Maracaibo Especial - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Maracaibo EspecialMaracaibo Especial

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

American Brown Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 02-28-2005

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 720 | Reviews: 317
4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

4.12/5  rDev +4%

A: Slightly hazy mahogany with a thin layer of dense head.

S: Complex aroma that reminds me a little of a flanders red. Tobacco, oak, grape juice, cantaloupe, cinnamon, cocoa, cherries, some diacetyl, lemon peal. Fantastic aroma, mellow compared to the other JP beers I've had.

T: I think this beer finds an interesting sweet spot in terms of acidity. It's a lot less tart than Calabaza but the darker malts round everything off nicely. Highly drinkable.

M: Low carbonation with a creamy and very pleasant mouthfeel.

O: A great introductory sour beer, very complex and highly enjoyable.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

2.75/5  rDev -30.6%

2.61/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Appearance is brownish-copper with no appreciable head. There was some fine lacing on the glass, but not much.

The nose was too mild to discern much of anything - there was a touch of sourness, perhaps. The taste offers a quick shot of cocoa and then fruity sourness that was like biting into a beer flavored jolly rancher.

I've heard a great deal of good hype about Jolly Pumpkin, but my first try at one of their offerings was a complete disappointment. I will certainly try another of their beers, but I will certainly not believe the hype again until I taste the proof.

4.51/5  rDev +13.9%

Bottle into a nonic pint.

I've had this before and loved it-- and since I don't want to waste time reviewing this beer at my upcoming Jolly Pumpkin tasting, I figured I'd get to it tonight.

I don't usually go in for brown ales, in fact I tend to eye brown ales with the same regard as a man that just found a caterpillar in his salad.... The only brown ale I really regard highly is Coffee Bender, which is very different from most American brown ales. This beer also falls into the same category.

I cracked this open to a nice hiss like an adder that has just been stepped on by a careless mule. The body of the beer is a reddish brown color with a caramel colored head. The foamy head sat at attention long enough to make me sit up and take notice before it settled to a clouded map. Nice thick sheets of foamy lacing. Shiny and glowing. Just a gorgeous goddamn beer.

The nose holds some oak, tart over-ripe cherries, and a healthy dose of some malt. Not overly sweet, but sweet enough to make me think this may have originally begun life as a genuine brown ale. The dry malt and tart notes are great. Light oaky vinegar at the backend.

Feel is medium full with ample carbonation. It works well enough.

Overall-- this is now in the running for my favorite brown ale. Just a tasty and pleasant beer to drink.
Well done Jolly Pumpkin!

PS-- this was the 2011 vintage. At our upcoming tasting we will try a 4 or 5 year vertical... So I'll update with my favorite!

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

Thanks Thorpe, serves in a snifter. Beer is brown / black with a thin tan head, low carbonation, no lacing.

Aroma is a little roasty, some acetic and lactic.

Beer is a little chocolatey and a little lactic forward. It is fine but doesn't blow me away. I might have it again in the future but this isn't my favorite from this brewery.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Maracaibo Especial from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales