Calabaza Blanca - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Calabaza BlancaCalabaza Blanca

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-25-2004)
3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

Calabaza is a variety of squash that grows to the size of a pumpkin. Any correlation? Pours light sunny straw color with a rough cloudiness that is common in wits. A good pour leaves a fluffy head with decent size bubbles. Although the retention is pour and quickly hides to the side of the glass but never completely disappears.

The nose has a lot of yeast notes. There is a muddled grainy aroma that has somewhat a husky presence. Some lighter spicy notes or citrus, mostly orangy, coriander and some faint pepper notes. Maybe some touches of DMS as well.

The taste is more balanced then the nose would indicate. A Belgian feel for sure with a sour feel and some esters coming out. The orange flavor is balanced and backed off with more malt touches coming out. Still have that grainy taste. Some orange but limited spice. Coriander is limited as well.

The body is light and crisp but some off flavors deter a bit. A light bit off style for me but overall everything is good.

Oxymoron, Sep 25, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A - Light honey colored, bright white head

S - Some acid and sweetness, maybe some floral aroma

T - Sweet, sour, barfy, bitter, cereal! Tastes like 2/3 Berliner weiss mixed with 1/3 Orval.

M - Somewhat watery, nothing objectionable

D - An easy drinker, feels like you could treat the 750ml bottle like a 12oz'er

BenZ, Sep 24, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Saw that this beer now comes in six packs, so I had to pick up a single to give it a go. Pours a cool, golden, somewhat murky color, with a nice head that accumulates rapidly, and holds up very well. Sediment can also be seen accumulating toward the bottom of the glass. Aroma has something so familiar in it, but I cannot quite put my finger on it... perhaps the slight funk of hard boiled eggs. It definitely has a certain stink to it, but in a very good way. Other aromas I smelled included vinegar, sour cherries, and lemon. Taste is full of tart lemon flavors, and a bit of green apple. It finishes somewhat on the dry side in a way that is similar to the way a gueze leaves you. Mouthfeel is light, with good dose of carbonation to liven things up a bit. Very easy to drink as well if you are in to other funky wild ales. What a beer! I will be getting this beer again for sure. Probably the most interesting example of this style I have tasted.

jamie2dope, Sep 19, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -5.4%

Bottle. Pours a slightly cloudy yellow color with a thin white head. Aroma of lemon and orange. Very wine-like. Nice mouthfeel. Flavor is sour, with a lemony touch to it. Not as flavorful as I would have thought. I expected more of a wine-like taste to it. A decent sour, but not my favorite.

Dansting, Sep 11, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

Bright yellow with a thin white head. The nose is full, tart and the taste is sour goodness with a little fruitiness, God I wish I hadn’t burned my tongue on some soup earlier in the day. This is the best wit beer I have ever had and another winner from Jolly Pumpkin. Mouthfeel is bubbly and enjoyable. Jolly Pumpkin beers are not cheap but you definitely get what you pay for and I love the funkiness.

ArrogantB, Sep 10, 2007
3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

12oz brown bottle pured into a standard pint glass
Very pale yellow in color. My bottle might be over carbonated, no matter how slowly I pour the head quicklyt fills the glass and foam up out of the bottle. Gian chunk of sediment in the bottle suspended in the beer. Head fades quickly but leaves big piles on the sides of the glass.
Strong yeasty wheat aroma.
Flavor also seems yeasty with a bit of a crisp spicy finish.
Feels a bit bubbly on my tongue but again i might have a carbonation issue with this bottle.
A nice beer for a hot day.

kaelingirl, Sep 08, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

Appearance:
The beer is straw gold in color and surprisingly clear. There's tight white head to the beer but the retention and lacing are poor.

Smell:
Initially the scent was respectably strong but its potency wanes as the beer warms which seems weird but moving along. For the most part there's a rich banana tone with some abrasive spice notes of peppery coriander. There's a good sweet orange undertone throughout. Towards the back there is a just a touch of butterscotch.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
The beer goes down relatively crisp and dry and is overall a little light on the palate. Sweet orange, like an orange tootsie pop, comes through as the strongest flavor for me although it does develop a tart edge towards the finish. A smooth wheat undertone builds up the middle to the back and carries on in to the finish which is pretty clean and, again, dry. There's a slight touch of banana in the aftertaste but it's rather agreeable.

Drinkability:
It's a good beer that drinks light and refreshing so there really isn't a whole lot to dislike here. Perfectly drinkable if you're in to witbiers.

Bottom Line:
This is my first time having this brew from Jolly Pumpkin and I think I can honestly say it's giving La Roja a strong fight for my favorite of their brews. I'd recommend this beer to just about anybody, not just beer fans.

Grundle20, Sep 01, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -10.5%

Pours a very light golden color. Slight head that disipates rather quickly. Smell is spicy, but somewhat reserved. Smell is carbonated, with some wine like flavors. I’m getting some lemon zest as well as some white grapes. Very crisp, refreshing and easy drinking. Not the funk bomb that is anticipated, but a good beer nonetheless.

FtownThrowDown, Aug 30, 2007
3.43/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured into my de garre snifter while watching another episode of Big Love.

A - Pours a nice cloudy bright yellow with a big two finger head.

S - A very citrusy-sour smell dominates the aroma. A lemony sourness from the yeast combined with a sweet orange smell from the spices. This sounds great in theory, but it actually seems kind of muddled.

T - The sourness dominates this brew, very lemony. Followed by a sweet, warming spiciness, with a hint of orange. Again, this sounds great, but this beer seems to suffer from multiple personality disprder. I enjoy this beer, and i thought I would have loved the combination of a sour wit. However, I think I would have them separate.

M - Hugely carbonated. This really accentuates the flavor, however it is a bit much.

D - Measuring drinkability by the standard of if I would have another this is a one. However, it is fairly drinkable, enjoyable beer. I liked it, but I wont be enjoying this one again.

IPAcraig, Aug 14, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle at cellar temp into my New Belgium goblet, the Calabaza Blanca is a clear gold with a creamy, medium-large sized white head that is slow to subside and leaves a foamy collar.

The aroma is beckoning with a soft sweetness, curacao and a mineral spritziness reminiscent of saisons, with some wheat funk as well. Very nice, but as I often find to be the case with brews that use curacao, there's just a bit to much orange.

The taste is very nice, grainy wheat with just a touch of citrus from the spices and the historically accurate bacteria sourness, which is very rare to find in wit's these day, and exactly why I like this one so much. I particularly like how the spices,are so much less obvious on the palate, in spite of the fairly orange heavy aroma. Highly attenuated with a very clean and dry, bitter finish.

The mouthfeel is light with a creamy yet sharp carbonation that gives it a pleasant crispness.

This is a very drinkable beer if you like the wild ales. I love them, and this is a great example of how they can be restrained and refreshing. The low alcohol also adds to the drink all day in the sun factor. If only it was more affordable, it would be by go to hot day beer. Pretty much the perfect wit for me, at least commercially available. If i tried to brew this myself, I'd probably add a little candi sugar to punch up the ABV about 1.5% while still keeping the body light. But the fact is I really love this one. In fact, as I worked my way through the bottle, I kept bumping up my scores to the point that it's probably one of my highest rated beers, and rightly so for my tastes!

ccrida, Aug 07, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a faint yellow with a two finger head. Aroma is very enticing orange peel and spices. Definitely has that signature Jolly Pumpkin taste, which I am not sure how to explain. Must be the yeast. Very pleasant blend of orangey citrus with the mild wheat. Very tasty. Too much carbonation and slightly thin mouthfeel. Would be interesting to try a slightly sweeter version, although I like the clean aftertaste.

Duster72, Jul 19, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -1%

A - Pours a nice light yellow color - looks very appealing. A light 1/4" head. No lacing - clear pour.

S - The first smell that hits is the smell of citrus and spice. I think its a bitter orange peel that jumps out first.

T - Interesting taste. Somewhat separated form the smell. The first hit is a bitter citrus flavor. After taste doesn't linger very long. Not getting much coriander or spice in the taste.

M - A decent amount of carbonation. Its crisp. Good feel.

D - I think I could drink a few of these. Its a nice change of pace from some of the other more sweet/spicy wits.

I'm happy w/ the JP offerings so far. Although for the $$ I might hit something else first.

katan, Jul 15, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -4.1%

A - Cloudy golden-yellow. Very little head

S - This is going to sound odd, but I smell mustard. Not quite, but very similar. I guess it must be the coriander and orange peel. I must say, it's not a "bad" mustard smell, if you can believe that, it is the first thing my nose picked up however.

T - Coriander, some orange. Very sour almost astringent, which I have never tasted in a whit before. Very interesting. Makes my mouth water after drinking it.

M - About average for a whit, on the lighter side of things.

D - This is a very interesting beer, different then most other whits I have had, and worth a try. I wouldn't drink a lot of it, or often, but I would recommend it.

enfield249, Jul 13, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A- It poured an opaque golden yellow. A big, frothy, pure, white head topped it off and stayed around throughout the entire glass. After I thought I had emptied the bottle, I noticed some yeast left behind. I poured the greyish brown substance in, to finish out the pour. I'd call it highly carbonated. There was a bunch of foamy lace left behind as I sipped.

S- I felt it was quite wheaty in the nose. At first I picked up the candied banana scents I would associate with a Hefe, but after some more sniffs I found the orange and spice aromas I had expected.

T- There were a lot of sour tones that masked the orange and spice flavors that were lurking in the background. There was more sour flavor in the finish.

M- The head tickles the lip. Higher levels of carbonation stimulate the mouth. The sour flavor excite the tongue. All in all, a complex feel.

D- This is an easy drinker. It's really nice for summer drinking during the day. I'm not going to polish off a six-pack in a sitting, but the 12oz. single left me wanting more.

Overall- This was different from any Witbier I've had before, but I really enjoy JP's interpretation of the style.

GRPunk, Jul 09, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

Purchased several bottle last month while in MI for a wedding.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy pale with a thick white foam that lingered pretty much forever. In the glass, this looks exactly how I would expect a Wit (white) beer to look.

Aroma: Smells heavily of wheat and straw with citrus notes of lemon and possible curacao. Funky wild yeast aroma of barnyard with the wheat makes me feel like I am on the farm drinking this farmhouse type beer.

Taste: Light lemony citrus is not mouth puckering but slightly drying on the palate. Earthly raw and malted wheat give it a slight grassy note and farmhouse feel.

Mouthfeel: Drying and slight tart with good body and wonderful carbonation that helps carry the citrus character. Very refreshing.

Drinkability: I could drink this all day. Definitely my favorite Jolly Pumpkin . Much better representation of style than Hoegaarden and Blue Moon. Excellent on a warm summer day like most wheat. Buy it and try it.

bigman147, Jul 08, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle. Pours a cloudy brownish yellow with a fizzy white head that quickly recedes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing. It has some chunky yeasties in the bottom.

The aroma is musty yeast, wheat, some floral hops and sweet and tart citrus.

The flavor is musty earthy yeast with some peppery spices and some tart and slightly sour citrus. The mouthfeel is is medium with a ton of sharp carbonation.

Overall, an enjoyable lighter beer. It's interesting for a wit - a little more tart fruits than spices. This is more of what I was expecting from the Bam Biere.

Beaver13, Jun 28, 2007
3.6/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a very pale gold, hazy and with a decent head that fades all too quickly. The smell is light lemon and orange with a very slight spiciness. The taste is light and refreshing lemon and orange again followed by a faint hit of coriander and a light grassiness. The mouthfeel is crisp and light and very thirst quenching. I really like the Jolly Pumpkin brews, but this one is really, really light. It's enjoyable, but there could be some more substance to it. Perhaps some more time in the bottle would bring out some more funk or sour. As is, a simple summer quaffer.

Georgiabeer, Jun 21, 2007
2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

I picked this up at the Pit Stop in Nelsonville, OH.

Appearance: gold color with a slight haze and a 3/4" head off the pour
Smell: oranges with some skunkiness
Taste: oranges; some malt; very watered down it seems; almost more of a orange pop flavor (not impressive)
Mouthfeel: light bodied
Drinkability: could do three or four in a night because its so light

Overall, I'm not too impressed with this beer. It has some good reviews up, so I might try it again and hopefully get a better bottle next time.

Applesauce1, Jun 12, 2007
3.05/5  rDev -21.6%

12 oz Bottle poured into an Imperial Pint Glass

A - Pours a cloudy pale banana color with minimal 1/2 inch head that fades rather quickly. Lacing is marginal.

S - Very tart orange peel scent with a touch of spice, coriander included. Good amount of sugary sweetness. Tart fruitiness may have some lemony flavors as well.

T & M - Wow, incredibly tart orange/lemon fruitiness and an overwhelming amount of tiny carbonation bubbles. This front-loaded beer almost wears out its welcome from the get-go. Stays tart all the way through but the body gets fairly thin and unimpressive. Aftertaste is drying, but the tartness is still wreaking havoc on my tastebuds.

D - Jolly Pumpkin seems to have missed the mark on this brew. Too bad, because I've enjoyed all of their other beers that I've tried so far. This beer is way too one-dimensional in its tartness for me to even think about having another. ABV is not a factor at 4.8%. Buy with caution.

gmcfarre, Jun 10, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +16.5%

750 ml. bottle, 4.8% ABV. Cloudy golden color, with a slight orange tint. Lots of active carbonation produces a thick fluffy white head that lasts the entire life of the beer. Great lace left on the glass at the end.

Orange zest, and other citrus fruits in the aroma, as well as corriander. Slightly sour in the nose as well.

Good tartness up front, without being puckering. Some corriander and spices, but they are restrained. Tartness lingers. Good balance with earthy hops.

Light bodied with refreshing carbonation. Great refreshing beer, perfect for summer.

Bierguy5, Jun 07, 2007
3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Light hazy yellow, lots of effervescent bubbling. Pillowy head, good volume, not much for retention. Lacing is minimal.

Husky grain, subtle wit spicing, and sour citric fruit in the aroma. Certainly not overpowering.

The flavor is similarly light. First thing to notice is the tartness of flavor, it's quite sour. There is some coriander aftertaste and a dry finish. More sour than sweet, a little thin, with some citrus as well.

I'm enjoying this sour beer, it's an interesting take on the wit syle.

BretSikkink, Jun 03, 2007
4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

Sampled on 5-26-07

Pours a crystal clear gold, with a huge craggy white head that maintains itself a half-inch above the surface.

Smell is very spicy, slightly sour with notes of citrus fruits and a little Belgian.

Taste is super spicy, with a sour kick right in the middle. Tons of citrus flavors follows with just a hint of bitterness. The aftertaste is bready, but light.

Mouthfeel is good, strong carbonation at first really brings out the spicy and sour.

Drinkability is also good, not too strong and very easy to enjoy.

Overall, a very good beer and very much worth a try. It's not as heavy and Belgian as some other witbiers, and thats a good thing.

BMoney575, May 27, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -1%

Jolly Pumpkin Calabaza Blanca
750 ml bottle
Recent brewing, cleansed 05/07
Moderate pour in a mug.

Poured a hazy straw color with a huge rocky white head with fair lacing.

Smelt of strong fresh oranges and lemons, coriander, light bread and dough.

Taste was upfront strong sour orange and lemon juice with light to moderate bread notes followed by moderate sour oranges and lemon and bitter doughy yeast on an average finish.

Palate was light to medium bodied, lively carbonated, slightly dry on a dry finish, moderately puckering and slightly astringent.

Overall, this is a nice soft introduction to the sour beers of Jolly Pumpkin. The people whom I've shared this with, none of them being big craft beer drinkers, were very pleased with it. The sourness intrigues but doesn't overwhelm. Not my personal favorite Jolly Pumpkin though.

xav33, May 14, 2007
3.6/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A pale copper golden urine color with a brilliant white head that contains mucho carbonation and is very flimsy and large. Decent retention with some lacing.

New Amercian oak with lemon zesty esters. Sourness is very prevelant and the bretts are at play in full force. Other tropical fruit aromas with hints of coriander and starfruit. Not bad aromas at all.

Highly carbonated, very easy drinking and very good. Carbonation may be slightly too much and the zip and sparkle may actually take away some fruit profile. Orange peel and corriander with freshly squeezed lemon and new oak flavors. Very refreshing and drinkable with zingy acidity on the finish.

mcallister, Apr 29, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -14.4%

Not a bad beer, but I've been more impressed with some other Jolly Pumpkin beers. Poured from a 750ml bottle into a pint glass, this was a yellow, faintly hazy beer with a small head. It had a fruity, spiced wheat aroma. It had a citrus taste, orange mostly, decent tartness, and some warming spice. I thought it was a little too bubbly, and not a beer I'd want to drink a lot of.

lordofthewiens, Apr 29, 2007