Oro De Calabaza - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Bière de Garde |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-28-2004

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a cloudy golden yellow color with a thin off-white head that quickly fades into a thin ring. Little to no lacing left behind

Earthy funky oak aroma and quite a bit of hops. Lots of citrus fruit; lemon peel and grapefruit. Musky barnyard funk with some nice oak and vanilla notes.

Very interesting and unique flavors going on here. Nice earthy oak funkiness with quite a bit of vanilla character. Lots of citrus peel and grapefruit. Possibly some lighter crsip fruit notes. Apple? There is a nice hop presence as well providing a bitterness that balances thins out pretty well and a dry finish.

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from bomber to Allagash tulip glass.

A: Huge foamy head 3+ fingers, a pale orangey golden color with huge haze

N: Nose has a slight cirtursy yeasty quality with some sour Belgian qualities but not really any oak

T: Taste comes right out with the sour fruit and citrus, more yeast as well, theres a bitter orange peel taste, some nice Belgian malts in the middle, there's a touch of sweetness, I can see that it's a little more mellow than most Belgian style sour beers, but the oak is very light

M: It has a lot of carbonation and is pretty light on the mouth

F: It finishes pretty dry with more bitter orange peel and sour yeast, a lingering sour/bitter quality hangs around for a while, the wild yeast quality comes out quite a bit on the finish as well

Final thoughts: If you like sours, or are just starting to get into sours this is a great beer. The oak is very light and barely noticeable compared to other oaked beers. It's got a wild Belgian yeast quality as well thats actually kinda nice. Its not really easy to drink because of the sour qild yeast, but otherwise its pretty good, especially for a summer beer.

3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

Thanks to Duffman069 for sharing. Oooh Yeah!

A - Pours a light blonde with 4 fingers of white head that refuses to dissipate. Leaves beautiful lacing. Excellent looking biere w/ brett.

S - Holy crap. I've just been attacked by a sour smelling brett funk, nectar esters, pine resin, and a grassy hay.

T - Brett, Belgian yeast funk, nectar, grass/hay notes, and spicy hops.

M - Moderate bodied, sweet, slightly harsh, and very astringent. I cannot define the balance due to the astringency of this beer.

D - A hard one to figure. I want to say good because it has its own taste, which is quite overwhelming. Maybe a bit much over the top. Biere de Garde is the wrong description. Maybe a sour or belgian wild would be more acceptable.

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

Batch 284
Huge white head with each pour- crisp white 'champagne' bubbles

Light mouth feel, bubbles expand in mouth

Slight sour, more bitter; kind of tarty- citrus fruit. qualities similar to a wheat ale.

I'm enjoying this beer but not picking up on some on the great characteristics I've read about it. I think my bottle may have been skunked through temperature fluctuation. If so it's still great and I'll be trying it again soon.

3.63/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours a hazy golden orange with a huge, fluffy, foam packed white head that patiently dissipates to a thick lace foam that clings to the glass.

Big aromas of funky yeast, slightly sweet or sour, more zesty, floral hops, and pepper like spice and just catching the oak in the finish or as it warms.

Deep sweet and sour zest, slight astringency, crazy wild yeast dances on the palate to be tamed by slight peppery spice, and again only getting hints of the oak.

Medium in body, perhaps border line syrupy, medium to high in carbonation, a bit astringent, and packing plenty of bite.

For my tastes, and trying to be true to the style, this beer is a bit too sour for me, and lacking the necessary pepper & malt to balance the sour & yeast. Improves as it warms, as the spice comes out. Certainly worth a try.

4.08/5  rDev -1%

Thanks to Brad for another beer. Don't worry, we are drinking some of my beer next.

Batch 297
Poured into New Belgium Globe Glass.

Pours a huge 4 finger white pillow topped head. Great retention with some nice lacing. Color is a golden sunset orange.

Aroma: I can definetely smell the oak. It has somewhat of a sour tart aroma to it. There is some yeast and some sour fruits to it. In the background I can smell some brett.

