Oro De Calabaza - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Oro De CalabazaOro De Calabaza

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Bière de Garde |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-28-2004)
4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Batch 297

I thought I new how to produce the proper amount of head with a careful pour. This beer showed me one of two things. Either this is not your ordinary beer, or I can't pour a beer! I tried my best to keep the head to a minimum, but even after an extremely careful pour, I got 75% head to beer ratio. Light and bubbly, it gets chunky as it settles, but never goes away completely. Retention and lacing are amazing, as is with other Jolly Pumpkin brews I've had.

I get citrus fruits, and some spices. Apricots and pears, as well as coriander and orange peel. There is a little bit of orange peel. To be honest, this doesn't taste much different from other Jolly Pumpkin brews I've had, but it's just slightly higher quality. There is also a noticeable funk that I assume is from brett.

The taste is much like the nose would lead you to believe. I really like how the fruits and citrus work with the carbonation, and not against it. The carbonation adds an entire new dimension to this brew, it keeps it light and floating if that makes sense. Slightly tart, as well as the light brett character. I really enjoy this one. By far my favorite Jolly Pumpkin so far.

The moughtfeel is almost my favorite part. The carbonation is very lively. There is definitely a party going on in this beer and I want to be a part of it. The size of the carbonation bubbles are very fine. There isn't that crisp feeling you get with a lot of other brews, this one is very smooth and light.

Overall, a solid offering. It's different, but not too far out there. I think even a non-craft beer drinker could appreciate this one. Solid brew.

4.68/5  rDev +13.6%

Bought a 750 of this at star grocery in Berkland (could be Oakland...could be Berkeley...).

A- This just looks... awesome. Bright gold with huge fluffy islands of foam. My only complaint was that there was too much foam after I opened it. It came billowing out the top for a while.

S-Off the bat, I can tell that this is brewed with wild yeasts (if I didn't read it on the bottle). There's some funk, Balsamic, cidery/winey aromas, a little bit of oak, and even a little bit of alcohol heat if you shove your nose really deep in there.

T- OMG! This is all over the place. There's vanilla and marzipan. Clove. Some funk and tartness, but this is most definitely NOT a sour ale (though maybe mine is rather fresh, as other people report some sourness and acidity in this beer) Pineapple in the middle. Dates and tropical fruit. Maybe some figs. Rounds out with a certain medicinal hoppiness. HUGE nods to Orval. This beer is awesome.

M- Light and bubbly. The taste lingers on your tongue for a long time, which may add to the perception of mouthfeel.

D- This is so good. I can't wait to buy this again, and try other things by this brewery. I seriously looking forward to each sip. If only I could drink it slower

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

Picked this up on a whim while at the Corral in Granite City.

Poured with a bright yellow color and hide a nice head. I really liked the smells going on here. Nice and fruity but also a spiciness to it. The flavor goes along with that. It' very effervescent and a lot of different flavors. Hard to pin down exactly but I got lemon and sour apple. There is also some spice in there as well. Clove perhaps and little peppery. I REALLY enjoyed this. It was quite different and everyone that sampled it with us thought it was the best of the evening.

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

From batch 297.

The head on this brew is white, thick and ENORMOUS. I managed to get about 3 ounces of liquid in my tulip on the first pour. While I was waiting for it to settle, the bottle started to overflow! I'm talking almost champagne-level carbonation here. There was no end to it. Either one or the other (the glass or the bottle) was overflowing for at least the first 15 minutes of me attempting to pour this beer. Quite the handful! The liquid is very clear and a true golden color. Now I see where it gets its name. Gets more yeasty-cloudy toward the end of the bottle.

Smells of lemon, very subtle clove and tart light fruits like peaches and apricots. Some vinegar. There's more there, but I just can't put my finger on everything.

Tastes very fruity: peaches, apricots, cherries. As with the Duchesse, I detect something akin to nail polish remover, but again it's actually nice within the context here. Great, full coconut flavor comes through after the swallow. A dash of vinegar appears in the taste as well. It's very tart and sour; bitter towards the end. I tried to record as much as I possibly could about the flavor, but I still feel like I'm not at all doing justice to the complexity of this brew. There were many flavors that I simply could not put my finger on - possibly just as many as those that I could.

Being that I have very little experience with brett, I was expecting this beer to be completely different than every other beer I've tasted, but it really wasn't. It was very easy to drink and I didn't feel like it was too far off the beaten path for me. A solid brew for sure, but it has not satisfied my craving for a mind-blowing, life-altering masterpiece of funk. I shall continue the journey.

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oak aged Batch 308 picked up at Liqour World In Fayetteville, AR

Pours an effervescent straw with 2 fingers of eggshell colored head. Murks a bit a the bottom as you'd expect from a bottle conditioned beer

S: Horse blanket & lemons, fades over time

T: Lemons, sourness, grassyness & funky acidity up front. Green apple peels , dirt & sourness dominates as this warms along with dryness, along with a touch of lemons & grapefruits & more tartness & acidity. Finishes with much citrus & acidity, grainyness, was close to a 5.0

MF: Pretty smooth, but the acidity does detract a bit up front. Medium bodied with hints of stickyness as this warmed, but the vigirous carbonation balanced this out

Drinks very easy for the abv & sourness & everything else going on. Probably the best JP bier I've had, by far ! Easily on of the best American sours I've had...

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

A 750ml capped bottle shared with psycohops and brothercannon. Poured into a trio of plain snifters, this ale greets the eyes with a hazy pale straw color and about an inch of pillowy bone white foam. Nose and flavors are of spicy yeast, black pepper, lemon zest, bready, and a touch of the funk. Not much alcohol presence to speak of here. Pleasant dry mouthfeel that really works here. The guy on my shoulder says I shouldn't have shared...

3.75/5  rDev -9%

1 pt. 9.4 fl.OZ. bottle at refrigerator temperature poured into a snifter. The bottle has a sticker on the back that reads, "Batch 284."

A - Pours a thick but light head, two inches high, almost cloudlike in appearance. The body of the brew is a light golden yellow, like that of an acacia honey.

S - Pepper, coriander, slight funkiness, but nothing is terribly pronounced. I get a touch of hops (floral notes rather than citrus or pine). The floral notes really come forward as the brew warms a bit.

T - Clean, smooth, crisp, and very well-balanced. The wild-yeast-funk is there, but it doesn't dominate at all. I get a subtle hint of floral flavors. This beer could be described as being very "bright," but in a different way than citrusy wheat beers. It's a little flat on the finish, but it's so enjoyable to drink that I decided to give it a break.

M - Really refreshing. Good levels of carbonation, so it's got a nice "pop." No sticky-mouth after drinking this beer!

D - Hard to believe that this brew is 8% ABV. It's very easy-drinking and addictive, so take your time! I would drink another of these, for sure. Some pairing ideas: fresh goat's milk cheeses or creamy cow's milk cheeses (think Bridgid's Abbey from Cato Corner farms!).

3.65/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled this at an epic tasting hosted by EinWeizenbitte. Thanks a ton Todd!

NOTE: Pretty sure this is my first Bière de Garde. Here goes:

Appearance: Huge, soft, white, head erupts from the pale yellow body. Body is just a bit hazy, and shows pretty active carbonation within. Head lays down a carpet of lace as it recedes. Heard there were some yeast floaties left in the bottom of the bottle; none in my glass though - nice pour Todd!

Smell: Champagne yeast and cider. Citrus, alcohol, and tons of sour funk.

Taste: Creamy malt comes through initially, followed by tart citrus, resinous hops, and then an avalanche of sourness. Finishes very dry. Turns a bit soapy in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Instantly turns to foam in the mouth. Spicy, highly carbonated, light-bodied, and very dry.

Drinkability: On top of this being my first Bière de Garde, it was also the first beer I've had from Jolly Pumpkin. While I can't say I was thrilled by the experience, I could imagine myself getting into these in the future.

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

This was the infamous bottle that stark all fo your kind remarks, but I think I got enough of it to judge

A - This beer poured a golden yellow color that produced a white fluffy solid head that had good retention and laced the glass nicely

S - The predominate smell I got was the yeast, with some spicy wisps

T - The taste of this beer had a great bready quality, with some lemon, but the star of this beer was the funk

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a light body with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - This was a very good beer, only wished I could have drunk more than the quarter that was left in the bottle, but what I got was good

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

This beer pours a clear golden-orange color with a small amount of sediment on the bottom. It has a decent sized head and great lacing on the chimay glass. This beer has a sour smell to it with some hints of banana--solid. The taste is pretty good. It resembles the taste except it is more of an orange hybrid. The carbonation is a bit weak, but he body is solid. Drinkability is nice for the ABV.

Poured into a tulip glass.

Upon opening the foam slowly rises up the neck of the bottle. I had a glass ready so it wasn't an issue, after pouring a tall glass I set it down, five minutes later the head had crept out of the bottle.

A- Amazingly beautiful fluffy and rocky head. The beer is golden yellow, slightly hazy with a bright white head.

S- Lots of yeast character, some white pepper. Faint hint of hops and alcohol. Remindes me of my favorite saison.

T- Crisp clean sweet and dry as champagne. No hops in the taste. Nice and tasty wild yeast funk but it's not overpowering, actually it would hurt to be a bit more funky with the brett.

M- Light bubbley and dry, overly dry really.

D- Very drinkable, 8% will sneak up on you. I will most likley finish this whole bottle myself. Overall a beer worthy of a try, I liked the ommegang slightly better though.

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Decided on a night cap for a beer I split this one with the girl since she likes the craft beers

A- Poured into a pint glass. People said there was a over-but I popped my bottle ant it was fine. Nice deep hazy golden straw color. Two inch head that went away to about maybe a quater inch off white head that never really went away. Nice looking beer. Lacing sticks to the side the entire beer never leaving the sides of the glass.

S- Nice lemon zest smell from the get go. Seems to be a tart lambic like smell as well. I really don't smell a alcohol presence in this per say. Upon the head going down a little more I pick up a musty barnyard scent. Hmmm...not a bad smell at all but kind of new to me.

T- Interesting. This is my first beer of this type. Nice tart taste like a lambic in my opinion. Lemon/citrus zing to it. Can taste the yeast (bready) in this...not a unpleasent taste but I think more so in other beers. Alcohol is well hidden.

M- This beer has a good carbination to it that I personally enjoy. Medium mouthfeel that coats the tounge with a lemony bready taste that stays after a sip.

D- This is a pleasant exchange from my normal IPA's. I could drink this as a regular line-up but I would much rather split a bottle with someone new and let them enjoy it as much as I did.

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

After opening the bottle (and even after heeding warnings), I managed to lose a lot due to severe over carbonation. There is no way around this one... open this beer over a basin...

Once the 4 inches of head in my glass finally disappeared, the product was delicious. It is a very crisp beer that I would love to drink in summer, at night, with my feet in the pool. The 8% is well hidden and the ligth body of this beer makes it delicious. I was drawn to it after enjoying Perdition and not being able to get my hands on it. Avant Garde is next in this category for me

Cheers

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Overly carbonated and fizzy.. I unfortunately lost a good deal of the bottle when I opened it. Smell is sour lemon, and peppery.. very acidic and reminds me of the few lambics I've had before. Taste is peppery and spicy, but not nearly as sour as the smell even though I pick up traces of it. Bitter and alcoholic finish, but this is fairly drinkable and smooth. A little different from anything I've had before, as I believe this is my first of the style.

I can't compare this to any others of the style, but this is an interesting beer.

Poured from a 750 mL bottle with so much carbonation that foam billowed out of neck of the bottle.

A: Cloudy/hazy golden straw color with a fluffy head. Decent lacing.

S: A pretty good smell. Tart, citrusy, cheesey, and slight funk. Some bread/grain characteristics.

T: Similar to the smell. The wild yeast shows itself without being overwhelming. The citrus character plays a nice role as well.

M: Not thin at all. It was a nice mouthfeel.

D: Good drinkability. The alcohol is hidden well for 8.5%.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Batch #217, brewed June '07. Thanks Grafter for the opportunity.

Pours a hazy lemon gold. Head is huge, white, frothy and mounding. It falls slowly into crags and craters. Wide sheets of lace. Beautiful.
Aroma is sweetly honey citrus, spicy and alcoholic.
Taste is aroma plus! Too much for me to wrap my head around, honestly. Bready, bright and spicy. Tart and clean. Alcoholic warming but not too dry.
Light smooth body with lots of pleasant bubbles. Foam sticks to the upper lip and tickles as the bubbles pop.

Wonderful refreshing brew. Received it as a sort of last minute add-on to a trade and I am so glad for it.

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

Gabe at Beachwood said he had been sitting on this 2006 bottle since before he opened up Beachwood, so it has some good age on it, and it showed in a very good way.

Appearance: A golden straw color, with a half fizzy wild yeast-influenced head. Lacing was impressive, long-lasting stuff that made a variety of patterns on my tulip. A good looking beer.

Smell: Earth, funk, peaches, vinegar, spruce. A lot going on here. This is basically like an American Wild Ale married a Biere de Garde. The balance that results is right up my alley, as I very, very much enjoy sour ales, lambics, and Gueuzes, but it's nice to have the wild yeast component subdued a bit yet still play a good, assertive role.

Taste: Apple juice in the mouth more than the nose, cheese, funk, and alcohol. A little funkier here than the nose, which is a bit unusual, and intrigued me enough to give it a higher rating.

Mouthfeel: Slight dryness, juicy.

Drinkability: Intensely drinkable. Gabe said he opened an identical bottle of this around the time of its release, and thought it could use a bit of time. Turns out he was very right, as this was pretty fantastic. Aging is recommended.

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

This beer pours a cloudy pale with a nice thick white lacying in my delirium tremens tulip glass. An interesting aroma almost of pear and champagne. After the first quick sip all I can think about is its sharp tartness. Almost a cider or perhaps champagne taste with a good amount of sour at the ending. As far as hops go I dont think i can detect much with all this tart. The body is thick and the filled with carbonation. This is a great night cap but I dont think anyone is drinking more then one 750mL. Im cutting my teeth on this style with this beer and I really enjoyed it. The wild yeast deffinately lends an interesting taste to beer.

3.65/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Hazy and blonde with golden highlights. The head lasts forever... a huge froth of foam that looks fantastic topping this brew. Very nice.

S + T: Sweet, malty, grainy... musty, yet somewhat citrusy at the same time. Flavour is rather similar, with just a touch of spiciness.

M + D: Medium body, lower carbonation... not one of the better biere de gardes I have come across, but not too shabby all around. I'd give it another shot, but not if it meant really seeking it out.

4.08/5  rDev -1%

Oro de Calabaza, courtesy of proteus93 - thanks!! Split w/ proteus93, w/ my portion poured into a cervoise.

Appearance: About what you'd expect - a light, crisp yellow, terribly hazy from an absolute boatload of yeast, with a two-finger, fluffy, easily-induced snow-white head, crisp and cloudy. The lacing is fantastically clumpy, incredibly sticky. It actually clears up a little as it warms, too, adding to the attractiveness.

Aroma: Very light, with tons of crisp, sour apple, pears, lemon, and other light, funky, fruity notes. Some simple, honey-like sweetness emerges as it warms.

Taste: Intriguing. Many of the nose notes, but with a few added spicy overtones. It's definitely a Jolly Pumpking-esque Biere de Garde - plenty of dry, spicy malt notes, pale but well-attenuated, with lots of woody overtones, cinnamon and white pepper-esque spices, light fruity notes, and earthy, woody flourishes.

Mouthfeel: Very soft, even initially, though with agitation it becomes slightly uneven. Still, by and large, this one's soft, subtle, delicate, and pleasant.

