Bam Bière - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Bam BièreBam Bière

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: nomad on 02-04-2006)
View: Beers (36) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
rickyleepotts

Arizona

This bottle looks so familiar to me… I just can’t place it. The beer isn’t that old. They just started brewing in 2005, and this bottle was actually bottled in March of 2011. There is a sticker on the side of the bottle. This bottle was bottled on 3-16-11 and is a part of batch 752. I wish more beers did that. Adds a nice touch to it.

I was chatting with Jake on Twitter, and while he isn’t here to enjoy this bottle conditioned beer with us, he is here in spirit. Let’s see what this beer is all about.

(Please note I am drinking a Hopslam too… so let’s get through this because I doubt it even comes close to that delicious beer!)

In the Glass: It looks like a wheat beer in the glass. It’s gold and cloudy, and reminds me of a wit beer. The head is nice though, and I can tell that this beer will provide nice lace. For such a young beer, less than a year old, the beer stands up for a solid brew.

Nose: At first, there isn’t much nose. But if you stick your nose down into the glass, it gets good. I smell dirt. That’s a good thing though. This is a farmhouse ale after all. That is the brettanomyces I am smelling. I do, as the beer warms up, get a “pop” that I expect on a wheat beer.

Flavor: There is a TON of carbonation on this beer. Holy cow. That’s like drinking a diet soda with a mouth full of pop rocks. That is a TON of bubbles. It’s almost too much to be honest. The bubbles are overwhelming. I have had champagne that wasn’t this carbonated. It sort of takes away from the flavor on the from of the palate.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is awful. There are so many bubbles I don’t even want to finish the glass. As the beer explodes on the front, middle, and back of the tongue there is some subtle bitterness on the corners of the palate, but the bubbles are all I can think of. When I swallow, the flavors start to kick in… but the bubbles take so much away from the beer.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste will provide the most flavor you get from this beer. The bubbles, and I know I keep going back to them, are just horrible. Now… let me rephrase that. They don’t make the beer horrible. They make the beer experience horrible. I wanted this to be smooth, loaded with flavor. A beer with this low of an ABV isn’t something I will order all the time, but I couldn’t pay more than a few bucks for this if it was on special.

The beer isn’t bad… but the bubbles are ALL I can think about. So if you like a beer that is loaded with carbonation, this is the beer for you. The most I have found in a beer to date. Not sure I could drink this one again. I will finish the glass, but that’s as far as I can go.

01-20-2012 02:52:07 | More by rickyleepotts

06-26-2014 01:01:47 | More by ndclimber
angelmonster

Colorado

3.86/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This review is from a bomber dated May 2013

Pours a cloudy, yellow body. Head is two fingers and pearly white. Head retention was good and lacing was outstanding.

Smell is of tart lemon rind, peppery Belgian yeast, and abit of straw malt/barnyard funk. Alcohol aroma is slightly present.

Taste is of sour, Belgian yeast, some lemon peel too. Pale malts are also there but hops aren't detected. Alcohol is very light and there is a slight bandaid aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side. Lots of effervescence, also astringent/tannic. Head added some smoothness to beer.

Overall, this was a tasty, lighter style beer. Beautiful to look at but the bandaid and funk flavors just didn't combine well for this particular beer. Very easy to drink the bomber but don't think I'll be revisiting this one anytime soon.

06-23-2014 01:25:04 | More by angelmonster

06-15-2014 16:01:07 | More by fishguyac
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

3.59/5  rDev -8.2%

750ml bottle. Creepy that a beer named in honour of one's favourite pooch having a near-death car accident experience is called 'Bam'. Anyways, they need to shore up the grammar on their label goings-on: '...and is brewed for those of us who knocked down, have picked up, dusted off, and carried on...' Can I get me a freaking extra comma?

This beer pours, well it doesn't 'pour', in the traditional sense of the word, it merely foams, in the ration of, oh, I dunno, 100-1, or so, in head to liquid. Fucking hell. So, the head turns out nice and puffy, rocky, chunky, and playfully frothy, and leaves, it leaves, well I'll get back to you on that. Ok, back again after checking my email and hitting the can, I can now see some random chunky, splattered sudsy lace remains around the glass.

It smells of sharp, estery yeast, somewhat metallic, but mostly just salt of the earth (I know, there's metal in salt), spicy white pepper, zesty lemon pie, doughy pale malt, tart white wine, musty tanned leather, a hint of generic funk, and earthy, herbal, and floral hops. The taste is edgy, moderately funky yeast, dry orchard fruit - apple, pear, and maybe a hint of dried apricot - rather subdued pale grainy and wheaty malt, understated white and black and green peppercorns, an isolated lemon rind astringency, and leafy, weedy, and mildly grassy hops.

The carbonation is quite tight, astringent, and upper palate-probing, the body a veritable lightweight, with a smoothness that can only be described as well, battle-scarred. It finishes rather dry, the yeast, bitter citrus, and wan pale malt not really interested in anything beyond.

I know bottle conditioning is a 'thing', but sometimes it just goes too far. I'm a reasonably patient man, but this sort of shit just doesn't pass the smell test (well, it does, actually, as that's all I can do to this beer for a long while once I've poured it). Pretty? Yes. Pretty wanky? Even more so. While I have nothing bad to say about the flavour or overall bearing of this offering, shitty presentation just has that cranky, negative effect on me.

06-13-2014 02:01:55 | More by biboergosum
SHODriver

Louisiana

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

Bottled on 4/11/2013

A: poured int oa duvel tulip to a bright yellow that's a little hazed with a monstrous dense and fluffy white head that has excellent staying power and great lacing
S: smell is barnyard, funk, oak tannins, and a little sour lemon
T: taste is sour lemon, funk, oak, and slight spice. swallow is slight band aidm a hint of tartness and oak
M: this beer sits fairly light on the palate with slightly prickly carbonation and a
O: It's a great beer and everything works really well together. Jolly Pumpkin consistently produces beers with a nice funk and sourness to them.

06-12-2014 02:49:52 | More by SHODriver