Calabaza Blanca - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Calabaza BlancaCalabaza Blanca

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-25-2004)
4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

In the "Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" the mystical G. P. never arrives much to Linus's chagrin. In the Jolly Pumpkin's world it's the pumpkin ale that never arrives. What? Contrary to popular belief and local legend these guys don't put out a brew befitting their moniker. Anywho...what they do deliver is a spice-rack bed of Procrustes. Of the few I've tried (at the brewery from the tap and in single bottles) the spices over-ride the smooth creaminess of otherwise excellent beer. This one is the exception so far. There's enough tang in it to let you know that you've been with a tart but not enough spice to make you fret that you have been infected with her malty infarction. Scared little man? Ish Kabibble...I should worry? No! Not me!

thelagerheads, Jul 27, 2006

krome, Nov 17, 2014

jgunther71, Nov 17, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +12.6%

Date: 8/9/2014

Appearance - 4.75/5
Perhaps it's just my particular lighting conditions, but this beer absolutely glows when held up to the light. It has a perfect orange beer color. The carbonation bubbles flow quickly upward, making this beer look alive, almost as if it was beckoning me to come drink it. Again, the carbonation might just be due to my particular bottle (the carbonation almost overflowed the bottle when I opened). Once the initial head settles, there is little to no head, but the carbonation bubbles still flow rapidly upward. Even after sitting for probably 5-10 minutes, the carbonation flowing quickly upward is still evident.

Smell - 3.5/5
The initial whiff is a mixture of tasty tart smell and cheap beer smell (which I don't really mind). I didn't seem to really be able to smell much after the initial whiff (perhaps the beer is too cold, or my nose is off today), but what I did smell was essentially the same tart + standard beer smell.

Taste - 4.2/5
My first deep sip reveals a tart, juicy ambiguous fruit flavor--maybe some tastes of apple and lemon as well as other fruits. I have had several other Jolly Pumpkin beers, and I love the sour taste they all have. If you have had the Oro de Calabaza or Calabaza Boreal, the sour taste is basically very similar to those beers. I personally love the sour style of JP beer, and I think JP does a great job at making delicious tart beers. I came into the drinking of this beer with an expectation for the classic JP tartness, and I was not disappointed. Perhaps one minor complaint I have which slightly lowers the rating I give is that the high carbonation level somewhat masks the taste of the beer, however I love the carbonation, so the trade-off is of minor consequence.

Mouthfeel - 4.75/5
The beer is very alive and I can feel the carbonation bubbling on my tongue the moment it makes contact. As a swish the beer around my mouth, more carbonation is created, giving a bubbly mouthfeel. It's a great experience for the mouth. The beer is light, not heavy, it moves easily around the mouth and down the throat.

Overall - 4.6/5
Overall, a great drinking experience. I may be biased due to my love for the tartness of the beer, but since that is part of the intended experience for this beer, I think it is fair to give the beer a high rating for pulling it off well. Definitely a beer I would drink again.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20%

3.76/5  rDev -3.3%

Joestradamus91, Nov 01, 2014
3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

wethorseblanket, Oct 31, 2014

Open it over the sink! Taste is decent but too much carbonation for me.

coder, Oct 28, 2014

moarmare, Oct 27, 2014

Griffith, Oct 25, 2014

JamLand, Oct 25, 2014

SoCalBeerIdiot, Oct 15, 2014

jeremiahoden, Oct 13, 2014
3.08/5  rDev -20.8%

Tough pour when its just opened. Really aggressive carbonation. Hazy orange. Nose is sharp and tart, full of apple cider vinegar, some yeast at the tail end.

Just too overwhelmingly sour to me. Decent wheat finish, but the tartness abrades your taste buds and scrubs away most of anything else in the brew. The spices and all the rest are lost in the sour.

Simply too one dimensional to be enjoyed. I've had better wits that have more on offer.

TerryW, Oct 12, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

Appearance: aggressive carbonation, pour slowly; huge white head, like meringue, and long retention; foggy, gold coloured body

Aroma: orange and spice are prevalent, a touch of aluminium; peach jam

Taste & Mouthfeel: light and bordering on watery with a champagne like effervescence; mostly bready, wheat flavour with hints of spice, orange rind, clove, coriander, white pepper; once the chill dies down, the mouthfeel improves, growing more full, and the flavours become more clear as well

Overall: in the end, a good witbier but can't say it gained much from aging; might want to have this one a bit warmer than you normally would

BGDrock, Oct 10, 2014

Luisc94, Oct 10, 2014

joemcgrath27, Oct 10, 2014

t2grogan, Oct 08, 2014

Nice aromas of wild yeast and orange. Very high carbonation. Mouthfeel is strong but short. Very sour with traces of coriander and citrus. Surprisingly, barrel aging taste is quite absent. No bitterness and very refreshing.

Franck, Oct 05, 2014