1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Bam Bière - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Bam BièreBam Bière

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: nomad on 02-04-2006)

ryanw111182, Mar 15, 2012

Gavini, Oct 19, 2012

reedmn, Nov 09, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -61.6%

Motozappa, Mar 06, 2012
1.88/5  rDev -51.9%

First off, I love Jolly Pumpkin ales but unfortunately this was not a strong offering. Appearance is cloudy yellow-gold with a massive rocky white head. Aroma is of lemons, saltines, and that distinct tart aroma of lactic bacteria. Tasting this beer was like biting into a lemon wedge but not quite as sour or tart. Mouthfeel is medium light and way too thin for a saison and there's a distinct flavor of lactic bacteria which is also off for the style. I could not smell, taste or detect any hops at all because of the sourness and tartness. Finish is harsh and the effevescent carbonation actually intensifies the off-flavors as I swallow the beer. Clearly a cross-contamination happened here, but it won't stop me from reaching for a Jolly Pumpkin beer. I'll just select a different beer from their line-up.

beerkittycat, Aug 13, 2008
1.9/5  rDev -51.4%

smells great , honey, wild yeast, slight sour, citrus, spice

Hazy golden yellow with flakes of yeast, big rocky white head

Taste is very mild, underwhelming, slightly watery

Light body, dry finish, high carbonation

Not a fan. Very low flavor profile.

rcmooney, Apr 18, 2013
1.98/5  rDev -49.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

From a 750 ml bottle (bottled 12-28-10) into a snifter. It looks like unfiltered apple cider, but with a fluffy, off-white head. About 1.5cm of sediment-loaded liquid was left in the bottle.

Smell: Wild yeast with a bit of a brett. Slightly sour and floral.

Taste: mild for style, with lingering Brett and wild yeast, leather, earthy hops and some lemon. Mildly sour and fruity.

M: Light, watery body; semi-dry; tart.

O: rather mild flavor; not a bad thing for the Brett component. Bretty/earthy/funky beers your kind of thing? ... then this one’s for you. For me, it's barely drinkable, at best.

chinchill, Apr 16, 2013

FreshmanPour77, Nov 23, 2011

jaxray8, Jan 09, 2012

chippo33, Mar 13, 2013

This bottle looks so familiar to me… I just can’t place it. The beer isn’t that old. They just started brewing in 2005, and this bottle was actually bottled in March of 2011. There is a sticker on the side of the bottle. This bottle was bottled on 3-16-11 and is a part of batch 752. I wish more beers did that. Adds a nice touch to it.

I was chatting with Jake on Twitter, and while he isn’t here to enjoy this bottle conditioned beer with us, he is here in spirit. Let’s see what this beer is all about.

(Please note I am drinking a Hopslam too… so let’s get through this because I doubt it even comes close to that delicious beer!)

In the Glass: It looks like a wheat beer in the glass. It’s gold and cloudy, and reminds me of a wit beer. The head is nice though, and I can tell that this beer will provide nice lace. For such a young beer, less than a year old, the beer stands up for a solid brew.

Nose: At first, there isn’t much nose. But if you stick your nose down into the glass, it gets good. I smell dirt. That’s a good thing though. This is a farmhouse ale after all. That is the brettanomyces I am smelling. I do, as the beer warms up, get a “pop” that I expect on a wheat beer.

Flavor: There is a TON of carbonation on this beer. Holy cow. That’s like drinking a diet soda with a mouth full of pop rocks. That is a TON of bubbles. It’s almost too much to be honest. The bubbles are overwhelming. I have had champagne that wasn’t this carbonated. It sort of takes away from the flavor on the from of the palate.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is awful. There are so many bubbles I don’t even want to finish the glass. As the beer explodes on the front, middle, and back of the tongue there is some subtle bitterness on the corners of the palate, but the bubbles are all I can think of. When I swallow, the flavors start to kick in… but the bubbles take so much away from the beer.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste will provide the most flavor you get from this beer. The bubbles, and I know I keep going back to them, are just horrible. Now… let me rephrase that. They don’t make the beer horrible. They make the beer experience horrible. I wanted this to be smooth, loaded with flavor. A beer with this low of an ABV isn’t something I will order all the time, but I couldn’t pay more than a few bucks for this if it was on special.

The beer isn’t bad… but the bubbles are ALL I can think about. So if you like a beer that is loaded with carbonation, this is the beer for you. The most I have found in a beer to date. Not sure I could drink this one again. I will finish the glass, but that’s as far as I can go.

rickyleepotts, Jan 20, 2012
2.17/5  rDev -44.5%

bam biere farmhouse ale by jolly pumpkin artisan ales llc

pale apricot color. gigantic frothy head, leaves occasional tufts of soapsud lace.

smells of tart fruit, vinegar, lots of lemon, but also a strong medicinal off smell.

taste is tart but not so extreme as say a berliner weisse. there's that medicinal aspect, i suppose from the yeast. having a very hard time enjoying this beer.

body is light but not crisp.

seems a lot like watered down lemon cough syrup, and not very good cough syrup. i gave it a chance and sipped it for half an hour, but for the most part ... yuck.

brewmudgeon, Oct 05, 2008
2.17/5  rDev -44.5%

12 ounce bottle, ~$2.00 from Hi Times in Costa Mesa, poured into beer clean pint glass. Bought this one because I wanted to taste a Jolly Pumpkin brew before risking a 750ml, and this was the only 12 ounce available. Glad I did.

Damn near exploded upon opening; managed to pour (gently) about an inch into the glass before needing to wait a few minutes, since the huge rocky white foam was up to the top. Took several pours to get a decent amount into the glass, and then wait for the head to go down enough so I could drink the liquid. Even now, ~20 minutes in, there is vigorous bubbling of carbonation.

Pours a bright yellow, retains an active rocky rolling head. The 3.5 appearance score is after it settled for 20 minutes; if I'd scored it initially, it's nearly impossible to drink straight after opening.

Aroma is sour and tangy, with hints of phenolic/plastic. Doesn't bode well.

Initial taste is much like the aroma hinted: sour, tart, puckery tangy, and distinctly band-aid phenolic. Pretty unpleasant, frankly. The sour plastic taste and tingly mouthfeel linger, and even eating some plain bread in between doesn't totally get rid of the sourness. Dry indeed, and here the influence of the brett really isn't pleasant, as it is in other beers I've had. Pucker is fine with me, mouth twistingly sour is not. Tangy is fine, funk is not.

Now, I know farmhouse style ales are designed to be tart, but this is over the top tartness compared to any other Saison I've had (which is somewhere around 8 to 10.) This is so excessively tart and sour that I'm not sure I want to finish it, which is a shame, and really something for me. I'm going to go sit on my porch in the late afternoon sun and think about it as a lawnmower beer.

Nope, didn't like this much at all, either for style, or overall. Seems like a lot of other people's comments mirror mine, yet they rate it higher. Guess it's just a matter of taste...

warmstorage, Jun 20, 2006
2.28/5  rDev -41.7%

12 oz bottle. Pours murky yellow with a smallish white head that quickly recedes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing. There's lots of chunky yeasties.

The aroma is musty yeast, lemongrass a little vegetables and spices.

The flavor is earthy yeast and lingering grassy hops with a little pepper and fruits and some hard to identify off notes (charred plastic?). The mouthfeel is rather thin and watery.

Overall, this just does not do it for me. Definitely my least favorite from an interesting brewery.

Beaver13, Jun 27, 2007
2.38/5  rDev -39.1%

This beer pours a nice hazy blonde with yeasties o-plenty, per the style. The smell is fruity, funky and sour. Taste - blech! This is a drain pour. It has to be ruined somehow. I know farmhouses are funky, but this is nasty. Something has gone awry - terribly awry. At least, that is my hope. Surely this can't be right. The carbonation is fine, but the taste - a rotting fruit, that is both sickening and overly sour - makes this undrinkable. Super dry, and ending with a nasty metallic taste. Ugh... I will have to try another one. This one blows chunks.

kingjames1, Apr 03, 2009
2.42/5  rDev -38.1%

BeerFMAndy decided to share this beer with me. Thanks(I think).

The beer pours a crystal clear golden yellow with an enormous white head that nearly escapes my glass. The head rests on top like a thick dollop of whipped cream and just sort of camps out. It litterally hung around for several minutes. Decent lace rings are left in its wake (looks can be decieving)

The aroma is a whirlwind of olfactory dichatamies. I picked out a strong woody aroma. Then that changed to black pepper mixed with apples. This then faded to a funky barnyard, wet straw mix. I then picked up a black earth grassy tone in the finish. Very complex.

The flavor is WTF! Super dry an tart. This reminds me of perrie sparkling water. Light black pepper and a hint of yeast. There really isn't even a whole lot of flavor period. Just what is there is as foul as I've ever tasted. We passed this beer along to other people in the house and got the same reaction so it wasn't just me. I believe someone said it tasted like "having perfume sprayed in your mouth." I've had plenty of saisons and this ain't what I remember one tasting like.

The body was medium to light with moderate carbonation. Dry dry dry. The Sahara desert thinks this beer is dry.

Overall the look and the smell were fine. That's the only redeeming qualities of this beer. Never again. Drain pour city! I hate it when someone cracks a beer with you and it turns out horrible. Sorry Andy.

beerwolf77, Dec 17, 2009
2.42/5  rDev -38.1%

Appearance - Cloudy. Burnt yellow/gold color with a super bright, white, soapy, fluffy head. Had some very nice retention and lacing. Looks pretty good in the glass.

Smell - The aroma is definitely a puzzler. It has the spice of pepper and maybe some clove, but I'm detecting what I think might be a sour lemon or something. It almost had a funky nursing home, stale urine type of smell. Not very pleasing to me.

Taste - The taste had a bitter, tart lemon flavoring. Leads of bitterness to make me pucker up. Some spice of pepper and clove. This also is very sour. Maybe a bit too much for me at this point.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel was primarily medium. Left plenty on the palate. Somewhat watery and could be refreshing under the correct circumstances.

Drinkability - Well, this was my first Saison, so maybe I was caught a little off gaurd by the aroma and taste. Maybe just a touch too sour for me. My palate must not be ready for this style. I'm sure some love it and maybe I will revert back to this and give it a second review when I have had more experience with this style of beer. As for now, this is not a beer I would want on a regular basis.

Shrews629, Feb 14, 2011

Dave2234, Aug 26, 2013

DonFrap, Aug 15, 2012

mrfrancis, Jul 12, 2013

fredmugs, Apr 01, 2013
2.55/5  rDev -34.8%

Appearance-Straw Colored and very hazy with a huge frothy white head.

Smell-Very citrusy and tart aroma.

Taste-A very strong tart lemony taste. Could not taste much else.

Mouthfeel-It was very light bodied and very dry tasting with a blast of carbonation on the tongue.

Overall-I'm not real sure what to think of this beer. This is the first beer of this style that I've tried, so maybe I wasn't prepared for how sour tasting it was going to be. Don't think I would buy again.

clint1019, Aug 09, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -34%

Got this as an extra in a trade from yem25 - thanks! This is my first of this stle, Farmhouse Ale.

A - cloudy translucent golden yellow color with a thick foamy head. Bubbles form a ring between the head and glass. Nice lacing.

S - Strong fresh zesty sour lemon, hints of yeast

T - Pow! The first sip woke me up. Tart! Goes along great with the smell, a sour yeast with hints of lemon and dry hops. The taste is thin and flat carried off quickly by the carbonation.

M - Thin and refreshing feeling, washes away nicely. Great carbonation.

D - To sweet and sour for me, this was hard to finish.

Yesac, Jun 27, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -32.7%

22 oz bottle split with Beerwolf77. Poured into my Unibroue tulip. Batch 401 sticker on the back. No other info.

Thanks to Sweemzander for this bottle! Haven't had Jolly Pumpkin before.

A - Totally clear golden yellow with bubbles constantly coming up to a well formed white head. Good retention with moderate lace left on the glass.

S - A light horseblanket funk hides behind a mildly spice pale malt and wheat nose. The most interesting thing about this beer is the hint of salsa. To make it interesting, there is also some weird wet wood too. The nose is all over the place. It changes constantly with the head level.

T - Despite the abundant nose, the flavor is harshly lacking. Very thin and watered down pale malts and a mild spice hint with an insanely dry finish. Where did all the flavor from the nose go?

M - Sparkling like champagne and as thin bodied. Watery with an intensely dry and lightly bitter finish.

D - Not what I was hoping for after the nose. It's not terrible but definitely disappointing for the first Jolly Pumpkin. Maybe it's old?

BeerFMAndy, Dec 18, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -30.2%

A - Poured a cloudy amber with slight lacing. There is also very very little lace but very frothy.

S - Eucalyptus, pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, and some lemon. Its kind of what pine sol would smell like if they used a pumpkin aroma instead of pines.

T - It also has that cleanser kind of taste. It taste like a lemon pumpkin pie.

M - Simple and light. There is also kind of a salty feeling on my tongue.

D - It's light. I couldnt drink this all night. The flavors kind of throw me off.

quasimoto, Feb 25, 2006