Bam Bière - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: nomad on 02-04-2006

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clouded gold with a quarter inch white head that stays. Nose is kind of mild with a slight yeast presence. Flavor is very smooth and traditional saison. Feel is a little less meaty than I like, but still fairly good. Extremely drinkable. A damn good saison, and an American produced one at that.

4.65/5  rDev +18.9%

Overall, a very complex beer that will make you sit up and pay attention, without the "hop assault" and other exaggerated, attention-getting taste traumas. In fact, Bam Biere is the rare sort of brew that combines complexity and nuance with great drinkability.

I'll leave it to you to sort out your own impressions, but I get a nose of fresh fruits and vegetables that makes me think of a farmer's market. The taste is an almost Thai balance between the sweet and sour, leaning a bit toward the latter. Drink it carefully and you'll notice an initial impression on the tip of the tongue, where we taste sweetness and saltiness, and on the back sides, where we detect sour notes. (See http://library.thinkquest.org/05aug/00386/taste/index.htm)

This sort of intriguing complexity is rather hard to unwrap. If you are like me, you just think "aha" at first, and then you challenge yourself to specify why this has appeal to you.

By all means, seek this one out. You won't regret it!

3.68/5  rDev -5.9%

Attractive hazed pumpkin in color with a billowing head of clingy white froth.

Aroma is a bit milder than most Saisons, dry fruit, minerals, citrus, and some chalky yeast. As it warms a bit the trademark JP yeast makes itself known.

Flavor is also mild, minty green fruit, light citrus, clove, yeast and a subdued presence of wild yeast and tart minerality.

Body is light and the carbonation is expansive, giving it a fluffy mouthfeel and airey texture. A session Saison?

I got this bottle in a trade with Wasatch. Thanks John!

This pours from 12oz bottle a cloudy yellow-orange with a *huge* very billowy head of foam that doesn't do a whole lot of receding. It gets so thick that I imagine I could spoon it out and it would keep its shape. I like that.

The smell...hit me as soon as I popped the cap on the bottle. It's all fruity and yeasty and funky and it has notes of candy sugar and tartness. Pretty darned complex.

The taste up front has a mix of sour and sweet flavour. The sour is mostly from apple, the sweet is from a mild malt presence.I'm getting a yeasty flavour now as well as a touch of funk and some peppery notes. It has a thin mouthfeel, the carbonation is high, and it finishes crisp and dry with a short but pleasing aftertaste.

Overall, I find this Saison a treat to drink and quite sessionable. I'd drink it again, no problem. Thanks again, John!

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Comes out a very hazy pale yellow with a dusting of bright white bursting bubbles on top. No lacing.

S- This beer is strongly scented with yeast, but also some fruitiness- pears, apples, and a touch of lemon.

T- The taste is far more complex than the smell. While the yeast is predominant there's also some husky maltiness, and hops, pithy and earthy at the same time. A bit of tartness but this is mainly overshadowed by the bitter character.

M- Effervescent, but somewhat watery, not my favorite mouthfeel.

D- Delicious and complex, just what I expected out of this beer.

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

I poured this into my new Surly glass that has curves in the glass walls up to the top so it has the same affect as the tulip, but without so much nose activity.

Pours a great white head that leaves a great lacing behind and leaves the head still sitting there. Color is gold and very clear. The smell is sour and gueuze like, slightly fruity, and light. The first thing I noticed was the high carbonation on the mouth, almost soda like. The flavor is lighter than the smell and more wheat-like at the end. The sour flavor is very subdued and nice. Very drinkable, but hard to find. This one cost me $14/six pack.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle from Abe's in Bethlehem. Tried this before when a friend had it and was really intrigued, so i decided to pick up a bottle for myself.

Hazy straw colored beer with huge white foam head that layed down big, puffy clouds of lace and lasted all the way down. Smell was spicy at first, then dominated by sourness from the funky yeasts and a little citric tartness. Gotta love the funk.

Taste is pretty sour, very dry. Some may call this one-dimensional, and maybe it is, but i just love the way it tastes. Mouthfeel is very light, pretty high carbonation. Low alcohol and light body make this a drinkable brew, but far from sessionable because of the huge sourness. I got mine for $2.25 and it is a steal at that price.

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottle courtesy of Kudashov, thanks again!

Pours a cloudy gold color, with a huge white head. There are a few chunks floating around in this one. But it still looks pretty nice.

Aromas are very spicy and sour. Definitely some wild yeast in here... brett like, and with a tart citrus smell. Nice nose on this one.

Taste is very dry. There is an underlying sourness that is pretty strong, some tart citrus flavors, and some crisp and slightly creamy malt flavors in the background. An interesting beer that is sour dominant, dry... I guess fairly one dimensional. The other flavors are set into the background. One thing is for sure, this doesn't taste like any other Saison I have tried.

Mouthfeel is good. Feels about right in the mouth, full and with a crisp long finish.

Drinkability is good too. A nice beer that is interesting to taste. But something about this doesn't really taste right to me. Seems like it should be in the American Wild Ale category, instead of Saison. But with that said, it's still worth a try, and really easy to drink, almost sessionable with the low ABV.

3.13/5  rDev -19.9%

12oz. brown bottle, purchased at Jungle Jim's, poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a very Duvel golden yellow but without as much clarity. Just about 2 fingers of tight white head. Decent retention, laying down to 1/4 inch for most of the drink. Nice lacing.

S: Very fruity. Bananas, strawberries, figs.. kind of all over the place. Yeasty with a little bit of cellar funk. Back notes of light bread.

T/M: Wow. Very interesting. This is my first saison, haha. Now that I think of it.. I have absolutely no clue what I was expecting. Body is extremely thin, that'll help the mouthfeel and drinkability, haha. The initial favors I get are very fruity, tart and sour, maybe under ripened. Midway it gets very sour to the point of puckering. Yeasty backbone throughout. Carbonation seems fairly high.

D: It's very interesting... I know it's not going to be something that I drink very often but I really would like to try a few different saisons, still. Local 1 comes to mind but there's no way I'm gonna crack open a 750.

4.6/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

After having this beer I have decided that I am going to put Saisons into 2 classifications: The first is the more traditional Belgian style with delicate taste, the other is a less traditional American influenced style that is more full flavored and sweet. This beer was the best American representation of the aforementioned traditional Belgian classification.

I poured this into my Duvel tulip and it almost looked like a Duvel. Hazy golden coloring with a chimney of carbonation rising like crazy through the center producing an amazing white head. The head very slowly beings to fall and become more dense and it leaves rocky chunks that don't move for the rest of the drink. The lacing that sticks to the sides also stays in place of the entire time. The smell is very full and rich with metallic, rubbery hops, spicy cloves, rich citrus, and sticky sweet candi sugar. The taste is completely different than the smell: The flavor is much more delicate and thin than the sticky sweet smell. There is a Co2 tastes that comes from the wild carbonation that is backed and twisted with the metallic Belgian hop addition. The first thing this reminded me of was when I had my Saison DuPont last month. I could also see similarities with this beer and Orval, minus the Orval Brett funk. One of the best things about this beer is that it is a session saison. These are so hard to come by. The price is a little steep, but it tastes like more expensive imports to me. A true fit to the authentic Belgian Saison style.

4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

Hazy gold color, well carbonated, with an airy white head that thickens up as it settles, leaving behind sticky strings of lace. Smells delicate but funky...lemony and sour. Apple and lemon flavors along with a fine sweetness and yeast. The sourness makes things interesting. Lots of flavor for such a "little" beer. Light bodied, effervescent, refreshing, slightly tart, with a dry finish. I could drink many.

3.53/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: Poured from a brown, 12oz bottle. No freshness date. Apparently this beer is named after the brewery dog, who ended up on the wrong side of a car. But, the eneding is happy, he lived. My first Jolly Pumpkin beer, I am excited, I like the funk.
This beer is begging for me to drink it. After popping the cap, foam started to creep out the neck of the bottle as I was reading the label.

Appearance: Poured with a lot of foam, typical of what I would expect from a Belgain/French beer. Settles slowly and the head that stays around is massice and dense. Almost pure white. The beer itself is a slightly hazy honey color with some activity.

Smell: A sweet, slightly acidic, and definitely funky nose. Hints off sour cherries.

Taste: Wow, here is the famous Jolly Pumpkin funk you either love or hate. Sour and acidic upfront, but not to the level of a Flemish sour ale. Belnds nicely into fruity flavors such as lemon and banana. A hint of bitterness in the middle.

Mouthfeel: Average bady. Carbonation elvel is average, enough to offset the bite of the funk.

Drinkability: I tend to like funky beers but can't drink a lot of them because of what the sourness does to me. This one has a nice level of funk. I personally wouldn't calssify it as a farmhouse ale, but would come up with new names or styles. Let's call a spade a spade and a spade this aint.

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

It pours a fairly cloudy and carbonated lemon meringue yellow. Explosive multi-fingers of white head erupt and maintain for some time indeed. Spurts of lacing splatter the inside of the glass.

In the aroma, tart wheat rule initially then parts a bit to allow clove, coriander, citrus zest, and the merest touch of banana as the esters represent. An acetic sourness is mildly distracting.

Upon tasting, the wheat is sassy and tangy, briefly sweet, and is then tamped by clove, coriander, lemon, and orange peel. A quick flick of earthy dough joins a counter of mild tartness. The finish is a crisp and spicy strain of lingering dryness. It's not especially complex, it's just tasty.

Light bodied, the tart pucker is punctuated by the zippy carbonation.

It may not be truly special, but it doesn't want for personality. It's zesty and cheeky, if a bit halting in spots. So each sip is a nice precursor to the next. And the clean, crisp finish leads to an easy drinking presentation. It may not be about delivering on a lot of anticipation, but it does end well.

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

Saisons/farmhouse ales run across such a wide spectrum of beer, that I have a hard time saying I like the style, as there are many examples I like and many I don't. This particular sample offers a hefe-like wheat-y mouthfeel and flavor, matched with an intense amount of sourness I really enjoyed.

Appearance was a hazy straw color with towering head formation which I found extremely appealing. This fine cumulus-head stuck around for a long time, maintaining its height in the middle of my glass and it sloped downwards on the edge of the glass. Aroma was light and wheat-y, but also rather sour. Flavor was similar. Mouthfeel was pucker-y, like you'd expect a sour beer to be.

Quite nice. Definitely recommended.

I bought this bottle at Murray's Wine & Spirits "going out of business" sale.

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Saison Dupont tumbler.

A: Bright hazy yellow with some lazy bubbles capped by an incredibly firm head that towers over the lip of the glass. Sadly, the head recedes to a mere skim, but, leaves gobs of bubbly lace in its' wake.

S: Tart green apple, dirt, sour cherry, funky blanket.

T: See above. Also noticed, as it warmed, was a mild hoppiness and a hint of toasted malt. Excellent fruit flavors that see saw between tart and sour.

M: Surprisingly rich and full, considering the style and how tart it is.

D: Very refreshing. I love Jolly Pumpkin's beers and this is an excellent component of their line up!

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

Unbelievably rich and rocky head. The head retains its shape even as it goes beyond the lip of my glass. The color is light amber or dark gold. This is very cloudy.

A little bit of a green apple in the aroma. Fresh smells of soured milk that are typical of the style.

This is a relatively dry brew. The sourness continues in the taste. I was pleasantly surprised by the touch of hops which is often missing from this style. The body is pretty much what I'd expect.

This is not my style and it is also not the best of this style, imho.

3.93/5  rDev +0.5%

750ml bottle.
Pale, bright gold, topped with a heaping plume of white foam, filling roughly half my tulip glass. Good clarity for the first pour, and gradually clouds up as it nears the bottom of the bottle. Great head retention and lacing, sheets clinging to the side of the glass. Even towards the end of the first glass, the head just won't quit. It hangs on the glass in thick, craggy clouds. Whatever you do, do not pour this one vigorously. A weak trickle out of the bottle is enough to stir up a healthy coating of head in your glass.
A very fruity, slightly spicy aroma. Fresh macoun apples and banana, with coriander spiciness and floral hops.
Putting the beer to my mouth, my lips are greeted with a tingle of carbonation, following with a rushing, cola-like surge as I sip. Initially, the activity nullifies all flavor, then light, fruity maltiness settles in. Balancing floral hops present themselves, with an anise-like, phenolic huff through the finish. Leaves off a bit vapid, maybe entirely absent, if not for the yeast spiciness. Light wheaty sourness. The carbonation continues to assert itself, the beer that remains in the bottle foaming so it points out of the top in a little peak of bubbles. Finishes off dryish and airy on the tongue, with just a bit of lingering sweetness. Probably best suited for hot weather, salad courses and the like.
Interesting stuff for such a low alcohol content. Nice session brew for those inclined towards belgian tastes.
Opening the bottle and allowing it to sit for a few hours before drinking might tame the carbonation a bit.

Picked up a bottle at Julio's Liquors in Westborough, MA.

A: Pours with an insanely moussy thick white 3+ inch head, which slowly dissipates. Light moderate amber hue. Opaque. Sticky lacing.

S: Sour citrus aroma. Some malt character in the background. This one definitely has a funky yeast smell to it. Some light medicinal notes.

T: Less tart/sour than other Jolly Pumpkin ales. I suspect the light malt flavor is responsible for this. Citrusy and spicy as well as yeasty and quite earthy. Tart sourness is the main component though, as mentioned, the malt in this provides good balance.

MF: Highly carbonated with a dry finish. Medium-light mouthfeel with no alcohol warming.

D,notes: Of the Jolly Pumpkin's I have tried this is my favorite. Excellent balance between tart/sourness and malt. complex. Really good mouthfeel. For a sour leaning beer good drinkability.

3.98/5  rDev +1.8%

Grey-golden hazy body with huge thick head and tons of lacing.

Smells like raspberries and yeast.

Lots of sour fruit in the flavor. Wonderfully tart.

Smooth and full mouthfeel, pretty drying and refreshing.

Great Saison, and this is from a guy that doesn't do saisons.

4.22/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a dusty goldenrod in color, topped with an immense and rocky off-white head. Opaque. Nose is lightly spicy and spot-on for the style, highlighted by citric (lemon) and pale wheat malt notes. More lemon and yeast on the first sip, along with a biting astringency and a nicely lingering subtle bitterness. WOW! Mouthfeel is fairly light across the tongue and palate, with the astringency making this appeal to the food-lover in me (if only I were pairing this with some food...) And while this might otherwise strike some as thin bodied it is quite appropriate for the style. Rather drinkable as well, in the manner or a Berliner Weisse or a tart witbier. Much better than I was expecting, and definitely worth seeking out!

[Served in a bulb]

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

got myself a winking lizard brew here

it's a hazy orange beer sitting in my duvel tulip. tall white foam sits above and is reinforced by lively carbonation below. smells of thorough spicing come from the head. a distinct lemon zest makes itself known as well. it has a touch of sweetness, as well

ooh, that's tart. but not dry. up front it is quite acidic–way more than a true saison should be, i suppose. truth is, however, i don't think capt. spooky gives a damn. like everything else he makes, this is a fine beer. it is not particularly dry and hops play a morethanminor role (aroma: musty and lemon, flavor: detectable bitterness and more of that continental zing)

4.47/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured into a SABL glass a hazy pale orange with a frothy cappuccino head that slowly faded and left spotty lacing. Aroma is sweet malt and Belgian yeast with a hint of spice. The taste is sweet fruit, spice, and some citrus notes. Coriander and orange peel show through in the taste as well. The beer is extremely light and crisp with decent carbonation, just enough to help it go down very smooth. I'm sure those French farmhouse workers would have loved this one! This is a very good representation of the lighter side of this style, extremely refreshing!

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured into a weizen glass. Color was a cloudy amber with a white thick foamy head. Aroma was slightly wheaty, and slightly fruity. Taste was fruity, reminded me of a sweet, slightly dry apple cider. There was a tinge of bitterness, but not very noticeable. Mouthfeel was disappointing. The beer clung to the inside of my mouth like an overly sweet fruit juice. Beyond that, it was pleasant to drink.

4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

The beer pours a cloudy gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a refreshingly fruity scent of yeast esters and spices. It's a bit tart, but nothing over the top. The taste is good. It has a dry earthy pale malt and yeast flavor. It goes down easy and finishes peppery with a mild tartness. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a good drinking beer. I love the aroma. Also, the hops in the finish add a nice complexity to the palate. It's light and fruity with just the right amount of earthiness.

3.48/5  rDev -11%

Pours a cloudy golden yellow with a giant white foamy head. The head is HUGE,lasts forever,and leaves very good lacing. The smell is pungent with lemon,grass,citrus,wheat,and banana. The taste is like the smell,floral,lemon,sweet grass,with some bitter hops.l. The m/f is light with the flavors not mixing all that well. This beer has it's moments,but all in all you can do alot better with other Saisons

Bam Bière from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales