Bam Bière - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Bam BièreBam Bière

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: nomad on 02-04-2006

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,218 | Reviews: 617
3.97/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a haze golden color with a very impressive white head. Aggressive carbonation.

Smell of fruit, spice, very earthy a nice sour note looking forward to this quite a bit.

Taste of typical Saison up front wheaty lemon, then a nice funky sourness hits you in the back Beautiful was not expecting this have just tried Boulevard Saison- Brett these are completely different animals.

Mouthfeel heavy carbonation but very drinkable.

Overall i really think this is an excellent take on the Saison i'm excited that this brewery is coming to OK in the next couple of weeks and am way too excited to try the LA Roja.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

Bomber of batch 506/507 shared with the girlfriend & loving the labelwork. A murky light orange into a tulip glass. White head with a little lacing, looks refreshing. Nose is all lactic sourness, oak, white wine, champagne like yeast, tart funk, but the classic Saison style does not come to mind here. This seems more dominated by lactic sour than horse blanket funk. Same notes hit the tongue with a mild jaw clenching sour. I get the oak, the lactic wildness, and a lot of citric fruity characters - but this isnt what I think of when I think of a Saison. Very drinkable beer, just was looking for something different here I guess.

3.53/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a bright golden yellow with a tight white head that has good retention. Nose opens with some tart lemon, then moves of to the funk, some wet mushrooms and forest floor. Not overpowering in the funk department, just enough to balance the tartness. The taste is more of the same, very well balanced beer. I get a little bit of an aspirin bitter aftertaste but not enough to ruin the beer for me. The mouthfeel is spritzy and thin and lends itself to high drinkability. Overall, this is a nice funky farmhouse ale, nothing overpowering or outlandishly funky but definitely drinkable.

This bottle looks so familiar to me… I just can’t place it. The beer isn’t that old. They just started brewing in 2005, and this bottle was actually bottled in March of 2011. There is a sticker on the side of the bottle. This bottle was bottled on 3-16-11 and is a part of batch 752. I wish more beers did that. Adds a nice touch to it.

I was chatting with Jake on Twitter, and while he isn’t here to enjoy this bottle conditioned beer with us, he is here in spirit. Let’s see what this beer is all about.

(Please note I am drinking a Hopslam too… so let’s get through this because I doubt it even comes close to that delicious beer!)

In the Glass: It looks like a wheat beer in the glass. It’s gold and cloudy, and reminds me of a wit beer. The head is nice though, and I can tell that this beer will provide nice lace. For such a young beer, less than a year old, the beer stands up for a solid brew.

Nose: At first, there isn’t much nose. But if you stick your nose down into the glass, it gets good. I smell dirt. That’s a good thing though. This is a farmhouse ale after all. That is the brettanomyces I am smelling. I do, as the beer warms up, get a “pop” that I expect on a wheat beer.

Flavor: There is a TON of carbonation on this beer. Holy cow. That’s like drinking a diet soda with a mouth full of pop rocks. That is a TON of bubbles. It’s almost too much to be honest. The bubbles are overwhelming. I have had champagne that wasn’t this carbonated. It sort of takes away from the flavor on the from of the palate.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is awful. There are so many bubbles I don’t even want to finish the glass. As the beer explodes on the front, middle, and back of the tongue there is some subtle bitterness on the corners of the palate, but the bubbles are all I can think of. When I swallow, the flavors start to kick in… but the bubbles take so much away from the beer.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste will provide the most flavor you get from this beer. The bubbles, and I know I keep going back to them, are just horrible. Now… let me rephrase that. They don’t make the beer horrible. They make the beer experience horrible. I wanted this to be smooth, loaded with flavor. A beer with this low of an ABV isn’t something I will order all the time, but I couldn’t pay more than a few bucks for this if it was on special.

The beer isn’t bad… but the bubbles are ALL I can think about. So if you like a beer that is loaded with carbonation, this is the beer for you. The most I have found in a beer to date. Not sure I could drink this one again. I will finish the glass, but that’s as far as I can go.

3.12/5  rDev -20.4%

My very first review!

Batch 506/507. Don't see a bottling date. 750 ml bottle poured into a pint glass, in direct defiance of their serving directions. This is because I am a REBEL.

Slightly hazy amber color (it's worth noting I'm partially colorblind). Quite a bit of white head that takes a while to recede, and doesn't leave much of anything on the side of the glass. A lot of carbonation here.

Smell is mostly tart and sour, with a little bit of sweetness. I do not have a lot of experience with sour-type beers, so perhaps this is the "funk" I've heard so much about. I guess it's somewhat barnyard-ish.

Taste is in line with the smell. Very tart, pretty much no malt flavor, but a bit of yeastiness. Not much hop bitterness, either. It's just... sour. A little lemon-y, if I had to choose. Alcohol is undetectable, which makes sense at this ABV.

Thin mouthfeel. As the head indicated, VERY carbonated. Prickles on the tongue and on the way down, which I rather like. The sourness sticks in the mouth a bit, almost like some wines.

Overall, I think I'm just not a huge fan of sour in my beer. This is the second beer I've tried from Jolly Pumpkin, and I remember the other one (Oro De Calabaza) being similar but better. I have a Luciérnaga waiting in the fridge, so maybe that will be different.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

Batch 548/549. Bottled 5-6-10

Nice white head immediately leaves lacing but has good retention. Translucent straw body.

Strong aroma - lots of funk. Waves of complexity. Tart.

Flavor is light with a clean finish. Almost everything is up front. Zesty and weird in the right ways.

Carbonation seems a little high.

An exceptional example of the style. Light and refreshing.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Bam Bière from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales