Calabaza Blanca - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Calabaza BlancaCalabaza Blanca

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-25-2004)
wcudwight

3.43/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a hazy pale yellow color with a massive creamy white head that has excellent retention. Spotty spiderweb lacing.
Smell is citrus dominate with some Eggo waffles mixed in. No shit, I smell Eggo waffles in this beer.
Taste is much like the smell. Lot's of citrus. Lemon, Lime, Orange, in that order. There is also some spicyness mixed in, but I'm not familure enough with the style to differentiate between the spices.
Mouthfeel is thin and very carbonated. I normally don't like heavily carbonated beers but it works here. It has a nice dry finish.
I feel like this should be a session beer with it's light body and low abv. But for me this is not a session beer. Maybe it's the style, maybe the bitterness, but for some reason I don't see me sessioning these. That does not make it a bad beer, it's actually quite tasty...just not one to session
Boolshot and Marvz contributed this to my palate curtousy of the Double Trouble BIF.

12-13-2006 04:05:51 | More by wcudwight
mrmanning

Ontario (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev -8%

Bomber from Beer Depot in Ann Arbour, MI- Pours milky hazy yellow with a fluffy, creamy, cappucino head. Lots of floaties too. Nose is spices, curacao,candy, with lots of brett. Funky orange peel citric flavours are unique. Spices and flowers filter through to the finish. Very tart and refreshing. Good on ya’ Ron!

12-02-2006 16:48:22 | More by mrmanning
goochpunch

4.7/5  rDev +20.8%

Pours out a hazy gold with tons of rapid bubbles racing up the beer from all points, even climbing up the glass. 1/4" head is maintained well and leaves thick, sticky lacing like merengue when drunk. Even the remaining beer in the bottle has a head. I'm guessing it's some wild and crazy yeast with Omar Gooding and Donny Jeffcoat. Smells of wheat crackers, grain, citrus oils, with spiciness and mustiness from the yeast. Leaves the nose clean after filling it with all these aromas. Upon tasting, a bright acidity rushes the palate. This is very tart. Taste is of lots of citrus, along with wheat malt and grain. Some spicy yeast in the middle. Finishes dry, clean, and with more tartness. This tastes almost like a witbier and gueuze blend. Mouthfeel is light and really spritzy, perfectly setting off the acidity. However, after first pouring, the carbonation was a bit much and would just foam up in my mouth. It's making me kind of gassy too. This is extremely refreshing and sessionable.

Jolly Pumpkin is 2 for 2.

12-02-2006 06:29:57 | More by goochpunch
Phatz

Thanks to Woody Chandler for sharing this beer with me.

As Witbiers go this is a solid representation of the style though unique in it's own right.

Apperacance: Pours a light golden color with a foamy head and adequate lacing.

Aroma; A hint of oak, yeast and bread aromas are unique in this aroma, along with the Witbier aroma of lemon pepper spice and coriander.

Taste: Citrus and grassy flavors parallel the unique tangent this beer takes down the malty bready oak flavor trail but then returns to light dry sweet and sour tart that is apropos to style, and tasty enough if this is you thing.

Mouthfeel: Light spicy and quite carbonated, but smooth and refreshing.

Drinkability: I must admit I am not a bit Witbier guy but this one would be decent on a hot summer afternoon. On November 18th on clod afternoon ... well it was a welcome deviation from some of the bigger beer we were drinking but it didn't blow me away either.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

11-24-2006 02:45:16 | More by Phatz
gpcollen1

Connecticut

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

Acquired via trade with ppoitras – thank you kind sir!

Pours a light golden honey into my troubadour tulip yielding a huge, soft pillow of a head that slowly settles back into the brew. This beer is very intriguing – aromas of spice and citrus.

The taste follows the nose – citrus and spice – now I get a bit of the coriander. It follows through with a bit of a pucker – the tartness is very welcome here adding a nice twist to what I was expecting. Carbonation is moderate but fits nicely with the tartness. About half way through the glass a begin to get a mild dryness on the finish – nothing to apparent but just right for this brew.

This beer really seems suited for my taste buds – thoroughly enjoyable. For a Sunday morning brew!!

11-12-2006 17:39:02 | More by gpcollen1
NeroFiddled

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

The "white pumpkin" pours a hazy yellow-gold body beneath a fluffy head of bright white. The head retention is great, no doubt buoyed by the effervescent bubbles rising from beneath, but the lacing is limited. The nose is oaky with some orange/lemon and non-descript spice beneath. It's light bodied and zesty in the mouth with a very fine-bubbled, effervescent, natural carbonation from bottle conditioning The flavor is oaky and dry upfront, followed by a spritz of orange/lemon and a touch of ginger-like spice. Coriander becomes apparent in the finish. Tart, refreshing, dry. It has a low bitterness to it, but it's still very dry in the finish, no doubt in great part to the oak-aging. Delicate. Enjoyable.

11-12-2006 16:30:02 | More by NeroFiddled
mrasskicktastic

4.53/5  rDev +16.5%

A - An eternal one finger white head rest atop a lemon rind yellow very hazy brew. No lacing. The dredges of the bottle were a murky copper tinted orange.

S - Lemon pith, orange pith, strawberries with a bit of earthy undertones. Last pour from the bottle had stronger earth presence.

T - A light lemony zest with a strong tart lemony sour. A bit of an orange pith flavor. Spiciness is mild, but decernable - mostly of grated lemon peel and coriander. A bit of a dusty, earthy, yeasty flavor - actually quite good. There is an extremely faint grapefruit pith bitterness in the finish. This yeasty flavor is stronger is the last pour, while the zesty lemon is weaker. Often strong tart citrus flavors will taste like vomit. This completely bypasses that somehow. Not a hint of sweetness. I generally like beers that are a little sweet, but this is the only belgian ale I have had which is devoid of sweetness - and I really like it.

M - Carbonation is high, thin and very refreshing. End of the bottle is smoother, the carbonation is no longer a problem - still thin and refreshing.

D - Fantastic! I loved this beer. It was interesting flavororful and quaffable. Would make a nice apertif. It is a bit too mild to hold it's own against food. It wouldn't ruin most dishes, but most dishes would ruin this beer. I will have to have this again. I loko forward to my other Jolly Pumpkins.

10-30-2006 01:12:50 | More by mrasskicktastic
emerge077

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured very slowly into a pint glass, resulting in massive, pillowy foam. Multiple tiny streams of carbonation course through the liquid. Head is slow to fall, looks like a whipped merengue.

As the last dregs of wheat & yeast are swirled then poured, the body becomes increasingly opaque. Watching the yeast fighting against the upward carbonation is like witnessing some primitive chemical reaction.

Smells of coriander, earth, lemon, and fruit pastille candy. Taste is earthy belgian yeast, mildly tart citrus, not much hint of alcohol. Pretty zippy overall with the carbonation and citrus taste. Yeast/wheat delivers a smooth mouthfeel without being soapy or heavy. Tart, tasty, and thirst-quenching.

Ranks among the best and most unique US versions of this Belgian style, in my humble opinion.

Edit: The first time I tried this, I didn't think much of it. By the 2nd or 3rd time, it's subtlety was clearly it's strong suit, and I find myself returning to it again and again for a good thirst-quencher. This ale has expanded my understanding of this style.

10-15-2006 00:46:08 | More by emerge077
GimpyCane

This brew was recommended and my wife and I were not that impressed. Poured a hazy blond w/ a creamy white 1 inch head that mostly diminished. Got a whiff of coriander, honey and some smoke elements. The body was light, watery and very fizzy like a champagne. IMO and my wife's opinion there is to much involve and drank like a champagne. Although we finished the 22 oz. bottle it was a hard to finish. For those out there, hope you get a better result.

10-03-2006 03:52:17 | More by GimpyCane
Onibubba

Kentucky

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

My first JP. Glad to have been able to pick this up in a 12 oz. Fizzes immediately upon opening, and a somewhat funky sour lemon smell spills out along with the foam. Head eventually settles down over a hazy yellow body.

Smell is more citrus/lemon than spice, but it is there too. The funk is not entirely off putting. Not sure what I was expecting, but this was not it.

LOVE the taste. I had my first Wit, a Hoegaarden, with lunch and was not very impressed. I prefer this. The lemon and sour funk is more dominant in this beer.

Mouthfeel could be better. Carbonation is high, not something I am too fond of. Drinkability suffers somewhat from this, even though I like the taste. I could drink several of these in a setting easily though. Very refreshing.

I'm sold on trying more beers in the JP line now. I had been wary of them before because of the funk/sour descriptions, but if this is indicative of the taste, I'd like some more please.

10-02-2006 15:43:46 | More by Onibubba
RBorsato

2.5/5  rDev -35.7%

Tasted bottle on 9/25/06 at Tria Cafe in Philadelphia, PA.

White-ish colored with a huge white head and overcarbonated resulting in multiple pours. A funky oaky and tart aroma and flavor. The coriander and orange peel don't get a chance to shine in this one. Very light bodied and airy due to carbonation but refreshing enough I guess.

Not quite what I think of when I think of a wit... save your $.

Per Label: 4.8% ABV. "Wit Aged in Large Oak Casks" & "Orange Peel and Coriander"

($6.50 / 12 oz. bottle)

09-28-2006 21:02:03 | More by RBorsato
Zorro

3.08/5  rDev -20.8%

Had a hard time pouring this one as it has a ferociously active head formation VERY foamy. In the glass I have a cloudy pale yellow colored beer with a very tall puffy white head.

Smell is coriander and spicy with a strongly herbal aroma. There are also lots of flower aroma here in addition to the sweetness. There is also a rather strong lemon scent.

Taste is strongly sour in the first taste. Lots of lemon flavor and sourness to the point that this tastes more like Berliner Weisse than Witbier. After you acclimate to the sourness you can taste a lot of wheat in the beer along with a shot of coriander. Still the sourness level here is too much. I could rate this higher if it was labeled a Berliner Weisse.

Mouthfeel is over carbonated.

This definitely not one of my favorite Witbiers. Just too damn sour like lemonade with no sugar in it.

09-24-2006 23:04:25 | More by Zorro
rayjay

Hawaii

4.38/5  rDev +12.6%

My second beer from this brewery, and I'm liking them more and more. Purchased at Beaumont Market in Portland. Unfortunately, there is no dating on the bottle.

Light and hazy, with active carbonation but no head. Lots of funk on the nose, but the enjoyable kind.

The taste reminds me of Berliner Weiss with lots of residual tartness. The body is definately closest to a Belgian Wit. Very drinkable. The sweetness is kept to a minimum, which may be my favorite part of this brewery. Finishes dry as a bone. Think tart honey water.

Send Jolly Pumpkin to CA!!!

09-23-2006 17:27:03 | More by rayjay
DarkerTheBetter

4.18/5  rDev +7.5%

This beer pours an ever so slightly foggy golden straw with an unholy number of bubbles clinging to the sides of my glass sustaining a huge foamy head. Fortunately, the carbonation backed off to more moderate proportions in a few minutes.

Smells of a huge mass of lemon with only a touch of doughy honey and creamy yeast behind it. There’s also a sweet cantaloupe here with a cranberry dry oak.

As a foundation, there is a very modest spicy triple-like yeast and a touch of rye and wheat. But on top of that is a huge but delicate lemon that isn’t all too sour. The sourness here fades to a cranberry dryness that continues to flow into a very nice sour oak. In the finish, the flavors meld together and then drift away.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and silky soft with a substantial swarm of CO2 pin-pricks.

This one was really impressive. I must say that at first the mammoth carbonation was really disappointing, but as it sat, it dissipated letting me have a more intimate experience with this beer.

09-10-2006 02:16:50 | More by DarkerTheBetter
AltBock

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

I got the little bitty 12 oz. bottle instead of the 750ml bottle. If you didn't know already, Calabaza Blanca means White Pumpkin in Spanish. Like all of the other Jolly Pumpkin labels, it's a work of art. This one has a (from what I can see) a beautiful woman with long golden hair wearing a silver dress on a balcony during a beautiful blue night looking out to the sea where a big old sailing boat is coming toward her. She has this motion of her body where this boat coming to port is carrying her lover from years past is coming home from a long and tireless voyage out on the sea. Or you might able to determine that by her body position that she is fearful that this boat is not carrying her lover, but a boat filled with murderous pirates ready to murder and pillage. Either way it's a very nice piece of work. To the left of the label is the Govt. warning and more Spanish saying "Proteja El Ambiente, No La Tire." Fellow BA Pepeton says that means Protect the Environment, Recycle this bottle, but instead of "No La Tire" they should have put something else. If you have any questions about that beermail him. Anyway, to the left of the label is a nice sized paragraph about the beer. This was also capped with a bright blue cap, you can't miss it. Don't bother to look for a date on the bottle because there isn't one. Another beer label you need to see for yourself first hand. Enough about the artwork, let me get to the beer.

Appearance: When poured into my favorite Pilsener glass, the beer was a hazy lemon yellow color with a massive head of white foam to it. I had to stop pouring the beer half way because it was rising really fast and not stopping. It almost overflowed at half glass. When I was waiting for it to settle, I took a little sip out of the bottle and even inside the bottle there was a massive head of foam. It had good retention leaving behind not as much lace as I would have expected and some white foamy rings around the glass.

Smell: The aroma was more sour lemons than anything. Besides the sour lemons there was also some coriander, different varieties of spices, malted wheat, and a touch of yeast toward the end, but that's expected of course. Pretty much an average Witbeir aroma.

Taste: The initial taste was that of tart citrus fruits (most notably the lemon of course). After that I got some malted wheat, a few cloves, a splash of orange, some spices, little yeast, and all of these flavors ended with a dry taste of malted wheat again. I know they barrel age their beers, but I couldn't taste any oak in this one.

Mouthfeel: It was light, crisp, and refreshing, but there was barely any aftertaste at all. After all of those flavors it was a bit disappointing. I was kind of expecting maybe just a slight aftertaste of yeast or spices, but there was nothing there.

Drinkability: If you like lemony tart Witbiers, then you'll love this beer. I could probably see myself trying this one again. A beer that is worthy of the artwork on the front. :-) Another beer that I was glad to try from a great brewery.

08-31-2006 01:59:56 | More by AltBock
tgbljb

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured a hazy peach color with a massive white chunky head that threatened to (and did escape) from the top of the glass. Beautiful lacing. Smell is mmainly of bananas and lemon. Initial smell was extremely citrusy and tart, but slowly settled to be extremely pleasant. Taste is a delightful mixture of bananas, cloves, and tart lemon. Very well balanced between the three taste sensations, with each taking its turn to dominate. Great drinking beer. Good one to have on the deck on a hot summer afternoon. My first beer from this brewery, and hopefully not my last.

08-21-2006 23:56:01 | More by tgbljb
tonistruth

Nevada

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

A- cloudy, very pale yellow color, big fluffy, frothy white head with good retent, settles to ring, lacing, floating yeast.

S- orange peel, coriander, wheat malts, lemon, spice scents

T- you can taste all you smell (orange peel, coriander, wheat, lemon). Very refreshing. Bold taste that is pretty tart, sweetness increases as warms.

M- dry, crisp, good body, great carbonation.

D- light and tasty. This is one witbier i could drink anytime. I couldn't pick up any flavors from the barrel aging, but i'm not complaining. Not overly sweet like some wit's. I'l be looking for this again.

08-21-2006 05:54:32 | More by tonistruth
andjusticeforale

Connecticut

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

This was a big pale yellow beer with a choppy head of froth.

On the bottle is says enjoy the tartness of sweet orange peel and the dry finish. That sums it up.

Upon your first sip you are thinking Is this Italian Lemon soda? Bitter orange? There is salt and coriander as you try to drink it through the head. But man this is a tart witbeer. This is almost flanders sour red ale tart. But, as they promise, the finish stops on a dime! It halts with a bready malty dryness, Closing off the flavor and making yoyu think.. Did I ever taste that citrus fruit. Next sip lets you know- you sure did.

Surely a fantastic take on a witbeer; half lemon soda, half hefe-weizen.

08-15-2006 12:35:20 | More by andjusticeforale
GCBrewingCo

4.18/5  rDev +7.5%

The beer poured into the chalice crystal clear pale golden with a white frothy and tall head which was moussy and fell slowly to coat the glass.

The aroma was light oak with a citrus presence. Spices were present as well, but were well melded and blended so as to add more complexity than any particular spice presence. The spices that could be discerned were more pepper with a side of coriander.

The flavor was crisp and light with a roundness of wheat in the flavor and a light tartness. The flavor blossomed on the palate with light citrus and a low pepper character. The wheat and citrus worked well together to create and interesting brew. Also present was a lightly woodsy nature.

The finish was dry with a lasting bit of citrus and wheat into the aftertaste and then fading into a light bit of spice. The body was medium light with a fairly high carbonation level which coupled with the wheat led to a nice mouthfeel. A very nice Belgian witbier!

750 ml bottle.

08-11-2006 22:56:26 | More by GCBrewingCo
unklesyd

Oregon

3.23/5  rDev -17%

I'd had the Oro from JP and loved it, and when I found this in a 12 oz. bottle I was stoked. When the beer poured, I was stoked. Beautiful white pour into a tall, Duvel sized head atop a hazy straw body. A nice whif of grains and earthy corriander as it poured quickly faded and was no more. Unfortunate, as it was a great smell and did not ever reassert itself.

Interesting taste, but overly tart and sour. Tastes like a very full Berliner Weiss and less like an actual wit. The barrel aging must have gone on a little long. Certainly very crisp, but too much so: it really took over much of the other discernable spicy flavors.

No thanks.

08-07-2006 21:40:01 | More by unklesyd
MUSHROOMCLOUD

3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

A - Huge 3" rocky, dense white head with at least a 1/2" over the rim. Pale yellow with a slight haze. Very nice retention and some thick lacing.

S - Lemon peel, orange, pineapple -- lots of fruit - citrus and tropical. Herbal background.

T - Lemon. Light bitterness and peppery in the finish. Any barrel aging was not detected in trhe aroma or taste.

M - Light body. High carbonation. Clean, super dry finish.

D - Simple but with good drinkability. Thank you tp mlh1227 for the opportunity to try this cool beer!

08-04-2006 00:34:29 | More by MUSHROOMCLOUD
gdogalishus

3.38/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured from the bottle into a Ommegang goblet style glass.Poured a hazy bright yellow color with a subdued "whiteness" to it that was noticable on inspection. The head was white and fluffy, quickly disipated to a reasonable and robust lasting head.
The smell was sweet with a belgian background.. best part of the beer.
The flavor had a distinct bite to it right after the swallow. An odd flavor that I can't quite place, but definately apparent. Not the smooth flavor that I expect from a Witbier.
Mouthfeel was soft and easy to drink.

07-31-2006 17:43:14 | More by gdogalishus
Estarrio

3.53/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured an opaque golden color with a small thin frothy white head. Not much retention.

Subtle aroma; citrus floral. Light bodied, lots of carbonation.

Dry, sour grapefruit flavor, lightly spiced.

Very drinkable. Decent example of a Belgian White...not one of my favorite styles.

07-28-2006 01:32:17 | More by Estarrio
RonfromJersey

Dullish yellow gold body, loads of carbonation, topped by a towering column of snow white highly whipped dentable foam.

Very spicey nose, featuring a little light pepper, among others. Strong citrus notes also.

Taste has a light, almost airy start. Some wheat, light spice, pepper, oranges, and a tart finish. Refreshing.

Light mouthfeel, tingly.

Highly drinkable, like a good wit should be.

A fine example of the style.

07-15-2006 06:08:09 | More by RonfromJersey
Mitchster

3.33/5  rDev -14.4%

$1.79 for a 12oz bottle. I wonder how this compares to Oro de Calabaza. This pours out to a milky star golden, forming a creamy bone white head with amazing retention and lacing. This is a gorgeous looking beer. The aroma is of distant pale malts, dusty grain husk, lemon and a touch of cracker. Hops are barely discernable, but floral in nature. The mouthfeel is crisp and lightly tart with a clean finish and light body. The taste is very mild, starting with some lemon pith, followed by biscuity and grainy malt with some husken character, and followed by a moderate floral hop bitterness and sun dried hay grassiness. Coriander mixes in the middle. Had I not read it, I wouldn't have picked up that this is aged in oak casks or brewed with orange, as it has a distinctly different lemon character. The more I drink it, the tarter it becomes, taking on a "Corona with Lime" character.

This is the best beer I've had from Jolly Pumpkin which doesn't say much. As it stands on it's own, I'm still not compelled to buy this again with Hoegarrden, Celis White, and Holy Moses readily available. This is a much cleaner brew than those I've had before from J.P, which seem to suffer from being fermented much too warm.

07-12-2006 01:36:49 | More by Mitchster