Calabaza Blanca - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Calabaza BlancaCalabaza Blanca

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-25-2004)
View: Beers (40) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
BZalenskisGal

Wisconsin

02-19-2012 04:38:13 | More by BZalenskisGal
edwino

Arizona

1.5/5  rDev -61.4%

I'll be brief. Maybe I got hold of a bad bottle, who knows. But this is the first beer in a long time that I have poured down the drain. Absolutely tasteless. Nice bottle design though.

I really expected something more here. I've been a fan of Celis whitefor a long time and thought this might be something along those lines but it is like they took a good white beer and sucked the soul out of it.

05-29-2012 03:31:30 | More by edwino
arboristfish

Wisconsin

1.55/5  rDev -60.2%

The beer pours a pale straw yellow hazy color. There wasnt any head on this beer, and when I opened it there wasnt that noticeable KSHH sound to it. Hopefully it isnt a bad bottle. The smell is of sweet malt, and hints of orange peel and spices. The beer has a very sour bad funk to it. This has to be infected. Looking at the bottle cap there is a bulge on the bottom. Like a blister with something kind of dirt looking stuff in it. Gonna have to try this again...

11-23-2010 21:59:57 | More by arboristfish
tvghost

09-13-2013 03:32:48 | More by tvghost
MrMcGibblets

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

i really, really do not get the brett thing and am regretting like hell that i bought an entire sixer of this. i should have known that this is an acquired taste that happens to not be my cup of tea. if i wanted this sour brett stuff (my mistake, i guess), i should have just bought some wine. the sweet looking bottles finally lured me in, though. and despite knowing that they use brett (shouldn't this be a fucking flaw?), i figured they wouldn't use it in a wit, right? woops. this looks like a nice wit, and smells like one too. but in the mouth it's all sourness and astringency. like a beer gone horribly wrong. if anyone wants the rest of this sixer and lives in the naperville area please come and take it before i pour it down the drain. i'm dead serious, just email me and it's yours. it's taking up precious space in my beer fridge.

11-24-2007 08:01:26 | More by MrMcGibblets

Ontario (Canada)

05-18-2013 03:10:54 | More by hotsudge
Windigstadt

2.03/5  rDev -47.8%

A- Pours a slightly hazy yellow-orange with an adequate white head. Some floaties, but it's bottle-conditioned so I'll blame myself for not pouring it well.
S- Very spicy; not really coriander as I'd expect from a Wit; grains of paradise possibly? [Side note: after looking up the Jolly Pumpkin webpage I learned it is indeed coriander; go figure...] Also a strong sour apple note. Not picking up any orange peel.
T- The sour funk of brettomyces predominates. I'll be the first to admit I'm not a huge brett fan, but I can appreciate it where appropriate (e.g. Rodenbach Grand Cru). That being said, it's not part of a traditional Witbier profile, and the only hint of such flavors from the bottle description is the fact that it's aged in an oak barrel. If Jolly Pumpkin had warned me of the strong brett character, I could have avoided this. That being said, there's simply nothing about this beer that says "Witbier." No orange flavor. No coriander flavor. And while a slight lactic tang is appropriate, that's quite different from the funky, earthly sourness found in this beer. I'm sure plenty of Belgian beer folks love this beer and I have no problem with Jolly Pumpkin for brewing this, but don't call it a Witbier.
M- Light and effervescent.
D- Maybe if you're into wild fermentation you'd down several of these, but I'll be lucky if I get through this one bottle.

07-21-2008 01:48:53 | More by Windigstadt
Enola

2.03/5  rDev -47.8%

Received as part of the Double Trouble Bif.

Hmm. This beer is a cloudy yellow. There is a fair head. The smell is typical of the style. The taste is typical as well. The mouthfeel and drinkability are both typical too. Typical as in my least favorite style. This is the first beer of the BIF I have tried. It can only go up from here. On a hot summer day this may be a little more tolerable, but not on a cold winter day beside a wood stove.

