Luciérnaga, The Firefly - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

June

(Beer added by: putnam on 10-28-2004)
View: Beers (40) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
vette2006c5r

South Dakota

1.79/5  rDev -55.7%

The Firefly pours a hazy amber color with a huge lacing and fluffy head. There is a strong spicy aroma with strong hints of Belgian Candies. Taste is the same strong, lots of spices, and lots of Belgian candy flavors but a mess with the sweetness, way way way too sweet. Nice carbonation, good body, but so sweet. Overall I found it one of the worst beers I have ever consumed (or tried to consumed for that matter). I am rather convinced I must have picked up a bad bottle.

08-08-2013 03:09:22 | More by vette2006c5r

shbobdb

Indiana

2.28/5  rDev -43.6%

Eeeewww.

Not a very good beer, not a very good beer at all. I'm OK with using funky microorganisms, but I draw the line at awkward uses of spice and this beer has a lot of it.

The Belgians learned long ago that, aside from fruit, it was very difficult to find anything that would compliment bugs. Sure, there are breweries like De Proef that are breaking that mold . . .

But I know De Proef. De Proef is a friend of mine, and you Jolly Pumpkin, are no De Proef.

The beer starts with a blast of corriander, which is gross. And is followed by muted golden ale tastes (a little bit of grain, a little bit of yeast esters, but nothing too out-of-the-ordinary), followed by the unholy union of 'spicy pepper' and 'vinegar'.

I'm all for micororganisms, but that much acetobacter can only mean a poorly managed brewhouse. Come on JP, I know you want to be traditional, but letting acetobacter get out of control *isn't* traditional, it is a product of American X-TREME beer lovers . . . that's what this beer is. It is X-TREME BUGS!!!

I'll take a well crafted lambic, or anything from De Proef, thank-you-very-much.

02-03-2007 20:14:25 | More by shbobdb
Bighuge

2.48/5  rDev -38.6%

Appearance: Dirty looking auburn. Murky and cloudy. Thick crop of, you guessed it, dirty white head.

Aroma: Musky, earthy, dank, wet and murky. Like a cellar that never sees the light of day. Some spices noted in the background.

Taste: Grundgy, earthy, and you guessed it....dirty. This is very thick and lives on the dark side. Not a lot of brightness here. This is like beer from beyond...It's got some funkiness and mustiness. Again, like a cellar.

Mouthfeel: Overcarbonated. Airy and fizzy in the mouth. Gaseous. Induces way too many burps.

Drinkability: This is not my thing. I do not care for this beer. This is the first time that I've revisited Jolly Pumpkin in quite some time and it will be the last time I do for quite some time.

08-30-2007 03:17:00 | More by Bighuge

2neardead

09-23-2012 22:54:41 | More by 2neardead
GRG1313

2.78/5  rDev -31.2%

Pours a dark hazy deep orange with a thin white head that a quick swirl makes thick and firm.

Nose that is a big and pure and assertive gewertzraminer wine grape with that sweet apple and spicy character. The nose is the real winner and strength of this brew.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium with a bit of a sour character and flavor. Nice acid in the sour character that makes this a nice food beer.

Flavors may be a bit lacking for me and also are a bit salty. Love the nose; flavors are wanting. Some sour; some yeast; some savory spice - not a lot appealing, however.

A very short lackluster finish, perhaps a bit of citrus lime in the finish.

I somehow don't "get" Jolly Pumpkin. I'm still looking for a beer that I really like from Jolly Pumpkin. I'll keep tasting them but perhaps I just don't "get" them. Love the labels; not so much the beers, so far. (Maybe I had a bad bottle?)

09-05-2009 21:14:37 | More by GRG1313
Reagan1984

2.78/5  rDev -31.2%

**after writing my review I read a few others. I was wondering if my bottle had gone bad, but based on the other comments and some others having the same questions. I think this is the way it's supposed to be. Not my thing and not like other Belgian Pale's I've enjoyed.

Upon popping open the bottle I was treated to a virtual volcano of foam. It just kept erupting out of the bottle. Way too aggressive foaming. I poured two separate glasses just to save the beer and it while it settled in the glass the bottle kept producing more foam.
In the glass there was a full glass of creamy, whipped cream. Once it settled the beer was a nice deep amber color with better clarity than I had expected at this point. As you might imagine there was non stop lacing

The aroma was very sour with a strong tart cherry aroma. Was not expecting a sour beer here. Uh Oh.

Sure enough the flavor did deliver on the sour hints advertised in the aroma. The flavor was Smokey, slightly sour and fairly medicinal. (phenol?) There was a slight fruity flavor along with a great deal of spices. Also a lot of flavors I believe are from the yeast.

The body was fairly light, the beer exploded with effervescence in your mouth from the carbonation. Puckering...

Not very drinkable in my book since it took about 4-5 minutes just to get a glass of beer out of the bottle.

I'd say this was a bit over the top in terms of tart and funk for a Belgian Pale. Not my cup of tea.

03-06-2009 11:17:41 | More by Reagan1984
SportsandJorts

2.98/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Appearance: a hazy yellow. a big foamy off-white head.

Smell: kinda bland. some weak oaky character, funky yeast.

Taste: starts off with oak not strong or too distinct. follows with some funky yeast and a slight sourness without much character

Mouthfeel: kinda light and dull

Overall: this beer just doesn't justify the cost or the effort. pretty bland and weak flavors. way too expensive and not nearly where a jolly pumpkin should be

10-13-2013 23:58:13 | More by SportsandJorts

07-12-2013 18:39:24 | More by geoffjarocki
DelMontiac

Oklahoma

3.03/5  rDev -25%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Corked/caged bottled July, 2012. Shared and poured into Rose and Thorn nonic glasses. We were totally stoked to see JP in OK!

Poured a very pretty almost perfectly clear effervescent golden orange with 2 fingers of snow white cap that popped and fizzed to a thin layer in a couple of minutes.

Hmmm...what is this??? Steely and barely fruity. Maybe pears and bananas? Weak.

Well this is a bummer...is this a light beer? A very light synthetic fruitiness of pear and apple backed by a shakey backbone of ghostly bready malt. Most notable is sour apple - more sour than apple. Very lackluster compared to what I've read about it here. I'm really at a loss for words here...bland and uneventful.

I don't think feel is an issue now. Carbonation is good, but body is quite thin and lost.

Overall I have to say this is quite average. Hype is hype and it is what it is. I traded my Bam Bier after this. A very overrated brew quite honestly.

02-12-2013 00:00:23 | More by DelMontiac
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

3.08/5  rDev -23.8%

last of the 3 bottles acquired via trade! I saved this for last since the description on the bottle called a lot of attention to the coriander and grains of paradise. In short, the beer seemed unbalanced and the influence of the coriander and grains of paradise made this an average beer IMO.

Glad to have tried it but not a repeat brew for me.

03-02-2007 14:09:02 | More by barleywinebrewer
ccrida

Oregon

3.08/5  rDev -23.8%

Batch 788/791 (bottled 5-18-2011) poured into a goblet,
Luciérnaga is a dull burnt gold with an off-white head leaving scattered, foamy lace.

Smell is dirty sour, really reminding me of vegetable compost.

Taste is also rather vegetable, without much funk or tartness, mostly just a dirty blonde. The hops have a little bit of flavor that is a nice addition, but overall this is really not to good. The spices are more prominent then any texture from the yeast and bugs, but perhaps this would round out in time.

Mouthfeel is slick, oily, light bodied.

Drinkability isn't to high, probably my least favorite JP. More acid, less spice, yes. As it stands, it's serviceable, but the price makes it one I won't be revisiting anytime soon.

07-22-2011 04:41:58 | More by ccrida