Taste: A lot more brett is dominating here. A nice oak aged flavor with some good spice flavor going on. Tastes a lot like a 'golden' ale but has some nice extra flavors to it.

Mouthfeel: A little crisp and a tad smooth. Fairly light bodied. A high amount of carbonation. Ends with a spiced oak aftertaste. Nothing bad, but a little dry.

Overall, this is one of the better beers I have had on the night. I love the oak and the brett. The flavors complement each other well. I can easily drink a lot of this.

3.8/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a bright golden yellow with a nice frothy head that recedes slowly. It has a great floral smell and sweet notes from the Belgian hops. The taste is very unique with a spicey and peppery bite. For me the pepper is a bit overwhelming and I have to admit almost mad me ill. The mouthfeel is good and if I was more of a pepper fan would enjoy this beer as much as my buddy that I split it with. This is still a great quality beer

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

2006
the beer has a huge bouquet of white light froth upon pouring. It has aromas of citris and spice, but smells predominatly fruity. The beer has a champagne quality to it as it tingles on the toung. the taste begins tart, and slowly changes to a spicey peppery flavor. Very good beer, but I couldnt drink more then one or two of them.

2009
Going back and reviewing what turns out to be the very first beer that I reviewed on Beeradvocate...

Actually I just got the opportunity to get a bottle recently and it knocked my socks off again!

A: Looks great! Pours a hazy (I'm sure its bottle conditioned) light golden color. Also has a nice foamy white head on top which builds up quite a bit. It nearly got to the top of my oversized Duvel tulip.

S: The aroma is complex and is full of character. There is a definite sour apple/ sour bright fruit essence. Spice is present as well which is a unique thing. Sour and clove? or cardamom perhaps? Pepper too. Also Im getting a sourdough bread quality lots of complexity.

T: The flavor doesn't disappoint! Not overly sour but enough astringency to make it a distinct "sour" beer. More hoppy bitterness than I would have guessed. Lemon zest, sourdough, grannysmith apple, yeasty goodness in a glass!

M: Good mouthfeel as this beer is nicely carbonated. Retains its head nicely and has good lacing as well.

D: My tastes must have changed, I love this beer more than I did. I feel like its not that easy to drink and yet I keep going back for more just to experience it again. Pretty damn drinkable for me, and the alcohol is very hidden by the complexities of this beer.

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours an under-ripe pumpkin color with vibrant yellow hues. Thick looking small white head that dissipates quickly leaving a coating layer of lacing.

Peppery bananas instantly on the nose. I also pick up a definite funk, the more I smell this brew the more it appears in the forefront. Nuances of spicy subtle hops are also very apparent.

Funk-tastic, brett is the front runner here. Buttery, tannic and somewhat sour flavors barrage your palate. Next come the spicy hop profile that merges very well with the aforementioned flavors. All this craziness going on here somehow provides for a seamless transition to the alcoholic dry character that supports the aftertaste. Very vinous.

The mouthfeel is good. Tons of carbonation make for a full feeling, creamy and yet moderately dry brew. Good...good...

Overall, I really enjoyed this one. I would not drink this regularly, but I wouldn't mind having in the fridge more often.
Solid offering.

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

A - Orange with a creamy thin head and nice lacing.

S - Slight horsey funk with citrus notes.

T - Fruity maltiness fades into citrus flavors with sour acidity, followed by warming phenols taking presence later on.

M - Crisp and bitey, high carbonation - the bottle overflowed when i opened it.

D - Very pleasant and enjoyable with lots of complimentary flavors, though begins to warm as you get into it. Overall a wonderful belgian golden ale.

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Semi-opaque marmalade colored ale, with a big cloud of bone-colored, meringue-foamy head that left huge clouds of foam down the sides of the glass.

S: I get aromas of sour lemon, spicy gumdrops, wildflowers, hay, and yeasty dough.

T: The first flavors are of lemon zest, wheat, and coriander, with peach bitters and dry herbal tea in the finish.

M: This feels creamy in my mouth, with light carbonation. The finish is long, dry in the middle, and wet in the corners.

D: Great ale, very zesty and refreshing, and the sourness and spiciness to keep it interesting. I had no problem finishing the bottle. This would be a great beer on a warm evening in late spring.

Notes: I had a huge gusher when I opened this, and lost a lot of it. I had just brought it home from the store, but there was no rough handling. Still, my favorite Jolly Pumpkin product I've tired.

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%

Fresh 75cl bottle from Batch 326. No gushing problems. Pours a very hazy gold with a towering, rocky white head. Smells citric and acidic, with some apple and definite musty barnyard notes from Brett. The taste is initially tart and lemony, but this is quickly followed by an oaken earthy character. Musty brett notes again, with hops giving it a slightly bitter, very dry finish. The alcohol is noticeable in the background, though barely save for the warming finish. Full body with good carbonation. A really nice, complex beer, that should be even better in a year or so as the alcohol dies down.

4.45/5  rDev +8%

A very mellow-flavored offering from Jolly Pumpkin, the most easy drinking one so far, although Calabaza Blanca comes close.

Poured with an enormous head and strong carbonation. Very sudsy. Maybe too sudsy. It is overflowing in my refrigerator as I type.

Anyhow...tastes great. A little sweet, balanced by a little sour and a slightly bitter, dry finish. The lightness and balance bring this beer the first 5 I have ever assigned for drinkability...if I can spill it into a drinking vessel before it all explodes in foam.

I really like this beer, and only wish I didn't have to try to catch it as it continuously foams out of the bottle. This is why I marked it down for "appearance", since it doesn't look too good on my counter or floor.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Batch 297

I thought I new how to produce the proper amount of head with a careful pour. This beer showed me one of two things. Either this is not your ordinary beer, or I can't pour a beer! I tried my best to keep the head to a minimum, but even after an extremely careful pour, I got 75% head to beer ratio. Light and bubbly, it gets chunky as it settles, but never goes away completely. Retention and lacing are amazing, as is with other Jolly Pumpkin brews I've had.

I get citrus fruits, and some spices. Apricots and pears, as well as coriander and orange peel. There is a little bit of orange peel. To be honest, this doesn't taste much different from other Jolly Pumpkin brews I've had, but it's just slightly higher quality. There is also a noticeable funk that I assume is from brett.

The taste is much like the nose would lead you to believe. I really like how the fruits and citrus work with the carbonation, and not against it. The carbonation adds an entire new dimension to this brew, it keeps it light and floating if that makes sense. Slightly tart, as well as the light brett character. I really enjoy this one. By far my favorite Jolly Pumpkin so far.

The moughtfeel is almost my favorite part. The carbonation is very lively. There is definitely a party going on in this beer and I want to be a part of it. The size of the carbonation bubbles are very fine. There isn't that crisp feeling you get with a lot of other brews, this one is very smooth and light.

Overall, a solid offering. It's different, but not too far out there. I think even a non-craft beer drinker could appreciate this one. Solid brew.

4.68/5  rDev +13.6%

Bought a 750 of this at star grocery in Berkland (could be Oakland...could be Berkeley...).

A- This just looks... awesome. Bright gold with huge fluffy islands of foam. My only complaint was that there was too much foam after I opened it. It came billowing out the top for a while.

S-Off the bat, I can tell that this is brewed with wild yeasts (if I didn't read it on the bottle). There's some funk, Balsamic, cidery/winey aromas, a little bit of oak, and even a little bit of alcohol heat if you shove your nose really deep in there.

T- OMG! This is all over the place. There's vanilla and marzipan. Clove. Some funk and tartness, but this is most definitely NOT a sour ale (though maybe mine is rather fresh, as other people report some sourness and acidity in this beer) Pineapple in the middle. Dates and tropical fruit. Maybe some figs. Rounds out with a certain medicinal hoppiness. HUGE nods to Orval. This beer is awesome.

M- Light and bubbly. The taste lingers on your tongue for a long time, which may add to the perception of mouthfeel.

D- This is so good. I can't wait to buy this again, and try other things by this brewery. I seriously looking forward to each sip. If only I could drink it slower

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

Picked this up on a whim while at the Corral in Granite City.

