Luciérnaga, The Firefly - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

June

(Beer added by: putnam on 10-28-2004)
View: Beers (40) |  Events

Oregon

06-03-2014 02:02:38 | More by jakewatt135
StoutHunter

4.01/5  rDev -0.7%

I picked up a bottle of Jolly Pumpkin's Luciernaga, The Firefly last month for $13.49 at The Lager Mill. I've had this beer before and I remember liking it, but other than that I don't remember much about it and I thought I would revisit and review it. Bottle 6/27/13. Poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a Jolly Pumpkin snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a look to it that's a little similar to fairy tale illustration and I think it's fairly eye catching. It poured a golden yellow color that took on more of darker golden amber color when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy white head that left some rings of sticky patchy lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart a slight citrus and earthy hop aroma and i'ts followed by some more citrus aromas with some nice lemon like aromas coming through and there's a medium amount of spices showing up in the background with no single spice sticking out the most. Up next comes the funky yeast which imparts a slightly lighter barnyard aroma with some wet straw coming through and in the background comes the barrel which imparts some woody and oak like aromas that are pretty noticeable. This beer had a pretty good aroma, I thought it was well balanced and I have no complaints.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma, but a little lighter and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the hops still being the first to stick out and they impart the same light hoppy aspect and it's followed by some malty flavors with sweet malts seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes that citrus and lemon aspect with some spices and this time the grains of paradise seem to stick out the most and it's followed by that signature funky jolly pumpkin yeast that imparts a lighter funky flavors with some wet straw still sticking out the most. On the finish there's a slightly higher amount of light bitterness with a light amount of tartness also showing up along with those same barrel aspects that I got in the aroma and it had lemon, light tart, funky yeast and oak barrel like aftertaste. I thought this was a pretty good tasting beer and it seemed to be almost as well balanced as the aroma.

M- Pretty smooth, clean, crisp, dry on the finish, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a high amount of medium carbonation that was right on the border of being highly carbonation. This beer had a pretty good mouthfeel and it worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and I thought it was a little Belgian Pale Ale like to me and I think it's a good example of a lightly funky and pretty drinkable Jolly Pumpkin beer, I don't think the spices added that much to this beer, but they certainly didn't take anything away from it. This beer had pretty nice drinkability, it was smooth, clean, crisp, dry on the finish, not filling, slightly refreshing and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, this is a nice bottle to split, but I don't think I would have any problem drinking the whole bottle especially on a warm day in the summer. What I like the most about this beer was the balance, nothing was too overpowering with this beer and it seemed like all aspects were kept in check. What I liked the least about this beer was that spices didn't come through a little more and a little more citrus in the flavor wouldn't hurt either. I would buy this beer again, at over $13 it's a little pricey for what you get, so I don't think I will be buying it that often and I recommend it to anyone who likes sessionable funky beers. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer and I like it a little more than I did when I first tried it. It went down pretty easy on a warm first day of June. It's not my favorite Jolly pumpkin beer or sessionable funky beer, but it's pretty good in it's one right and I enjoyed it. Good job guys, this was a nice warm weather beer, keep up the great work.

06-02-2014 03:42:54 | More by StoutHunter