Maracaibo Especial - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Beer added by: marburg on 02-28-2005

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

2.75/5  rDev -30.6%

2.61/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Appearance is brownish-copper with no appreciable head. There was some fine lacing on the glass, but not much.

The nose was too mild to discern much of anything - there was a touch of sourness, perhaps. The taste offers a quick shot of cocoa and then fruity sourness that was like biting into a beer flavored jolly rancher.

I've heard a great deal of good hype about Jolly Pumpkin, but my first try at one of their offerings was a complete disappointment. I will certainly try another of their beers, but I will certainly not believe the hype again until I taste the proof.

4.51/5  rDev +13.9%

Bottle into a nonic pint.

I've had this before and loved it-- and since I don't want to waste time reviewing this beer at my upcoming Jolly Pumpkin tasting, I figured I'd get to it tonight.

I don't usually go in for brown ales, in fact I tend to eye brown ales with the same regard as a man that just found a caterpillar in his salad.... The only brown ale I really regard highly is Coffee Bender, which is very different from most American brown ales. This beer also falls into the same category.

I cracked this open to a nice hiss like an adder that has just been stepped on by a careless mule. The body of the beer is a reddish brown color with a caramel colored head. The foamy head sat at attention long enough to make me sit up and take notice before it settled to a clouded map. Nice thick sheets of foamy lacing. Shiny and glowing. Just a gorgeous goddamn beer.

The nose holds some oak, tart over-ripe cherries, and a healthy dose of some malt. Not overly sweet, but sweet enough to make me think this may have originally begun life as a genuine brown ale. The dry malt and tart notes are great. Light oaky vinegar at the backend.

Feel is medium full with ample carbonation. It works well enough.

Overall-- this is now in the running for my favorite brown ale. Just a tasty and pleasant beer to drink.
Well done Jolly Pumpkin!

PS-- this was the 2011 vintage. At our upcoming tasting we will try a 4 or 5 year vertical... So I'll update with my favorite!

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

Thanks Thorpe, serves in a snifter. Beer is brown / black with a thin tan head, low carbonation, no lacing.

Aroma is a little roasty, some acetic and lactic.

Beer is a little chocolatey and a little lactic forward. It is fine but doesn't blow me away. I might have it again in the future but this isn't my favorite from this brewery.

3.65/5  rDev -7.8%

Bottle picked up at Connecticut Avenue in DC.

Blend 4; bottled November 19, 2010. Served in a Jolly Pumpkin tulip.

Pours a clear chestnut brown color with a single-finger off-white head and some good lacing on the way down. Thin cap throughout. The nose has a bit of cocoa as well as some mild earthiness. Just a touch of funk in the background.

The flavor has a bit of dark cocoa. There's a bit of light oak and earthiness toward the back. Not nearly as much going on as other Jolly Pumpkin beers; this is more "normal." It's a pretty good brew, but there's nothing there to take the complexity to the next level.

4.18/5  rDev +5.6%

First had: on tap at Capone's, Norristown, PA

Worthy of note: this did not come off as a brown ale in any regard whatsoever. I don't think "special brown ale" qualifies this as a brown ale...it wasn't. Labeled as a sour ale on the beer list.

Served in a 9oz. snifter, this beer poured some kind of orange-brown-pink hybrid color that I can only really otherwise describe as "imperial topaz;" hazy, with a thin cap of delicate bubbles on top. Aroma was a bit subdued: tart, but actually pretty mildly so, with soft notes of wood and leaves. Taste of cherries, orange pith and apple skins, again, like the aroma, tart, but not overly so, sour, but not lip-puckering, oak and leafiness, tannins, citrus, and light spice with the lightest dusting of cocoa powder. Very nice and complex. Medium-bodied, very drying, very easily drinkable, but nice to sip on slowly.

3.57/5  rDev -9.8%

A: Pours a dark ruby red/brown color. A one finger bubbly white head forms, and recedes after a minute. Light lace.
S: Lightly acidic and sour in the nose. Dark fruits of plums and figs. Sweet cinnamon, and zesty orange peal.
T: Lightly tart/sour. Some wood flavors and sweetness. Not bad at all, but really lacking in depth (especially for JP).
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. A bit on the thin side though. Not hard to drink at all. Something I will finish without a problem.

This is kind of a miss for me. Nothing bad at all, and quite enjoyable. Though not one of JP's better offerings IMO.

Maracaibo Especial from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales