Bam Bière - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: nomad on 02-04-2006

Reviews: 622 | Hads: 1,283
4.97/5  rDev +26.5%

Wow, wow, wow. Bam Biere is simply mindblowing!
Pours a beautiful golden/orange, lots of frothy head, takes its time to disappear; goodly amount of sediment in the bottom. Wonderful yeasty and citrusy aroma. This will be my beer of summer for sure! Some light lemon/citrus mixed with a "barnyardy" (I stole this term from someone else, it's perfect!)essence, very dry finish, yet unbelievably refreshing! Only 4.5%, an awesome session beer, I'll be drinking a lot of this one. A refreshing change from the abundance of 9%-ers lately.
Once again, the Captain at Jolly Pumpkin proves his little brewery to possibly be the best in the state of Michigan, and certainly one of the best in the Midwest. (698 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +26%

Perfect 2/3 beer, 1/3 head pour. Cloudy orange with a fantastic lacy white head.

Rich, fruity esters dominate the smell. Fresh lemon zest and hints of coriander.

Dry pineapple and rich coriander flavors dance on the tongue. Ends with an assertive enough hop presence.

This takes Belgian style carbonation to another plane of existence. Very carbonated, a bit too much, otherwise awesome. I'm very impressed with this beer, I believe it rivals many Belgian saison offerings. (482 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

Bottle from Louisville Beer Store: 1pt 9.4 fl oz batch 367/368. Sweet honey and barnyard brettanomyces with citrus fruit. Tall rocky white head that lingers and leaves lacing on the glass. Sweet malt, lemony citrus and bitter brett flavor that last into the long finish. (270 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

Undated 12oz poured into a tulip.

Cloudy golden orange with a tall frothy head of white that shows strong retention and leaves clumps and wisps of lace as it goes down.

The nose has an amazing balance of sour acidic apples, lemon zest, white grapes that are getting past ripe, oak, cinnamon, grassy hops, barnyard funk, old nails, and sugars. Wow! a five!

The taste is tart with a good kick from the brett. It doesn't seize up my taste buds, rather it allows the juicy fruit flavors of the apples and grapes that the nose promised. The earthy character comes through as somewhat dusty with some chalk and wood. The grassy hop flavors come in towards the back and lead into a pleasantly dry finish. Again, amazing.

Medium to full mouth that is a little puckerya and enjoys a good dose of the carbonation tingles. This is the most complex and flavorfull session beer to ever pass my lips. I strongly recommend this incredible beer. (941 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +24.4%

12-oz bottle, Sampled February 2006
Pours an incredibly hazy, orangish-yellow color. It is well carbonated, which produces a pale tan colored, frothy, fairly dense, almost meringue like head that leaves a coat of lacing on the sides as I work my way through this beer. Ah, the aroma is exactly what I hoped; lightly tart, with a bit of lemon, plus a solid funkiness that reminds me a bit of damp (perhaps even slightly moldy) cotton, and a slight farmhouse cheese note. There is also a real nice floral aspect to the aroma, which makes me think of a field of fragrant wildflowers. As I delve more into this, some spicy character begins to become noticeable; I get notes of white pepper, some definite orange peel, a hint of spicy ginger. The aroma on this beer is really nice, incredibly complex and definitely wild with funky aromatic notes that make this outstanding.

The taste is light up front, with a hint of sweetness in this pretty much bone dry beer. As the beer passes through it starts to pick up that funkiness that was found in the nose; I would describe it as a lightly astringent, with a solid funky brett-like note of musty blankets, which carries through to a long finish. There is also a really nice light acidic tartness to this beer that has note of soft lemon and a bit of Curacao orange flesh to it as well.

The aroma is definitely the best aspect of this beer, everything else is world class as well though. I have really become a sucker for these low alcohol, yeast & wee-beastie flavor driven profiles. They are so refreshing, yet fully complex and interesting. (1,592 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +23.4%

Just split a bottle with my brother. Pours with a giant white, frothy head, which dissipates pretty quick but leaves some lacing. Color is a nice pale gold, clear but definitely some yeasties swimming around. Very pleasantly surprised after smelling this one. I've had a fair share of saisons and some Jolly Pumpkin beers, and was hoping this would be a bit sour and funky. Well, the smell indicates that it will. A bit lemony with a hint of 'armpit' (in a good way), earthy and maybe some faint hops. Taste is a nice mix of some earthy, spicy yeast with a good amount of crisp malt afterwards, with a nice sour finish. Mouthfeel is very lively - lots of carbonation but not excessively thin. My only gripe is that there is a massive amount of yeast sludge floating in the bottom of the bottle which gets into the glass (even after a timid pour).

Ok, I love sour beers, but this is now my favorite saison. I always loved Fantome since it was one of the more 'sour' saisons, but Bam Biere reigns supreme for me now. If I was a Belgian farmhand working in the fields in the summer, this is what I'd reach for. (1,108 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +22.6%

This is a very underrated Jolly Pumpkin beer. This is the perfect beer for outdoor summer drinking. I think I could easily put down a six pack during a session of mini-golf style croquet in the backyard. I can't picture anybody not loving this.

The color is yellow and fairly hazy. It foams out of the bottle upon opening, so be careful. Subsequently, it takes forever for this beer to settle out during the pour. Has a very effervescent head that both retains well and laces the glass beautifully.Nice carbonation. Beware the sediment in the bottom. I caught it just as it was starting to come out of the neck of the bottle, and it looked very buggy.

The beer has a wonderful hop bouquet. Subtle spiciness and herbal grassiness. Combined with the light dry tartness (smells brett), the beer can damn near quench your thirst by smell alone. Nice hay-like malt aroma also adds to it.

The taste is frickin phenomenal. Carries on very well from the nose, but the sensory experience is very much heightened on the palate. Starts with a great bitter/sweet flavor and dries off ever so gently with a beautiful flowery taste.

The body is light, but the palate is very complex. Hard to describe the perfection. Drinkability is off the charts. Hopefully John's Grocery got a lot of this stuff in, because I am going to drink the shit out of it.

Touching story on the side of the bottle to boot. Can't recommend this beer enough. (1,434 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +21.4%

Batch 367

A - Beautiful golden hue, slightly hazy, and capped with a thick white Duvel-like head.

S - As soon as I pour it, I am ecstatic. Big tart notes ranging from sour peach to green pear to Calabrese olives are immediately emanating from the glass. Granny Smith apples, limon zest, and Betadine tincture show up for the party fashionably late.

T - Medicinal, ginger, band-aid, tart pear and peach. Tart and sweet, and with a very nice golden ale base that features a nice mineral-y pale malt and some green grassy hop, although the base is radically transformed by the JP funk. As I drink more, I get distinct citric acid and navel orange flavors, ever so subtle, but distinct. Towards the end of the bottle, my yeast-driven impressions of funk have subsided to a degree, and I can appreciate the malt and hop of a very delicious golden ale base.

M - Mouthwatering, softly carbonated and slightly creamy but still hugely bright. As good as feel gets. 6 out of 5.

D - I could drink this all day every day, it is infinitely drinkable. (1,042 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

My first Jolly Pumpkin.

Poured into a Duvel glass, three finger off white head, cloudy with bits of yeast and other who knows what floating around.

Smell is very fruity and astringent.

Taste is a bit tart with green apple and light cherry, but quickly smooths out to a nice light vanilla bread malt.

Mouthfeel is amazing, wet enough to know you're drinking something, but dries out in the end, leaving you wanting another sip.

I have little to no experience with sours, but do with saisons. I like this as a drink, but to classify as a saison would be hard, but that is the beauty in saisons, almost anything goes. As far as I am concerned, these guys have something going on that no one else does. Cheers (711 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

Pours out a slightly hazed and brassed golden color with tons of carbonation reaching towards the 3/4" bleached white head. Tart and funky brett notes are overwhelming in the nose with some toasty malt, as well as perfume-like floral notes and stone fruits. The funk seems a little more toned down in the flavor, which works more as an accent to the beer. I get some mild fruity esters mixed with crackery pale malts, a good overall tartness, and a bit of citrus pith. Finish is extremely dry and ends with some floral accents. Jasmine and ligustrum stay trapped on my palate long after each sip. Mouthfeel is really light (almost a little too light for me) and the carbonation is exceptionally lively. Amazing drinker. Completely refreshing and interesting, which is what I ultimately look for in a beer. (805 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

A: Billowy ivory head; cloudy straw color

S: Stong spiced aroma, with some clove and some citrus. Sweet, with slight hints of barnyard.

T: Hops upfront, but not overpowering; dry malt character, with dry finish. Grassy notes, some spiciness (nutmeg), some earthiness (barnyard). Lots of yeast character. Funky, earthy flavors dominate as it warms.

M: Big carbonation, explodes in mouth.

D: A lot going on, but spiciness and dry finish dance well together. This beer is sold by the sixer. I couldn't have more than one or two a night, but could see having it on hand as an occasional reward. (602 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +19.6%

Batch 337

My very first Farmhouse!

A- poured a golden yellow with a big head, good retention

S- Sour, little fruit maybe

T- Sour, what I take to be a good representation of a farmhouse after reading other reviews

M- bubbly, also what I take to be a good representation of the style

D- Very drinkable, refreshing

Can't wait to try the Bam Noir Dark Farmhouse Ale I've got. (378 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the tap into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Beer pours a lightly hazed yellow goldenrod with a finger thick head of creamy foam with tiny bubbles rising from the bottom. Lacing is ample. I must have the hookup on lacing today.

Smell- Brettanomyces funk that I love from Jolly Pumpkin so much. Lemony sweetness giving way to light hopping. Sours come back with a light sweetness that isn't in any way similar to Belgian candi sugars.

Taste- Sweet saison funkiness along with a little Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings soul funk. Tart, sparkling, lemony citrus rind lingers and goes down smooth for the summertime. A hint of Jolly Rancher candy apple on the finish but still drying.

Mouthfeel- Creamy, light, effervescent, smooth, lightly sour, medium-light bodied, and highly carbonated.

Drinkability- Better on tap than in the bottle in terms of drinkable sweetness. (882 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +19.3%

12 oz. into my New Belgium goblet. Picked up a six pack at Bruisin Ales in Asheville summer '07.

a = hUgE white foamy head fills my goblet atop a cloudy golden yellow beer. Only able to pour 6 oz. at first. Settles to a soapy cap leaving gobs of cob web-like lace.

s = hell yeah. Bam!- in your nose funk. Lambic like funk all the way. Seriously. Berry tartness, barnyard, lemon/grapefruit, spices. I cannot pick out everything but I know I dont want to take my nose outta the glass.

t = Sour and tart with oak. Delicious, refreshing, complex. Puckering at first with a dry oak finish.

m = Carbonated and tingly. Highly active and medium bodied, awesome.

d = Funk yeah! I really do not remember the fresh bottles being this complex and enjoyable- and at 4.5%? Saison you say? Fooled me. I'd easily crack another if I wasnt saving them to share.

notes = One year ago this was my girls favorite beer. She has since been introduced and devoted to gueuze and unblended lambics. She was on to something...
Beer is too subjective to demand- but take a second lap if you pass this one in the store. It is just Bam good. (1,120 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +19.1%

Twelve ounce brown bottle, no dates.

Darker side of straw gold. Fast moving lines of carbonation. Fluffy white head, retains well & leaves a good bit of patchy lace clinging to the glass.

Nose is 2 parts sour funk, 1 part fruit party, 1/2 part musty earth, & 1/2 part what are you doing smelling this still?

Eathy, rustic, a touch of spice, and subtle fruit all interplay nicely. Dry finish. Light bodied, airy. A showstopper. (435 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured into a Duvel tulip. Golden straw coloured with a massive chunky white head. Nose- fantastic smell of wood and vinegar sourness. Creates a pavlovian reaction in my mouth as I'm drooling to get into this beer. Taste- very subtle brew, citrus sourness, with light pale malts. Woody dryness, but still a juicy tanginess. Wonderfully crafted and amazingly flavourful for <5% beer. Mouthfeel is light bodies, but still has a creamy texture. Drinkability is through the roof. I could drink pail after pail of this stuff. One of my favourite beers. (550 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +18.3%

12oz tulip on draught at fine establishment. A very lively pour, so much so that the bartender had to let the beer sit for a minute or two to give me an honest glassful. After that the beer settles nicely into the glass with a huge and long-lived head, atop a bright orange biere. Fresh and lively, inviting. This beer is all about the fresh and the lively - zippy aroma of fresh grains, light grassy hops, and a slight musty funk. Subtly complex yet maintaining a simple, straightforward quench and drinkability factor. Nice woodsy funk, slightly sour, dry and earthy, slight hints of soap and bitter hop, lemony fresh and light grains. Real dang tasty. Finishes dry and refreshing. Quite possibly a perfect beer. Jolly Pumpkin embraces the barrel and so should you. (767 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +18.3%

Clear bright gold with an extremely fine, rocky bright white head that sits and stays throughout the pint leaving nice lacing.

Incredibly complex nose of sour citrus and peppery, clovey spiciness. Malt lurks underneath providing crackery support. Amazing nose.

Razor sharp sourness leads the palate, slicing through crisp maltiness. The spicy yeast notes run rampant, but perhaps outweigh the malt leading to a bit of an imbalance, but this is still really, really good.

Microscopic carbonation washes everything away a bit quickly, but makes this beer an outstanding companion to spicier foods. The palate may not quite live up to the nose, but I can't think of many beers that could. Drinkability is off the charts with food, and just fine for a session. (759 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +18.3%

I'm a sucker for Jolly Pumpkin and this beer is no exception.

A: Pours a hazy yellow with a fizzy achromatic head.

S: Sour with strong notes of apricot and field apples.

T: Tastes like apple cider in the fall, and Jolly Rancher candy with a complex wild sourness.

MF: Light and smooth with a sour bite and a light bitter finish.

D: Complex yet quenching and thoroughly enjoyable to quaff. (403 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +17.8%

This brew pours a hazy pale orange color. The head is massive, billowly, and doens't recede. Instead, it just sits there, and eventually breaks apart into thick chunks which stick to the sies of the glass. The aroma is of citrus, pollen, flower shop, oak, and has a nice tart/sour edge. The taste is like the aroma, but a little less expresive, and with a nice refreshing bitterness in the arftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lively, fine carbonation, and a smooth velvety texture. Overall, this is a wonderful beer, and at 4.5% ABV I could session this for quite a while without getting bored. (607 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +17.3%

Overall, a very complex beer that will make you sit up and pay attention, without the "hop assault" and other exaggerated, attention-getting taste traumas. In fact, Bam Biere is the rare sort of brew that combines complexity and nuance with great drinkability.

I'll leave it to you to sort out your own impressions, but I get a nose of fresh fruits and vegetables that makes me think of a farmer's market. The taste is an almost Thai balance between the sweet and sour, leaning a bit toward the latter. Drink it carefully and you'll notice an initial impression on the tip of the tongue, where we taste sweetness and saltiness, and on the back sides, where we detect sour notes. (See http://library.thinkquest.org/05aug/00386/taste/index.htm)

This sort of intriguing complexity is rather hard to unwrap. If you are like me, you just think "aha" at first, and then you challenge yourself to specify why this has appeal to you.

By all means, seek this one out. You won't regret it! (983 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

After having this beer I have decided that I am going to put Saisons into 2 classifications: The first is the more traditional Belgian style with delicate taste, the other is a less traditional American influenced style that is more full flavored and sweet. This beer was the best American representation of the aforementioned traditional Belgian classification.

I poured this into my Duvel tulip and it almost looked like a Duvel. Hazy golden coloring with a chimney of carbonation rising like crazy through the center producing an amazing white head. The head very slowly beings to fall and become more dense and it leaves rocky chunks that don't move for the rest of the drink. The lacing that sticks to the sides also stays in place of the entire time. The smell is very full and rich with metallic, rubbery hops, spicy cloves, rich citrus, and sticky sweet candi sugar. The taste is completely different than the smell: The flavor is much more delicate and thin than the sticky sweet smell. There is a Co2 tastes that comes from the wild carbonation that is backed and twisted with the metallic Belgian hop addition. The first thing this reminded me of was when I had my Saison DuPont last month. I could also see similarities with this beer and Orval, minus the Orval Brett funk. One of the best things about this beer is that it is a session saison. These are so hard to come by. The price is a little steep, but it tastes like more expensive imports to me. A true fit to the authentic Belgian Saison style. (1,515 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +17%

I've noticed a recent stockpile of Jolly Pumpkin hitting the shelves of my usual stops in the LA area....great news to me. Careful with the pour in this saison as the head can get away from you fast. A bit of a haze going on in this otherwise golden brew. Lots of active carbonation and sea foam type whispy head that leaves strands and chunks of lace.

Quite and subtle in the nose. Don't let this fool you as the first drink grabbed every taste bud and did the tango. Dance baby Dance. Carbonation really crispens this baby up, almost fizzy at times. This is a high end spiced up brew, light fruitiness although everpresent takes a back seat to the spices. Has the mouth of a dry champagne. Bigtime funky, but once again it leans towards that dry spiced up goodness...

Notes: Highly reccomended. You pay for what you get and in this case its well worth it. This is one of those beers that is a "MUST HAVE", seek it out, trade, drive, fly, You Must Try This Beer. The best part is its great in the heat, complex, ans SESSIONABLE! (1,035 characters)

Wow.
When i imagine what a really funky saison should taste like this is what i am picturing.
Pours a slightly hazy light gold color with an amazing sticky white head that sits on the beer like meringue. Retention is top notch and the head leaves sticky lace on the inside of my tulip glass.
The aroma is full of apple and pear like esters with some nice dry bready malts floating around there and a hint of horseblanket on the finish.
The taste begins with a hint of sourness that segues into the fruity and malty driven flavors. Overall the beer is a journey in a glass as the first sip leads into a complex blend of esters, funk, dry malt flavor, and a strange clean refreshing character.
Thin mouthfeel this is simply a part of the refreshing quality of the brew the carbonation is full and lends a nice effervescence to the flavor.
Overall very fun and very drinkable. (877 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours with enormous head, hazy golden straw is the color. Light and funky aroma. Slight spice.

Tastes very refreshing, and light when the beer is cold, complexity comes as it warms. This beer is definitely hoppy, I think this was oaked too. The sour acidity hits the sides of my tongue towards the back, does that mean the acidity is lactic? There are spices evident, but they blend in so well that they almost go unnoticed. This beer becomes very dirty and funky as it continues to warm.

Mouthfeel is highly effervescent with small bubbles. With such a low ABV, this beer is eternally drinkable. (604 characters)

Bam Bière from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales