Bière De Mars - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Bière De MarsBière De Mars

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Bière de Garde |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-05-2005)
View: Beers (36) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by MeisterBurger:
MeisterBurger

Ontario (Canada)

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

Blend 2 - bottled 3-8-2011.

Pours like a Diet Coke, a deep hazy ruby chestnut, almost purple at times, topped by a thin head of foam that dies down to a thin collar circling small islands of foam.

The aroma is pure sour funk with notes of caramel and apple cider vinegar.

The taste is sour caramel cherries. Dry oaky finish with rubber gym balls lingering in the aftertaste. Tart without being sour, but it's enough to keep the caramel and light cocoa notes in check. Somewhat vinous/vinegary.

Light body with light carbonation.

Pretty decent overall.

07-03-2014 04:53:57 | More by Boozecamel
mrfrancis

Kentucky

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

A: Pours a clear amber with a creamy, lingering khaki head.

S: The nose presents delicate aromas of cider vinegar, oak, must, pineapple, carambola, guava, caramel, toffee apples, and spiced pear.

T: Notes of dark bread, nougat, toffee apples, caramel, spiced pear, cider vinegar, must, oak, pineapple, carambola, guava, toasted almonds, sour cherries, and unripened grape fill the mouth. The finish is clipped and dry with sour cherry, must, oak, pineapple, spiced pear, and toffee apple notes.

M: Medium-to-full in body and very dry. Carbonation is spritzy. There is a slight alcohol warmth in the mouth.

O: An awesome sour ale. To this point, this might be one of my favorite offerings from Jolly Pumpkin.

07-02-2014 18:20:39 | More by mrfrancis

Rhode Island

06-24-2014 16:07:14 | More by Seanniek91
StoutHunter

4.44/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a bottle of Jolly Pumpkin's Biere De Mars last month for $12.99 at The Lager Mill. I've never had this beer before, but I've heard many good things and I'm very interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a Jolly Pumpkin snifter.

A- The label looks very nice and it's got nice scene of a boat in stormy seas and waves that take on a women like appearance, I think it's very well done and I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a nice caramel like amber color that took on a ruby red like hue when held to the light with under a fingers worth of bubbly light tan head that quickly died down to a thin bubbly ring that eventually faded away and it left some super small spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish the head and lacing were a little better.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness and it's followed by a big fruity aroma being the first to show up and it's a nice mixture of dark fruit, tart cherry's and raspberry like aromas with the raspberrys seeming to stick out the most, but not by much and there seems to be a little higher amount of medium sourness showing up with the fruit. Up next comes the yeast which is on the lighter side and it imparts a light wet straw and funky barnyard like aromas that's a lot lighter than most Jolly Pumpkin beers. Towards the end comes the barrel which seem to be a little on the lighter side but they still impart some nice oak like aromas. The aroma was great, I liked how fruity and sour the aroma was.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness and a slightly lower amount of high sourness that leads right into a good amount of fruits that impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time no single fruit seems to stick out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart a bready and slightly biscuit like malt flavors with some sweet malts showing up in the background. Up next comes a little bit of that funky yeast that I got in the aroma along with some light oaky flavors from the barrels. On the finish there's a little more sourness with a great fruity and slightly funky aftertaste. This was a great tasting beer, the taste seems a little more balanced than the aroma and the different aspects worked great together.

M- Smooth, clean, slightly refreshing, not too acidic, a little dry on the finish with just enough crispness, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The beer had a very nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a great beer and I thought it was a great example of a Sour, and it's a little unique for a Jolly Pumpkin beer simply because the funky yeast and oak barrel were a little subdued while the sourness and fruit flavors were in the forefront and I can't say that about many Jolly Pumpkin beers, it may just be the sourest beer I've had from them. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, slightly refreshing, not too acidic, a little dry on the finish, just crisp enough, not filling at all and the taste did a great job at holding my attention, a full bottle might be a little too much for me, but with how great it tastes I think I would give it a shot, so I would say one bottle is the perfect amount for me. What I like the most about this beer was how well the sour fruity flavors were showcased it reminded me of some of the better sours I've had. What I like the least about this beer was the appearance, it wasn't bad and I really liked the color, but the head and retention were a little disappointing. I would for sure buy this beer again, it's a little pricey, but I think it's worth and I would like to see how this beer changes with time. I would recommend this to anyone who likes sours, I think it's a must try, especially if your a Jolly Pumpkin fan. All in all I was very happy with this beer and I was also a little impressed with it, it was a little unique for a Jolly Pumpkin and in the end it made for one tasty beer especially for the warmer weather like the label suggests. This might just be my new favorite Jolly Pumpkin beers I've had and it's for sure the sourest one I've had from them and I think it's one of the better sours I've had and I think the complexity helped out with that. Great job guys, I'm really happy I tried this beer and it turned out to be an instant favorite, keep up the great work.

06-21-2014 03:49:08 | More by StoutHunter