Oro De Calabaza - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Oro De CalabazaOro De Calabaza

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Bière de Garde |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-28-2004)
3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

1 pt. 9.4 fl.OZ. bottle at refrigerator temperature poured into a snifter. The bottle has a sticker on the back that reads, "Batch 284."

A - Pours a thick but light head, two inches high, almost cloudlike in appearance. The body of the brew is a light golden yellow, like that of an acacia honey.

S - Pepper, coriander, slight funkiness, but nothing is terribly pronounced. I get a touch of hops (floral notes rather than citrus or pine). The floral notes really come forward as the brew warms a bit.

T - Clean, smooth, crisp, and very well-balanced. The wild-yeast-funk is there, but it doesn't dominate at all. I get a subtle hint of floral flavors. This beer could be described as being very "bright," but in a different way than citrusy wheat beers. It's a little flat on the finish, but it's so enjoyable to drink that I decided to give it a break.

M - Really refreshing. Good levels of carbonation, so it's got a nice "pop." No sticky-mouth after drinking this beer!

D - Hard to believe that this brew is 8% ABV. It's very easy-drinking and addictive, so take your time! I would drink another of these, for sure. Some pairing ideas: fresh goat's milk cheeses or creamy cow's milk cheeses (think Bridgid's Abbey from Cato Corner farms!).

vrazionale, May 21, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

Sampled this at an epic tasting hosted by EinWeizenbitte. Thanks a ton Todd!

NOTE: Pretty sure this is my first Bière de Garde. Here goes:

Appearance: Huge, soft, white, head erupts from the pale yellow body. Body is just a bit hazy, and shows pretty active carbonation within. Head lays down a carpet of lace as it recedes. Heard there were some yeast floaties left in the bottom of the bottle; none in my glass though - nice pour Todd!

Smell: Champagne yeast and cider. Citrus, alcohol, and tons of sour funk.

Taste: Creamy malt comes through initially, followed by tart citrus, resinous hops, and then an avalanche of sourness. Finishes very dry. Turns a bit soapy in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Instantly turns to foam in the mouth. Spicy, highly carbonated, light-bodied, and very dry.

Drinkability: On top of this being my first Bière de Garde, it was also the first beer I've had from Jolly Pumpkin. While I can't say I was thrilled by the experience, I could imagine myself getting into these in the future.

ThreeWiseMen, May 20, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

This was the infamous bottle that stark all fo your kind remarks, but I think I got enough of it to judge

A - This beer poured a golden yellow color that produced a white fluffy solid head that had good retention and laced the glass nicely

S - The predominate smell I got was the yeast, with some spicy wisps

T - The taste of this beer had a great bready quality, with some lemon, but the star of this beer was the funk

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a light body with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - This was a very good beer, only wished I could have drunk more than the quarter that was left in the bottle, but what I got was good

cvfish, May 11, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

This beer pours a clear golden-orange color with a small amount of sediment on the bottom. It has a decent sized head and great lacing on the chimay glass. This beer has a sour smell to it with some hints of banana--solid. The taste is pretty good. It resembles the taste except it is more of an orange hybrid. The carbonation is a bit weak, but he body is solid. Drinkability is nice for the ABV.

Jablonski, May 10, 2009

Poured into a tulip glass.

Upon opening the foam slowly rises up the neck of the bottle. I had a glass ready so it wasn't an issue, after pouring a tall glass I set it down, five minutes later the head had crept out of the bottle.

A- Amazingly beautiful fluffy and rocky head. The beer is golden yellow, slightly hazy with a bright white head.

S- Lots of yeast character, some white pepper. Faint hint of hops and alcohol. Remindes me of my favorite saison.

T- Crisp clean sweet and dry as champagne. No hops in the taste. Nice and tasty wild yeast funk but it's not overpowering, actually it would hurt to be a bit more funky with the brett.

M- Light bubbley and dry, overly dry really.

D- Very drinkable, 8% will sneak up on you. I will most likley finish this whole bottle myself. Overall a beer worthy of a try, I liked the ommegang slightly better though.

brow1901, May 08, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

Decided on a night cap for a beer I split this one with the girl since she likes the craft beers

A- Poured into a pint glass. People said there was a over-but I popped my bottle ant it was fine. Nice deep hazy golden straw color. Two inch head that went away to about maybe a quater inch off white head that never really went away. Nice looking beer. Lacing sticks to the side the entire beer never leaving the sides of the glass.

S- Nice lemon zest smell from the get go. Seems to be a tart lambic like smell as well. I really don't smell a alcohol presence in this per say. Upon the head going down a little more I pick up a musty barnyard scent. Hmmm...not a bad smell at all but kind of new to me.

T- Interesting. This is my first beer of this type. Nice tart taste like a lambic in my opinion. Lemon/citrus zing to it. Can taste the yeast (bready) in this...not a unpleasent taste but I think more so in other beers. Alcohol is well hidden.

M- This beer has a good carbination to it that I personally enjoy. Medium mouthfeel that coats the tounge with a lemony bready taste that stays after a sip.

D- This is a pleasant exchange from my normal IPA's. I could drink this as a regular line-up but I would much rather split a bottle with someone new and let them enjoy it as much as I did.

alleykatking, May 02, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

After opening the bottle (and even after heeding warnings), I managed to lose a lot due to severe over carbonation. There is no way around this one... open this beer over a basin...

Once the 4 inches of head in my glass finally disappeared, the product was delicious. It is a very crisp beer that I would love to drink in summer, at night, with my feet in the pool. The 8% is well hidden and the ligth body of this beer makes it delicious. I was drawn to it after enjoying Perdition and not being able to get my hands on it. Avant Garde is next in this category for me

Cheers

gregmoscetti, Apr 29, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

Overly carbonated and fizzy.. I unfortunately lost a good deal of the bottle when I opened it. Smell is sour lemon, and peppery.. very acidic and reminds me of the few lambics I've had before. Taste is peppery and spicy, but not nearly as sour as the smell even though I pick up traces of it. Bitter and alcoholic finish, but this is fairly drinkable and smooth. A little different from anything I've had before, as I believe this is my first of the style.

I can't compare this to any others of the style, but this is an interesting beer.

webmanspidey, Apr 25, 2009

Poured from a 750 mL bottle with so much carbonation that foam billowed out of neck of the bottle.

A: Cloudy/hazy golden straw color with a fluffy head. Decent lacing.

S: A pretty good smell. Tart, citrusy, cheesey, and slight funk. Some bread/grain characteristics.

T: Similar to the smell. The wild yeast shows itself without being overwhelming. The citrus character plays a nice role as well.

M: Not thin at all. It was a nice mouthfeel.

D: Good drinkability. The alcohol is hidden well for 8.5%.

gameface23, Apr 11, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +9%

Batch #217, brewed June '07. Thanks Grafter for the opportunity.

Pours a hazy lemon gold. Head is huge, white, frothy and mounding. It falls slowly into crags and craters. Wide sheets of lace. Beautiful.
Aroma is sweetly honey citrus, spicy and alcoholic.
Taste is aroma plus! Too much for me to wrap my head around, honestly. Bready, bright and spicy. Tart and clean. Alcoholic warming but not too dry.
Light smooth body with lots of pleasant bubbles. Foam sticks to the upper lip and tickles as the bubbles pop.

Wonderful refreshing brew. Received it as a sort of last minute add-on to a trade and I am so glad for it.

goatgoat, Mar 08, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Gabe at Beachwood said he had been sitting on this 2006 bottle since before he opened up Beachwood, so it has some good age on it, and it showed in a very good way.

Appearance: A golden straw color, with a half fizzy wild yeast-influenced head. Lacing was impressive, long-lasting stuff that made a variety of patterns on my tulip. A good looking beer.

Smell: Earth, funk, peaches, vinegar, spruce. A lot going on here. This is basically like an American Wild Ale married a Biere de Garde. The balance that results is right up my alley, as I very, very much enjoy sour ales, lambics, and Gueuzes, but it's nice to have the wild yeast component subdued a bit yet still play a good, assertive role.

Taste: Apple juice in the mouth more than the nose, cheese, funk, and alcohol. A little funkier here than the nose, which is a bit unusual, and intrigued me enough to give it a higher rating.

Mouthfeel: Slight dryness, juicy.

Drinkability: Intensely drinkable. Gabe said he opened an identical bottle of this around the time of its release, and thought it could use a bit of time. Turns out he was very right, as this was pretty fantastic. Aging is recommended.

RidiculedDisplay, Mar 04, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

This beer pours a cloudy pale with a nice thick white lacying in my delirium tremens tulip glass. An interesting aroma almost of pear and champagne. After the first quick sip all I can think about is its sharp tartness. Almost a cider or perhaps champagne taste with a good amount of sour at the ending. As far as hops go I dont think i can detect much with all this tart. The body is thick and the filled with carbonation. This is a great night cap but I dont think anyone is drinking more then one 750mL. Im cutting my teeth on this style with this beer and I really enjoyed it. The wild yeast deffinately lends an interesting taste to beer.

ItMakesMeHappy, Feb 15, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

A: Hazy and blonde with golden highlights. The head lasts forever... a huge froth of foam that looks fantastic topping this brew. Very nice.

S + T: Sweet, malty, grainy... musty, yet somewhat citrusy at the same time. Flavour is rather similar, with just a touch of spiciness.

M + D: Medium body, lower carbonation... not one of the better biere de gardes I have come across, but not too shabby all around. I'd give it another shot, but not if it meant really seeking it out.

Proteus93, Feb 14, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

Oro de Calabaza, courtesy of proteus93 - thanks!! Split w/ proteus93, w/ my portion poured into a cervoise.

Appearance: About what you'd expect - a light, crisp yellow, terribly hazy from an absolute boatload of yeast, with a two-finger, fluffy, easily-induced snow-white head, crisp and cloudy. The lacing is fantastically clumpy, incredibly sticky. It actually clears up a little as it warms, too, adding to the attractiveness.

Aroma: Very light, with tons of crisp, sour apple, pears, lemon, and other light, funky, fruity notes. Some simple, honey-like sweetness emerges as it warms.

Taste: Intriguing. Many of the nose notes, but with a few added spicy overtones. It's definitely a Jolly Pumpking-esque Biere de Garde - plenty of dry, spicy malt notes, pale but well-attenuated, with lots of woody overtones, cinnamon and white pepper-esque spices, light fruity notes, and earthy, woody flourishes.

Mouthfeel: Very soft, even initially, though with agitation it becomes slightly uneven. Still, by and large, this one's soft, subtle, delicate, and pleasant.

Drinkability: A solid brew. Light and crisp, but nonetheless sweet and sour, with a well-hidden amount of alcohol. It's just a pleasant, tart, earthy brew, and definitely your thing if you like this kinda beer.

CrellMoset, Feb 14, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +14.3%

Batch 314

A- Bubbly, tiny head, golden, pretty good lacing though

S- Stuffed up again, well from what I can tell lite spice, maybe a hint of the funk, probably should have saved it a little longer, oh well.

T- I'm not a wine drinker but that is the first thought I got. I digg the sour style JP does. You get the alcohol, and the funk, love the funk.

M- medium body to it to light, somewhere in there, I am getting the carbonation a little bite.

D- Very drinkable, I'm going to go ahead and quote SaucyA because they said it best "The ABV isn't noticed, except for the nice buzz I'm sculpting"

Got this one as well as all the others I've reviewed at the brewery, GO THERE, JP rules. Avast!

Angus703, Jan 30, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

750ml bottle purchased at small package store.

I believe this is the first beer that I have drank from Jolly Pumpkin.
The appearance of the bottle has interesting art work, sets it apart from the rest of the pack. While the appearance of the beer was a golden color with a delightful two finger head that leaves white rings above on the tulip glass.
The smell is citrus, very pleasant. The taste is a tad sweet, with the proper dash of bite thrown in. Mouthfeel is balanced and not-overpowering, the ABV is masked here. Drinkability is good.
I am very pleased with this beer and glad that I finally made it around to drinking a beer from Jolly Pumpkin.

mltobin, Jan 29, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Batch 314.

A - Pours a sparkling yellow/gold into my St. Feuillien globe. Bubbles soar from the nucleation site into a soap-bubble white head. Nice, nice lacing, yet crap for head retention.

S - Dried dill, dry oak, spicy... totally herbal. Reminds me of potpourri, but in a good way.

T - Slightly tart all-around, and quite dry in the finish. Tons of oak, yeasty esters, and a slight hop bitterness at the end. Again, quite herbal.

M - Rather light, but could stand to use a slightly more bititng carbonation. What's there works, but it could stand a slight amplification.

D - Quite drinkable... the tartness and body allow this to be really easy and enjoyable. The abv isn't noticed, except for the nice buzz I'm sculpting.

Notes: Picked this up at the brewery for the P4 release. I love freshly-bottled JP brews.

SaucyA, Jan 28, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -29.1%

s - batch 261, 750ml bottle. served in a tulip corsendonk glass.

a - beautiful golden with a nice airy white head.

s- orange sour oak, at first i thought it stunk and was rancid, maybe it was just too much oak.

t - oak tar cardboard then a little citrus. it did not taste too good. and i had some other sours that i like. hopefully just batch 261 was not that good, or it was aging too long and got some bad oak in there. but these are high quality beers.

m - carbonated at first, but it faded too fast as i sipped it. just took a little while to get used too. then had a little sour,spice,oak,citrus flavor.

d - i did not enjoy this one, but they deserve another shot because of the art of brewing oak aged beers is a real craft.

jsanto, Jan 18, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a wonderfully designed 750mL bottle into a tulip glass.

A- Perfect in every sense of the word. Pours a golden, straw colored yellow with a slight haze to it. Every pour produces a healthy three fingers width of white head. Leaves great lacing behind as the beer is consumed. I could just stare at this glass for hours.

S- Very nice aroma. Combination of peppered spices, fruity yeasts, and earthy undertones of hops.

T- Follows the nose. As the beer warms up, a gentle sweetness from the yeast is procured. Also in the mix are the earthy flavors of the hops, a nice change of pace from piney, citrus west coast hops. There is also slight spice flavor that is introduced at the finish of the beer.

M- Light to medium bodied with a lot of carbonation.

D- Very drinkable. The carbonation and light body mask the 8% abv so that it is non-existent.

Overall, this style of beer is slowly growing on me. It's a great change of pace from the usual styles of beer I have on a daily basis. If you are looking for something different and for something that will entertain the palate, look no further.

rhinos00, Jan 13, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

750ml bottle into 25oz wine glass. Batch 229 (no info on website).

Cloudy and pretty much opaque burnt orange hue with a one finger white head that settles to a bubbly rim along the cap. This is a very pretty pour, one of the prettiest from JP. In the place of the head is a ring of webby lacing.

The aroma is very light, with a touch of slighty toasty grain and a little bit of sourness.

The sourness is on the medium edge, very tart and very drying. Slight orange peel is in there, along with a little bit of unidentified spice. The alcohol isn't noticed in this one, though it does enhance the sourness a little. Medium bodied with high carbonation.

This is the most sour BdG I've had, but that's just the calling card of Jolly Pumpkin. Complex, tasty, with just the right amount of sourness. Recommended for those who like the sourness.

BeerSox, Jan 11, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip, purchased from the brewery in Michigan and from batch 314, as is indicated by a sticker on the bottle. pours a pale golden color with a half finger of white, soapy head that remains for a few minutes and leaves moderate lacings.

aroma is mildly sour, with a lightly fruity quality and a base of distant earthed notes. light grape and apple notes without the sweet character usually experienced with such flavors creates quite an intriguing bouquet of aromas, all tied together with the familiar astringent quality that was apparent upon opening the bottle.

taste is astringent up front, with notes of restrained malt character, as well as a tart fruit note of lightly musty apple and a touch of a berry-like note as well. overall there is a lack of sweetness, which is a refreshing change from what would be expected from the aroma. quite unique on the palate.

mouthfeel is medium bodied with a sharp quality from the sour notes, along with a mildly dry finish of residual yeasty bread-like flavors, and a bit of a left-over musty feel. the brew coats the mouth in tartness, and leaves the palate wanting another sip.

drinkability is good. this is quite a brew, with all but a few of the aspects of an overly-sweetened fruit beer present, but composed in such a way that the lack of sweetness and the overall quality of the experience are quite nice and refreshing. this brew is best when sipped over a generous span of time, in order to appreciate the complexity of flavors that evolve as the brew warms. cheers!

botham, Jan 09, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

750 ml bottle poured into an oversized wine glass.

A - Pours medium gold with some cloudiness. A slow pour still popped out well over an inch of white head. Retention is nice but that is due to the active carbonation that doesn't seem to go away. It eventually settles to a thick white cap that looks pretty tight. Lacing is great.

S - Some tart fruit hits the nose first - lemon, apple, and pineapple. Might be a touch of orange on the tail end of the fruit. The midway point reveals a combination of bread crust and Belgian yeast. It's more sour than funky. Some old wood finishes it off.

T - Bright, fruity, and tart at first sip. Lemon and pineapple really stand out. Other fruits come and go but those two dominate. Tart turns to sour pretty quick. Alcohol is present but works really well with this beer. Oak is mild and only serves to compliment the other flavors. The tail end has some honey and a little bread dough. Comes back to tart fruit before it's all said and done.

M - Medium bodied with a higher level of carbonation. Starts out bright and flavorful and finishes very smooth. A tartness lingers for a while.

D - Drinkability is very good. I was truly shocked by this beer. Everything just works together to make a beer that is a joy to drink. Kudos to Jolly Pumpkin for making such a great beer. At 8%, this one is pretty easy to drink but the complexity and overall flavor seems to slow down consumption a tad. That is not a bad thing with this selection. Really, this is a great brew. Highly recommended.

csmiley, Jan 02, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Pours a murky golden with a moderate frothy head. Good sustain with heavy lacing.

S: Musty with moderate phenols and an aroma of lemon zest.

T: Flavors of citrus and pineapple with that good 'ol wild yeast funk, which provides a slightly minty quality. Some hop bitterness in the finish provides good balance.

M: Medium-bodied and quite fizzy (appropriate for my New Year's Eve quaffing).

D: Solid. A bit too carbonated, but quite nice otherwise. I'll definitely be buying this one again.

klewis, Jan 01, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

Reviewed on 08/08/08. Bottle. Pours a light gold (or perhaps yellow/orange) with a thick foamy wite head that leaves pretty lacing. Aroma of sweet fruits (melon, citrus, apricot) and spices. Flavor of sour fresh apples, bitter hops, melon rind, citrus/OJ. Very similar to Bam Biere but less sour and fruity. Interesting beer and pretty tasty, although it does wear on you slightly after a glass or so. Good beer.
8/4/8/4/15 (3.9/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 23, 2008
2.42/5  rDev -41.4%

Pours a bright orange/yellow with a slight clarity. Thick two finger white head. Aroma is orange/citruis with a hint of spice. Taste is fruity and tart, reminds me of tang. Average texture and body. Not an enjoyable beer, taste was odd and very un-beer like. An interesting experience but not recommended as a session beer.

tbeck, Dec 23, 2008