Poured with a bright yellow color and hide a nice head. I really liked the smells going on here. Nice and fruity but also a spiciness to it. The flavor goes along with that. It' very effervescent and a lot of different flavors. Hard to pin down exactly but I got lemon and sour apple. There is also some spice in there as well. Clove perhaps and little peppery. I REALLY enjoyed this. It was quite different and everyone that sampled it with us thought it was the best of the evening.

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

From batch 297.

The head on this brew is white, thick and ENORMOUS. I managed to get about 3 ounces of liquid in my tulip on the first pour. While I was waiting for it to settle, the bottle started to overflow! I'm talking almost champagne-level carbonation here. There was no end to it. Either one or the other (the glass or the bottle) was overflowing for at least the first 15 minutes of me attempting to pour this beer. Quite the handful! The liquid is very clear and a true golden color. Now I see where it gets its name. Gets more yeasty-cloudy toward the end of the bottle.

Smells of lemon, very subtle clove and tart light fruits like peaches and apricots. Some vinegar. There's more there, but I just can't put my finger on everything.

Tastes very fruity: peaches, apricots, cherries. As with the Duchesse, I detect something akin to nail polish remover, but again it's actually nice within the context here. Great, full coconut flavor comes through after the swallow. A dash of vinegar appears in the taste as well. It's very tart and sour; bitter towards the end. I tried to record as much as I possibly could about the flavor, but I still feel like I'm not at all doing justice to the complexity of this brew. There were many flavors that I simply could not put my finger on - possibly just as many as those that I could.

Being that I have very little experience with brett, I was expecting this beer to be completely different than every other beer I've tasted, but it really wasn't. It was very easy to drink and I didn't feel like it was too far off the beaten path for me. A solid brew for sure, but it has not satisfied my craving for a mind-blowing, life-altering masterpiece of funk. I shall continue the journey.

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oak aged Batch 308 picked up at Liqour World In Fayetteville, AR

Pours an effervescent straw with 2 fingers of eggshell colored head. Murks a bit a the bottom as you'd expect from a bottle conditioned beer

S: Horse blanket & lemons, fades over time

T: Lemons, sourness, grassyness & funky acidity up front. Green apple peels , dirt & sourness dominates as this warms along with dryness, along with a touch of lemons & grapefruits & more tartness & acidity. Finishes with much citrus & acidity, grainyness, was close to a 5.0

MF: Pretty smooth, but the acidity does detract a bit up front. Medium bodied with hints of stickyness as this warmed, but the vigirous carbonation balanced this out

Drinks very easy for the abv & sourness & everything else going on. Probably the best JP bier I've had, by far ! Easily on of the best American sours I've had...

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

A 750ml capped bottle shared with psycohops and brothercannon. Poured into a trio of plain snifters, this ale greets the eyes with a hazy pale straw color and about an inch of pillowy bone white foam. Nose and flavors are of spicy yeast, black pepper, lemon zest, bready, and a touch of the funk. Not much alcohol presence to speak of here. Pleasant dry mouthfeel that really works here. The guy on my shoulder says I shouldn't have shared...

3.75/5  rDev -9%

1 pt. 9.4 fl.OZ. bottle at refrigerator temperature poured into a snifter. The bottle has a sticker on the back that reads, "Batch 284."

A - Pours a thick but light head, two inches high, almost cloudlike in appearance. The body of the brew is a light golden yellow, like that of an acacia honey.

S - Pepper, coriander, slight funkiness, but nothing is terribly pronounced. I get a touch of hops (floral notes rather than citrus or pine). The floral notes really come forward as the brew warms a bit.

T - Clean, smooth, crisp, and very well-balanced. The wild-yeast-funk is there, but it doesn't dominate at all. I get a subtle hint of floral flavors. This beer could be described as being very "bright," but in a different way than citrusy wheat beers. It's a little flat on the finish, but it's so enjoyable to drink that I decided to give it a break.

M - Really refreshing. Good levels of carbonation, so it's got a nice "pop." No sticky-mouth after drinking this beer!

D - Hard to believe that this brew is 8% ABV. It's very easy-drinking and addictive, so take your time! I would drink another of these, for sure. Some pairing ideas: fresh goat's milk cheeses or creamy cow's milk cheeses (think Bridgid's Abbey from Cato Corner farms!).

3.65/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled this at an epic tasting hosted by EinWeizenbitte. Thanks a ton Todd!

NOTE: Pretty sure this is my first Bière de Garde. Here goes:

Appearance: Huge, soft, white, head erupts from the pale yellow body. Body is just a bit hazy, and shows pretty active carbonation within. Head lays down a carpet of lace as it recedes. Heard there were some yeast floaties left in the bottom of the bottle; none in my glass though - nice pour Todd!

Smell: Champagne yeast and cider. Citrus, alcohol, and tons of sour funk.

Taste: Creamy malt comes through initially, followed by tart citrus, resinous hops, and then an avalanche of sourness. Finishes very dry. Turns a bit soapy in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Instantly turns to foam in the mouth. Spicy, highly carbonated, light-bodied, and very dry.

Drinkability: On top of this being my first Bière de Garde, it was also the first beer I've had from Jolly Pumpkin. While I can't say I was thrilled by the experience, I could imagine myself getting into these in the future.

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

This was the infamous bottle that stark all fo your kind remarks, but I think I got enough of it to judge

A - This beer poured a golden yellow color that produced a white fluffy solid head that had good retention and laced the glass nicely

S - The predominate smell I got was the yeast, with some spicy wisps

T - The taste of this beer had a great bready quality, with some lemon, but the star of this beer was the funk

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a light body with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - This was a very good beer, only wished I could have drunk more than the quarter that was left in the bottle, but what I got was good

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

This beer pours a clear golden-orange color with a small amount of sediment on the bottom. It has a decent sized head and great lacing on the chimay glass. This beer has a sour smell to it with some hints of banana--solid. The taste is pretty good. It resembles the taste except it is more of an orange hybrid. The carbonation is a bit weak, but he body is solid. Drinkability is nice for the ABV.

Poured into a tulip glass.

Upon opening the foam slowly rises up the neck of the bottle. I had a glass ready so it wasn't an issue, after pouring a tall glass I set it down, five minutes later the head had crept out of the bottle.

A- Amazingly beautiful fluffy and rocky head. The beer is golden yellow, slightly hazy with a bright white head.

S- Lots of yeast character, some white pepper. Faint hint of hops and alcohol. Remindes me of my favorite saison.

T- Crisp clean sweet and dry as champagne. No hops in the taste. Nice and tasty wild yeast funk but it's not overpowering, actually it would hurt to be a bit more funky with the brett.

M- Light bubbley and dry, overly dry really.

D- Very drinkable, 8% will sneak up on you. I will most likley finish this whole bottle myself. Overall a beer worthy of a try, I liked the ommegang slightly better though.

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Decided on a night cap for a beer I split this one with the girl since she likes the craft beers

A- Poured into a pint glass. People said there was a over-but I popped my bottle ant it was fine. Nice deep hazy golden straw color. Two inch head that went away to about maybe a quater inch off white head that never really went away. Nice looking beer. Lacing sticks to the side the entire beer never leaving the sides of the glass.

S- Nice lemon zest smell from the get go. Seems to be a tart lambic like smell as well. I really don't smell a alcohol presence in this per say. Upon the head going down a little more I pick up a musty barnyard scent. Hmmm...not a bad smell at all but kind of new to me.

T- Interesting. This is my first beer of this type. Nice tart taste like a lambic in my opinion. Lemon/citrus zing to it. Can taste the yeast (bready) in this...not a unpleasent taste but I think more so in other beers. Alcohol is well hidden.

M- This beer has a good carbination to it that I personally enjoy. Medium mouthfeel that coats the tounge with a lemony bready taste that stays after a sip.

D- This is a pleasant exchange from my normal IPA's. I could drink this as a regular line-up but I would much rather split a bottle with someone new and let them enjoy it as much as I did.

Oro De Calabaza from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales