Maracaibo Especial - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Maracaibo EspecialMaracaibo Especial

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

American Brown Ale |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 02-28-2005)
4.6/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I like to carry the expended bottle caps from my open brews in the pockets of my shorts for a few hours to jangle around with the silver pieces and keys. It's like a currency until I drop them into my wicker basket of used caps. Now I'm thinking about how I can carry the pint + 9.4 oz wine-like bottles from Jolly Pumpkin on me. A holster with a bullet belt for the caps? A sidecar with my favorite pet in tow like a motorcycle has? Maybe even an IV bag to keep me from certain dehydration?

This one starts with the typical fruity keg-o'spice and then languidly ends with a gradual fog of descending cacao cloudiness. Not how I prefer my darker beers to be but this one tricks the palate into believing that there are actually two beers at work here and really in essence there are: the standard fare high quality super mofo Jolly Pumpkin brew with a russet echo.

thelagerheads, Aug 11, 2006

craigdb, Nov 15, 2014

Torey, Nov 12, 2014
3.79/5  rDev -4.3%

Date: 9/2/14
Other notes: bottle dated 11/15/13. Picked it up at the store a few days ago, so likely it's been sitting on the shelf at room temperature since then...who knows how that has affected the taste.

Appearance - 4.25/5
A medium brown-orange. The beer is much lighter in color than I was expecting. Most brown ales I have had typically are darker, closer to a porter or stout. However this beer looked more clear. It was very hazy, so it wasn't actually clear, but it had that clear-esque look, versus the totally opaque look of many darker ales. There is a medium amount of head which stays throughout the drinking of the beer. If I look closely, I can see a lot of carbonation flowing at a moderately rapid rate to the top. Overall, I like the look. Even though it's a brown ale, I like the clearness, it makes it look more tropical, which is part of this beer's character.

Smell - 4/5
Jolly Pumpkin tartness. Tart apples, cherries. Orange/citrus. Perhaps a little bit of the chocolate/cinnamon...it's hard to tell, and my palate is not very refined. Overall a good smell...I would have liked it to be a little stronger though, and to get more of the unique flavors like the cinnamon and choclate into the smell (versus just smelling like most JP beers)

Taste - 3.85/5
Jolly Pumpkin fruity-tartness. Tart apples, cherries, maybe some citrus/orange. Again, I am struggling to taste any of the cacao or cinnamon, which were the aspects of this beer which I was really looking forward too. There does seem to be a little bit of sweetness and/or spiciness which seems to be distinct from the fruity-tart flavors, so I am assuming this is the cacao/cinnamon. Occasionally I get sips which seem spicier than normal, but overall I would have liked these flavors to be more pronounced. The taste is great, but at the same time it tastes like most other JP beers (luckily I love the standard JP taste). After drinking a while though, I do notice there is a strange aftertaste residue which sits in my mouth and is not entirely pleasant.

Mouthfeel - 3.75/5
The beer is medium-bodied, fairly smooth. The carbonation seems a little inconsistent, with some sips seeming to be highly carbonated, while others the carbonation is light.

Overall - 3.5/5
Overall, this was a good brew, it just wasn't particularly unique. I couldn't really taste any of the unique flavors which I hoped would set this apart from other JP brews. Also, it didn't really taste like a brown ale at all. Thus I am giving it a lower rating. I would never get this brew again, because I can get cheaper JP brews which basically taste the exact same.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20%

Bloodbuzz99, Nov 02, 2014
3.52/5  rDev -11.1%

chris1919, Oct 30, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

Mildly cloudy copper pour with an airy off-white two-finger head. Nice sour fruit and funk aroma. Slightly sour cherry and citrus taste upfront backed by light spices, grain and sweeter malt. Finishes with a mild lingering tartness. Medium bodied.

Karibourgeois, Oct 19, 2014