Bam Bière - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Bam BièreBam Bière

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: nomad on 02-04-2006)
tonistruth

Nevada

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

A- partly cloudy straw color, ridicously huge frothy, foamy, bubbly white head, awesome retent, little lacing

S- sweet, malty, floral, crisp

T- sweet malts with a solid hop backbone, a tart bite from the middle to finish. Spicy flavors throughout. A lemonish flavor in brew as well.

M- hgih carbonation, light but full bodied, coats palate nicely

D- a fine brew, would go well in place of wine of campange, tasty and very enjoyable. would go easy with many different food combonations

01-15-2007 01:43:34 | More by tonistruth
emerge077

4.55/5  rDev +16.4%

On cask at the Map Room, from notes over the summer.

Pint glass arrives with a honeycomb of irregular bubbles floating atop a deep orange liquid.

Smell is intensely funky yeast with a citrus note following it up.

Taste is tart, smooth, predominately lemon zest, and dry lingering farmhouse funk. Cask conditioning seems to lessen the carbonation, focusing the flavor somewhat. Again, tart citrus, yeast, and maybe a light clove are the major flavors in play.

Mouthfeel is smooth and mellow, not as effervescent as it's bottled counterpart. Saison is characterized by it's zesty carbonation, and on cask it falls a little short in that respect.

Drinkability is good since I had 3 in a row...

12-29-2006 03:04:10 | More by emerge077
joe1510

4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

12oz. Bottle
$11.49 6-Pack

Bam Biere poured a very hazy golden. There was a 2+ finger white frothy head upon the pour that turned chunky and rocky after falling to 1 finger. Fast rising carbonation bubbles rise all over the sides and, I'm guessing, in the middle. The haze makes it tough to tell.

I really like the smell of this one. It's different from saisons I've had in the past. Fresh tart green apples are the first thing that comes about. It's followed by an interesting burst of wildflowers. There is also that smell of straw and horse blanket that is found in other saisons. The yeast spiciness isn't as bold as in other versions.

There is more of the spicy yeast in the flavor. That's the first thing I taste actually. Mid-palate the wildflowers and straw come through. Along with a touch of clove. It's a very soft flavor. The finish is earthy and damp. Unfortuanately it finishes a little weak. As it warms there is a slight pepper spiciness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is good. Prickly carbonation but not overdone. The carbonation makes the body feel lighter than it actually is. Keeps it moving quickly throuh and getting the flavors in quickly before the next takes over.

I can easily sit here and drink a few of these. If it's hot outside or paired with the right meal I could easily drink these one on top of the other. The alcohol keeps it an easy drinker.

Bam Biere is a good quality brew from Jolly Pumpkin. The beers I have tried from them have all been good and interesting. This one follows suit. Give it a try with a chicken or turkey breast.

Slainte!

12-18-2006 00:29:19 | More by joe1510
KevBrews

4.72/5  rDev +20.7%

A: Billowy ivory head; cloudy straw color

S: Stong spiced aroma, with some clove and some citrus. Sweet, with slight hints of barnyard.

T: Hops upfront, but not overpowering; dry malt character, with dry finish. Grassy notes, some spiciness (nutmeg), some earthiness (barnyard). Lots of yeast character. Funky, earthy flavors dominate as it warms.

M: Big carbonation, explodes in mouth.

D: A lot going on, but spiciness and dry finish dance well together. This beer is sold by the sixer. I couldn't have more than one or two a night, but could see having it on hand as an occasional reward.

12-15-2006 19:27:06 | More by KevBrews
Grundle20

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%

Appearance:
It's bronzed golden in color. There is a big pillowy head that has some great retention and clumpy lacing.

Smell:
The scent is a little funky and sour and definitely screams farmhouse. I'm really not enjoying it but I don't think it's necesarilly "bad" for the style.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
I haven't had as many saisons in my life as I have other styles but this beer is far more tart then any of the others I have had. It's tastes like unsweetened apples. The beer is dry, light, and crisp. There's a slight sour funk aftertaste but it's not too awful.

Drinkability:
There's not as much body as I've seen in examples such as Saison Dupont, Foret, or Fantome which actually plays to the favor of this beers drinkability. It's not quite as flavorful as the aformentioned brews which detracts from it's points.

Bottom Line:
It's more tart then other saisons and lacks the body that others do but it's alright.

12-15-2006 16:46:44 | More by Grundle20
Billolick

4.33/5  rDev +10.7%

Enjoyed multiple pints of this nice saison on tap at 3 different spots in the Ann Arbor, Mi. area last weekend. Pours dark apricot, cloudy. With an off white head and leaving loads of fine ringed lacing. Spicy/yeasty nose. Tasty, funked up/brett infused saison. Thoroughly enjoyable, complex, BA worthy saison from the folks of Dexter’s Jolly Pumpkin. Well worth seeking out and enjoying

12-06-2006 01:34:12 | More by Billolick
dherling

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured out a hazy straw color with a fluffy white head. The nose was strong with yeast notes, some delicate fruit and caramel. The taste was fairly simple, yeast mostly, tiny bit of malt, not much to say here. Mouthfeel was highly carbonated, too much. Goes down easy, but a poor finishing flavor.

11-28-2006 06:09:21 | More by dherling
waughbrew

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

Comes in an elegant brown champagne bottle that will soon house my homebrew. Thanks.

Hazy limey-lemon color with a ferocious carbonation that, after decanting circa 4 ounces into a 22 ounce glass, which filled it up, I turned my back for a minute and the bottle still foamed up and over. Yikes, this is a beast. Head collapses down after a few minutes into a mountainous and craterous range of suds. Smells like a rounded mix of citrus fruits, primarily a muted grapefruit, and spices coriander and pepper. Medium body is surprisingly smooth despite the large carbonation. Very dry, crushed Smarties, apple, a mild household cleanser, and a zesty earthiness. This one's got its head in the clouds but its feet on the ground. Fresh and refreshing. The drinkability, while good, is hurt by the large lingering lemoniness.

One of the beauties of this beer is that, to me, it could be nothing but beer. Some beers seem candyish, or chocolaty, or very fruity, or just hops. This has everything present, but in the end the flavor is not very much like anything that I have ever tasted besides, well, beer. A good one that has that special magic.

11-26-2006 01:15:26 | More by waughbrew
benito

Oregon

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

Jolly Pumpkin boasts that their interpretation of a saison made the top 25 cut for Men's Journal's Best Beers of the US. The writers should have done a little more research...

Bam Biere pours from a fun looking bottle with a terrier on the front and pours a pale straw, too light a hue for this style, but billowing, the rocky head makes up for it--mostly. The bouquet is a mix of barnyard and lemon, the latter of which is the dominant, almost overpowering, flavor on the palate. This is a very dry and slightly sour version of a saison, a quality that helps downplay some of the lemony bite, and the final result is a beer that is thirst quenching, if not entirely satisfying.

Like Jolly Pumpkin's Calabaza Blanca, they've got the framework for a great beer here, but the recipe, particularly the balance of flavors, needs some fine tuning. I'd like to see this beer in a few years, as I'm hopeful that Captain Ron and company will be able to broaden the flavors in this brew. Until then, I'll keep drinking La Luciernaga, listed on this website as a Belgian Pale Ale; however, it is clearly a saison, and a better one than Bam Biere.

11-21-2006 04:24:03 | More by benito
Photo of

3.2/5  rDev -18.2%

12oz. bottle purchased at Papago in Phoenix.

Slightly hazy, straw yellow in color. Huge white head - looked like whipped cream. Lots of lacing as I drank.

Aroma was floral hops, rather mild, with spices thrown in. Missing the barnyard/yeast scent. A bit of citrus as well.

Tart and citrusy, too much so for my taste. Not much sweet to balance, either. Spicy, but I could not characterize. This is my second Jolly Pumpkin beer, and both have been too tart for me. Please note that this is different from bitter.

Body was light and highly carbonated. Fairly dry finish.

Overall, OK, but too tart. Very drinkable, just not to my taste.

11-06-2006 20:36:17 | More by
RedHaze

Nebraska

4.18/5  rDev +6.9%

12oz bottle.

Pours a very hazy pale orange, with a thick two finger head that slowly recedes to a dense cap. The subsequent lacing completely covers the inside of my glass.

Smell; starts off with solid citric aromas, with lemons and a touch of oranges, and I'm also picking up a little bit of sour apples. Some mild barnyard funk is present with a touch of vinegar and little horse blanket. Aroma wise, this pretty much falls in line with what I would expect from a Saison.

Taste; the tartness and vinegar that was present in the aroma is there in the flavor, but isn't to strong. As a matter of fact they are very pleasant and fit perfectly with the lemons and oranges, and with a bit of a grassy quality.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability; mouthfeel is medium bodied and very creamy, with a nice smooth natural carbonation, and the drinkability is very good.

11-06-2006 01:48:58 | More by RedHaze
alexgash

Connecticut

4.22/5  rDev +7.9%

Cloudy golden orange with a cobwebby, thick, whipped, off-white head. Looks great! Modest bouquet of sour wheat malt, fruit, a hint of spice, and yeast. Tangy wheat and light fruit malt up front. Refreshingly acidic sour notes mesh well with wittish malt and spice. Medium-bodied, proteiny feel that ends up smooth and goes down very easily. What an interesting little session saison these Dexterians have whipped up. I'll be ordering another soon!

11-02-2006 18:10:28 | More by alexgash
SupaCelt

3.73/5  rDev -4.6%

This beer came out of the bottle with a rather attractive golden colour and a pronounced haziness. A substantial white head has formed, and it is of the dense variety that holds its form whence a pinky finger is dipped in and retracted. It is quite actively carbonated with smallish bubbles. Hunks of lacing cling with tenacity as I drink this down.

The nose is positively enjoyable to whiff. The typical Jolly Pumpkin aroma is well established. This being a tart and sweet characteristic which seems to be notable from my past experiences with the fine fermented products offered from the mahalo people. Sour apple is an apt description of the sweet tartness while the yeast influences contribute a dank and earthy quality. A mild spiciness lingers along with some pepper tones. Mostly fruity. Smells enticing.

The taste is much more light than I had expected. I am quite happy that it is not overly sweet. It has the sour apple character as evidenced by the nose. A bit of dilute lemon juice flavour brings up the rear before a decent dryness sets in. With the dryness, which reminds me much of fruit rind or apple skins, comes a chalky yeast component to effectively exhaust the qualities I can identify. Overall, the flavour seems to be a bit diluted and subdued. It is, nevertheless, an enjoyable concoction.

The mouthfeel follows the flavour and is quite light.

The drinkability is good. The lightness makes this beer an easy drink, and the flavours are mild enough to avoid becoming overbearing. This would be a nice beer to enjoy in the summer in true farmhouse ale tradition. I would say this is most likely a very proper rendition of the style. Another solid product from Jolly Pumpkin.

10-24-2006 01:02:13 | More by SupaCelt
xav33

3.3/5  rDev -15.6%

Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere
12 oz bottle
Recent bottling (?), puckered 10/06
Slow pour in a tulip glass

Poured murky pale orange with a huge rocky fully lasting white head with good lacing.

Smelt of strong sour apples, fresh lemons, soap, cloves or coriander.

Taste was upfront harsh green apple sourness with faint bitter grassiness and spice and faint sweet lemon followed by a perfectly blended albeit light bitter sweet and sour modly taste that dies on a fairly short citrusy finish. Mouthfeel was light bodied, watery then dry, lively fluffy carbonation, with a strong chalky finish.

Overall, a saison that looks and smells wonderful, but attacks the palate and tastebuds too aggressively to achieve a perfect balance.

10-11-2006 05:16:02 | More by xav33
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

Furiously carbonated marigold beneath a Belgianesque cap of light beige foam. The head resembles beer from that country in size certainly, but not in texture. Oops, I spoke too soon. The foam is a little rocky as it deflates and leaves the glass respectably covered with, if not exactly slathered with, meandering streamers of lace. I like the look.

The nose is an appealing mixture of fruit, spice and phenolic farmhouse funk. Too much of the last would have been too much, but it manages to stay on the polite side of the line. So far, I'd say that Jolly Pumpkin has done a more than creditable job with a style that many American brewers seem to have trouble with.

While Bam Biere isn't nearly as deep or as complex as the best Continental saisons, it's no slouch either. A big blast of flavor greets my every mouthful; I just wish that there was more behind the blast. I'm relatively certain that a near doubling of the ABV would effectively solve that problem, but this would then be a different beer entirely.

Unsweet pears and apples lead the way, along with a white peppery spiciness that is only moderately clove-like. There's still a fair amount of Islay whisky-like phenols, but not enough to turn off those who might shy away from such flavors. Bam is impressively dry and crisp. So much so that I'm pretty sure this is a candi sugar-free zone (the sub-5% ABV suggests that as well).

The body/mouthfeel weighs in somewhere between light and medium; it's difficult to tell with all the bubbles. Thankfully, the beer feels lively rather than chaotic and I wouldn't change the amount of carbonation one iota.

Bam Biere is an excellent JP offering and is second only to the outstanding Oro De Calabaza in my opinion. This bottle disappeared in the blink of an eye and I find myself wanting more. I love the idea of a sessionable saison that comes in 12 ounce bottles. I wish more American craft breweries would follow Jolly Pumpkin's example.

10-10-2006 13:50:52 | More by BuckeyeNation
Callenak

4.4/5  rDev +12.5%

Had this a couple times now. Keep stumbling across it and can't pass it up.

Pours a cloudy orange color with a HUGE head. None of them have gushed out of the bottle like that has happened to a few around here, but always a big white head that takes a few minutes to settle down. No worries, gives it time to warm up and I prefer my saison's with a lot of carbonation.

Once the head retreats a little I can pick up the aroma. Fruity with an obvious tartness to it. Yeasty aroma presence too. I'm pretty sure they use brett in this, not sure if it's something the beer picks up from the barrel or if it is added directly to secondary.

Taste is sweet and tart. Very fruity with a slight sourness from the brett. Don’t really pick up on any hops flavoring, they are secondary to the sweetness.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer. Probably the best saison I've had. I've been a big kick of sour beers lately, so really no surprise I was pleased with this offering. Here's to trying many more beers from Jolly Pumpkin.

10-03-2006 16:49:08 | More by Callenak
RBorsato

2.83/5  rDev -27.6%

Tasted bottle on 9/25/06 at Tria Cafe in Philadelphia, PA.
Labbeld as "Bam Biere Farmhouse Ale"

Golden colored with a huge white head and overcarbonated resulting in multiple pours. A funky tart and sour aroma and flavor actually not far from their Wit but a bit funkier and sourer. I would have a hard time other than color telling these apart in a blind tasting. Nothing gets to shine in this one ... malts or hops. Very light bodied and airy due to carbonation.

I normally like saisons but this is not much better than the disasterous Calabaza Blanca ... I thought to myself, "self, try it - it's gotta be better"; but ultimately, not much better. save your $.

Per Label: 4.5% ABV. "Bottle Conditioned and Dry Hopped"

($6.50 / 12 oz. bottle)

09-28-2006 21:09:53 | More by RBorsato
gonzo138

Arizona

3.95/5  rDev +1%

A- pours a rich golden color with a nice frothy white head that both retains and then laces well

S- that same funky belgian farmhouse smell that is for some reason appealing, spicey belgian yeast aroma, crisp

T- complements smell, a little lemon-lime like citrus aftertaste, clean dry taste

M- very dry, intensely carbonated, almost like a dry white wine

D- a good beer, a would definitely buy/drink again, goes down very easily. A semi-rare feat, a belgian style ale from a non-belgian brewery that not only tastes good, but actually tastes like the style it's supposed to be

09-27-2006 07:54:50 | More by gonzo138
instrumentality

3.53/5  rDev -9.7%

I picked this one up from Hi-Times Liquor in Costa Mesa few months back on a recommendation from the guy working the floor.

As usual, I gave it the royal treatment: my Stone Imperial Russian Stout glass. However, it didn't treat me quite so well; as soon as I popped the cap, foam began shooting out of the bottle. I managed to salvage most of the beer, but I had to pour the excess into a standard pint glass and then sift the contents of my IRS glass in a bit at a time.

I was left with a half finger of foam settled on a cloudy copper body.

As compared with my few past saison experiences, the odor of this one was surprisingly sweet (peach?) along with the more familiar biscuity quality.

The flavor was rather interesting, especially considering half the carbonation probably landed three counties away...very slight peachy sweetness, a bit of lime, a bit earthy/biscuity, and an element of pepper. Complex? Yes. Tasty? Not really, but easy to drink, with light alcohol, decent carbonation (still), and a pretty clean finish.

My third saison, this blows away the one Saison Dupont I had, but doesn't hold a candle to the Biere de Miel (also from Dupont). I'm thinking straight saisons might just not be my style.

09-21-2006 01:44:44 | More by instrumentality
proc

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

Pours out to a brownish-gold in the glass with a huge head. The aroma is that of yeast and light plum. The taste is lighter than I expected, with a light fruity tartness to it. Not complex, but then it shouldn't be as the style is quite simple being as its a farmhouse ale. Refreshing.

09-19-2006 12:44:56 | More by proc
tgbljb

The beer exploded from the bottle into my glass with a head that could not be contained. Beautiful bountifel lacing.Smell is banana like, fruity, yeasty. Taste follows through with more fruit and banana, and a strong pepper taste at the finish. Nice full creamy mouthfeel. Nice and pleasant to drink. Extremely refreshing.

09-08-2006 23:49:49 | More by tgbljb
bennetj17

Arizona

4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours yielding a massive foam head which nearly escapes the glass rim. It settles very slowly leaving some nice lace. The color of the beer is a deep gold with nice clarity. A fairly potent aroma of lemon spice dominates the nose with a hint of floral hoppiness also. The taste carries more of the spiced lemon zest which is mildy tart. The flavor doesn't open up to much complexity, however, but does turn to a earthy, dirt-like finish. Very dry, low alcohol. The mouthfeel is rather light, yet fluffy with a good mouthful of carbonation. Very easy to drink. It is perhaps a good session beer considering its low ABV, but not overly unique for Sasion...

09-06-2006 04:44:26 | More by bennetj17
walleye

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%

From the bottle. poured a cloudy golden with a huge fluffy white head. aroma a nice blend sweet spices with some lightly sour citrus fruit a small amount of hops pops out and a nice hit of yeast and pepper. flavor the sourness comes out first, followed by citrus and the pepper, lemon. after working around the house all day this was a nice refreshing beer to wind down with.

09-04-2006 19:22:57 | More by walleye
martymoat

3.95/5  rDev +1%

12 fl oz bottle

A: poured in a snifter, pours golden light brown, cloudy. Head at first is big and frothy looking, then settles into place and retains well.

S: first smell has that true farmhouse smell to it, spicy, peppery, under that a light fruity smell…. Smells delicious.

T: first taste has fruitiness/ hoppiness however the hops more leaning to earthiness rather than floral smelling and bitterness is right there with it. following by this is the spice and malt. taste is surprisingly different than most other jolly pumpkin ales I have tried. I have noticed some tend to have many similarities in them, and with this one I do not see, could it be different fermentation tanks used…?

M: mouthful is light and bubbly, leaves mouth with earthy spicy after taste, goes down smooth

09-04-2006 03:40:08 | More by martymoat
woodychandler

This arrived with a thick, white head above a very cloudy, medium-amber colored beer. The nose was really funky, obviously yeast-driven, with a sour quality to it, like overripe fruit. The mouthfeel was somewhat thin and the taste had a vinous quality, like a dry white wine. The finish was likewise dry, with a lingering aftertaste of that yeasty funk. I have to admit, this was my first Jolly Pumpkin on draft (not cask) and I was disappointed. I got John’s Grocery in Iowa City to sell me a single bottle out of a six-pack just so that I could re-review it. That review has already been posted, so it might be interesting to compare my two reviews. One beer does not change my stance, though. Jolly Pumpkin IS da bomb, yo!

09-02-2006 18:48:19 | More by woodychandler