Bam Bière - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Bam BièreBam Bière

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: nomad on 02-04-2006

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,218 | Reviews: 617
4.23/5  rDev +7.9%

Cloudy golden orange with a cobwebby, thick, whipped, off-white head. Looks great! Modest bouquet of sour wheat malt, fruit, a hint of spice, and yeast. Tangy wheat and light fruit malt up front. Refreshingly acidic sour notes mesh well with wittish malt and spice. Medium-bodied, proteiny feel that ends up smooth and goes down very easily. What an interesting little session saison these Dexterians have whipped up. I'll be ordering another soon!

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

This beer came out of the bottle with a rather attractive golden colour and a pronounced haziness. A substantial white head has formed, and it is of the dense variety that holds its form whence a pinky finger is dipped in and retracted. It is quite actively carbonated with smallish bubbles. Hunks of lacing cling with tenacity as I drink this down.

The nose is positively enjoyable to whiff. The typical Jolly Pumpkin aroma is well established. This being a tart and sweet characteristic which seems to be notable from my past experiences with the fine fermented products offered from the mahalo people. Sour apple is an apt description of the sweet tartness while the yeast influences contribute a dank and earthy quality. A mild spiciness lingers along with some pepper tones. Mostly fruity. Smells enticing.

The taste is much more light than I had expected. I am quite happy that it is not overly sweet. It has the sour apple character as evidenced by the nose. A bit of dilute lemon juice flavour brings up the rear before a decent dryness sets in. With the dryness, which reminds me much of fruit rind or apple skins, comes a chalky yeast component to effectively exhaust the qualities I can identify. Overall, the flavour seems to be a bit diluted and subdued. It is, nevertheless, an enjoyable concoction.

The mouthfeel follows the flavour and is quite light.

The drinkability is good. The lightness makes this beer an easy drink, and the flavours are mild enough to avoid becoming overbearing. This would be a nice beer to enjoy in the summer in true farmhouse ale tradition. I would say this is most likely a very proper rendition of the style. Another solid product from Jolly Pumpkin.

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere
12 oz bottle
Recent bottling (?), puckered 10/06
Slow pour in a tulip glass

Poured murky pale orange with a huge rocky fully lasting white head with good lacing.

Smelt of strong sour apples, fresh lemons, soap, cloves or coriander.

Taste was upfront harsh green apple sourness with faint bitter grassiness and spice and faint sweet lemon followed by a perfectly blended albeit light bitter sweet and sour modly taste that dies on a fairly short citrusy finish. Mouthfeel was light bodied, watery then dry, lively fluffy carbonation, with a strong chalky finish.

Overall, a saison that looks and smells wonderful, but attacks the palate and tastebuds too aggressively to achieve a perfect balance.

Furiously carbonated marigold beneath a Belgianesque cap of light beige foam. The head resembles beer from that country in size certainly, but not in texture. Oops, I spoke too soon. The foam is a little rocky as it deflates and leaves the glass respectably covered with, if not exactly slathered with, meandering streamers of lace. I like the look.

The nose is an appealing mixture of fruit, spice and phenolic farmhouse funk. Too much of the last would have been too much, but it manages to stay on the polite side of the line. So far, I'd say that Jolly Pumpkin has done a more than creditable job with a style that many American brewers seem to have trouble with.

While Bam Biere isn't nearly as deep or as complex as the best Continental saisons, it's no slouch either. A big blast of flavor greets my every mouthful; I just wish that there was more behind the blast. I'm relatively certain that a near doubling of the ABV would effectively solve that problem, but this would then be a different beer entirely.

Unsweet pears and apples lead the way, along with a white peppery spiciness that is only moderately clove-like. There's still a fair amount of Islay whisky-like phenols, but not enough to turn off those who might shy away from such flavors. Bam is impressively dry and crisp. So much so that I'm pretty sure this is a candi sugar-free zone (the sub-5% ABV suggests that as well).

The body/mouthfeel weighs in somewhere between light and medium; it's difficult to tell with all the bubbles. Thankfully, the beer feels lively rather than chaotic and I wouldn't change the amount of carbonation one iota.

Bam Biere is an excellent JP offering and is second only to the outstanding Oro De Calabaza in my opinion. This bottle disappeared in the blink of an eye and I find myself wanting more. I love the idea of a sessionable saison that comes in 12 ounce bottles. I wish more American craft breweries would follow Jolly Pumpkin's example.

4.39/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had this a couple times now. Keep stumbling across it and can't pass it up.

Pours a cloudy orange color with a HUGE head. None of them have gushed out of the bottle like that has happened to a few around here, but always a big white head that takes a few minutes to settle down. No worries, gives it time to warm up and I prefer my saison's with a lot of carbonation.

Once the head retreats a little I can pick up the aroma. Fruity with an obvious tartness to it. Yeasty aroma presence too. I'm pretty sure they use brett in this, not sure if it's something the beer picks up from the barrel or if it is added directly to secondary.

Taste is sweet and tart. Very fruity with a slight sourness from the brett. Don’t really pick up on any hops flavoring, they are secondary to the sweetness.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer. Probably the best saison I've had. I've been a big kick of sour beers lately, so really no surprise I was pleased with this offering. Here's to trying many more beers from Jolly Pumpkin.

2.82/5  rDev -28.1%

Tasted bottle on 9/25/06 at Tria Cafe in Philadelphia, PA.
Labbeld as "Bam Biere Farmhouse Ale"

Golden colored with a huge white head and overcarbonated resulting in multiple pours. A funky tart and sour aroma and flavor actually not far from their Wit but a bit funkier and sourer. I would have a hard time other than color telling these apart in a blind tasting. Nothing gets to shine in this one ... malts or hops. Very light bodied and airy due to carbonation.

I normally like saisons but this is not much better than the disasterous Calabaza Blanca ... I thought to myself, "self, try it - it's gotta be better"; but ultimately, not much better. save your $.

Per Label: 4.5% ABV. "Bottle Conditioned and Dry Hopped"

($6.50 / 12 oz. bottle)

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

A- pours a rich golden color with a nice frothy white head that both retains and then laces well

S- that same funky belgian farmhouse smell that is for some reason appealing, spicey belgian yeast aroma, crisp

T- complements smell, a little lemon-lime like citrus aftertaste, clean dry taste

M- very dry, intensely carbonated, almost like a dry white wine

D- a good beer, a would definitely buy/drink again, goes down very easily. A semi-rare feat, a belgian style ale from a non-belgian brewery that not only tastes good, but actually tastes like the style it's supposed to be

3.57/5  rDev -8.9%

I picked this one up from Hi-Times Liquor in Costa Mesa few months back on a recommendation from the guy working the floor.

As usual, I gave it the royal treatment: my Stone Imperial Russian Stout glass. However, it didn't treat me quite so well; as soon as I popped the cap, foam began shooting out of the bottle. I managed to salvage most of the beer, but I had to pour the excess into a standard pint glass and then sift the contents of my IRS glass in a bit at a time.

I was left with a half finger of foam settled on a cloudy copper body.

As compared with my few past saison experiences, the odor of this one was surprisingly sweet (peach?) along with the more familiar biscuity quality.

The flavor was rather interesting, especially considering half the carbonation probably landed three counties away...very slight peachy sweetness, a bit of lime, a bit earthy/biscuity, and an element of pepper. Complex? Yes. Tasty? Not really, but easy to drink, with light alcohol, decent carbonation (still), and a pretty clean finish.

My third saison, this blows away the one Saison Dupont I had, but doesn't hold a candle to the Biere de Miel (also from Dupont). I'm thinking straight saisons might just not be my style.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours out to a brownish-gold in the glass with a huge head. The aroma is that of yeast and light plum. The taste is lighter than I expected, with a light fruity tartness to it. Not complex, but then it shouldn't be as the style is quite simple being as its a farmhouse ale. Refreshing.

The beer exploded from the bottle into my glass with a head that could not be contained. Beautiful bountifel lacing.Smell is banana like, fruity, yeasty. Taste follows through with more fruit and banana, and a strong pepper taste at the finish. Nice full creamy mouthfeel. Nice and pleasant to drink. Extremely refreshing.

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours yielding a massive foam head which nearly escapes the glass rim. It settles very slowly leaving some nice lace. The color of the beer is a deep gold with nice clarity. A fairly potent aroma of lemon spice dominates the nose with a hint of floral hoppiness also. The taste carries more of the spiced lemon zest which is mildy tart. The flavor doesn't open up to much complexity, however, but does turn to a earthy, dirt-like finish. Very dry, low alcohol. The mouthfeel is rather light, yet fluffy with a good mouthful of carbonation. Very easy to drink. It is perhaps a good session beer considering its low ABV, but not overly unique for Sasion...

3.63/5  rDev -7.4%

From the bottle. poured a cloudy golden with a huge fluffy white head. aroma a nice blend sweet spices with some lightly sour citrus fruit a small amount of hops pops out and a nice hit of yeast and pepper. flavor the sourness comes out first, followed by citrus and the pepper, lemon. after working around the house all day this was a nice refreshing beer to wind down with.

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

12 fl oz bottle

A: poured in a snifter, pours golden light brown, cloudy. Head at first is big and frothy looking, then settles into place and retains well.

S: first smell has that true farmhouse smell to it, spicy, peppery, under that a light fruity smell…. Smells delicious.

T: first taste has fruitiness/ hoppiness however the hops more leaning to earthiness rather than floral smelling and bitterness is right there with it. following by this is the spice and malt. taste is surprisingly different than most other jolly pumpkin ales I have tried. I have noticed some tend to have many similarities in them, and with this one I do not see, could it be different fermentation tanks used…?

M: mouthful is light and bubbly, leaves mouth with earthy spicy after taste, goes down smooth

3.02/5  rDev -23%

This arrived with a thick, white head above a very cloudy, medium-amber colored beer. The nose was really funky, obviously yeast-driven, with a sour quality to it, like overripe fruit. The mouthfeel was somewhat thin and the taste had a vinous quality, like a dry white wine. The finish was likewise dry, with a lingering aftertaste of that yeasty funk. I have to admit, this was my first Jolly Pumpkin on draft (not cask) and I was disappointed. I got John’s Grocery in Iowa City to sell me a single bottle out of a six-pack just so that I could re-review it. That review has already been posted, so it might be interesting to compare my two reviews. One beer does not change my stance, though. Jolly Pumpkin IS da bomb, yo!

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

From notes of 08/28/2006 visit to The Map Room, Chicago IL.

Pours a cloudy hazed burnt orange color with yeast settling to the bottom of the glass. The head is a firm dense off-white two fingers of foam. The lace is very thick and hangs in sheets.

The smell is earthy, a touch of fruitiness, spicy and a bit smoky.

The taste is heavy with yeast, fruity, lightly tart, with citrus and a faint mustiness.

The carbonation is fairly active in a medium-light body giving this a light crisp mouthfeel.

Overall, enjoyable and easy drinking.

3.48/5  rDev -11.2%

A- hazy straw color with an explosive white fluffy head. Although i poured slowely, i had to stop several times because the head grew so quickly.

S- very strong yeast/doughy aroma. Some delicate fruit hints are also present.

T- really not a dominating flavor. The yeast is still pretty noticable in the taste, but the overall flavor seems to be a little bland. Also has a weird dry aftertaste.

M- highly carbonated, almost to the point where it might be taking away from the flavor.

D- pretty easy to drink, although it does have a funky aftertaste as noted above.

overall- I was hoping for a little more from this, but its not terrible. The carbonation is a little extreme, and the flavor is kinda dull. Im reviewing this directly from the fridge, so im hoping once it warms up a bit it will bring out some more flavor.

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

This nice little beer from the welcome new-comers to the Belgian-American beer scene has a beautiful golden color. Clear, super thick with a chunky head, foaming but not overflowing. Nice, very high dry lacing that sticks to the sides like BBQ sauce to ribs.Also, nice label.
The aroma is funky, sweet and tart, good for the style. A gorgeous rose-like perfume that got twisted in the barnyard. Brett? Perhaps, cause I got that funky sweaty horse blanket thing going on.
The taset is definitely that of an American farmhouse-style ale, not truly farmhouse but we can call it that. Full cereal body and wheat flavor. Strong hop flavor but a little light on the malt characters. I think this could have used a bit more time maturing because the back drops out, but the finish is nice with a fruit tartness and crab apple effervescence.
Mouthfeel is with big carbonation that fills the mouth but without a full body.
Definitely will drink more of these.

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a slightly cloudy golden color with an impressive head of bright white bubbles. Medium sized bubbles almost look like tiny frosted glass beads. I usually don’t pay much attention to the head, but for some reason this one caught my eye. Aroma is musty, yet has a hint of sweet over ripe/fermenting fruit. Taste follows suit with the sweetness coming out first, then giving way to the mustiness that I find trademark of farmhouse ales. Finishes lightly sour/tart/acidic, but light- nothing over the top. Finish is on the dry side.
Very easy to drink and a nice change of pace and the ABV won’t knock you out.

4.14/5  rDev +5.6%

Bottle provided by orbitalr0x as part of BIF33. Thanks for the opportunity. This one's been in the fridge for a couple months. Poured half the bottle to get an overly vigorous 5-6 finger head that settled rapidly to a few off-white wisps. The beer is super cloudy and heavily particulated because I swirled and dumped the remainder of the beer in the glass.

Smells vegetal and like the wild-flowers in my back yard. Oaky sour cherry in a manner very similar to La Folie (from New Belgium Brewing). I suspect that to be from brettanomyces.

Tastes sweaty horse blanket and flander's red sour. The sour is of a La Folie character, but certainly not to the same extreme. Plus, this has some sweeter and floral qualities. Green apple and maple. Lemon and yeast. Dry, yet floral. There's a bit of zing which I think does not come from alcohol. Not yeasty phenolic, and not hoppy. Gotta be something the yeast produced.

Mouthfeel is md, but dextrinous. Carbonation is strong, despite my releasing a large amount during the pours. Minimal lacing on the inside of the glass and decent yeasting on the bottom of the glass. Nice summer quencher and, IMO, a relatively simple saison. One that was a great opportunity for me to explore into relatively unfamiliar territory.

bought a 12 oz bottle at odies big ten in lansing michigan. ($2.19)
pours a cloudy straw with a rocky headthat has staying power.
the aroma is fruity, sourish, spicy, flora.
the flavor is watery, light, spicy, malty, cardimon, sourish twang, hint of hops.
this is a dead on saison.

4.07/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance – 12 oz bottle from Julio's. A bit of a foam volcano upon opening, but I had my glass ready and didn't lose any beer. In my wine glass the beer is light amber-orange and cloudy. Rapid carbonation keeps the creamy stark-white head inflated.

Smell – Lots of slightly funky Belgian yeast character. Rounding out the aroma are notes of spicy hops, bready yeast and fruit.

Taste – At first it is a bit of a let down, the funky aroma doesn't really translate as expected to the palate. It is a well balanced beer with some sweet malt, spicy hops and a nice dry finish. However, as I continue to drink the yeast character comes back, particularly in the back of the mouth with a brett like sweaty, mildly tart character.

Mouthfeel – Light with lots of stinging carbonation. My only complaint is that there is a slight astringency.

Drinkability & Notes – Slightly tart and all this flavor, at under 5% abv? Now that is a hot summer day quencher with some character. Not sure if there is brett in this one, if there is I imagine that it is to blame for my overcarbonation, hopefully its finished eating...

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

Aroma: Sweet fruitiness, barnyard/horseblanket, has a slight sourness and alcohol with hints of grapefruit.

Appearance: Very clear golden with a dense white head retention about one finger thick that lasts till the last drop.

Flavor: Very earthy and spicy malt flavor up front, followed by a tiny hint of a sourness that rounds off dry, having a delicate bitterness that has you begging for more. I swirled the bottle and dumped the yeast in the glass which intensified all the flavors.

Mouthfeel: Medium Body with a decent amount of carbonation.

Overall Impression: Being in Dexter, Michigan, I never thought I would try Jolly Pumpkins Artisan Ales. Well, thy bottle condition great beer. This beer is cleanly fermented and has such a wonderful farmhouse or barnyard flavors. If you can pick up a bottle of this do it. Great on a hot summer afternoon on the deck BBQing.

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance: cloudy amber golden colored with a nice white thick head. head retention was nice and left a nice sticky lace on the sides.

Smell: citrus with medicinal herbs, very yeasty smell as well

Taste: a very yeasty taste to it. the citrus fruits came thru with the yeast mellowing it out. So you get a sour taste and then its balanced by the yeast which is nice.

Drinkability: very easy to drink, I could drink a few of these and not get sick of them.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

Got a sixer of this while in Dayton this past weekend. Amazing that I find it there and not anywhere in West Michigan.

Fairly cloudy but shining hay yellow color with a huge billowy, airy white head. Head maintains its height for awhile and leaves tons of lacing rings along the glass.

Aroma is very pungent. My friend smelled it across the room about 10 seconds after I opened it. Very strong yeasty smells. Very farmhouse and rustic in nature. Upon further inspection there's some orange juice pulp and citrus lime acidity. A bit of a granny smith/mackintosh apple combo as well. Excellent.

I immediately notice the lack of malt or sweetness in the taste. At first this is disconcerting but the more I drink the more I enjoy the other flavors being showcased and am thankful for the dryness from the start. There's a spicy floral hoppiness apparent the whole way through. Noble hops? Strong yeasty phenols without the breadiness. Lots of pepper througout. Some bitter orange peel and coriander seem to find their way in towards the back. Finish is really dry with more of a spicy floral edge.

Mouthfeel is light and almost airy but with heavier yeast phenolics riding in. Interesting but it works. Carbonation is high which moderates the dryness but maybe a bit more malt backing would help. Not much more but maybe a touch. Very, very rustic. Spices might get a bit too much at times. Doesn't feel the most complex but there seem to be flavors I can't pin down and I don't get bored with this beer.

I would imagine this is how old school Saisons taste. Drinkable and enjoyable with an edge. Try it.

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

Hazy bright yellow gold body, moderate carbonation, and a huge sticky and fluffy snow white head which rose above the rim and held a few beats before genly receded an leaving excellent lacing.

Big spicy aroma evident as soon as the cap pops. Carries well. Lot of pepper, among others.

A light malt sweetness kicks off the taste, followed quickly by a wash of tingly spices which sparkle across the tongue, then a burst of juicy fruitiness at the swallow, and an encore of the spices in the aftertaste. Refreshes well on a broiling hot day.

Very good stimulating light mouthfeel. Good drinkability.

Good example of the style, and a good answer to a July heatwave.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Bam Bière from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales