La Roja - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

La RojaLa Roja

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2004

An artisan amber ale brewed in the Flanders tradition. Deep amber with earthy caramel, spice, and sour fruit notes developed through natural barrel aging. Unfiltered, unpasteurized and blended from barrels ranging in age from two to ten months.
Reviews: 778 | Hads: 1,899
3.63/5  rDev -8.8%

My sister sprung for this one in a Minneapolis bar. She paid $24.00 for the bottle; I can't say I support that decision but there were no other sours available and that's what she likes. Served into a generic tulip. Expectations were high. Reviewed from notes taken earlier this month. Blend 3 bottled 01-25-12. So I guess it had ten months age on it.

A: Pours a one finger beige colour head of nice cream and thickness and decent retention. Colour is a refined dark red (true to its moniker, I might add). No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Tart cherry, sour wild yeast, bacteria, clean malts, and hints of oak. A pretty strong aroma; subtle and evocative. I can't wait to try it.

T: Tart bright fruit (cherry, raspberry), clean yeasty notes (biscuit, maybe a hint of spice), clean indistinct formative pale and amber malts, bacteria, wild yeast, and acidic wine/grapeskin-esque notes. Well balanced and built, if slightly simplistic in comparison to other beers in the style. Nicely subtle and evocative. Pleasant to drink. I quite like it. Limited background oak.

Mf: Tingly coarseness from the tart bacterial notes - perhaps even a bit of manifested crystal malt. Good thickness and carbonation. Too smooth on the open and finish. Suits the flavours nicely.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable for the style. I quite dig it. I'd have it again, preferably aged and at a better price. A good sour, especially considering its country of origin. Could use a bit more rounded tartness. A lovely beer from Jolly Pumpkin.

B

*I had to play with the overall score to get the letter rating I wanted. This keeps my reviews fair and consistent. Please see my profile page for more information. (1,707 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My first Jolly Pumpkin, much anticipated, and great props are thrown to LuckySeven82 for providing. I nod at the wily pirate cat on the label, as I embark on my adventure...

Poured into a wide-mouthed La Trappe goblet, it's a distincitively cloudy crimson hue, adorned with a sturdy, long-play head of creamy amber foam.

Aroma? A heady mix of sour and yeast, wild and wooly, like the best of Belgians...a loud and lively nose, big and burly..puts me in mind of a more extroverted Maudite, maybe? Spicy, sour, yet sweet, and unearthly...I must admit, I like it...

Taste: hmmm...big carbonation, high alcohol, bold flavor, but doesn't quite reach what I feel it was going for, doesn't approach the promise of the aroma. I almost want to say "flat", but that would be wrong, just lacks in a forward, full flavor..misses something ethereal in the mix. Other than that disappointment, still quite nice.
And, I shy from seeming to strike at the knees of a new, starting, ambitious brewery, I recoil from calling this out as a failing.
It is tasty, it is a bright, fruity yeasty thing, and it is satisfying....but it's just missing something.
With enough encouragement, perhaps this little Michigan brewery could turn out something really great! (maybe it's waiting in my fridge with the 2 other JP beers in store for me?)
Cheers! (1,336 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -4.5%

From 01/07/12 notes. Thanks to whoever shared this one at the last DC RB tasting. Blend 2, from 3/18/10.

a - Pours a murky orange amber color with one finger of off white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of lightly sour fruits, light funk, brett, oak, earthy notes, and barnyard funk. Very nice, a nice mix of fruits and funk.

t - Tastes of fruity malts, lightly sour fruits, barnyard funk, oak, earthy notes, and musty notes.

m - Medium body and low carbonation.

o - Overall a nice beer. Not my favorite JP beer, but seems to have held up well. Some light sour fruits and that JP beer, would have it again. (630 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

Drinking this beer makes me wonder what the grand reserve is like, a lot.

Beer poured from a bottle into a tulip glass. Beer is red and hazy, forms a thin head that disappears slowly leaving no evidence that it was ever there.

Aroma is bretty, mildly acidic, and has this mild cherriness about it. It smells interesting but its odd overall. Too many different things.

This beer is better cold than at room temperature. Its quite bretty in the mouth, mild tartness, sourness is moderate. There is some sweetness to it up front but mostly this is a brett bomb. Overall its pretty good for a wild, i wouldn't really describe this beer as overly fruity or sour. If I want a sour made with cherries I think I'll go for a supplication. (732 characters)

Thanks to jcwattsrugger for sharing!

Pours orangeish amber with an off-white head. Some lacing sticks.

The smell is of a vinegar-y sour with cherries and some bready notes. Smells reminiscent of a tart/sour cherry pie.

The taste is of tart cherries with some caramel. Sour with a touch of sweetness. Some vanilla/oak comes through. Finishes dry.

Nice on its own - unique - but really shines with cream cheese covered with cherries. (435 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

750 ml bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 4/8/2013. Pours slightly hazy/cloudy deep reddish copper color with a 1-2 finger dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of tart cherry, cranberry, lemon zest, green apple, plum, raisin, red grape, caramel, leather, vinegar, hay, straw, grass, oak, clove, musty funk, and yeast earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of fruity/funky yeast, oak, and moderate malt sweetness; with great strength. Taste of big tart cherry, cranberry, green apple, lemon zest, plum, raisin, red grape, caramel, leather, vinegar, hay, straw, grass, oak, clove, musty funk, and yeast/oak earthiness. Good amount of fruity/earthy tartness on the finish; with lingering notes of tart cherry, cranberry, green apple, lemon zest, plum, raisin, red grape, caramel, leather, vinegar, hay, straw, grass, oak, clove, musty funk, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a while. Fantastic complexity and balance of tart/fruity/funky yeast, oak, and dark malt flavors; with a great sweetness/tartness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth and moderately slick/acidic mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is well hidden with only a slight warming present after the finish. Overall this is an awesome sour red ale. All around great complexity and balance of tart/fruity/funky yeast, oak, and dark malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to sip on with the balanced acidity. A highly enjoyable offering. (1,640 characters)

Served in a bottle at DBGB Kitchen & Bar in New York, NY

A: Pours a lightly hazy dark amber to garnet red in color. The beer has a half finger tall off-white head that reduces to a thin ring at the edges. No lacing is observed.

S: This beer definitely has some light vinous notes along with the aromas of sour cherries, tartness, light sourness, and just a hint of mustiness.

T: The tartness of the sour cherries definitely comes through in the taste as well as some light vinous sourness. There is a hint of mustiness and a very light bitterness in the finish. Very nice balance and complexity.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation.

O: I really enjoy this beer and it pairs so well with pork. I really like the tartness and the light sourness, making this beer very enjoyable to drink and certainly one that I could enjoy multiple glasses over a meal. I need to pick some more of this one up at some point soon. (966 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +6%

The beer pours a cloudy amber color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great! It smells of pale and crystal malts along with lambic bacteria. It's sour with a slight oak barrel aroma; very nice. The taste is great as well. It has a smooth bisquity amber flavor that goes down easy and finishes sour and earthy with some oakey notes. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium/full bodied beer with adequate/good carbonation. This is a good drinking beer; probably the best that I've had from these guys. I have to say that this is a Flanders red ale (says so on the bottle). I don't know who declared the style for this one. (660 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

This was a slightly older bottle as it has the older label.

Poured into a snifter.

Pours 1 finger of beige head. Very nice retention leaving a lot of splattered lace. Color is a hazed copper ruby.

Aroma: Nice and funky. Some sour tart notes. Cherries, oak, caramel, and a few spice note4s. Some horse blanket. This beer is very mouth watering.

Taste: not as sour as I was expecting it to be, based on the aroma. A lot more malts here, caramel. Then the spices come in. It has nice oak and cherry flavors. This beer is doing fine.

Mouthfeel: A little sour, but fairly smooth. Medium bodied with a nice amount of carbonation. Ends slightly dry, but relatively clean.

Overall, this beer is holding up great. Nice sour cherry flavors and a good amount of oak shows through. I enjoyed it a lot. Pretty drinkable. (813 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks to Shane for hooking me up with this bottle. Review from notes.

A: Pours a cloudy amber with a large 2 finger head on top, white in color. The head stuck around for a few minutes then slowly dissipated to a thin layer on top. Nice lacing down the sides.

S: Nice sour/tartness up front. Deep sour cherries and other light fruits. Light oak and just a little bit of funk, but the sour cherry dominates.

T: Light but plenty flavorful. A little bit of sour cherry, some apple, peach, and apricot. The sour bite increases a bit as it warms. A slight hint of wood from the aging.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with a good level of carbonation that lets it drink very smooth.

O: Was very happy with this beer. Not overly sour/tart and had a really nice fruit flavor to it. Look forward to getting this one again for sure. (841 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

Transcribing my notes from my review on my website to here, after this beer coming up in a discussion this weekend. From a 750 ml bottle:

A - Cloudy, rustic burgundy body with a creamy & bubbly tan head.

S - Sour fruity notes: Granny Smith apple and sweet caramel malt. Spiced clove and crushed garlic, also.

T - Sweet and sour cherry, gooseberry, woody oak notes in the linger. Finishes dry and tart.

M - Perfect amount of carbonation (on the lower end) giving this a medium body, great for a Wild Ale.

As one of my first "sour" beers, this is a great place to start. It's not nearly as acidic or lactic as other sours on the market, it's tame but approachable - justifiable so a wonderful introduction to the style. (722 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

01/21/07- Purchased at Ledgers Liquors in Berkeley, CA.

Presentation- 750ml bottle. Capped, but not corked. Wonderful artwork as usual on the label from JP. No freshness info found. Poured into my Duchesse goblet.

Apperance- Burnt orange or rust colored pour. 1/2 inch fairly creamy looking head. Half of which remains for the intirety. Nice streaks and patches of lace.

Smell- That lovely flanders scent. Pungent and sour cherry-raspberry nose with oaky aspects. A nice whiff of barnyard as well.

Taste- Perfect sourness backed by a significant level of malt. Lovely fresh fermented fruit taste. Heavy berry flavors (cherry, raspberry, loganberry).

Mouthfeel- Oaky and sour aftertaste with a nice carbonation level.

Drinkabiltiy- Combo of a Goudenband and Duchesse. More malty than either though. Best american flanders I have had to date. Worth the $11.50 I dropped on it. (892 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +11.1%

Bottle shared by jayhawk73. Thanks Jeff!

Blend 12
Bottled 7-11-2011

The beer appears dark ruby hued with a half inch of tan head that leaves some nice lacing on the snifter. The aroma brings funk, wild yeast, oak, cherries, assorted fruit. Really nice flavor. Complex, sour, delicious. I am a happy guy. I have had this a few times now. While this is not necessarily a great introduction to the style (though Jeff may disagree), due to the brash complexity and unorthodox nature of the beer, I highly recommend this. Sour cherries, with a healthy sour, lactic presence. The beer in some regards reminds me of Russian River Consecration, which is a very good thing. Ya man, this beer is good stuff. Recommended. (712 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This started with a frothy, deep-tan head that quickly dissipated. The color was a lightly-cloudy deep red. The nose had notes of coconut, must, and white wine. The mouthfeel was rather thin, but really effervescent and palate cleansing. The taste was vinous, dry, and slightly brett-driven. The finish was likewise dry. This was a pretty good offering from one of my favorite brewers, but not destined to be a top favorite of mine. (432 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

Sampled lightly chilled, December 2004
Pours a hazy amber color, and is topped by a frothy full tan head. As I pour I get hints of apricot, orange, dust, and musty wood. Interesting enough to go in for a deeper contemplative smell. Hmm, this one smells wild and musty, almost has the aroma of a beer that has been in a corked bottle for a while, though this hasn't. I get fleeting spicy notes that are perhaps reminiscent of grains of paradise, ginger, clove, which then moves into malty notes mixed with musty wood notes. Quite an interesting mix of aromas, I am not quite to sure if the taste is going to be good or bad, it depends on which notes come through the most.

Ok, the taste, it is soft and lightly sweet up front, and then moves to a tangy, orange-like middle, then finishes with some astringency. Definitely an interesting beer. This beer is rich with a healthy dose of malt notes that are full of caramel, biscuits, and crusty French bread. The malt mixes with spicy notes of pepper, ginger, clove, and orange peel. There is a musty tartness to this beer that, though not overwhelming, certainly contributes to this beer. This beer finishes with a slightly hot, astringent finish that I am not quite able to pinpoint.

Ultimately, I think that this beer is a little out of wack, it is sort of in the gray zone between conventionally fermented single yeast strain fermented beers, infected beers, and beers that are fermented purposefully with wild, yet house derived character. This beer needs to decide which way it wants to go, and I would certainly be in favor of it going fully funky, if it can be kept in balance. Right now it is certainly interesting, certainly drinkable, and even enjoyable, but it seems a bit muddled by various competing fermentation by products. I could see a bottle of this beer being laid down for a year or two and becoming quite stellar, if not intriguingly different. While I am being quite critical here, this is a beer that I am quite enjoying, and I will look forward to procuring some more bottles of this beer. Cheers to Jolly Pumpkin for pushing the boundaries in the middle of America, and cheers to my personal Santa who delivered this treat to my doorstep. (2,217 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -11.3%

750ml bottle purchased in NY some time ago. Not sure what I wanted to drink tonight so I reached for this. Poured into a Chimay goblet twice.

A- Popping the cap I let the bottle sit for some time before returning to foam seeping from the bottle. La Roja poured out a nice bronze to bright orange color. Some spots of red in places. A nice 1/2 inch off white to beige head stayed around forever. One of the better heads i've seen on a barrel aged brew. spotty lacing.

S- A very prominent smell coming from this AWA/BDG mixed style. Sour cherries up front with a nice amount of oak from the barrel. Getting some apples also with berries. I'm sure there is malt in here but i can't smell it. A nice sourness is in the nose but does not overpower leaving just a bit of brett in the nose. A bit of belgian yeat perhaps.

T- I'm really on the fence with La Roja's taste, while it delivers it leaves something to be desired. Perhaps that this is "brewed in the biere de garde style", maybe the mix of styles does not mesh well with me. Either way I get a lot of sour cherries while not being all to sour. I really enjoy the oak presense with vanilla to boot from the barrel. While the malts are not in smell some toasted malt arises with the temperature. Finishes with some spices and sweetness. Could be a bit more balanced. A good mix of sweet & sour.

M- La Roja has a nice medium body bordering on thin while having a bunch of carbonation, perhaps a bit to much. First sips a whole lot of action going on around the tounge. This fades as the beer warms to higher temperatures. I've had many sour ales and this is not as tart as expected. This gave off some puckering in the beginning but that faded. A slight bit of alcohol in the tail end. I actually liked this better cold.

D- On the fence with the drinkability as well. I've had this before plenty of times and sometimes it's god awful while other times it has been a experience, I guess it really depends on the batch you get. Good thing this was a good experience. Not my favorite sour but i'll take what I can get here on the east coast. Anyways 7.2 is not to high in alcohol so that's not a biggie.

Give this a try if you see it around and are looking for something different. Good stuff out of dexter michigan. (2,270 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance: pours a cloudy amber color with thin 1/2" head that immediately drops to a surface foam. No lacing develops.

Smell: caramels and ripe fruits.

Taste: caramel, ripe plums, hints of vanilla, mild bitterness, yeast, and a light sourness all wrapped in an earthy tone. Very differnent and interesting.

Mouthfeel: crisp at the start and finish. The aftertaste is short with the the caramel and fruits. Medium in body.

Drinkability: nicely drinkable, even though it is a bit on the funky side. Definitely worth a look. (535 characters)

3.98/5  rDev 0%

750 mL bottle, Blend 11 - 2009,

A: Pours burgundy with a light white head, great colour.

S: Caramel, lemons, and horse blanket/Brett.

T: Light malt flavour, but the taste is dominated by the acidity. Lots of acetic/Flemish Red type flavours, lemon, orange peel and copper as well.

M: Moderately acidic, light carbonation, soft to palate compared with most sour beers.

D: Good flavours and not overly super expensive in this style, what's not to like. (455 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Large brown bottle, capped, w/o freshness info, pours medium brown, semi clear, with bubbles rising, under a looong lasting tan head, that falls to a 1/16 of an inch film (thick) and leaves heaps of thick lacing...malty, musty, earthy dense and complex nose...notes here of sour (some brett?), more earthyness, dark fruits, funk, smoke/wood, mustyness...complex, tasty brew. The yeasty, murky final bottle drain pour add plenty of sediment and more funk....bring on some stinky cheese, crusty bread, BBQ...yum, nicely crafted brew, well worth seeking out a fresh and tasty sample of this nectar (594 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my lost Abbey stemware. Poured brown in color with a frothy off white head taking up the top 1/2 inch of the glass. The head had some decent retention and left some great lacing as I drank it.

The aroma has a very nice mix of sweet, fruity, malty flavors and a tart, funky, sour flavor. It has a lot of sweet and sour cherry flavor coming through in the nose as well as some grape and apple cidery flavors. Very complex and appealing aroma to it overall.

The taste is a little more moderate in the sourness then what was in the nose. It has more of a tart fruitiness to it with a moderate sourness coming through more in the finish. Some apple, grape and cherry flavors all come through in the fruitiness. Some caramel and malty flavors help give the beer a nice base.

The mouthfeel is a little above medium bodied and carbonation is also above average. Drinkability is pretty good, it had a lot of great flavors to it. It was pretty well balanced between the tart and sour flavors and the sweet fruity flavors which definitely helped the drinkability. Very good beer overall. (1,111 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +6.3%

750 mL bottle, Blend #8 - 2007, bottled on 8/14/07 according to the JP web page. Chilled this in the fridge before opening. Slowly began to gush upon opening but quickly poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Cloudy amber, copper, orange color with a small amount of sediment despite careful pour. Glass stimulates a steady stream of carbonation. Heads begins off massive, off-white beige and then slowly begins to fade away, but never completely. Leaves behind a thick, sticky ring of lacing.
S: Sour and funky above all else. Balance of earthiness and sour apple and other ripe fruit. Background has slight woody character and Belgian-y yeast aroma, slightly spicy, but the sour and funk dominate. I like it, but not great.
T: A simple summary of this for me is big flavor with little balance. Fortunately I like the flavors involved and the strong sour, earthiness. Each sip reveals a new flavor, alternating between strong earthy sourness and woody, alcohol sweetness. Typically upfront is the dirty, earthy flavors, orange rind, slightly spicy, etc. Finish turns a little sweeter, more caramel, vanilla like sweetness.
M: Strong carbonation provides a silky smooth body to balance the tart and sour flavors, but overall body is lighter side of medium. Little alcohol presence.
D: This beer bounces all over the place as you finish the bottle and I enjoy that. Reminds me at times of Flanders Red, Saisons, Biere de Garde, etc. Lacking the sweetness expected from a Flanders Red, I really enjoy this, especially at its price and availability. (1,539 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass.

Deep red, with a bit of burnt rust color to it, but fairly bright for it's dark appearance. Opaque, with very slow crawling fine bubbles rising. Minimal head creation with a faint tan color, leaving a thin collar on the glass.

Wonderful bouquet on this brew. A great mix of balanced sweet caramel and tangy sour red fruit. Senses like a bowl of sour cherries, and sweet malts. Definitely getting a Flanders like vibe from this for an American brewery for me is kind of rare and very impressive. Sweet taffy throws itself in the mix too. Real nice.

Palate comes off a little more than disappointing. Light malted body and slightly wet, with not a lot of hint of barrel aging character. Some good sweet mix of cherry/raspberry like tones in the mid palate, with a nice controlled finish. Aftertaste comes off more light and hinting towards a summer light brew, which is impressive since this rolls in at a much higher undetectable abv. Slightly flat carbonation, but not giving to the caramel sweetness on the palate. Some mild pepper finish seems to give a bit of menthol heat too.

Overall an ok wild, but feels more like a summer quencher quick thrower, than a malty classic oak wonder. (1,245 characters)

Jolly Pumpkin : La Roja

Pours an amber color, off white head and some lace formations on the glass. Aroma is sweet, sour, and slightly fruity. In the taste, nice and bitterly sour with some berry fruity notes. Wine like, oaky, some woodsy tannins and tart the whole way through. Wine like in its alcohol strength too, a little tart with a burn. Semi dry, medium to light bodied brew. Overall, a really nice treat. Sour, fruity, light spice and very oaky. A fine candidate for cellaring. (487 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -18.6%

Magnum bottle from my local store (Wayne's Liquor), on to the beer:

Sticky head retention on top of this deep colored amber beer. Put it under bright light and it looks magnificent in my flute! The aroma is a little sweet and tart. I can smell a little oak and light sour characterists of a Franders Red. Tastes very much like a Flanders Red as well, but a bit one-dimensional in my view. The flavor is sour and very acidic with little regard for anything else. The acidicness in this beer burns your chest for a brief moment after it's swallowed. Pickle juice and tartness flavors are subtle.

The dangerous level of acidicity in this brew makes this hard on your chest and mediocre tasting. But at least it's amazing to look at! (732 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

Split a bottle with a friend. Some sours can pack so much tangy punch, it can be hard to split a 750ml bottle, but this had nice, slightly restrained character. The opening earthy barnyard character is subtle and not so overpowering like an old, stinky gueuze. It's followed by tart lemon and sour cherries. It doesn't come off as the most complex sour, though maybe a year or two in a cellar would change that. but it's pleasantly sour while remaining relatively drinkable and I appreciate that. (496 characters)

La Roja from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales