Madrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn Stout - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.10% ABV

Beer added by: Shovelbum on 02-12-2006

4.29/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.17/5  rDev +8.3%

3.29/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.34/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - 4.5/5
Upon first pour, two fingers of light chocolately-brown foam, dissipates down to half a finger after settling. Color is nearly completely black, but with a very interesting reddish tinge, which you can see when pouring out of the bottle, or when looking at the right angle. Overall, this is a very beautiful-looking stout. The reddish tinge really does it for me.

Smell - 4/5
JP tartness, sour apples, lemons, cherries. Subtle chocolate, roastiness, and a tinge of spice perhaps. Overall a fairly fruity/tart smell. The smell is similar to other JP beers, but this one definitely has a unique aspect to it which I can't quite put my finger on, other than that the fruity smell is different from other JP beers.

Taste - 3.75/5
JP tartness, cherries, apples. Has subtle hops flavor in the aftertaste. It's a delicious tart taste, but in my opinion tastes nothing like a stout. It's basically just like another JP beer and they put a bunch of black food coloring in it. I was wondering how the JP tartness was going to mix with the stout taste, and now I have my answer...they just ignored the stout part. Now to be fair, there is perhaps a very subtle roasty/smoky/chocolatey character which I detect every once in a while, but that's about it. Overall, the taste is very nice and I like it, but it doesn't taste like a stout, so it loses some points for that (only a little, since it's still delicious)

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
Medium-bodied, light carbonation. Crisp and smooth. Nice in the mouth. The mouthfeel is really dominated by the tartness of the beer, which really takes over so your mouth can only feel the tartness, for at least part of the sip.

Overall - 3.75/5
Overall a decent beer, but was disappointed because it wasn't really what I was expecting. Perhaps by technical brewing terms this is a stout, but it doesn't taste like one. It's also a little pricey ($12.99). It doesn't taste sufficiently different from other JP brews to be worth the price, so I probably won't get this ever again. Because I can JP beers I like better for $9.

4.21/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Jolly Pumpkin's Madrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn Stout a few weeks ago for $13.49 at The Lager Mill. I've had this beer a couple times, but for some reason I've never reviewed it and I decided it was time to give it a proper review, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 1/3/14 so it's exactly a year old today. Poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a Jolly Pumpkin snifter.

A- The label looks good, it's got a nice dark look to it which goes with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice black color that didn't let any light come through and it had a little over a fingers worth of bubbly brown head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart a dark roasted malt, sweet malt and some nice dark chocolate like aromas. Up next comes a little bit of that funky Jolly Pumpkin yeast that goes right into a nice sour cherry aroma with a medium amount of sourness. It's a little like a chocolate covered cherry. This beer has a very nice aroma with some great balance to it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the roasted malts coming through nicely. Up next comes just a slight funky yeast flavor which isn't too noticeable and it goes right into the sour cherries which show up just as much as they did in the aroma . On the finish a higher amount of medium sourness which is almost highly sour and it lingers a little into the aftertaste with some roasted malt and sour cherry flavors. This was a very nice tasting beer, the initial taste is pretty stout like than it changes to a straight sour all the way to the aftertaste.

M- Smooth, just a little acidic, a little crisp, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel that worked well with with it.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and i thought it was a Great example of a Sour Stout, this is the first Sour Stout I ever had and while I've I tried a few more since then this one still sticks out as being the most memorable. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, just a little acidic, a little crisp, not too filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, one glass might be the perfect amount for me and I think I could take out the whole bottle, but it might start to become a little too acidic for me. What I like the most about this beer was the taste and aroma, to me those were the highlights of this beer and they had good balance. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't anything that I disliked or would change. I would buy this beer again, and since it's already a year old I'm pretty sure it will still age well for a couple more years. I would recommend this to anyone who likes Sour Stouts, I think it's a must try. All in all I'm very happy with this beer and it continues to impress me a little every time I drink it and It's just an enjoyable beer. It's one of my favorite Jolly Pumpkin beers and It's the best Sour Stout I've had so far. Great job guys, this is one tasty beer, keep up the hard work.

4.06/5  rDev +5.5%

3.14/5  rDev -18.4%

1.18/5  rDev -69.4%

Not a stout - more like a gusher sour

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%