01-09-2007 01:04:52 | More by Enola
letshaveanother

2.25/5  rDev -42.2%

03-13-2014 22:22:06 | More by letshaveanother
BeerBelcher

2.48/5  rDev -36.2%

Not a very good beer. Appearance was orange-y and cloudy with fairly minimal head. Aroma was striking - there was a lot of stinky feet or stinky cheese (isovaleric?) smell going on here, which I found fairly unpleasant (despite a fondness for cheese). Flavor was more distinctly orange-peel and witbier-like, although the sweat and cheese aroma persisted into the flavor. Mouthfeel was pretty astringent, particularly for a beer with such a low ABV. I did not find this to be very drinkable.

I would not recommend this beer.

09-08-2008 18:53:19 | More by BeerBelcher
stephengraniero

09-03-2012 22:49:52 | More by stephengraniero
RBorsato

2.5/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Tasted bottle on 9/25/06 at Tria Cafe in Philadelphia, PA.

White-ish colored with a huge white head and overcarbonated resulting in multiple pours. A funky oaky and tart aroma and flavor. The coriander and orange peel don't get a chance to shine in this one. Very light bodied and airy due to carbonation but refreshing enough I guess.

Not quite what I think of when I think of a wit... save your $.

Per Label: 4.8% ABV. "Wit Aged in Large Oak Casks" & "Orange Peel and Coriander"

($6.50 / 12 oz. bottle)

09-28-2006 21:02:03 | More by RBorsato
sharpski

Oregon

01-25-2014 18:46:22 | More by sharpski
PatrickJR

2.55/5  rDev -34.4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Hazy, very pale yellow. Soapy, two finger head rises and falls quickly leaving nothing. No lacing.

S - Pleasant aroma, but not quite on point with a wit. Citrus is present though it leans more towards lemon than orange. There's also a lot of sour aroma from (I assume) brett. A simple wheaty smell provides the backbone but overall it's fairly bland, particularly devoid of any spice or chalky yeast.

T - This hardly resembles a wit. Mild, tangy wheat with a touch of citrus starts things off. Mid palate the flavor becomes grainy and completely devoid of nuance before a slightly sour kick from the brett takes hold. A big, tart lemony element is intense but brief, and the brew finishes with a tapering sourness. No spice at all and very little typical witbier citrus.

M - A bit too thin for the style and quite a bit of carbonation. Both factors are undoubtedly
contributing to a percieved lack of flavor while honing in on the brett character.

D - Well, it isn't terrible. Calabaza Blanca is certainly a drinkable beer but it isn't very interesting. Pale, boring grain with a kick of brett. Rather than a witbier complimented with
brett, as I thought this would be, it's just a watery, boring excuse to throw sourness in a brew.

11-12-2008 09:49:43 | More by PatrickJR
BierGiek

2.65/5  rDev -31.9%

Feelings as to this beer noted above. Great appearance, all right aroma, mouth feel light and fitting for the style. As to taste: far too acidic, and the funk overwhelms the delicate witbiet characteristics. What's left is simply too much: no subtlety, too acidic, too funky, too many cooks in the kitchen. Pick a style and run with it; I've had enough of these everything but the kitchen sink beers

01-26-2014 00:59:14 | More by BierGiek
mrkrispy

Large form bottle says Batch 382/383

We just started getting JP distro back in San Diego summer of 2009, so I am hoping to try more of their beers. This is one I haven't had before.

Pours a very clear golden, more vibrant and yellow than a pils.
Quite bubbly, but no head. No sediment or haze, doesn't look anything like a wit but does look good.

Trademark Jolly Pumpkin funky nose, not sure what bugs are in here. Doesn't smell like brett though. A mild funk, bit of spice, wood, and vanilla? Very mild.

Wow, almost no flavor here. Tastes like a funkified version of a BMC lager. Thin, extremely dry. Tiny amount of lemon and spice far, far, away. Almost no tartness even though it is mentioned to be tart on the label. Double checked with the girl - same opinion... just no flavor. Clean and drinkable, but not in a refreshing way. This is a very poor representation of a witbier (almost no spice, no wheaty mouthfeel, filtered, etc) so it should get lower marks but it at least has some of the JP uniqueness.

This might be the first total disappointment I have had from Jolly Pumpkin. I was concerned about the shipping out here but I had a La Roja that arrived at the same time and it was fine and as I remember it.

09-15-2009 17:33:49 | More by mrkrispy
AndyEdgar

06-25-2014 21:02:29 | More by AndyEdgar
Applesauce1

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

I picked this up at the Pit Stop in Nelsonville, OH.

Appearance: gold color with a slight haze and a 3/4" head off the pour
Smell: oranges with some skunkiness
Taste: oranges; some malt; very watered down it seems; almost more of a orange pop flavor (not impressive)
Mouthfeel: light bodied
Drinkability: could do three or four in a night because its so light

Overall, I'm not too impressed with this beer. It has some good reviews up, so I might try it again and hopefully get a better bottle next time.

06-12-2007 05:22:29 | More by Applesauce1
WhiteOak

Connecticut

2.78/5  rDev -28.5%

A- Golden-white color with a slight haze. The white head falls quickly.

S- Smells nice with big, upfront aromas of wheat, yeast, orange peel, coriander. The smell is alluring, but what follows is a let-down.

T- Shrill, unpleasant tartness and Brett character dominates the palate mercilessly, along with a powdery yeastiness and a grassy hop finish.

06-12-2011 22:00:13 | More by WhiteOak
pentathlete

2.78/5  rDev -28.5%

Clear gold, almost lagerish appearance. The white head hangs around for a bit then collapses to a ring. Plenty of bubbly carbonation. Nose is odd mix of sugar, vanilla, fake banana odor. Taste is just as strange with a base of rubber band and club soda with some yeast and wheat malt thrown in, but it just isn't enough to overcome the taste. Mouthfeel is ok, medium. I can't get past the flavor. This is my second Jolly Pumpkin that has disappointed, the Roja was the other.

01-01-2006 04:11:58 | More by pentathlete
Chaney

District of Columbia

2.88/5  rDev -26%

I had this on draft at Pizza Paradiso in DC over on Dupont Circle.

A: Cloudy, almost peppery orange, with very little head, just a few bubble swirls on top.

S: Very unusual. Smells of pears, orange, coriander, sweet tarts, and pepper.

T: Even more unusual! VERY peppery, with tons of orange. The pepper cuts into the citrus and the two don't go very well together in this setting. Perhaps it's because the carbonation is almost non-existent? Also, I could use more tartness overall. It tastes like diluted orange juice concentrate.

M: Like I said, not much carbonation, which I think would have benefited this one.

D: I wouldn't get this again. There are too many great Witbiers out there.

09-01-2010 21:02:03 | More by Chaney
antlerwrestler19

Nebraska

2.9/5  rDev -25.4%

A massive pillowy head that billowed up from a heavily carbonated golden straw colored beer - a little overkill it seemed. The smell is pleasant but nothing is really jumping out at me - lemon, citrusy, funky bits here and there. The taste is the same as the nose for the most part but once the sweet funkiness disappears from my palate the aftertaste imparts an unpleasant metallic flavor that isn't exactly inviting me in for another drink. The mouthfeel is too much to handle - one small sip allows for an explosion of fiz that takes up my entire mouth making it hard for me to really enjoy this. I'm a bit bummed out as this is my first Jolly Pumpkin beer I've tried. I found this bottle along with a Bam Noire in a local gas station/market store and wondered why they were in Omaha, NE (pretty sure JP doesn't distribute here). Anyway I took the advice of some fellow BAs and made the purchase only to be disappointed. I'm hoping this beer is just old and has been sitting there getting worse and worse. Hopefully JP can impress me in the future with some other stuff (I'm sure they will).

Cheers