La Roja - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

La RojaLa Roja

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.20% ABV

An artisan amber ale brewed in the Flanders tradition. Deep amber with earthy caramel, spice, and sour fruit notes developed through natural barrel aging. Unfiltered, unpasteurized and blended from barrels ranging in age from two to ten months.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2004)
View: Beers (36) |  Events

07-06-2012 20:52:41 | More by JohnG1975
JayS2629

Alabama

1.43/5  rDev -64.4%

I hope that my palate is just too unsophisticated to appreciate this well reviewed beer, because it was not pleasant in my opinion. I understand what it is supposed to taste like, and it is off the rails for my tastes.

A- Dark reddish brown with descent head that fades fast and leaves minimal lace.

S- Sour socks, vinegar, tart lemon, sour cherries, funk, grapefruit, with grassy hints.

T- Medicinal, super sour, vinegar with cherry cough syrup, grapefruits, funk, and mineal water.

M- I guess this is ok. Medium bodied, nice carbonation.

D- Horrible for my tastes. I understand its supposed to be sour, but this is horribly off tasting.

01-09-2011 01:09:21 | More by JayS2629
pwoods

1.45/5  rDev -63.9%

750ml brown bottle, purchased at Dilly Deli, poured into a flute.

A: Pours a deep ruby amber with lots of hazing. A huge fluffy head forms and won't go away, lol. Some patching lace from the head.

S: Lots and lots of sour brett. I thought I knew what I was getting into but now I'm kind of scared, lol. Some sweetness and cherries try to peek through.

T/M: Super tart and sour cherries. Brett is overpowering to me. I can't finish this. Lots of champagne like yeast. Body is light and carbonation is extremely high.

D: Nope, sorry. I don't think I should try any more Jolly Pumpkin for awhile. I will eventually, though.

02-25-2008 04:13:12 | More by pwoods
RomanW70

Rhode Island

1.48/5  rDev -63.2%

Seriously infected bottle. Pours reddish brown with little or no head. 10% fizzed out upon opening. Smells like a sour with minimal funkiness. Smells a little "off" Tastes a lot "off.' Very metallic taste, which, when combined with the sourness, comes close to putrid. Really watery with no carbonation. Drain pour. This bottle should never have been sold. I'll rerate when I get another bottle, but since this is the bottle I got, this is what I'll rate. Worst beer experience I've had in a long, long time.

04-12-2008 20:06:20 | More by RomanW70

1.75/5  rDev -56.5%

01-27-2014 02:08:54 | More by DomingoOrtiz
wheelinshirt

1.9/5  rDev -52.7%

Split a 750 mL bottle from Abe's in Bethlehem (for $7.50 I think) with a friend. Nice amber/brown color with some head that disappears pretty quickly, though this is quite understandable considering the funk. Everything seems good until I took my first whiff--all I got was sour milk. Taste is sour milk, alcohol and some nice malt but is very unpleasant overall. The carbonation is nice and highlights the light body of the beer. I was able to finish my glass but i can't in good conscience recommend this beer. I might try this beer again if somebody offers me a glass but I wouldn't buy it.

10-21-2007 01:10:21 | More by wheelinshirt
hopsbreath

Oregon

750ml bought from a local bottle shop for $11. Split into a pair of Duvel tulips and shared with TulipSnifter. Batch 5.

A: Couple fingers of soapy butterscotch head on top of a putrid mahogany body. Multiple blots of lacing. 4/5

S: Acetone (bleh), sweet vinegar, pie cherries. 2/5

T: Bleu cheese funk, except this ain't a good cheese. Putrid wood and rancid vegetables. 2/5

M: Thin, watery, and not good. 2/5

O: Not recommended. I'm not buying this again. 2/5

05-23-2011 09:43:37 | More by hopsbreath
ejw127

Nevada

12-04-2011 06:04:10 | More by ejw127
Mitchster

2.03/5  rDev -49.5%

750 ml bottle with a pirate cat wearing a red hat with french whiskers. Barrel aged and bottle conditioned. Pours to a murky medium brown, forming a modest light tan head with good retention and lacing. Aroma is kinda funky...cloves, alcohol, distant banana, and this wierd sulfury-leather-yeast-mold-booze thing going on..the funk is like wet, moldy pizza crust. Kinda off-putting at first. Mouthfeel is sharp, ruddy in the finish, and medium-bodied. Taste starts out with a whopping ton of cloves..lots of phenols, followed by some woody amber malts and mild herbal hops. In the middle moderate fusels and higher alcohols appear consistent with a poor ferment. The finish is ruddy like wet cardboard with notes of bourbon, window cleaner, and lots of warmth as it goes down the tube. Sherry like flavors muck it up as it warms.

There are just too many off-flavors here...the alcohol is too strong, the window cleaner fusels, the cardboard finish....tastes like a 70/30 mix between the god-awful Ommegang and the great Maudite. I was excited to try a new Belgian-Style brew from a Michigan brewery, but go ahead and pass this one up...it sucks ass.

11-30-2004 02:07:40 | More by Mitchster
digita7693

Germany

2.2/5  rDev -45.3%

I have really been looking forward to trying this beer, a moderately priced wild ale in a 22oz bottle. So when I finally saw it on a recent trip to Edinburgh I grabbed one.

A: Dark brown with a slight red hue, about 2inches of head that disappears and leaves minute lacing

S: i like sour, i like brett, but this seems to be over the top, and not in a good way. The sour cherries come through, but smells almost medicinal with wet, rotting wood

T: is similar to the smell, sort of what I imagine sucking on a piece of wet, moldy, rotted wood with some cherry cough syrup poured over it would taste like, but with just a bit of the cherries. mostly the rotted wood, moldy smell.
While the cherries are decent, they are overly light and taste off.

M/D: taste aside it sits comfortably in your mouth, but it is not something I need to drink more of. I got through about two 7-8oz pours and then gave up and drain poured the rest

maybe I had a bad bottle? Who knows. It was like a watered down Supplication with rotted wood and sweaty, musty sock juice poured in. no thanks

12-14-2010 12:05:29 | More by digita7693
Bung

2.33/5  rDev -42%

Cloudy orange pour, large lasting whitish head. Astringent fruit ester, yeasty aromas. Heavy sour fruit flavors. Almost overly carbonated in the mouth. Yeasty, improves slightly as it warms with some citrus and red fruits coming through, but it is overwhelmed by the sour to me. A wild ale, but just another typical belgian triple or double. Not my cup of tea.

11-24-2008 02:28:55 | More by Bung
Alkey

2.33/5  rDev -42%

I bought a 750ml bottle of this to share with some friends and fellow BA members but was busy the day of the event so a couple of weeks later I have decided to share it with myself. The appearance of this beer was very nice a dark red and orange color with lots of little tiny bubbles and a nice two fingers of head sitting on top that slowly dissipated. I breathed in the aroma and thought what a strange smell it was hard to notice anything but some sour fruit and alcohol. So I gave it a taste and thought is this stuff bad because I was told it was sour but this tasted like rotten apple cider. I wanted to be sure so as I continued drinking cautiously and noticed the lack of after taste and it wasn't making me sick. I kept thinking to myself I should have shared this with somebody more experienced with this style because I believed it to be an acquired taste.

11-16-2006 14:17:45 | More by Alkey
Goldorak

Quebec (Canada)

2.38/5  rDev -40.8%

Appearance: Sludge-tastic brown with plenty of chunks. If it didn't have that thick greyish head, It would have passed off as raw sewage. Serves me right for procrastinating and ending up with the tail end of the bottle.

Smell: A very progressive aroma that alternated yeasty bread, spice, alcohol vapors and caramel malt.

Taste: Just a round, enveloping rush of booze, not much hops or yeast that I was expecting. Mouthfeel was quick and acrid like a shot of vodka.

07-11-2005 22:58:41 | More by Goldorak
emsroth

2.48/5  rDev -38.3%

750 ml bottle

App: a great red orange but a cloudy body. Being a brewer I've come to appreciate clarity. Low carbonation so a small head but that us acceptable for the style.

Smell: a strong scent of sour, unripe fruit and acid. A strange touch of cinnamon. Occasional scent of alcohol.

Taste: an almost fall harvest taste throughout. Strong flavors of sour apples and cinnamon. A bit of hop dryness and lactic sourness in the finish, but the apple cinnamon dominates.

Mouthfeel: medium body with appropriately low carbonation.

Not a bad beer, I just can't get past the fake apple cinnamon taste.
I feel like I'm drinking my generic cold medicine or a harvest time snapple.

It's got interesting characteristics from the wood maturation.

03-17-2012 00:41:37 | More by emsroth

LampertLand

British Columbia (Canada)

2.53/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not sure why the liquor clerk had this with pumpkin ales but I gave one try and learned something , I'm not a fan of American Wild Ales , tasted more like a Barley Wine than an pumpkin ale , maybe that's what a Artisan Ale is ? Lesson learned maybe this will help someone in the future

Cheers LampertLand

01-17-2012 07:50:25 | More by LampertLand
Bighuge

2.53/5  rDev -37.1%

Dim scarlet red. Small beaded streams of carbonation rise very rapidly. The light tan head is fluffy and airy. Good retention is noted. Lacing is quite nice. Aroma is funky, sour, vinegar like and a little vegetal. Flavor is sour, vegetal, funky, tart, acidic, tannic and really not that appealing to me overall. Mouthfeel is quite carbonated. Fizzy feel to it. Airy and a bit gaseous. Light body. I'll pass.

05-19-2006 02:30:40 | More by Bighuge