Luciérnaga, The Firefly - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

June

(Beer added by: putnam on 10-28-2004)

girllovesbier, Nov 27, 2011

ElGallo, Nov 15, 2011

bs870621345, Dec 16, 2011

jongullotti, Apr 21, 2012

MeatnCheese, Nov 22, 2011

What is this? A perfect score? The answer is yes. This stuff was Divine. (Note the capital D)

Due to illness this past weekend, we celebrated Easter with family tonight. I brought this bottle along and I am glad I did. It complimented everything I ate - the salty ham, scalloped potatoes, bean cassarole and especially the strawberry pie.

I poured into a tall wine glass and the fluffy head retention was amazing. Almost like a sweet gummy cotton candy. The smell was very rich and I made it a point to take a big 'ol whiff before every sip. What did it smell like? Shit if I know. I didn't compare it to anything, I just enjoyed it everytime it hit my schnaz.

The taste was also sweet, but in a dry, fruity fashion. The bottle says it was spiced with coriander and grains of paradise. I didn't detect as much coriander as it usually ruins it for me, so it must've been the grains that I enjoyed most.

Color was of burnt umber. . . not that it matters. This was one delicious brew. I could easily drink it all the time, IF I had the Hamilton's for it.

BitterBrian, Apr 13, 2007
4.97/5  rDev +23%

A - Poured into a Leffe goblet, The Firefly shows plenty of soft-looking carbonation and a hazed golden body. Also, I should add that while I am not rating for bottle label art, this is one of the coolest labels I've ever seen.

S - Spicy and floral, orange blossom and wildflowers. Some light white peach. It has a crisp, fresh aroma. Wow, some amazing fragrant rosewater as it warms.

T - One sip, and you can tell this is Jolly Pumpkin. Yet, it isn't the typical Jolly Pumpkin Brett bomb. While obviously a Brett beer, it seems that the barrel aging, spicing, and relatively aggressive hopping of this beer have combined to make this a really tight beer. Indeed, I don't find any loose ends dangling here. What hits the palate first is a wave of game-y bitterness, slightly soured leather with some push-back from the floral, grassy hops and a sense of orange peel and white peach. Peppery in the middle, with the grains of paradise, yet I suspect this would have come off as a peppery beer even if it had not been spiced. Very, very dry. A little musty barrel quality, but again, this isn't coming off as a big funky wild yeast-and-barrels affair. It's more elegant and pulled together than that, closer to the tight craft you expect from Orval than from a bugged-out American Wild Ale.

F - One area in which I've found Jolly Pumpkin to be inconsistent is with the carbonation. I've had some bad bottles from them that were flat. Others have been over-carbonated. Not this one though, this one is just right. While well-carbonated, it is entirely appropriate; it doesn't go overboard. I don't have to swirl the glass madly to get rid of some of the carbonation so I can taste the beer. It is very well carbonated, but it's *soft* carbonation.

D - Well, let's see. It's bone-dry. Complex and interesting. Manageable 6.5% ABV. High flavor-to-ABV ratio. Would pair well with a wide variety of foods. I'd say that adds up to a real winner. I was expecting a lot from this, and it didn't let me down. This sits with E.S.Bam as one of my favorite Jolly Pumpkins.

Patrick999, Dec 06, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +22%

No question about it, this beer stole the show at last night's tasting, even over the Dark Lord! Very fine beer. My favorite from Jolly Pumpkin to date, and an instant favorite. I would love to have more of this, but unfortunately it was acquired from out of state.

The beer looks good enough. Nice and light pale golden color with a light haze and a creamy white head. Nice active carbonation. Lacing is fluffy.

The smell is quite exceptional. The coriander goes perfect with the flowery hops and other spices, as well as the infectious yeast flavors/aromas. The taste is just as good, if not better. Starts off with a nice sharp citrusy tart flavor, fading into a flowery hop flavor, and finishing bone dry with a funky saison-like finish of barnyard must. Very smooth. Not sour or acidic at all. Everything works perfectly together to create this magnificent brew. I love Jolly Pumpkin, but most of all, I love this beer in particular.

neonbrown82, Oct 24, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +21.3%

Omigod Ommegang! This reminds me of the Three Philosophers but with an elevated alcohol content and spice feelers I soon forget about that unfortunate wine-beer and direct myself towards the spiritual. Of ascending church steeples and descending bodies in genuflecting waves going up-down up-down. Some bedraggled saint has his face pressed against the stain glass crying knowing that the earth will never suffer as it has sewn. And so being a lit fool is said to be the worst way to review a beer but I disagree. As one should write as close to unconsciousness as is possible to write in a dream-state so should he think about spirits. Ghosts and yeasty succulence flitter away. So comes bliss.

thelagerheads, Aug 11, 2006
4.88/5  rDev +20.8%

It's nice to see a 750 with a cap instead of a cork.
Wow, pours frothy, then simmers to the color of dried orange peels...
"We interrupt this description to bring you the aroma of perfume!"
God that smells sweet, floral, herbal, minerally.
This is juicy unlike any beer I've ever tasted. The froth has literally transformed itself into a white top hat. This ambrosia turns and turns on the palate with sweetness, herbal essences, bitterness, floral water, strained grapefruit juice. Unbelievable. Tangerine. A bit of chardonnay, and oak. I'd call this intense, but it's so lite. It washes over my mouth like ocean waves on a white beach; gently coloring my palate with insane softness, and depth. Fine carbonation, sweet and tangy with perfect herbal bitterness. It opens like a flower releasing more botannical aromas with each sip. This is what makes beer appreciation so worthwhile. This is just a damn fine drink with every quality you could want in your refreshment. wow

gbontrag, May 25, 2006
4.85/5  rDev +20%

Bottle (courtesy of Sammy): Poured a dirty yellow color ale with a huge white foamy head with perfect retention. Aroma of floral malt with a good dose of Brett is exquisite. Taste is almost perfect with a great mix between floral malt, oak and a well balance presence of sourness and tart. The spices that are mentioned on the label (Coriander and grain of paradise) are very subtle and could hardly be tasted though. This is probably the closest thing to Orval that I’ve had the chance to drink. I do wonder when going through some of the other ratings and the description on the label if the Brett and the sourness were intended or not but in any case I am not complaining because this was a great beer experience.

Phyl21ca, May 19, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +19.6%

A-Pours rusty, hazy orange with a huge rocky head. Reduces slowly, leaving a big cap of foam and a zigzag pattern of sticky lacing.

S-Super funky with aromas of new American oak, grassy hops and grapefruit/tangerine skins. Mouth watering.

T/M-Everything promised in the nose is delivereed in the flavor profile. Funky, earthy brettanomyces and washed rind cheesiness, reminiscent of Cowgirl Creamery's Red Hawk. Hops are alternately earthy and grassy, and meld beautifully with the slick yeasty finish and vibrant, chewy carbonation.

O-One of the best wild ales I've had. Nearly perfect.

DaveHS, May 07, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +18.8%

750ml bottle in good exterior condition poured into a Duvel tulip glass. Capped champaign bottle, no cork. Bottle gushed on opening, as did another Jolly Pumpkin reviewed a few days ago. Carbonation is high but not really excessively so, I think the problem is related to the heavy lees in both bottles, lots of nucleation points.

Poured with a huge light tan head that settled down to a fine foam on top of larger bubbles, very nice.

Very nice aroma with hints of both coriander and grains of paradise (both stated on the label) in a very nice balance with the malt and the yeast notes. This is a type of balance I've only experienced previously with Belgian examples. There is a definite Brett bite in the nose, will it be in the flavor, I am salivating.

Well the gush is now explained, there is definite Brett in the flavor. Explosive carbonation blasts the beer into a foam that coats the palate. There is a full range of flavors to experience as the foam dies back. First there is the flavor of Brett, lactic acid, then citrus notes mostly orange and lime. As the citrus notes fade the bitter becomes forward with a character very similar to bitter orange as used in Wit beer.

The finish is short leaving a spicey bitter to remain, and some sweetness too. A sip finishes quickly; demanding you return to the glass quickly for another. And you obey.

This is truly a great beer, the Brett is really nice, there are cellared flavors here that I though only could be produce in Belgium. I'll be looking for this beer again and will try to stock up on it. I want it with a dinner, duck, steak, anything oily where I want an acidic beer to cut the fat.

If you find this beer buy it, hell, buy at least two, I wish I had.

goldenpeanut, Feb 03, 2008