Maracaibo Especial - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Maracaibo EspecialMaracaibo Especial

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

American Brown Ale |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 02-28-2005)
3.81/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

1.98/5  rDev -50%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Not your typical brown ale. Sour and just gross. I questioned if it went bad.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

Had this a few times this year. It's very good.

The first time I tried it, I was totally caught by surprise by the mild sourness. After a few sips, the unusual surprise became a pleasant one. I shouldn't have been all that surprised, though, considering the styles of beer that Jolly Pumpkin produces.

Not one of my favorite JP beers but it definitely is interesting. Plenty going on in this one. The most I could give this is 4 stars, for the time being. 3.75-4. Definitely would like to try this again in the future and give it some more attention.

2.75/5  rDev -30.6%

4.76/5  rDev +20.2%

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

3.79/5  rDev -4.3%

Date: 9/2/14
Other notes: bottle dated 11/15/13. Picked it up at the store a few days ago, so likely it's been sitting on the shelf at room temperature since then...who knows how that has affected the taste.

Appearance - 4.25/5
A medium brown-orange. The beer is much lighter in color than I was expecting. Most brown ales I have had typically are darker, closer to a porter or stout. However this beer looked more clear. It was very hazy, so it wasn't actually clear, but it had that clear-esque look, versus the totally opaque look of many darker ales. There is a medium amount of head which stays throughout the drinking of the beer. If I look closely, I can see a lot of carbonation flowing at a moderately rapid rate to the top. Overall, I like the look. Even though it's a brown ale, I like the clearness, it makes it look more tropical, which is part of this beer's character.

Smell - 4/5
Jolly Pumpkin tartness. Tart apples, cherries. Orange/citrus. Perhaps a little bit of the chocolate/cinnamon...it's hard to tell, and my palate is not very refined. Overall a good smell...I would have liked it to be a little stronger though, and to get more of the unique flavors like the cinnamon and choclate into the smell (versus just smelling like most JP beers)

Taste - 3.85/5
Jolly Pumpkin fruity-tartness. Tart apples, cherries, maybe some citrus/orange. Again, I am struggling to taste any of the cacao or cinnamon, which were the aspects of this beer which I was really looking forward too. There does seem to be a little bit of sweetness and/or spiciness which seems to be distinct from the fruity-tart flavors, so I am assuming this is the cacao/cinnamon. Occasionally I get sips which seem spicier than normal, but overall I would have liked these flavors to be more pronounced. The taste is great, but at the same time it tastes like most other JP beers (luckily I love the standard JP taste). After drinking a while though, I do notice there is a strange aftertaste residue which sits in my mouth and is not entirely pleasant.

Mouthfeel - 3.75/5
The beer is medium-bodied, fairly smooth. The carbonation seems a little inconsistent, with some sips seeming to be highly carbonated, while others the carbonation is light.

Overall - 3.5/5
Overall, this was a good brew, it just wasn't particularly unique. I couldn't really taste any of the unique flavors which I hoped would set this apart from other JP brews. Also, it didn't really taste like a brown ale at all. Thus I am giving it a lower rating. I would never get this brew again, because I can get cheaper JP brews which basically taste the exact same.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20%

4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

3.52/5  rDev -11.1%

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

Mildly cloudy copper pour with an airy off-white two-finger head. Nice sour fruit and funk aroma. Slightly sour cherry and citrus taste upfront backed by light spices, grain and sweeter malt. Finishes with a mild lingering tartness. Medium bodied.

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%