Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Oro De Calabaza - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Oro De CalabazaOro De Calabaza

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Bière de Garde |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-28-2004

Reviews: 696 | Hads: 1,639
2.48/5  rDev -39.8%

Pours a bright orange/yellow with a slight clarity. Thick two finger white head. Aroma is orange/citruis with a hint of spice. Taste is fruity and tart, reminds me of tang. Average texture and body. Not an enjoyable beer, taste was odd and very un-beer like. An interesting experience but not recommended as a session beer.

2.53/5  rDev -38.6%

Batch 357. 375ml bottle poured into a Tulip Glass.

A - Pours a slightly hazy glowing gold with a huge, fluffy white head that eventually settles to a thick haze, leaving tons of spotty lacing clinging to the glass. Beautiful!
S - Big, funky aromas of green apple, white vinegar, lemon zest, oak, and barnyard funk. Very nice, lots of complex Brett character.
T - Holy cow, that's a lot of Brett. Too much, the taste just shot up my entire sinus. Dirty, dusty flavors with some funk, but man, I can't do it. Need to try this fresh, as is the Brett just beat me.
M - Fairly thin-bodied, with very sharp carbonation and an incredibly dry, dusty finish.
O - I'm gonna have to re-review this, I feel like it didn't get a fair shake, especially since I'm not sure how it was stored for the last 2+ years. I'll be back.

2.83/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

750 ml bottle. 8% ABV.

Pours out to a cloudy light amber to golden-orange, forming a tall soapy white head with good retention and minimal lacing. The aroma is at first kinda Unibroue, with the spicy phenols and cloves, but is marred by septic hospital and a rubbery and musty note comparable to wet cardboard...probably due to poor barrel aging. Alcohol is evident in aroma with moderate fusels owing to an inappropriately warm ferment. Carbonation is moderate, and the mouthfeel is ruddy with a medium body. Taste begins nicely enough with the fruity esters, body, and spicy cloves of a tripel, but as expected, the oxidized rubber and cardboard detected in the nose assaults the tongue halfway thru, leaving a dank feeling in the mouth. The finish is punctuated by mild fusel alcohols (though not as bad as the Roja). Listed as a Biere de Garde here, but much closer to a triple, IMO. Bitterness is quite mild, and the finish is semi-wet. Acetone nail polish remover tarnishes the palate and gives it a boozy edge.

This beer has promise, but as it is with the ferment too warm, it's not a beer I would care to have again. If they cleaned it up, it would be pretty good, and it might not give me a headache. Nice try, but these guys have to do their homework.

2.85/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured a nice hazy pure gold into a Unibroue tulip, looking almost like the color of egg yolk. Good fluffy white head.

Big time Belgian yeast smell, tangy and spicy. A touch of hop presence.

Very, very sour and dry. I like flemish sour and tart berliner-weisse styles, but this one pushes it a bit for me. I don't know if its the combination of the Brett and the overtly citrusy flavor and spice, but I can't really dig it.
I really like Jolly Pumpkin's Wit though.

Very light, crisp and dry, but it makes me pucker a bit too much. The aftertaste is appropriately dry.

Honestly, I think a might pass on this one. Maybe its just no the right day for me for this particular biere de garde.

2.92/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

s - batch 261, 750ml bottle. served in a tulip corsendonk glass.

a - beautiful golden with a nice airy white head.

s- orange sour oak, at first i thought it stunk and was rancid, maybe it was just too much oak.

t - oak tar cardboard then a little citrus. it did not taste too good. and i had some other sours that i like. hopefully just batch 261 was not that good, or it was aging too long and got some bad oak in there. but these are high quality beers.

m - carbonated at first, but it faded too fast as i sipped it. just took a little while to get used too. then had a little sour,spice,oak,citrus flavor.

d - i did not enjoy this one, but they deserve another shot because of the art of brewing oak aged beers is a real craft.

2.93/5  rDev -28.9%

My first of the kind, and my first jolly pumpkin, it is very different considering I prefer a good dark thick porter. It pours a very deep gold but very foggy with a massive white head that has a golden tint. Smells very hoppy with many citrus and yeasty tones. Tastes mostly citrus to begin with hints of alcohal and sour notes. Leaves a dry misty taste with citrus overtones. This beer is very carbonated and yet refreshing, a decent mouthfeel, but nothing that was unexpected. Not a beer that I could drink many of in one sitting, too much carbonation and very overpowering after one glass. It is worth trying, definitely not your typical beer, and something that can expand your taste.

2.95/5  rDev -28.4%

Poured this beer from a 25 oz. bottle. The beer was warmed at room temperature for 15 minutes before opening. I initially drank the beer over dinner (an earthy beef and lentil soup) but finished it by itself.

Appearance: The beer poured a clear yellow with a moderate white head.

Smell: The initial sensation is one of peaches or maybe apricots with a little vanilla and spicy hint.

Taste: The beer surprised me given the alleged style (Biere de Garde). The beer is decidedly tart and sour with a little bit of spiciness. There is a sweet component that is generally overshadowed by the tartness. It resembles a lemonade or certain champagnes.

Mouthfeel: The beer is smooth with moderate body.

Drinkability: Generally easy drinking considering the tartness.

Overall this isn't a bad beer. My complaint is that it doesn't seem to fit the style in my opinion. I was expecting a bit more earthiness and heavier malt character. This beer seems like a cross between a Flemish sour (red) and a saison maybe. In that, it was disappointing.

This is a big bottle. I like big bottles. That means more beer. A big bottle will produce nearly two pints for us… and depending on what type of day I have had, might be a good thing! Most of these beers come in big bottles. This weekend, Jake came over and we drank a few beers. He was saying that the bigger bottles, because it’s a single bottle, cost more on average. He’s right. I don’t get that… a 4- or 6-pack will have more beer and cost less. Go figure!

In the Glass: In the glass, it looks like a wheat. It’s thick, cloudy, and reminds me of a good German wheat beer. The head is also fluffy and white. I picture myself at a German bar drinking a German beer… eating a German sausage! (Not sure why this beer makes me think of sausage.)

Nose: I could smell this thing as I was pouring it out. It has a VERY strong nose. It smells like a mixture of booze, flowers, and a touch of citrus. Considering how it smelled when pouring it out of the bottle, it doesn’t smell that great in the glass.

Flavor: The flavor is intense. It’s got a ton of carbonation, and is almost sour. The beer is quick to hit the tongue, explode with the fruity flavors that you got in the nose, and then is gone as fast as it showed up. It doesn’t stick around, and the aftertaste (which we will get to) is very faint. It’s a good flavor though, and the carbonation doesn’t even make me think beer.

Mouthfeel: Did I say it was carbonated? It is. The book said it was compared to champagne. I have had some pretty bubbly champagne, but this is one of the most carbonated beers I have ever had. The entire tongue is slammed with bubbles, and even as you swallow you are left with that “bubble” flavor. It’s not a bad flavor, but the bubbles are the most important feature of this beer.

Aftertaste: What aftertaste? There really isn’t one. It’s faint, at best. Even the burp is weak compared to the flavors that are present when you swallow. I don’t really want an aftertaste though. I want to go back in for another drink!

The beer is good, and while the book tells me to compare it to a champagne, the bubbles aren’t that obvious. They are there, but not compared to the forced burp that a good glass of champagne will bring you. I do like the nose, and the florals just take over as you smell your way to a sip. I think this beer would taste better outside on a hot summer day. Bottoms up people!

shared this with bieristgut. from the bottle. poured a dark golden with a big white fluffy head with some floaties. aroma sour grapes, hops, malts, grapefruit dry white wine. flavor alcohol, grapes, malts, a sourness, pine. was not impressed with this.

3.03/5  rDev -26.5%

Appearance: Golden, light, small head
Smell: Pineapple, sour, sweet
Taste: Sweet and sour, pineapple, malty, fruity, tropical, floral notes
Mouthfeel: light bodied - sparkling/bubbly - mine seemed maybe a bit thin...
Drinkability: good, light, refreshing

3.11/5  rDev -24.5%

A - An opaque orangish gold brew with about two fingers of head that don't last very long. Clumps of lacing cling to the sides of the glass.

S - Coriander, orange rind, grapefruit pith and lemon juice.

T - Taste is lightly sour grapefruit pith with a bit of granny smith apples, a musty earthy flavor. A mild amount of alcohol makes its presence known in the flavor. The dominant flavors though are in the aftertaste. The very potent bitter finish is dry, grassy, citrus pithy, earthy and funky - and I don't particularly care for it. It gets better toward room temp. There the bitterness is less dominant and more mellowed. I can't deny the craftmanship, but I can deny the appeal.

M - Neither drying not refreshing, smooth, thin bodied.

D - Not fantastic here. A bit strong, the bitterness is a tad unpleasant. I think I will pass on this in the future, I found the Calabaza Blanca to be much more pleasant as a whole. This Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales is pretty fantastic as a whole I must say though.

3.12/5  rDev -24.3%

Batch 257

A - Bright yellow with a gigantic fluffy white head. Not quite a gusher but it did start to foam out of the bottle before I started pouring. Well I take that back. After turning around I noticed that it is still foaming all over the coffee table.

S - Nice belgian funky with some tartness. Just a bit peppery.

T - Pretty funky. Not sour at all. That is disappointing. Spicy and peppery.

M - Nice and tingly.

D - It would be much more drinkable if the flavor was there.

This beer is just not my thing.

3.14/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.5

A - Intense golden yellow with obvious rising fine carbonation, initially left a finger of head, but faded to almost nothing.

S - Sour pear esters with dry tannin

T - Appropriately sour for the style, Belgian yeasts have never been to my taste, there is a pervasive yet mild/moderate funk, finishes surprisingly dry. All flavors are somewhat masked by the high carbonation, resulting in a citrus soda like sensation.

M- light to medium feel, but again the high carbonation results in a sensation akin to tonic water.

O- This is an excellent beer, but a departure from what I expected. I would never crave this.

3.14/5  rDev -23.8%

750mL bottle poured into wine glass. batch 303

Opens with a loud hissing sound and explodes everywhere. Suds gushed like crazy, going over the carpet and floor before I was able to salvage about half of the bottle.

After cleaning up the floor and counter - Pours a hazed straw color with a bubbled froth of white head. Retains with wispy film and some spotty lacing.

Scents of lemons and apple with citrusy pith and straw. Some faint tartness with dry edges, notions of hay and barrel presence.

A slight bite up front with a hint of floral hops. Lemon and rind with some grassy hay and green apple skin. Slight bretty funk and tartness. Some smoothness from barrel aging although pretty dry and crispy on the tongue. Finishes with some brett and faint sweetness.

Medium bodied, higher carbonation, dry and spritzy. This tasted alright but this wasn't the first time I had a gusher from JP, which is really annoying. I'd re-review this one if I have it again, but probably not until I run into it on tap.

3.18/5  rDev -22.8%

I loved the blanca from these people so was really eager to try what they called a Golden Ale. Batch 275.

Pours a giant head that you cant even shower out. Golden straw like, cloudy.

All I smell is the funk, we smell the funk, gotta smell the funk.

Kinda like sucking on a copper penny, but im not driving drunk. Some sweetness, but mostly funk.

Funk. (i know i shouldnt say that word)

I was disappointed by this beer. I gave it higher markings because I dont really like sours. I LOVED the blanca though. I bet for people who love sours, this brewery is fantastic.

3.18/5  rDev -22.8%

Drank from a snifter as I watched Sunday Night Football.

Appearance- Holy Shit! Over carbonated? Bad poor? Either way, huge 5 plus finger dirty white head forms that is so frothy and fluffy. It never seems to recede. Pours a light yellowish-orange that leaves the most random, spotty lacing ever.
Smell- Has that familiar Belgium mustiness with an unfamiliar surrounding. Very acidic citrusy notes come through with spicy banana, clove and apricot. There’s also a subtle earthy woodiness to the nose that seems to mellow everything out a bit.
Taste- Starts fairly sour with some yeasty mustiness that slowly gives way to a very peppery fruitiness. Sour green apples, apricot, and in a way, ginger are all perceived. A light oak woodiness lingers for a while before it’s swept away by the gentle warming of the alcohol.
Mouthfeel- Very light, airy feel with medium to light carbonation. Way less carbonation than I was expecting after opening it.
Drinkability- I don’t particularly care for tart beers but this one wasn’t too bad. There was enough other stuff going on that it covered up most of the lemony puckering that bothers me. I can see how people would really enjoy it though. It’s worth trying.

3.2/5  rDev -22.3%

Easy, average pour; no complaints. A yellow, suddy, dustbowl; top heavy, but thin.

Pepper & ginger, banana & pineapple, Juicyfruit, clay, gasoline, & plastic.

Tangerine, honey, banana, lemon pepper, smoke, sourdough, salt, with more noticeable alcohol then I'd like.

Stiff carbonation, tacky, very acidic.

Good for a toast, but I'm not too eager to share.

3.21/5  rDev -22.1%

Tried this one a couple Sundays ago at Hops & Pie in North Denver. Poured a light golden color with a rocky white head. Slightly tart on the nose, with aromas of lemon, wheat and green apple. On the palate, light bodied and tart, with flavors of wheat, sour green apple and lemon.

3.26/5  rDev -20.9%

750 mL bottle poured into a pint glass. Batch 257. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Hazy sedimenty orange. Huge head. Sticky lacing. Great retention.

Smell - Lemony tangy, slightly funky. Big bready malt presence. Still smells like every other Jolly Pumpkin.

Taste - A little tangy. Citrus tang. Not funky. Bready biscuit malts that tames the sour. And it tastes like every other Jolly Pumpkin.

Mouthfeel - Not as light as I'd expect. Well carbonated, but surprisingly heavy for what it is.

Overall - I don't think I'll ever buy another Jolly Pumpkin again.

3.26/5  rDev -20.9%

available @ oak tree buy rite, edison nj

the carbonation is insane.. to the point of actually pissing me off. this beer should come with a warning label.. this is from my cellar, completely still and it near exploeded all over the place upon opening.. and didn't stop either. open this over a sink fer goddsake.. man this really pissed me off!
ok, now that I got this bitch poured...
3 stacked fingers of thick foamy white head.. craggy also, like edward james olmos' face. golden straw in color with lots of carbonation streaming up.
retention: excellent
lacing: excellent
the premature carbonation ejaculation aside this is a great looking brew.

belgian funk with hints of lemon and spice (pepper), there is your typical hay smell also (dry).. not much else, a decent smelling belgian take

taste etc...
geuzeish with more carbonation than your typical geuze. the tartness seems a touch out of whack though... like it is just missing the mark. very grassy flavor from the yeast, hell, this may be like sucking on grass,
the mouthfeel is ok considering the massive carbonation here, but the carbonation is really really distracting... not to mention it made me clean up my damn desk... there isn't too much to this.. it lies somewhere between a saison and a geuze but doesn't really shine in any category

I won't be revisiting this one... jolly makes better brews than this.

3.27/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

1 pint 9.4 fl oz brown glass bottle with appealing label art served into a Lost Abbey teku in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are pretty high given the brewery. Batch 1246. Bottle 04/02/13.

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a three finger wide head of white colour. Nice thickness and creaminess. Decent smooth consistency. Head retention is good - about 7-8 minutes. Nice fluffy thick lacing coats the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a translucent glowing orange of above average vibrance. No floating yeast particles/sediment is visible.

Overall, it's a good appearance for a biere de garde and I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Light farmhouse notes including Belgian yeast. Has some light vague funkiness. Belgian/French pale malts. Floral hop character. Limes. A hint of sea salt. Some citrusy notes - mango primarily. Clove. Orchard fruit.

No alcohol is detectable.

A pleasant appealing aroma of mild strength. A bit too farmhouse for a biere de garde.

T: Floral hop character. Belgian pale malts. Limes. Backgrounded tones of light oak are present, but there's no rich toasty wood character or vanilla. I think the oak character here works well. Golden malts. Clean barley. I don't quite pick up on any white pepper. There's some very light brettanomyces yeast character. It certainly evokes farmhouse characteristics. A biteen lactic.

Balanced and enjoyable, if a bit simple. It's a cohesive build, but not a gestalt one. Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour. Not real intricate or nuanced, but it does have some subtlety.

Mf: Smooth and wet. A biteen smacky. Almost refreshing. Overcarbonated. Nice body and thickness.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, rough, scratchy, or astringent.

Suits the flavour profile generally well, but doesn't feel custom-tailored specifically to it.

Dr: A downable biere de garde, but not a fantastic one. Hides its 8% ABV well. Not Jolly Pumpkin's finest work, but pretty good stuff. I wouldn't get it again unless it was at a better price point (i.e./e.g. in Michigan). I'll easily kill this bottle.

A likable biere de garde that leans a bit too far towards the farmhouse ale compared to traditional French examples of the style.

Low B-

3.29/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Good freakin' grief, NEVER have I had such a foamer! This bomber has sat quietly in the DBF for months, I remove it and open w/o any undue jostling. White foam shot up over 6 inches in a river, like I had shook the bottle for a minute. I bet I lost ½ the bottle on the floor and bar.

White foam and lace dominate the spicy citrus with juicy fruits. Body is nuttin but foam. Surprised this didn't blow up in the fridge. Bummed out, what a waste. I think it was a $10 bomber, too.

3.31/5  rDev -19.7%

This was tasted at Feces Fest '08 with Onslow and my girl Melani.

My first Biere de Garde...that I remember drinking!

Batch #284

it pours up a murky natural peach juice look with a beautiful frothy off white head. great lacing. the nose is lemon zest, very floral, a mellow vinegar aroma, very subtle wood. the taste is very citrusy, lemons, subtle yeast, oaky, subtle spicy hops, subtle sweet malts, white pepper. full bodied, medium carbo, sweet finish, almost too sweet and too citrusy for my tastes.

3.31/5  rDev -19.7%

Purchased this bottle in Ann Arbor (not far from the brewery) in December 2004 and consumed it a few days later. Pours a cloudy light straw color with a small amount of guiness-like frothy bubbles that form a finger-thick mat of white head. Looks like a Belgian White. Smells of caramel and oranges. Sweet and enticing. Fine sharp carbonation bites early with a closely accompanying malt sweet and then a yeasty sour typical of belgians. Orange. Clove. Woody. Yuck, for some reason, I had in my head that this would be a smooth, clean, and sweet lager. Tiny bubbles continue to stream to the surface, keeping a complete layer of head across the surface. I find that the tiny carbonation bubbles that form on my tongue distract from the flavor and mouthfeel (which appears to be medium). As the beer warms, the clove and yeast-bready flavors become stronger. A smooth sweet is present, like the flavor of a green melon (muskmelon?). An odd combination with the sharp & fine carbonation and potent sour. I do NOT like funky belgians, and this beer is doing nothing to change that. A complete disappointment (but my scores reflect judgment of the beer in relation to its style). For the first time in my life, I'm going to dump a beer down the drain (2/3 of the bottle remains).

3.37/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours a light gold color with a white filmy head. Aroma is lightly tart with some citric notes including oranges. Also some marzipan maltiness and pepper. Flavor offers much less. Thin and watery, the mild esters and earthy funk don't come together very well in the finish. Seems a bit jumbled. Some random spices and bretty notes. Astringent on the palate.

Oro De Calabaza from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales