Bière De Mars - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-05-2005

to view more.
Ratings: 539 | Reviews: 208
4.99/5  rDev +20%

Poured into a straight tulip glass (half snifter/half wine glass) from the 750mL bottle at Torst in Brooklyn, NY. This is the best beer I have ever had, hands down: It is incredibly balanced between the malts, the oak, and the funk, each of which there is plenty, but instead of overpowering waves of each crossing the palate, they complement each other in this incredible brew. Of course, the flavor became more complex as it warmed. My mouth is watering just writing this. Fennel soaked olives were an interesting, but not, in my opinion, flavor complimenting food pairing, though the food and the beer remained great individual experiences. Jolly Pumpkin is not easy to find in my area, and this particular brew is even harder to find, and so it was well worth the $35 for the bottle.

4.84/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Had this at Public House in the Venetian, Las Vegas. It was beer #5 in a social setting, so didn't get the attention it deserves. Some quick notes:
Hazy to cloudy with a rocky head that dissipated but maintained some lace.
Aroma was hard to capture in the smoky environment, but pleasant and light
Bready flavor with an amazing tartness. Notes of fruit.
Finished dry and pleasant, very little hop bitterness.

I want to try this beer again in a better tasting environment.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Light brown and incredibly cloudy with no penetration to light. I smell a bit of tart apple and some light funk. The taste is nice and balanced with bit of apple cider like tartness. The finish is quick,crisp, dry and refreshing.

4.81/5  rDev +15.6%

This I by far my favorite Jolly Pumpkin brew. Everything about it is so well rounded, no flavor is overpowering yet everything is well portrayed and pronounced. Sour level is moderate to high with a balanced mouth feel. Strong cider flavors from yeast.

3.92/5  rDev -5.8%

Nice and sour but reminded me of a Flanders red.

4.02/5  rDev -3.4%

A - Pours a dark orange with a one-finger off-white head. The head dissapates quickly leaving virtually no lacing.

S - Aromas of green apple, vinegar, tart cherries, and oak.

T - The taste is green apple, tart cherries, vinegar, and some lactic acidity. The finish has some oak tannins and tart white grape.

M - Medium bodied with low carbonation. Mouthfeel is very smooth with a dry finish,

O - A nice tart beer with lots of interesting flavors going on. Very smooth and easy drinking.

3.79/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Orange red color, relatively clear. Small head, no lace.

Lots cherry sweetness. Some sourness.

Very reminiscent of a kriek. Lots of sourness with a cherry touch. Rich body and lower carbonation.

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Tart cherry is the major note, bitter wash but not overwhelming, thin mouthfeel and the sourness doesnt linger.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

750 ml bottle with no freshness date, poured into a wine glass

Appearance: Pours a rusty dark brown orange color with less than a finger of head that dissipates to a thin off white collar. Body is super hazy and barely translucent.

Smell: Sour apple, vinegar, oak, funk, slight brown bread character, sour cherry, leather. Interesting.

Taste: Not as sour/acidic as the aroma led me to believe, but there is a light sourness upfront, followed a mashup of fruity, funky characteristics without any one sticking out individually. There are also notes of oak, hay, brown bread and almost a fall foliage type character. Lots

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a slick mouthfeel. Carbonation on the low side of medium. Finishes oaky and dry.

Overall: Very unique beer and also very good. Lots of flavor and complexity. One of Jolly Pumpkin's better offerings.

3.84/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance - 4/5
An extremely clear amber-orange. Almost no head. Lots of carbonation bubbles rising to the top at a moderate pace. Overall, it has a classic beer look, and looks like an inviting drink.

Smell - 4.5/5
Sweet smells of cherry, oranges, licorice. It's hard to describe, but the smells are very nice.

Taste - 3.87/5
Extremely sweet, tastes of oranges, cherries, bubblegum, caramel, other sweet flavors. A bit of tartness funk. There is a small alcohol presence as well as a bit of malty taste. The aftertaste in the mouth is quite nice. Overall, the taste is good, and seems fairly unique. However it might be a little too sweet for me.

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
The beer is light to medium in body. More crisp than creamy. The carbonation is between light and medium.

Overall - 3.8/5
Overall, this is a tasty and unique beer. It might be a little sweet in my opinion. The main strength of this beer is it's unique flavor. I am glad I tried this beer, but I don't know if I would get it again, at least for a while.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20%

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed from notes. Poured from 750 mL bottle into a Firestone Walker tulip glass.

A: Hazy dark bronze, with a finger's worth of white head that fades fairly quickly. A few stray bubbles up the side is all the visible carbonation.

S: Funky and tart with mild acetic qualities and some dry oak tannins. Some tart fruit (lemons and cherries, mostly) as well.

T: Tart cherries, acetic and lightly funky, provide nice counterpoint to the rich malt sweetness. Oak tannins present in the back providing dryness but not prominent oak flavor. Tartness and oak dryness meet together in the hang.

M: Medium body, good carbonation sensation. The ABV is very well-hidden.

O: I might be still a little fuzzy on what this style should be, but this beer is really tasty. Tart and funky without being overwhelming on either front. Very enjoyable and easy to drink.

3.69/5  rDev -11.3%

Big bottle from Tipples. Batch 281/283, bottle 2/20/14. Poured 10/20/14. Pours beautifully clear amber color with a super creamy two finger off white head. Aroma is mostly bready malts with some light grass and a bit of toffee sweetness, and just a hint of barnyard funk. Flavor is on the sweeter side, lots of fruits--apples, cherry, pears--some very sweet caramel malts, a hint of spices, and some funky yeast character. Lightly sour with some lightly dry oak character. Medium plus bodied, and could use a bit more carbonation to lighten things up. Overall, a nice beer for the fall, but wondering if I should have popped it when it was fresher, as it comes in a bit on the sweet side without much hay/hop/funky yeast notes that I was hoping for here.

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Bottled 2/18/14. Batch 264/266.

Pours a murky dark orange-brown with a foamy khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is sour with malt, grain, fruit, wood, funk, and acidic aromas. Taste is much the same with sour grain, apple cider, funk, and acidic flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of acidity on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and dry mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer with a solid sour and funky fruit aspect all around that reminds me of apple cider.

Serving type: bottle.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottled 2/23/14

A: poured into an oversized wine glass to a light brown with a dense two finger head that fades to a small mat that leaves decent lacing
S: smells of funk, spices oak and tartness
T: tastes of oak, light tartness, funky barnyard, light spice, hint of caramel malt. swallow is lactic sourness, more oak, and some lingering funk
M: this beer is somewhat light on the palate with soft carbonation and a drying finish
O: I'm not a huge fan of the style but knowing how Jolly Pumpkin does beers gave me the courage to grab a bottle. I'm glad I did as this one is very good.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

Clear copper red pour with a small white head. Light sour, white grape and woody aroma. Very light body with a sour cherry and mild red apple taste upfront. Also has flavors of orange, white grapes, mild caramel malt, and yeast. Finishes with a strong and wet sour flavor.

3.7/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

From a 750 ml bottle to a wine glass.

A-A normal pour produces just less than a finger of white head. The retention is short and the beer leaves no lacing on the glass. The brew is dark honey in color and sort-of murky, dirty-water in appearance.

S-The aroma is musty and subtle with suggestions of wine vinegar, white grape, and green apple tartness. The malt aromas are caramel with a slight spice and dough flavor that reminds me of fruit cake. I'm not sure I'm into it.

T-The taste, like the smell, is a bit jumbled. I taste malt flavors like toffee, prune, and a musty wet wheat flavor. I also taste pear and apple fruit, and the aforementioned white grape. The fruitcake spice is still there too, lurking in the background with some white vinegar tartness. It is complex, but not in a good way.

M-The feel is medium in body with a smooth carbonation that stays active on my palate.

O-I had a hard time getting into this beer. There is just so much going on that I am not sure it all fits together. Between the tartness (that is typical of Jolly Pumpkin), the strange malt flavors, and the lighter flavors of apple and pear, it feels and tastes a bit odd to me. Oh well, I can see the appeal, but this beer is not for me.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It is great being able to buy Jolly Pumpkin in Texas now. I can't believe I have not reviewed this one yet...

A: Pours a clear, but rusted red color. A dense, two finger white head gently rises, and recedes in a minute. Rings of lace are left behind.
S: Acidic cherries and apples are the first ting I get. Almost cider like. Just a bit of sweetness here with vanilla and oak. White grapes linger. A delicate nose that is really enjoyable.
T: Toasted malts up front. Tart and acidic cherries and apple cider. A bit vinegary as well. Some sweetness like vanilla and caramel, but that quickly fades in a second. Oak barrels, with a lingering dry tart white grape flavor that pulls the cheeks in. Everything is very delicate, and nothing wants to take over.
M/D: A medium body and effervescent with lively carbonation. This finishes dry, with a great puckering that I love. Like everything they do, immensely drinkable. A bomber goes down to easily.

I have always loved the delicate balance Jolly Pumpkin has. Nothing is over the top or intense. Just really well balanced and well done.

4.06/5  rDev -2.4%

Starts with a cloudy brown body and a creamy, frothy white head. There's lots of residual yeast visible. Lots of energetic carbonation. 4

Smells of brown malt, sourness, and some barnyard funk. There's a bit of nuttiness and earthiness. 4

Tart, earthy and fruity with some unripened cherry flavor. I get undertones of brown malt. 4

This brew is surprisingly creamy and smooth, tart, with a slight acidity. 4.25

This is an interesting and tasty beer.

4.09/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Pours a clear amber with a creamy, lingering khaki head.

S: The nose presents delicate aromas of cider vinegar, oak, must, pineapple, carambola, guava, caramel, toffee apples, and spiced pear.

T: Notes of dark bread, nougat, toffee apples, caramel, spiced pear, cider vinegar, must, oak, pineapple, carambola, guava, toasted almonds, sour cherries, and unripened grape fill the mouth. The finish is clipped and dry with sour cherry, must, oak, pineapple, spiced pear, and toffee apple notes.

M: Medium-to-full in body and very dry. Carbonation is spritzy. There is a slight alcohol warmth in the mouth.

O: An awesome sour ale. To this point, this might be one of my favorite offerings from Jolly Pumpkin.

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a bottle of Jolly Pumpkin's Biere De Mars last month for $12.99 at The Lager Mill. I've never had this beer before, but I've heard many good things and I'm very interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a Jolly Pumpkin snifter.

A- The label looks very nice and it's got nice scene of a boat in stormy seas and waves that take on a women like appearance, I think it's very well done and I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a nice caramel like amber color that took on a ruby red like hue when held to the light with under a fingers worth of bubbly light tan head that quickly died down to a thin bubbly ring that eventually faded away and it left some super small spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish the head and lacing were a little better.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness and it's followed by a big fruity aroma being the first to show up and it's a nice mixture of dark fruit, tart cherry's and raspberry like aromas with the raspberrys seeming to stick out the most, but not by much and there seems to be a little higher amount of medium sourness showing up with the fruit. Up next comes the yeast which is on the lighter side and it imparts a light wet straw and funky barnyard like aromas that's a lot lighter than most Jolly Pumpkin beers. Towards the end comes the barrel which seem to be a little on the lighter side but they still impart some nice oak like aromas. The aroma was great, I liked how fruity and sour the aroma was.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness and a slightly lower amount of high sourness that leads right into a good amount of fruits that impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time no single fruit seems to stick out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart a bready and slightly biscuit like malt flavors with some sweet malts showing up in the background. Up next comes a little bit of that funky yeast that I got in the aroma along with some light oaky flavors from the barrels. On the finish there's a little more sourness with a great fruity and slightly funky aftertaste. This was a great tasting beer, the taste seems a little more balanced than the aroma and the different aspects worked great together.

M- Smooth, clean, slightly refreshing, not too acidic, a little dry on the finish with just enough crispness, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The beer had a very nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a great beer and I thought it was a great example of a Sour, and it's a little unique for a Jolly Pumpkin beer simply because the funky yeast and oak barrel were a little subdued while the sourness and fruit flavors were in the forefront and I can't say that about many Jolly Pumpkin beers, it may just be the sourest beer I've had from them. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, slightly refreshing, not too acidic, a little dry on the finish, just crisp enough, not filling at all and the taste did a great job at holding my attention, a full bottle might be a little too much for me, but with how great it tastes I think I would give it a shot, so I would say one bottle is the perfect amount for me. What I like the most about this beer was how well the sour fruity flavors were showcased it reminded me of some of the better sours I've had. What I like the least about this beer was the appearance, it wasn't bad and I really liked the color, but the head and retention were a little disappointing. I would for sure buy this beer again, it's a little pricey, but I think it's worth and I would like to see how this beer changes with time. I would recommend this to anyone who likes sours, I think it's a must try, especially if your a Jolly Pumpkin fan. All in all I was very happy with this beer and I was also a little impressed with it, it was a little unique for a Jolly Pumpkin and in the end it made for one tasty beer especially for the warmer weather like the label suggests. This might just be my new favorite Jolly Pumpkin beers I've had and it's for sure the sourest one I've had from them and I think it's one of the better sours I've had and I think the complexity helped out with that. Great job guys, I'm really happy I tried this beer and it turned out to be an instant favorite, keep up the great work.

3.62/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dirty brown, ring of lacing. Hints of orange.

Funk, sour cherry, oak. Basically a sour with some belgian influences.

Orange, wheat, lots of spices, light sour pang.

Light mouthfeel, ABV seems low. Sessionability is okay.

Good, lots of mixed floral and earthy flavors.

4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a slightly hazy copper color with amber edges; two fingers thick fluffy off-white head, spray of chunky lace on the glass. Smell: red grape skin, acetic note and hay above caramel; lightly fruity and sweet. Taste: tart peach, grape skin, unripe plum... tart and semi-sweet fruit is the main event; mild toasted grain flavor, herbal and oaky in the finish. Medium bodied with creamy but lighter carbonation. Tart, fruity, slightly herbal finish. Liked Oro better, but this is nice.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Notes are about 3 weeks old, but concise and thorough

The head is off-white, settling in a heavy foam one finger high over an interestingly colored brew of a hazy pink-orange. The head keeps itself up for nearly the entirety of the session, throwing down strong lace as it does.
Sourness and funk are the main attraction with this beer, though it has lots of complexity and runs deep with aroma and flavor. The aroma seems to develop everything just a little more fully, pouring out some spiciness, both a bit sweet and peppery, a green sort of woodiness, some earth and must, and a variety of fruits light, dark, citric and tropical. There's enough sweetness to balance all the pucker, though, and it makes this beer easy-drinking and much more pleasurable than without. This beer shows a bit of yeast, lots of brett, and some earthy must to complement as a result. There are also some phenols drawn out, more in the taste than the smell.
There's a juiciness to the sour aspect that translates into and drives the mouthfeel. It runs dry underneath that for a semi-dry feel overall. It's crisp with a tangy bite to it as well.

3.96/5  rDev -4.8%

jolly pumpkin can do no wrong for me. this bier de garde type is a little more straight forward for me than some of their other stuff, but thats okay, its really expertly made and really yummy. a copper colored beer with a radiant luster, small white fizz head, and a remarkable clarity for a wild ale. i smell the classic jolly pumpkin brett and bacterial culture, and a ton of oak, giving it a funky sweetness that goes well with its robust grain profile. the flavor is a little sweeter than i need it to be, a mix of grain and oak contributing to that, a very toffee-like complexion to it, almost english in nature really, but then the bugs kick in. the beer takes a hard turn towards sour, with the acidity really developing later in the sip. dry now for how sweet it began, and mellowed by a ton of wood, really earthy and fresh. i could stand a bit more carbonation in this one to make the flavors pop a little more, they all seem to melt together just a little bit and lose their individuality, which bubbles would aid in i think, but i like the medium body and all the oak on this. clever beer, definitely up to the high standards they have set throughout their lineup.

4.12/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The aroma has vinegar and tart cherries

The flavor follows of tart vinegar, dark fruits, cherries, a substantial malt in the middle, then lots of tart and funk qualities.

An interesting brew with hints of oak, cherries, tart qualities and Brett funk. In general another one of a good tart and funky brew from Jolly Pumpkin.

to view more.