Oro De Calabaza - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Oro De CalabazaOro De Calabaza

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Bière de Garde |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-28-2004)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
RixBeer

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

Kevbo and I spilt this one again. Hmm is this an Abbaye de St. Bon Chien (2006) clone?

Pours a light yellow to orangish yellow color with a 1/2" head. Light lacing as the head dies down to a 1/4".

I swear you can smell the water and there's something I can't quiet place.

Sour, tart, lightly sweet. I swear to go if I didn't know it this is very very similar to BFM's Abbeye de St. Bon Chien (2006).

Lightly carbonated with a medium light body.

I could drink to of these and then be somewhere very close to heaven.

"Would an Abbeye de St. Bon Chien by any other name be as sweet?"

04-20-2008 04:03:21 | More by RixBeer
CortexBomb

3.7/5  rDev -10.4%

Pour is brilliant deep yellow with a monster white head on top...too much head actually, very difficult to get this beer out of the bottle because of all of the carbonation. Nose is very yeasty, with a strong spicy, peppery edge. Sour grass like most Jolly Pumpkin beers.

Flavour starts out tart, almost fruity. It then segues into light peppery sour tones with oak highlights, crisp finish. Much less aggressive in the sour department than most of the JP beers.

Mouthfeel, not altogether thick, but well-carbonated, good hop action, with a strong oak tone in the middle and a good, wine-like dryness, interesting. Drinkability, decent but not amazing. In terms of the beer itself, it's tasty but not particularly remarkable. In terms of rebuy, it's a skosh pricey, so I'm not in a hurry to pick it back up again.

The bottom line: JP has carved out a MI niche for themselves as purveyors of sour beer. Oro is another example of the style, but it is subdued enough to possibly have some more cross-over appeal. I personally found it solid but not remarkable. I do like the oak presence though.

04-17-2008 23:24:34 | More by CortexBomb
Avryle

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

A- uniformly hazy pale gold in color with a bright white head that leaves an exquisite spiderweb-like lacing.

S- Sour lemons, oak with a slight brandy undertone

T- Fun-kay. crab apples, corriander & nectarines very prevalent. Oak downplays the bitter funky finish, but that's not to say its gone, just not crazy-insane.

M- Crisp & dry. bitter finish

D- I tried it. Yea. not bad, but probably won't pick up another.

04-15-2008 00:32:42 | More by Avryle
aerozeppl

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Really nice cloudy orangish gold. Looks like a really great heff. Minimal amount of white head. Some lacing.

S: The oak is very noticeable in the nose. After that there are hints of brandy. Slight hint of funk in the nose as well. After that it is all sweetness.

T: Holy funkhouse. Not expecting this. The sour is there but the oak killed it down enough for it to be drinkable for me since I am not a fan of sour beers. You do get hints of the Belgian Ale through it all. Really complex beer.

M: Light to med body. The carbonation is spot on. Leaves a slight dryness on the tongue.

D: For me to say a sour beer is drinkable is something. Really well put together beer. The barrel aging is probably what saved this beer for me. It cut the funk down to a manageable level while still leaving enough of the bret to make it interesting. A friend had been recommendied their beers to me and I am glad I finally had one.

04-15-2008 00:08:02 | More by aerozeppl
geexploitation

Indiana

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a pale, bright golden color, with a big, high-carbonation-powered white head that leaves lots of lace and lasting pillow of foam on top of the beer. The nose has a mixed sour smell, with some of the funkiness of brett along side some sweeter wild yeast smells. In addition to the yeast, there's a substantial Belgian pale malt presence and hop-and-black pepper combo. On the palate, initially funky, followed by a sweeter middle in which those pale malts and some fruity Belgian yeast esters come to the fore. There's a pear element to the fruitiness. Toward the end, things get drier and more sour, with a slightly puckering feel. The finish is sharply acidic, which comes out of nowhere for this relatively soft sour beer. Mouthfeel is brisk with both acidity and some stony carbonation. Overall, this is very interesting, tasty and complex beer. The sourness is well-integrated with the Belgian golden ale aspects of the beer, so things are interesting while remaining tasty and drinkable.

04-14-2008 03:35:24 | More by geexploitation
Gmann

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Out of a 750ml capped bottle. Pours a bright hazy orange color with a decent pure white head that left a sparse cap. The aroma is of tart granny smith apples, cider, lemon. The taste is similar to the aroma. A big apple cider taste, with some lemony characteristics, earthy spices and a little hop in the end. The feel is quite light almost watery, it is well carbonated, and you can notice the 8% ABV in the end. Finishes on the tart side. Overall a very good brew, perhaps could use a touch more malt to add body and hide the booze better. Recommended.

04-13-2008 01:54:53 | More by Gmann
BucBasil

South Carolina

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

Appearance: Poured from the 750mL bottle into a tulip glass. The beer is a hazy peachy-orange color. Head is pure white, grew to three fingers thick and stuck around for a while.

Smell: Citrus dominates the nose, with a champagne-like undercurrent. There is a lingering spiciness that matches the evident alcohol. Finishes with a sort of soapy character that I wasn't a fan of.

Taste: Clean introduction that leads right into a pleasant sort of sourness that shocked me at first, but is definitely the centerpiece of the taste. Citrusy hops abound in the background, as does a peppery spiciness. Finishes very dry, showing off its alcohol content.

04-12-2008 20:34:04 | More by BucBasil
ccrida

Oregon

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Fairly new bottle, no batch sticker, but my shop has high turnover and I got the newest arrival and threw it in the cellar a few weeks ago. Served at cellar temp in my De' Proef tulip, the first pour was 90% foam. Subsequent pours were equally difficult to restrain, yielding a massive white head, very rocky with a ton of absolutely exquisite lace, over a bubbly clear pale golden ale. Subsequent pours resulted in huge chucks of foam sticking to glass well below the beer line. Man I love that!!!Glancing over at the bottle while still on the first small glass, I see that it's slowly foaming over and down the sides perhaps this small if elegant flute wasn't the best choice after all!

Smell is fantastic, granny smith apples, wildflowers, and just enough barnyard to remind you it's a wild ale.

Taste is much funkier then the nose, with less fruit, flowers and sugars as well, mainly spicy Belgian yeast and noble hops with dry, crisp barnyard and alcoholic finish. A bit of grainy pils reveals the malt base, but this is certainly no bière de garde. Not the most complex, but a very nice funked golden ale.

Mouthfeel is very bubbly and carbonated, with a very light body and sharp, lingering finish.

Drinkability is pretty good. I'd probably like to see the ABV dialed back a bit, or have more complexity to the flavor to round it out, but it's light in the belly and each sip begets another.

04-12-2008 01:56:58 | More by ccrida
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Appears like a burst of sunshine golden orange haze with a brilliant white head formed with fine even Belgian style lacing as it dwindles. Aroma is a soothing mix of tart yogurt and barrel aged apple cider with an air of fruitiness and herbal hops thrown into the mix as well. Definitely spiced with another aspect of band aids coming in as well and this particular Oro is from a green bottle that's a first and this is like at least the fourth time I've tasted it batch # 223. Peppery pineapple and other passion fruits blend nicely as well especially as it warms. Flavor wise very dry with tart apples and pineapple and a strong assertive spice ridden peppery note that rides throughout, tart lactic notes throughout really thick in this one. Again finish is dry like plain Mediterranean yogurt and green apple cider kinda intense. Mouthfeel is effervescent and body here is medium to light in range, overall enjoyable again the dryness is overwhelming and the acidity would sting if you had any open sores on your gums kinda like that orange juice burn. Drinkability is actually much better than my description impairs and again it's great with food for the peppery, spicy, citrus, and dry palate cleansing qualities. A fine beer that I will always be sure to sample when given the opportunity.

04-09-2008 04:32:00 | More by WVbeergeek
asabreed

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Here's the thing. I bought this brew in a big bottle without realizing, when I got it home, that there was some residue on the top, near the cap. Not sure from what, if it got bumped, too much carbonation... I don't know. But I had a bad feeling. So I popped the cap, and much like a Heavyweight Lunacy and an Abbaye Des Rocs, the cap blew off from the bottle opener, with tons of smoke from the carbonation, but here there was a second where I thought I'd be OK... that was before the eruption, the grade-school volcano lab-like carbonation spilling out of the top. So I let it run its course for a second, and poured it into a pint glass and a snifter, so as not to waste what I could. The former two beers I talked about were bad, flat, nasty, yeasty, over-carbonated, and just, yes, not too pleasurable. Whatever happened to the cap and the carbonation was the reverse of what I wanted. Here, however, I think I saved it, as this stuff's pretty damn good. And alas, here's the review.

Big bottle, poured into a snifter and a pint glass. The snifter is the review. And if it was as bad and as weird and off as the former, I wouldn't review it, but thankfully, it's not.

Appearance: Wit-like straw yellow and ridiculously hazy. Head's like ice cream and almost refuses to dissipated. It leaves huge chunks of lacing on the glass. I'm giving it less than perfect since the bottle seemed to be, at least at first, a fallible sample.

Smell: Very Saison-like with some aromas of barnyard, medicinal phenols, wild yeast, lemon grass, sour fruits, vinous notes, some wood. Overall, tons of sourness and phenols, and awesome.

Taste: The aroma hangs on and comes through, with a lot of good phenolic activity, strong sourness with grass and fruit flavors, wild yeast, woodiness, earthiness, and nice hop sweetness along with the sourness, with some sweet orange mostly, along with the fruits. Tantalizingly sour, wild, and strong.

Mouthfeel: Lots of initial fizzy champagne-like carbonation, settling into a full-on creaminess yet still remaining medium-bodied.

Drinkability: My first Jolly Pumpkin, and I wish I could get more, though I will be seeking them out from now on. I don't mean to bring in my first and recent Garde Dog, but wow, I don't know if this is what the style's supposed to be like, but if it is, I'm not sure I want to try anything else unless it's like this or surpassing it. Paid around $8 and thankfully it wasn't ruined after the rocket ship-like start, but only got better...

04-07-2008 03:07:29 | More by asabreed
kmo1030

4.13/5  rDev 0%

just slightly hazed golden in color with a decent white head that settles to a film.
the aroma has got an almost pickled quality to it, with a soft wine wine character, melon, apple skin, along with a vanilla oaky aroma. it's got a hay smell upon closer inspection, along with some vaguely wheat aspects. i get a faint mothball smell on occasion (not in a bad way believe it or not).
when cold the tartness is a little startling, also bringing out the peppery flavors. with warmth the flavors blend and meld with the other. lemon, melon, pineapple, mango, pickle, sour apple and vanilla oak flavors. it's got a dry hay/light horsey funk to it. dry, but with lingering flavors. a faint bubblegum mingles with the vanilla. the oak seems to take some of the edge off of what could be a little bit of a rough beer tartness wise.
medium-ish body with a fine but moderate carbonation.
ok drinkability, the alcohol catches up to you pretty quickly, but it is very complex and pretty tasty. something i'd think about trying again, and well worth the initial try.

04-05-2008 02:28:06 | More by kmo1030
DIM

batch #257

a: This one was a clear, very pale golden yellow color. It poured with a big, foamy, bright white head; great retention on this one.

s: I detected strong aromas of old sourdough bread, pepper, lemon zest, and extremely ripe apples. Very fresh and funky smelling overall.

t: The sour bite was a little overwhelming at first, but as my taste buds adapted, I found myself liking this a lot more. Very tart fruit flavors of lemon and apple are the most noticeable flavors. There were spicy pepper notes as well. The finish was quite dry and somewhat earthy and woody.

m: The tingly fizzy carbonation works very well for this style of beer. I liked the very dry, sour aftertaste.

d: I liked this one well enough and would like to try more of this style. I'm guessing that there are better examples out there.

04-04-2008 16:53:09 | More by DIM
CharlesRiver

Connecticut

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

WARNING - My 25.4oz capped brown bottle exploded and I lost about 3/4 of this beer. Anyone else have this problem?

Now on to the beer. The head on this (obviously) is huge and white. Tons of bubbles make their way to the top. Golden yellow in color and a bit hazy.

Smell is zesty and yeasty with some citrus coming through. The first thing that I notice in the taste is some weird plastic note. The second thing that hits me is the ending. Sharp and strong with alcohol notes dominating. The yeast does carry over as does the spiciness. Lemon and orange come through and this thing is pretty complex. Maybe a bit out of balance however. VERY LONG as the flavors go over for nearly a full minute.

This beer has really thrown me for a loop. I store and drink most of my beers at cellar temp. Could that have something to do with the explosion?

04-03-2008 22:37:17 | More by CharlesRiver
ABCJiugui

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

batch #229, no freshness date, poured into tulip.

A- deep golden to tints of orange, hazy but able to see thru, albeit murky. head is minimal- this was a surprise as I had been told it was voluminous. no lacing to speak of in relation, but overall, still pleasing.

S- wild yeast indeed- the barnyard/bret/wild funk is definitely present, as are some fruit flavors (tropical, guava, sour crab apple). The wild yeast aroma definitely present upon exhale.

T- I have to disagree about this being biere de garde: due to its tart nature, wild yeast, and fruity background, this is definitely more of a cross of a golden ale and lambic. Tart, sour, acidity is present on first sip, lingers onwards, fruity sweetness underneath. If anything, it leans more towards a light lambic than golden. I don't note the oak aging that much, but if it contributes to the wild yeast flavors, I'm all for it. Finishes fruity sweet on the edges of the mouth/tongue, despite being fairly dry from the acid/tartness.

M- slight carbonation, light but very tight. Medium bodied.

Overall, an interesting beer, and something I'd definitely try again- it's my first jolly pumpkin. I'm surprised both at its classification, as well as the food pairing it's been recommended with. Cheese wise, I see this as more akin to lambic pairings, with tart goat cheeses (a tomme perhaps) being apt, certainly not nutty parm. Indian makes an interesting mix, provied its a mild curry using coconut or cream in its base- the acidity would help. I'd see this better paired with thai sweet/milder coconut curries. In any case, a good beer that is definitely closer to jolly pumpkin's own description (golden ale) than what is listed here.

03-31-2008 02:54:17 | More by ABCJiugui
DaveHS

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

A-Straw colored, with a fluffy, eggshell-white head. Good retention.

S-Yeasty. Lots of banana and fresh bread.Light notes of citrus.

T-I know this is a Biere de Garde, but it comes off more like a cross between a saison and a golden ale. Lots of big, mouth-filling brettanomyces character, with soft, bubbly carbonation. I think this is where the saison comparison comes from. Musty barnyard notes of hay and leather appear intermittently between bursts of pear and pineapple. The back palate is lingering, with light spiciness.

M-Effervescent and light. Very refreshing. Yeast that sticks to the sides of your mouth.

D-Very drinkable. I go through about two of these a week. Another excellent release from Jolly Pumpkin.

03-28-2008 01:17:52 | More by DaveHS
DavidSeanNJ

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

Beautiful capped 750 ml bottle. Sleek and refined looking packaging, label and all.

A- Huge fluffy carbonated head. Bright as can be golden color with some cloudy undertones. Carbonation very much prevalent.

S- This smell was absolutely unbelievable. Think tropical fruits- pineapple and pears.

T- Taste was similar to champagne and lambic. The fruity nature of this beer cannot be taken lightly as it is the single most important quality. Once again- pineapple, apple, pear, banana, guava, mmm. Yeasty and fruity with a huge oaky-woody finish.

M- Mouthfeel was carbonated and tingly, never losing a step throughout.

D- This totally crept up on me. I would also pair this with a nice salad for dinner. Good beer to introduce your friends to craft brewing. Truly refined and one of a kind.

03-16-2008 16:19:37 | More by DavidSeanNJ
weasbri

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Batch 229 in a 1 pt, 9.4 oz bottle, and hell yeah, I drank the whole thing.
Depending on how I look at it, this is either a golden yellow, or a pale orange color, and I'm fairly sure that's not the 8% alcohol talking.. The yeasty looking head fell quickly, but leaves a good lacing as I drink.
A bit of a funky aroma, but mainly citrus and banana. The taste is quite nice, as the lemony tartness hits the tongue early, followed strongly by a load of peppery spiciness. There's even a bit of a sweeter fruit, I'm thinking just underripe mango.
The spiciness does linger, but I was fooled again by the ABV into drinking more quickly than I should have. A good balance of earthiness with crisp tartness makes it go down easy. Very nice.

03-12-2008 00:08:26 | More by weasbri
largadeer

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Appearance - Clear and pale gold, almost pilsner-like. The rising stream of bubbles keeps a solid head of foam on the beer at all times.

Smell - The nose is predominantly barnyard funk, lemon rind, musty wood, pineapple and yeast. It immediately reminded me of Orval, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the inspiration for this brew.

Taste & mouthfeel - Simultaneously tart, funky and spicy. Nice funky brett presence; it's well-placed, not too extreme, but assertive enough to make it a decidedly strange beer. Fruity flavors of granny smith apple, lemon and banana make up the foundation, while the funk keeps things interesting. Carbonation is crisp, almost champagne-like, with the light body further adding to that association. Finishes quite dry, leaving a mild sourness on the palate.

03-11-2008 23:28:12 | More by largadeer
Beerzebub

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Served in a big wine glass at 59 F / 15 C.

Clear golden color, with a dense mound of white head that leaves thick lace. Later glasses cloudy with a fine yeast suspension.

Bright lambicesque smell, tart and fruity. Lemon and green apple, with rich stone fruits, tropical fruits, spice, leather, wood, and grassy hops. Complex, exotic, and very nice.

Tastes fruity, yeasty, spicy, and grassy, with lemony tartness, and woody leathery earthy undertones. Dry. Vaguely reminiscent of Duvel, with some lambic thrown in. Great grassy hops, with a deep vegetal green tea aspect. Long dry finish of grassy and mineral bitterness, lemon, and woody peach stone.

Great texture. Plenty of carbonation, but it never gets fizzy, and acidity and mild astringency make for pleasant grippiness.

Quite refreshing and extremely drinkable.

Great beer!

03-11-2008 08:37:00 | More by Beerzebub
IBUnit63

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from 750 into Reidel Cabernet glass...

3-finger cappucino-foam head with deep honey/orange zest color and ample carbonation. Good lacing.

Lots of banana and honey esters with yeast prominent in background.

Very tangy citrus and bitter lemon with gentle spices. Alcohol is very hidden. Mild soapy hops on deep background.

Puckering mouthfeel yet very smooth. Gets more funky as it warms.

Refreshing and enjoyable to drink; best to serve a bit on the cold side and share a bottle.

03-08-2008 14:17:55 | More by IBUnit63
dsa7783

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

750 ML bottle purchased from Wine and Beverage Depot in Totowa for $8.99...
"Artisian Golden Ale Aged in Oak Barrels" on the front logo sticker...
Hazy and cloudy golden appearance with visible carbonation and a massive, thick head with great staying power and lacing...
Rich amber smell, bursting with noticeable florals, fresh, ultra-ripe fruit, and pears...
Taste was equally powerful and thick, with a strong suggestion of apples, pears, grapefruit, lemons, and citrus... Very fruity stuff with an apparent sprtizy and seltzer-like mouthfeel and taste that was slightly bitter and sour and that strongly reminds me of a Fantome beer...
Spritzy, thick, carbonated mouthfeel and flavor...
Easy level of drinkability without the slightest indication of the 8% ABV which dominates this brew...
Good stuff from a fine brewery...
Recommended...

03-07-2008 23:05:52 | More by dsa7783
FtownThrowDown

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours a nice amber in color. Has a nice frothy head that hangs around for awhile. Smell is slightly tart and sour. Taste is much the same, but to a lesser degree than appears in the nose. Mouthfeel is full and creamy. This is a highly sessionable beer that I could drink all day. Not overbearing in any way. A solid beer from JP.

02-25-2008 23:43:09 | More by FtownThrowDown
irishkyle21

Ontario (Canada)

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours with a bright white head. Good lacing and retention. Has a hazy golden color.

The nose is great, fruits (bananas and oranges), some mustiness and spices.

Tastes of fruits, pale malt, a bit of funk and faint traces peppery spices. The more beers I have from Jolly Pumpkin the better they get.

02-25-2008 08:53:39 | More by irishkyle21
dnichols

Washington

3.85/5  rDev -6.8%

I enjoyed this beer at a local tasting event attended by 17 beer buddies and featuring 17 beers from east of the Mississippi and Canada.

A: It poured a golden hazy body with an abundant white head that supported a thick lacing.

S: It had strong aromas of early fruit, sour cherries and green apples. The wild yeasts were not as distinctive as some Flemmish Red Ales but still it jumped out to the front of the aromas masking a nice toasted malt base and spicy bitter hops.

T: It tasted like a diluted sweet tart. There were biting red cherries and sour apples but they did not hide the sweet malts and the citrusy and bitter bite of hops.

M: It was a light bodied brew with a bitting tart front and creamy malty base and a pretty clean finish that left only a bit of lingering sourness in the after taste.

D: Not my style but this was among the better examples of this style...it took some of the edge off compared to most of its European cousins. The wild yeasts of Michigan must not be quite as wild as those of Flanders. This would make a nice drink to complement the salad course of a fine meal.

02-24-2008 02:15:30 | More by dnichols
dsigmon

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

bottle thanks to todd1!!! your the man!

A: piss color amber with HUGE white head
S: sweet citrus and sour smell. Wonderful fruity aroma with yeasty undertones.

T/M: wonderfully tangerine and citrus taste with a slightly bitter ending. Unique in every way with very complex flavors bursting from everywhere. Slight woody teasty taste at the end. Amazing amount of carbonation tickeling the tongue througout.

D: crazy drinkable. Wonderful experience drinking this beer.

02-24-2008 02:10:11 | More by dsigmon