Oro De Calabaza - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Oro De CalabazaOro De Calabaza

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Bière de Garde |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-28-2004)

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

3.75/5  rDev -9%

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%

Love this beer! It pours a hazy yellow-hay color with a big, white, pillowy head. The nose is sour-vinegar with notes of white wine, hay, grass, and a little something metallic (not in a bad way); made me think of old rotten grapes left behind on used farming equipment. The mouthfeel is rather dry and the beer has a medium body. The taste starts rather tart and sour and then sweetens in the middle and end. There are notes of pepper, apricot, and apple juice. It also has a white wine quality and is overall very well balanced.

This beer will always be special to me since it was one of the bottles my significant other and I popped the night we got engaged....so I may be a little biased!

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

From 750 mL to tulip glass

Bottled January 2013, opened November 2014

A: Yellow-orange in color, opaque, almost juicy in appearance. Little strands of carbonation meet a wispy head that leaves tiny traces of lacing.

S: As with all JP brews, the nose is funky and oaky; plenty of barnyard in this one. Lemon pepper and cherry phenols at the edge of the bouquet. Floral as well.

T: Funky and phenol-ic, but a lot more citrus on the palate than the nose forecasted. Rind-y tangerines and honey meet a healthy layer of barnyard funk and grass. Alcohol is well masked, as the beer closes with a short and dry finish.

M: Light and bubbly on the palate, well carbonated.

A tasty brew from the artists at Jolly Pumpkin. Not the most knock-you-on-your-ass brew from them, but I wouldn't pass it up either.

4.56/5  rDev +10.7%

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

3.7/5  rDev -10.2%

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

Date: 8/16/2014
Other notes: bottled 3/14

Appearance - 3.5/5
Pours a nice golden-orange. When held up to a bright light the color appears to be even more golden. Has moderate head, which dies off after a couple minutes. Quite hazy. The carbonation bubbles are visible flowing up through the ale, though not a rapid as I like to see. The slow rate of the carbonation makes the beer look kind of dead. Still, overall it looks appetizing

Smell - 4/5
A very tart smell, perhaps of tart apples, some citrus. Exactly the kind of tart smell I love and expect in a JP beer.

Taste - 4/5
At the beginning of a big sip, tastes of tart fruit flavors, perhaps sour cherries, lemons, apples. The perfect tart taste that I expect from a JP beer. At the end, as the sip is going down, there are hints of spices, which give the beer a bit of a kick at the end. Though I do not have the skill to describe precisely what the spices are. As I drink more, the spices become more pronounced and I can taste them throughout the sip. They are very subtle though. There is also a tiny bit of alcohol taste. The beer is quite balanced between the tarty-fruitiness and the spiciness. In any given sip, you can choose to focus on either and notice the tastes easily.

Mouthfeel - 3.75/5
The beer has a light to medium body and the feel is neither crisp nor creamy, but in the middle. Carbonation is noticible, but not overpowering. The spiciness works together with the carbonation to give a nice 'kick' to the mouth, but again, nothing to overpowering.

Overall - 4.25/5
I love the sour taste of the beer, but I am less a fan of the spicy/peppery-ness of it. I think I prefer some of the other JP beers over this one (I have the Calabaza Blanca in mind). This might be my 2nd or 3rd favorite JP beer I have tried. Though the beer is not perfect, I have found in JP beers a taste which I love and have not been able to find in any other beers. As such, I am still giving a high overall rating.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20%