La Roja - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

La RojaLa Roja

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.20% ABV

An artisan amber ale brewed in the Flanders tradition. Deep amber with earthy caramel, spice, and sour fruit notes developed through natural barrel aging. Unfiltered, unpasteurized and blended from barrels ranging in age from two to ten months.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2004)

LittleBrownBird, Jun 16, 2012

JohnG1975, Jul 06, 2012
1.28/5  rDev -68.1%

Hcj801, Sep 06, 2014
1.43/5  rDev -64.3%

I hope that my palate is just too unsophisticated to appreciate this well reviewed beer, because it was not pleasant in my opinion. I understand what it is supposed to taste like, and it is off the rails for my tastes.

A- Dark reddish brown with descent head that fades fast and leaves minimal lace.

S- Sour socks, vinegar, tart lemon, sour cherries, funk, grapefruit, with grassy hints.

T- Medicinal, super sour, vinegar with cherry cough syrup, grapefruits, funk, and mineal water.

M- I guess this is ok. Medium bodied, nice carbonation.

D- Horrible for my tastes. I understand its supposed to be sour, but this is horribly off tasting.

JayS2629, Jan 09, 2011
1.45/5  rDev -63.8%

750ml brown bottle, purchased at Dilly Deli, poured into a flute.

A: Pours a deep ruby amber with lots of hazing. A huge fluffy head forms and won't go away, lol. Some patching lace from the head.

S: Lots and lots of sour brett. I thought I knew what I was getting into but now I'm kind of scared, lol. Some sweetness and cherries try to peek through.

T/M: Super tart and sour cherries. Brett is overpowering to me. I can't finish this. Lots of champagne like yeast. Body is light and carbonation is extremely high.

D: Nope, sorry. I don't think I should try any more Jolly Pumpkin for awhile. I will eventually, though.

pwoods, Feb 25, 2008
1.48/5  rDev -63.1%

Seriously infected bottle. Pours reddish brown with little or no head. 10% fizzed out upon opening. Smells like a sour with minimal funkiness. Smells a little "off" Tastes a lot "off.' Very metallic taste, which, when combined with the sourness, comes close to putrid. Really watery with no carbonation. Drain pour. This bottle should never have been sold. I'll rerate when I get another bottle, but since this is the bottle I got, this is what I'll rate. Worst beer experience I've had in a long, long time.

RomanW70, Apr 12, 2008
1.5/5  rDev -62.6%

gracedchef, Jul 28, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -62.6%

LambClowder, Jan 20, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -56.4%

DomingoOrtiz, Jan 27, 2014
1.9/5  rDev -52.6%

Split a 750 mL bottle from Abe's in Bethlehem (for $7.50 I think) with a friend. Nice amber/brown color with some head that disappears pretty quickly, though this is quite understandable considering the funk. Everything seems good until I took my first whiff--all I got was sour milk. Taste is sour milk, alcohol and some nice malt but is very unpleasant overall. The carbonation is nice and highlights the light body of the beer. I was able to finish my glass but i can't in good conscience recommend this beer. I might try this beer again if somebody offers me a glass but I wouldn't buy it.

wheelinshirt, Oct 21, 2007

750ml bought from a local bottle shop for $11. Split into a pair of Duvel tulips and shared with TulipSnifter. Batch 5.

A: Couple fingers of soapy butterscotch head on top of a putrid mahogany body. Multiple blots of lacing. 4/5

S: Acetone (bleh), sweet vinegar, pie cherries. 2/5

T: Bleu cheese funk, except this ain't a good cheese. Putrid wood and rancid vegetables. 2/5

M: Thin, watery, and not good. 2/5

O: Not recommended. I'm not buying this again. 2/5

hopsbreath, May 23, 2011

caustin90, Jul 30, 2014

ejw127, Dec 04, 2011
2.03/5  rDev -49.4%

750 ml bottle with a pirate cat wearing a red hat with french whiskers. Barrel aged and bottle conditioned. Pours to a murky medium brown, forming a modest light tan head with good retention and lacing. Aroma is kinda funky...cloves, alcohol, distant banana, and this wierd sulfury-leather-yeast-mold-booze thing going on..the funk is like wet, moldy pizza crust. Kinda off-putting at first. Mouthfeel is sharp, ruddy in the finish, and medium-bodied. Taste starts out with a whopping ton of cloves..lots of phenols, followed by some woody amber malts and mild herbal hops. In the middle moderate fusels and higher alcohols appear consistent with a poor ferment. The finish is ruddy like wet cardboard with notes of bourbon, window cleaner, and lots of warmth as it goes down the tube. Sherry like flavors muck it up as it warms.

There are just too many off-flavors here...the alcohol is too strong, the window cleaner fusels, the cardboard finish....tastes like a 70/30 mix between the god-awful Ommegang and the great Maudite. I was excited to try a new Belgian-Style brew from a Michigan brewery, but go ahead and pass this one up...it sucks ass.

Mitchster, Nov 30, 2004
2.2/5  rDev -45.1%

I have really been looking forward to trying this beer, a moderately priced wild ale in a 22oz bottle. So when I finally saw it on a recent trip to Edinburgh I grabbed one.

A: Dark brown with a slight red hue, about 2inches of head that disappears and leaves minute lacing

S: i like sour, i like brett, but this seems to be over the top, and not in a good way. The sour cherries come through, but smells almost medicinal with wet, rotting wood

T: is similar to the smell, sort of what I imagine sucking on a piece of wet, moldy, rotted wood with some cherry cough syrup poured over it would taste like, but with just a bit of the cherries. mostly the rotted wood, moldy smell.
While the cherries are decent, they are overly light and taste off.

M/D: taste aside it sits comfortably in your mouth, but it is not something I need to drink more of. I got through about two 7-8oz pours and then gave up and drain poured the rest

maybe I had a bad bottle? Who knows. It was like a watered down Supplication with rotted wood and sweaty, musty sock juice poured in. no thanks

digita7693, Dec 14, 2010
2.33/5  rDev -41.9%

Cloudy orange pour, large lasting whitish head. Astringent fruit ester, yeasty aromas. Heavy sour fruit flavors. Almost overly carbonated in the mouth. Yeasty, improves slightly as it warms with some citrus and red fruits coming through, but it is overwhelmed by the sour to me. A wild ale, but just another typical belgian triple or double. Not my cup of tea.

Bung, Nov 24, 2008
2.33/5  rDev -41.9%

I bought a 750ml bottle of this to share with some friends and fellow BA members but was busy the day of the event so a couple of weeks later I have decided to share it with myself. The appearance of this beer was very nice a dark red and orange color with lots of little tiny bubbles and a nice two fingers of head sitting on top that slowly dissipated. I breathed in the aroma and thought what a strange smell it was hard to notice anything but some sour fruit and alcohol. So I gave it a taste and thought is this stuff bad because I was told it was sour but this tasted like rotten apple cider. I wanted to be sure so as I continued drinking cautiously and noticed the lack of after taste and it wasn't making me sick. I kept thinking to myself I should have shared this with somebody more experienced with this style because I believed it to be an acquired taste.

Alkey, Nov 16, 2006