Drinkability: A solid brew. Light and crisp, but nonetheless sweet and sour, with a well-hidden amount of alcohol. It's just a pleasant, tart, earthy brew, and definitely your thing if you like this kinda beer.

4.72/5  rDev +14.6%

Batch 314

A- Bubbly, tiny head, golden, pretty good lacing though

S- Stuffed up again, well from what I can tell lite spice, maybe a hint of the funk, probably should have saved it a little longer, oh well.

T- I'm not a wine drinker but that is the first thought I got. I digg the sour style JP does. You get the alcohol, and the funk, love the funk.

M- medium body to it to light, somewhere in there, I am getting the carbonation a little bite.

D- Very drinkable, I'm going to go ahead and quote SaucyA because they said it best "The ABV isn't noticed, except for the nice buzz I'm sculpting"

Got this one as well as all the others I've reviewed at the brewery, GO THERE, JP rules. Avast!

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

750ml bottle purchased at small package store.

I believe this is the first beer that I have drank from Jolly Pumpkin.
The appearance of the bottle has interesting art work, sets it apart from the rest of the pack. While the appearance of the beer was a golden color with a delightful two finger head that leaves white rings above on the tulip glass.
The smell is citrus, very pleasant. The taste is a tad sweet, with the proper dash of bite thrown in. Mouthfeel is balanced and not-overpowering, the ABV is masked here. Drinkability is good.
I am very pleased with this beer and glad that I finally made it around to drinking a beer from Jolly Pumpkin.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Batch 314.

A - Pours a sparkling yellow/gold into my St. Feuillien globe. Bubbles soar from the nucleation site into a soap-bubble white head. Nice, nice lacing, yet crap for head retention.

S - Dried dill, dry oak, spicy... totally herbal. Reminds me of potpourri, but in a good way.

T - Slightly tart all-around, and quite dry in the finish. Tons of oak, yeasty esters, and a slight hop bitterness at the end. Again, quite herbal.

M - Rather light, but could stand to use a slightly more bititng carbonation. What's there works, but it could stand a slight amplification.

D - Quite drinkable... the tartness and body allow this to be really easy and enjoyable. The abv isn't noticed, except for the nice buzz I'm sculpting.

Notes: Picked this up at the brewery for the P4 release. I love freshly-bottled JP brews.

2.93/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

s - batch 261, 750ml bottle. served in a tulip corsendonk glass.

a - beautiful golden with a nice airy white head.

s- orange sour oak, at first i thought it stunk and was rancid, maybe it was just too much oak.

t - oak tar cardboard then a little citrus. it did not taste too good. and i had some other sours that i like. hopefully just batch 261 was not that good, or it was aging too long and got some bad oak in there. but these are high quality beers.

m - carbonated at first, but it faded too fast as i sipped it. just took a little while to get used too. then had a little sour,spice,oak,citrus flavor.

d - i did not enjoy this one, but they deserve another shot because of the art of brewing oak aged beers is a real craft.

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a wonderfully designed 750mL bottle into a tulip glass.

A- Perfect in every sense of the word. Pours a golden, straw colored yellow with a slight haze to it. Every pour produces a healthy three fingers width of white head. Leaves great lacing behind as the beer is consumed. I could just stare at this glass for hours.

S- Very nice aroma. Combination of peppered spices, fruity yeasts, and earthy undertones of hops.

T- Follows the nose. As the beer warms up, a gentle sweetness from the yeast is procured. Also in the mix are the earthy flavors of the hops, a nice change of pace from piney, citrus west coast hops. There is also slight spice flavor that is introduced at the finish of the beer.

M- Light to medium bodied with a lot of carbonation.

D- Very drinkable. The carbonation and light body mask the 8% abv so that it is non-existent.

Overall, this style of beer is slowly growing on me. It's a great change of pace from the usual styles of beer I have on a daily basis. If you are looking for something different and for something that will entertain the palate, look no further.

Oro De Calabaza from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales