Luciérnaga, The Firefly - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

June

(Beer added by: putnam on 10-28-2004)
View: Beers (41) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
rajendra82

Georgia

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

The beer came in a 750 ml. bomber with a very artfully done label. The Belgian style pale ale came out cloudy, deep golden, and bubbly, and readily formed a rocky two finger head, that kept rising up until it was sticking above the glass in a volcano shaped cone of bubbles. Haven’t seen a display such active carbonation since the last time I cracked open a Duvel. The nose was classic Jolly Pumpkin sour, with a clear note of Brettanomyces, which undoubtedly was lurking in the crevices of the barrels this beer was aged in. The taste was dry, oak-influenced, and earthy, with the Brettanomyces showing up rarely as band-aid. The spices were quite muted, and hard to pick out above all the other flavor influences. The band-aid off flavor and the Brett character faded as I let the beer breathe, and Luciérnaga became sweeter and mellower. Pleasingly medium in body, this was also quite warming for a 6.5% ABV pale ale, which was probably due to the fact that I was gulping this easy to drink beer down fast. In my opinion, this was one of the best uses of barrel aging I have run across for a while, and quite fitting the term Artisan Ale that is proudly a part of the name of this brewery.

09-04-2006 01:53:49 | More by rajendra82
schenked

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on cask at Maproom.

Appearance - nut brown hew with slight yellow tint. next to no head, which is what you excpect from cask

Smell - hoppy, tangy

Taste - again, tangy, hoppy. Had a nice bitterness from hops, but a really pleasant tang.

Mouthfeel - soft, easy. No really bit, but not at all watery. very nice

I could drink this many times over. Anotehr winner from Jolly Pumkin. Woiuld be interested in having it from the bottle to compare.

Serving type: cask

08-20-2006 21:32:22 | More by schenked
thelagerheads

4.9/5  rDev +21.3%

Omigod Ommegang! This reminds me of the Three Philosophers but with an elevated alcohol content and spice feelers I soon forget about that unfortunate wine-beer and direct myself towards the spiritual. Of ascending church steeples and descending bodies in genuflecting waves going up-down up-down. Some bedraggled saint has his face pressed against the stain glass crying knowing that the earth will never suffer as it has sewn. And so being a lit fool is said to be the worst way to review a beer but I disagree. As one should write as close to unconsciousness as is possible to write in a dream-state so should he think about spirits. Ghosts and yeasty succulence flitter away. So comes bliss.

08-11-2006 17:47:49 | More by thelagerheads
AltBock

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

I got this on-tap at the Brew Kettle in Strongsville, OH. It came me not too cold and not too warm either, it was just at the right temperature. I should also mention that it came to me in a standard American 12 oz. pint glass. I didn't get to see what the tap handle looked like, but I'm sure it was nice looking.

Appearance: When it came to me, the beer was a hazy golden orange with a white head of foam that was slightly smaller than 1 inch in height. The white head of foam had a nice retention and left plenty of rings and a small skim of white foam that lasted the entire duration of drinking.

Smell: I thought that the smell was one dimensional. The smell was very nice in sour grapes, but that's all it was, nothing more. I kept swirling it around, but nothing more than sour grapes came out.

Taste: It tasted like it smelled, but a little better. There was plenty of not too sour fruits (which of course the most tasted of the sour fruits was the grape), sometimes yeast, and a pinch of hops. After all of those flavors came a dry aftertaste. I thought the taste was very unique, like all of the other Jolly Pumpkin beers I've had in the past. Very Nice!!

Mouthfeel: I thought it was not too light and with a dry aftertaste of mildly sour fruits.

Drinkability: It was very drinkable, in fact I had to have another one of these. Another unique beer from a brewery with a unique name of Jolly Pumpkin. I sure wouldn't mind another one of these on tap. Way to go Jolly Pumpkin!

08-09-2006 22:04:15 | More by AltBock
andjusticeforale

Connecticut

4.63/5  rDev +14.6%

I bought this in Great Barrington; no availability and I have never seen it in Connecticut; anyway, it came with much hype; I poured it from the 750ml into a tulip; there were massive, explosive amounts of carbonation. The color was a rusted bronze, the smell was of malt, some hops, nothing extravagant.

The taste was quite good; there was a great fullness of body, a great start to middle malty-ness; a nice lingering finish- with flavor but surprisingly clean. There was a terrific balance of hop and alcohol bitter/harshness with the smoothness given from the heft of the mouthfeel and the malty-ness; it was complex but not overpowering. I would suggest drinking this on your own and not pairing it with food; but if you had to, make it lamb chops or veal meatloaf.

08-07-2006 12:28:58 | More by andjusticeforale
brewcrew76

Wisconsin

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

A - Pours a golden amber with a huge puffy white head that slowly fades to a creamy lacing.

S - The aroma is a grassy lemon with some pepper and spice sprinkled in. I think I pick up some noble hops hiding in the spice.

T - There is a lot going on in this beer. Lemon and grass come through with some spice and tart. There is almost a sweet tart flavor going on with a slight sweetness and tartness battling each other.

M - Mouthfeel is about medium with a good deal of carbonation.

D - A very good, refreshing beer that I will seek out again.

08-06-2006 00:48:50 | More by brewcrew76
sulldaddy

Connecticut

Split a bottle with Stopper, poured at room temp into a stemmed bock glass. The bottle is a bit of a gusher and some foam spills.
The brew purs slightly hazy amber with soft fluffy off white head of 2cm several streams of bubbles rise to the surface.
Aroma is fruity white grape and green apple dominant with some bready yeast in the back.
First sip reveals an average body and smooth texture with fizzy carbonation.
Flavor is sweet fruit with grape and apple and some yeasty bread again. Very easy to drink even with the burps from the bubbly carbonation.
Quite a nice brew for my first from the brewery.

07-26-2006 02:49:18 | More by sulldaddy
Brent

Kentucky

Unlike the other beers I've had from Jolly Pumpkin, this beer didn't strike me as being tart, which is a characteristic of their beers. Some Belgian candy sweetness, with a bit of yeasty spice. Malt was substantial but not heavy in the mouth. A nicely done beer.

07-10-2006 15:06:46 | More by Brent
wedge

3.68/5  rDev -8.9%

Slightly hazed orange color with a torrent of carbonation rising from the center. Huge, billowy head of marshmallow fluff is perfectly "Belgian" - big foamy clumps of lace are all over my glass. Aroma is full of spices - yeasty with a touch of soapiness. Nutmeg and cinnamon warm the nose and blend with some melon and sweet malts. There's an immediate citric sourness in the taste at first - bitter spiciness with earthy and floral qualities. Rind-ish dryness and some alcoholic warmth in the end. "Easy" mouthfeel is smooth with moderate carbonation.

All kinds of spices add a nice complexity to this brew. Well worth a try and convincing enough to make me try others from Jolly Pumpkin.

07-09-2006 21:45:44 | More by wedge
tastybeer

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Giant billowing white head. The dense creamy, soapy head leaves giant lacey patches and a tantalizing heavy layer for the duration. Color is a thickly hazey amber red with a big old carbonation tornado at the center. Nose is hugely fruity, earthy, spicey, grassy, with sweet grains. Quite delightful. Taste has all of the above with a little acidic bitter to it. Very smooth mouth and for the looks, I expected a bigger body. The medium body is adequate though and enhances drinkability maybe. Certainly goes does easy for me. Mmmm yummy in my tummy.

Very good.

07-09-2006 05:22:58 | More by tastybeer
BEERchitect

Kentucky

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

If all brews were like those by Jolly Pumpkin, then I'd be one sad and drunken slug. Firefly is no different, upholding the classic brewing principals and modern artistry that we all should be demanding of our beers. Very lemony and oak-ey aromas exploding from the bottle. Pouring a diry peach color, a rocky head forms even before the beer hits the bottom of the glass. Spicy, peach and pears soon follow up in the aromas and transfer a moderate sweetness into the flavor. The wood aging really rounds off belgian yeast twang, overbearing spiciness, and alcohols. Very woodsy, musty, nutty, with a bold date flavor without the fruity sweetness. Very dusty and earthy throughout with overripe fruits. Not syrupy or sweet. Well matured and formulated. The oak may get a little dominant, and where I may criticise this in one sip, I'll applaude it in the next. The beer improved as I swirled the yeast sediment into suspension, then decanting into the goblet, then gulped it down. Amazing how I can pour 3/4ths of the bottle into the glass and the carbonation still pushes the foam from the top--it's quite magical. I really appreciate what Jolly Pumpkin does. I recommend all of their beers.

06-20-2006 02:29:40 | More by BEERchitect
beermanbrian

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

750 ml bottle

Pours a nice orange copper color. Huge white bubbly head. The lacing is some of the best i've even seen. It clings to my Chimay glass in spiderweb patterns and dosn't move.

Nice floral and citrus smell with the faintest hint of corriander. Very interesting and enjoyable. Not IPA like floral and citrus but unmistakably those scents come through.

Taste is just as enjoyable. Sweetness up front that finishes with a bitterness that is very different. It is very dry almost like a dry chardonay and it lingers but not in an overpowering way. The flavor changes to a real woodyness as you drink more. The only thing lacking is a real solid maltyness.

Overall a very enjoyable beer. Glad i picked this one up.

06-03-2006 00:50:59 | More by beermanbrian
gbontrag

Colorado

4.88/5  rDev +20.8%

It's nice to see a 750 with a cap instead of a cork.
Wow, pours frothy, then simmers to the color of dried orange peels...
"We interrupt this description to bring you the aroma of perfume!"
God that smells sweet, floral, herbal, minerally.
This is juicy unlike any beer I've ever tasted. The froth has literally transformed itself into a white top hat. This ambrosia turns and turns on the palate with sweetness, herbal essences, bitterness, floral water, strained grapefruit juice. Unbelievable. Tangerine. A bit of chardonnay, and oak. I'd call this intense, but it's so lite. It washes over my mouth like ocean waves on a white beach; gently coloring my palate with insane softness, and depth. Fine carbonation, sweet and tangy with perfect herbal bitterness. It opens like a flower releasing more botannical aromas with each sip. This is what makes beer appreciation so worthwhile. This is just a damn fine drink with every quality you could want in your refreshment. wow

05-25-2006 04:09:10 | More by gbontrag
MagicLantern

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured into my Duvel glass.

Up front I want to point three things out. First, the bottle looks great. The artwork is cool and it has a by-gone era look about it. I enjoyed this and it's why I bought it. Second, I drank this maybe two months ago and I'm making this review from notes. Third, I'll follow my notes, but the fact is I just remember hating this beer. My notes say otherwise, but my memory says never again. So I guess I'm surprised to read my notes and see that I sort of enjoyed it.

A: Little to no head. Simply a halo around the edge of glass. Heavy carbonation rests at bottom of glass and rises lightly and evenly through center of glass.

Deep translucent amber with hint of red in it.

S: Pleasant. Nutty, strong but welcoming. Slightly fruity. Smell is hops to follow.

T: Sweet followed by bitter. This has a clear distinct taste that can be broken down as follows: It starts with a crisp sweetness followed by a tart flavor which is quicky covered by a swift bitter bite that lingers just abit. This is the hops one can smell in the beer. No overt alchohol taste.

M: Watery with a bitter bite that strikes back.

D: The bitterness is sharp in a manner that increases as one drinks more of this beer. This is definetely going to cap the amount one can drink.

05-19-2006 21:04:40 | More by MagicLantern
Higravity

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Good thing I know what I was expecting from a JP beer as I had my glass ready as soon as this was popped. I needed every inch of the Duvel glass. After the initial pour in looked at the mouth of the bottle and noticed that it was damn near shut by a yeast plug. I guess this bottle was stored upside down? Anyway there were some floaties as you can imagine. The color was hazy orange-yellow with a tremendous head that became chunky and flecked with yeast. The smell was spicy and sweet with a alcoholic burst countered with a citric swirl. The taste is earthy and funky with a citric sword slicing open my stomach, the peppery dryness in the finish is nice and I really enjoy the aftertaste. A decent body on this beer I probably drank it too warm but I don't care. Good enough that I would put it into the rotation but watch out for the yeast plugs.

05-19-2006 19:51:19 | More by Higravity
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

4.85/5  rDev +20%

Bottle (courtesy of Sammy): Poured a dirty yellow color ale with a huge white foamy head with perfect retention. Aroma of floral malt with a good dose of Brett is exquisite. Taste is almost perfect with a great mix between floral malt, oak and a well balance presence of sourness and tart. The spices that are mentioned on the label (Coriander and grain of paradise) are very subtle and could hardly be tasted though. This is probably the closest thing to Orval that I’ve had the chance to drink. I do wonder when going through some of the other ratings and the description on the label if the Brett and the sourness were intended or not but in any case I am not complaining because this was a great beer experience.

05-19-2006 13:53:04 | More by Phyl21ca
taez555

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

It's been a while since I've had a gusher, but here I am, covered in beer.

This beer poured a HUGe foamy white head with a bright orange/tan/yellow body.

Nose is fruity, yeasty and slightly sour. Classic belgian saison type nose. Farmhouse stink with a pepper and sharp earthy hop spices.

Taste is very saison like. Medium bodied with an astringent hop bitterness. Strong astringent citrus peel taste, farmhouse and yeast flavors. Strong citrus fruit flavors as well, lime, grapefruit and rotting lemons. A melange of spices. Coriander, grains of paradise and black pepper. This beer ends with a looonnnnggg lingering bitterness.

A nice Belgian style ale. So very hoppy with a strong astringent bite.

05-19-2006 00:08:36 | More by taez555
oberon

3.83/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured a slight hazed honey color with a huge blossoming white head that stuck like glue to the glass as it slowly settled,aromas of honey malt and big coriander tones with a hint of orange.First off the beer seemed a bit overcarbonated and was hard going down at first somewhat prickly in the mouth as well,nice flavors not overly big on the phenolic yeastiness that I dont care for much honey sweetness with some black pepper spice with a lighter apple flavor in the finish.A bit raw for sure but a pretty good beer to be had.

05-03-2006 23:01:23 | More by oberon
Crosling

Colorado

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

Dark orange. Lofty, creamy bubbles clung together above the liquid, showing very good density. Aromatics are not exploding but are definately present, providing scents of spices (coriander), wood (white wine, cocunut), loads of fruits and the attributes of Belgian yeast. Flavor is full and rounded, rich and diverse, strange yet interesting. Fruit forward, full of spices and oak. Very tasty. The best Jolly Pumpkin beer I’ve had yet.

04-19-2006 04:48:10 | More by Crosling
RedHaze

Nebraska

3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a golden/orange color with a fluffy two finger head that never really fades away and leaves behind lots of thick lacing.

Smell; very floral, with some grape and pear aromas. There's a bit of an oak smell, along with a bit of coriander and other spices.

Taste; fruity at first with pears, white grapes and some mild ctiric notes. There's a decent sweet maltiness with just a little bit of a balancing bitterness, followed by a slight grassiness in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a a good amount of carbonation.

04-06-2006 00:21:12 | More by RedHaze
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

An Americanized barnyard seasonal. Barnyard and maltiness and spices aroma. Lots of head all the time. Very drinkable. Grainy medium mouthfeel, with a bit of bitter astringent sourness in mid-sip. Got more malt than spices, some pepper, vanilla, lemon,coriander, apple . Thanks Dr. Jay

03-05-2006 04:34:38 | More by Sammy
goodbyeohio

Oregon

3.2/5  rDev -20.8%

picked this up at julio's in mass..

pours a nice orange with a slight gravity haze.. lots of carbonation and a dark spot on top where the foam casts a shadow of doom into the body. smell is very perfumey with floral eurohops and a cracked wheat hint as well.. very odd, very pointed, almost like a brett note. you never know whats creeping into these barrels..

first thing i notice is the body which is very fizzy.. so much so that it interferes with the examination of flavor... which is ok, but wanders off in several different directions. primarily, this beer possesses a white wine-like orvally hop-funk braced blindly by a malty, buttery pale ale off flavor that seems to have been generated by the barrel. there is a slightly metallic bitterness in the end which reminds me of apple seeds. kind of a mess, and leaves you with an unpleasant aftertaste.

haven't really cared excessively for any of these jp brews (except the oro), and this one is no different. if you think this has potential, seek out goose island's matilda to see this idea carried out successfully.

02-26-2006 07:11:59 | More by goodbyeohio
woodychandler

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

I had a small sample at the January 2006 Heavyweight Open House and I thought it good then, but my curiosity was really piqued when gueuzegeek chastised me for not knowing about the brewery or the brewer. I was really excited when I discovered it on cask at Spuyten Duyvil on my way to BOS for the EBF.

It started slowly for me, as a lightly cloudy, medium-amber colored beer with a very thin, white head that evidenced low retention. Further, the mouthfeel was on the thin and watery side. Enough of the negatives! The nose had a wild mix of brett and apple cider. It was simultaneously tart and sweet on the tongue with the brett lingering on the finish. As it warmed, the mouthfeel thickened and the apple and citrus flavors began to assert themselves. The brett was a lingering tartness throughout the beer, but it was not as overwhelming as it has been in other beers that I have tried.

Serving type: cask

02-20-2006 22:52:37 | More by woodychandler
ommegangpbr

Tart and tangy. On the darker side of the pale ale spectrum. Drinks quite a bit like a wild ale or a lambic. Shades of sour apple jolly rancher candy. At times it's a bit like drinking perfume, but for the most part I like this quite a lot. There are Belgian pale ales sorta similar to this that I don't like, but the tangyness makes this unique and interesting.
Yeah.

02-19-2006 03:43:43 | More by ommegangpbr
ggaughan

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Served in a 750 ml bottle at the Farmhouse in Emmaus. The beer poured a nice copper color with a thick white head. The beer had a nice sweet, tart aroma of grapes, maybe apples. The taste is toasty, malty with a bit of a hoppy bite that is enjoyable. The beer is not overally complex but is drinkable and another good beer from Jolly Pumpkin.

02-10-2006 02:41:54 | More by ggaughan