and have a few of these on some patios.

SaunaKing, Mar 16, 2005
4.4/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

473ml can poured into pint glass april22 2010

A very cloudy peachy orange with lots of bubbles popping up from everywhere, a dense white head falls fast and leaves no lace

S a fair bit of banana, some spice, a little lemon rind and some bubblegum not bad at all pretty much what I expect from a good example of the style

T thank god it mimics the smell only with a tiny bit of yeast and some cereal. I'm impressed by this one on par with the best wheat beers I've ever had

M light and fluffy in the mouth, well carbonated and very refreshing

D I could drink a large number of these bad boys with little effort. far as great summer beers go this would be high on my list

thanks ritzkiss for knocking this one off the Canadian top 25 for me. I see no reason why this one won't stay there for a long long time

wordemupg, Apr 23, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Yet another courtesy of TheHammer. Thanks pal.

Pours a pale, hazy, golden straw colour with pastel butter-yellow highlights. Only one finger of creamy white, but quickly dissipating head tops this beer that still leaves some nice tightly knit, sticky lacing. An aggressive amount of carbonation streams up the surface of the glass. I definitely expected a more pronounced head when I took in consideration the style, but nonetheless, a decent looking beer.

Nice smell of banana, clove, bubblegum, lemon, light biscuity malt and creamy wheat which all falls against a sour backdrop.

Wet wheat, banana and bubblegum upfront followed by a big kick of lemon and light orange, finished off by a creamy, buttery malt touch. All of these flavours effortlessly transition into eachother, making this very pleasant to drink.

Extremely well balanced, creamy and very refreshing with the great citrus bite.

Judging from the appearance alone, I didn't think this hefe would be anything special, but everything that followed justified its place in the Canadian top 25. The transition from sweet to citric to smooth and buttery is almost unparalleled. The citrus being so pronounced at the beginning was unusual to me but I love how Denison's thought outside of the box of the standard hefe. It also greatly contributed to its drinkability and level of refreshment. I'm proud to say this beer is Canadian.

ludachris, Nov 11, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

Very cloudy yellow, slight orange juice tint to it, nice big creamy head, generous lace. Smells overwhelmingly of banana, clove, spiciness, the way a weiss should smell. Taste is sweet malt, banana again, cloves again, very rich and full flavour and a nice pear finish. High carbonation, medium bodied, one of the better weisses I've had!

Viggo, Jun 25, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

For my 100th review I decided to celebrate a can of recently acquired Denison's Weissbier given it's recent release, preference for wheat beers and to try one of the best beers in Canada's top 25 and one of the top Hefe's.

Appearance: Pours with a cloudy honey colored gold that boasted a solid thumb of head. However the head quickly dissipated which left me more then a little disappointed. I can see very nice signs of carbonation in the body.

Smell: A little bit of warming to come out but a bouquet of lemon, banana, cloves and a touch of wheat malt. The down side, I've caught some distressing acidic sour smells in the background.

Taste: Each sip differs slightly from the last, something I've never really had in a beer. I'm not 100% sure how I feel about it, but it does make for an interesting drink so I'll call no foul. The beer seems to consistently start with a nice wheat malt with a solid banana taste and then shifts to one of many different tastes. Differing mixtures of Cloves, Banana, Wheat malt, lemon, pear, grape and even Bubblegum, all in varying amounts and varying times. The only problem however, is I am catching a consistent undertone of that sour acidic flavor that I caught off the nose, and it is what's preventing this beer from being exceptional, as it really stops the sweeter, spicier elements from coming out.

Mouthfeel: Very nice, solid carbonation save for the complete lack of head retention which sadly digs the rating a bit. No problems as the beer cycles between flavors. The downside is the aftertaste that does not linger too long. It does leave a decent amount of pleasant banana flavour, however it is coupled with more of that acidic sour lemon. I will admit, it does subside, it leaves the pallet clean but it seems more of an interference while it is there.

Drinkability: Refreshing, no gas issues, goes down well enough, no stomach issues and all around great. Pretty much, just like everything else about this beer, the only thing that hampers the drinkability is that sourness which stops me from just going to town on it.

Final Thoughts: This was a very good beer, and frankly I'm somewhat inclined to blame its flaws on the fact it's canned and may have suffered from improper storage on the LCBO's part as I picked it up off an unrefrigerated counter. When will they learn that unpasteurized beer that has no preservatives should be refrigerated, and not just left on the counter. Suspecting this though, I looked over some of the other reviews and it seems to be a slight issue with the canned version.

I'm still going to chalk it up to the canning/storage, however, if it the sourness was intentional, then I still think that there are some kinks to be worked out as a bit more sweetness would have been welcome. Still, even the canned version is worthwhile, despite the flaws. I want to try this beer on tap closer to the source as a result of this, and eventually I'm sure I'll get the chance to head to hogtown and do so.

TheHammer, Oct 16, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On Tap at C'est What, on a quick stop in T.O.
Cloudy yellow color, with gold shimmery hilights. Big white head, good staying power, lots of thick lace sheets.
Lots of typical hefe aromas, banana, clove and other spices. Flavor was just like it smelled. Bananas and other fruit, cloves, very light and refreshing. Mouthfeel was very nice, creamy smooth with lots of bubbles.
A very good hefeweizen, may be the best I have tried. I consider myself lucky to have found this one.

Note to Self: Ranked #12/25 Top Beers in Canada, and #7 Hefeweizen when I got to try it

BigBry, Mar 19, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

This is apparently Canada's best weissbier - about time I got to try it, before tearing into Cafe Volo's more potent offerings...

This beer appears a hazy light peach colour, with three fingers of foamy, creamy white head, which leaves a bit of specked lace around the glass as it slowly recedes. It smells of soft grainy wheat, banana, and some mild white pepper. The taste is quite fruity and sweet - apple and pear, mostly - over a very soft wheatiness, and light, dry earthy hops. The carbonation is moderate, but fades quite quickly, the body decently weighted, smooth, and fruity, and it finishes slightly off-dry, with a smidgen of yeast.

Well, even though I am not a big fan of the style, this is still the best weissbier that I have ever had - smooth, tasty, and very enjoyable to drink.

biboergosum, Jan 28, 2010

randallpink, Aug 10, 2013

batmanbach, May 07, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

Big thanks to viggo for handing this out as an extra and to Azurelimits for bringing a can to a recent tasting.

A: Pours a hazy, light yellow-gold with a nice white head.

S: A bit of banana and bubblegum in the nose, but nothing too overpowering in either direction. A nice delicate balance.

T: Banana, bubblegum, and some soft wheat characteristics. Everything is pretty delicate, but overall a very good flavor.

M: Light and creamy. Good carbonation and very refreshing.

D: A very, very nice drinkable brew. Something that would definitely be a summer staple of mine if I had regular access.

Thorpe429, May 03, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a hazy golden with a nearly opaque tint and a thin ring of white head.
Smell is highly spiced with a very wheaty aspect.
Taste is well complex for a wheat. Starts with a light spice and transits to a wheat/yeast character.
Finish is very dry- yeasty spice on the aftertaste.
Drinks solidly- very refreshing.

ThaBobfather, Apr 25, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +7.1%

Notes are from last month, enjoyed in my hotel room while working on the road. Murky honey-golden colour with two finger white foamy, creamy head that settled to a thin white film. Sheet and ribbon lace turn spotty on the glass. Slow, steady, persistent carbonation - sure looks good!

Yeasty aroma, slightly spicy nose, allspice. Taste is all wheat beer, banana, clove, touch of sour at mid-mouth, more spice, slight acidity gives it a cleansing mouthfeel. Full play to malted wheat and barley, hops not too dramatic. This is a pretty tasty offering overall. Yeast, described on the can as "specially selected", weighs in heavily and there is a sour, dark fruit under tone that I'm getting that meshes well with the wheat beer chassis. Thanks to the small glasses in my hotel room, the yeast cloud is more visible with every pour.

Thanks to biegaman for dropping this home grown classic on me, I've lost my Denison's Weissbier virginity!

ThatWineGuy, Dec 17, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +7.1%

On-tap at C'est What?, in Toronto.

Even for a style that is notoriously murky, Denison's is cloudy. The high protein content of the wheat has impaired clarity the same way a few pints of this impairs my ability to dribble a basketball. Its colour is like that of pulpy, blanched orange juice. While I've always associated Denison's with a thick, moussy head, this sample is flat as a prairie mile.

No actual spices were used - unless you consider bona fide German yeast a spice - but you could easily imagine coriander, perhaps even subdued clove. That phenolic zest, however, doesn't lay so much as a single glove on the beer's effervescent, citrusy fruitiness. Fresh-cut wheat and grain also stack up, imparting vivid images of rural farmland.

The taste might seem straightforward enough but it is a cathedral of holy German hefeweizen flavours: crisp, sun-kissed wheat enveloped in mushed bananas, citrusy tang and a candy coating of bubblegum. A generous splash of vanilla turns out an angelic match for the beer's herbaceous notes. It could easily acquire EU citizenship.

"Smooth" is a term best used in a relative sense; this weizen is nowhere near as fluid or neutral as the lagers most people consider 'easy drinking'; if anything, the beer's coarse graininess, fiery phenols and tongue-splitting acidity might prove too pungent for some. Still, the beer's refreshing and pleasant disposition give it definite mass-appeal leanings.

Denison's Weissbier is certainly deserving of its cult following here around the greater Toronto area and as a staple of hometown pride for Ontario beer geeks. For those who long to go to Bavaria, it's a far more affordable way to stamp your passport and, absent the alps, harsh vowels, city squares and castle cathedrals, actually seems a little out of place here.

biegaman, May 12, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +6.6%

I just had this on tap today at Volo and had to re-review, since it's apparently a completely different beer on tap.

Poured with a massive, bright-white meringue-like head, Denison's Weissbier is a glowing golden colour, hazy and opaque. Sheets of rocky lace all down the glass. Awesome retention. There could be no improvement.

Big smell, featuring lemony citrus, wheat, yeast and a pleasant astringency. Musty with a slight banana scent. Nice.

The taste is lots of wheat, citrus, a touch of banana and spice and a bit of dust/must. Prickly bitterness. Wheaty finish. Pretty unique in terms of weissbiers I've had.

Awesome full body for a weiss. Refreshing high carbonation. Great feel.

Completely different brew on tap and canned! The canned version is only a shadow of the tap version, in my opinion. This is extremely sessionable and one of the very best, if not the best, weissbier I've had.

---

Canned version from 02-11-2010:

Poured into a weizen glass. Dull, straw-coloured and opaque with cloudiness, its solid cover of bright white head fades to a ring around the glass. Barely any lacing. 3.5

Yeast, freshly baked bread, wheat, peppery, light hops, citrus, a little funky astringency. Only a touch of the banana you would expect in such a beer. Nice smell, but I could use some more presence. 3.5

Wheat, spices (coriander), a pleasant astringency, slight sweetness. Decent hop presence on the finish. I didn't think it was all that great at first but it grew on me. I like how it's a little more bitter than usual for a weiss beer, leaving a slightly drying finish. No alcohol present. 4.0

The feel is pretty nice. Medium body and lightly carbonated.4.0

I don't know...in my opinion there are a couple much better weiss beers in Quebec I would put on the Canadian top 25 ahead of this one. Still, this is quite a drinkable brew and one that I'm happy exists in Ontario, considering the relative absence of decent beers here. 4.0

eat, Feb 11, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +6.6%

The first thing I reached for at Volo. Pint.

Magnificent orange cloudy body; capped with huge pure white head. Soapy and rocky, perfect weiss look.

Aromas: banana, dairy, yeast. Bread. Simple but great.

Palate: more banana, chalky, snappishly dry, some subtle spice, yeast, great mouthfeel. What can I say. Renews my faith in Ontario micros.

Antilochus, May 26, 2008