Calabaza Blanca - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Calabaza BlancaCalabaza Blanca

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-25-2004)

4.48/5  rDev +14.9%

3.84/5  rDev -1.5%

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

4.04/5  rDev +3.6%

Pale golden straw colour. Quite hazy. Huge head. I could not keep it down. The head filled at least half of the glass. Tons of very active carbo streams. Not much lacing considering the head.

A very brett aroma. Smellslike a barnyard in a very good way. The brett is over the wheat aroma. Lots of coriander too.

A very tart taste that comes in 2 waves. First upfront is a tart lime taste. Then at the end in the back of the palette is a stronger sharper tartness. Herby taste of coriander along with oakiness from the barrel aging. A medincial brett taste as it warms. This is not the sweet spiciness of a typical witbier.

Very dry feel with lively carbonation in the mouth.

This is hard to rate because it is so atypical of a witbier. I appreciate how well it is made. I enjoy the tartness. It took 2 sittings for me to sip through the 750 ml.

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%

Date: 8/9/2014

Appearance - 4.75/5
Perhaps it's just my particular lighting conditions, but this beer absolutely glows when held up to the light. It has a perfect orange beer color. The carbonation bubbles flow quickly upward, making this beer look alive, almost as if it was beckoning me to come drink it. Again, the carbonation might just be due to my particular bottle (the carbonation almost overflowed the bottle when I opened). Once the initial head settles, there is little to no head, but the carbonation bubbles still flow rapidly upward. Even after sitting for probably 5-10 minutes, the carbonation flowing quickly upward is still evident.

Smell - 3.5/5
The initial whiff is a mixture of tasty tart smell and cheap beer smell (which I don't really mind). I didn't seem to really be able to smell much after the initial whiff (perhaps the beer is too cold, or my nose is off today), but what I did smell was essentially the same tart + standard beer smell.

Taste - 4.2/5
My first deep sip reveals a tart, juicy ambiguous fruit flavor--maybe some tastes of apple and lemon as well as other fruits. I have had several other Jolly Pumpkin beers, and I love the sour taste they all have. If you have had the Oro de Calabaza or Calabaza Boreal, the sour taste is basically very similar to those beers. I personally love the sour style of JP beer, and I think JP does a great job at making delicious tart beers. I came into the drinking of this beer with an expectation for the classic JP tartness, and I was not disappointed. Perhaps one minor complaint I have which slightly lowers the rating I give is that the high carbonation level somewhat masks the taste of the beer, however I love the carbonation, so the trade-off is of minor consequence.

Mouthfeel - 4.75/5
The beer is very alive and I can feel the carbonation bubbling on my tongue the moment it makes contact. As a swish the beer around my mouth, more carbonation is created, giving a bubbly mouthfeel. It's a great experience for the mouth. The beer is light, not heavy, it moves easily around the mouth and down the throat.

Overall - 4.6/5
Overall, a great drinking experience. I may be biased due to my love for the tartness of the beer, but since that is part of the intended experience for this beer, I think it is fair to give the beer a high rating for pulling it off well. Definitely a beer I would drink again.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20%

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%

3.76/5  rDev -3.6%

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

Open it over the sink! Taste is decent but too much carbonation for me.

Calabaza Blanca from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales