Madrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn Stout - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Madrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn StoutMadrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn Stout

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.10% ABV

Beer added by: Shovelbum on 02-12-2006

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 912 | Reviews: 365
3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for sharing this beer and subsequently farting constantly (to ruin my ability to smell this beer?)

Appearance: Dark brown, pours with a fluffy tan head, retains a nice cap, leaves some gobs of lacing behind

Smell: Dark malts with some sour in the background - chocolate malts, with some grainy dryness - lactic acid, funk, and some straight-up sour - some earthy hops, some citrus, some overall complexity

Taste: Roasty, slightly burnt malts, at the front, then a rush of sour - lactic sourness, some wood, some pepper, some lemon - chocolate malts, dark chocolate, cooked, lightly toasted grains - kind of more like a porter base than a stout - some earthy and burnt bitterness

Mouthfeel: Medium body, fizzy carbonation, a bit too carbonated, a lingering, sticky acidity

Overall: Good for a sour stout

This is good for what it is, but I must admit that I am reaching the conclusion that I do not really care for sour stouts. It's just such a weird style. I guess I can't take off many points for my own personal issues, however, as this is a great example of how to sour a stout.

Split the bottle with angrybabboon. Bottled 2-17-2011.

Appearance: Pours almost straight black. Moderate carbonation produces a huge dark tan head that drops to a chunk collar after a few minutes. Notches of lacing.

Smell: Sour cherries and chocolate malts in abundance. Cocoa and milk chocolate layered over oak barrel. Slight lactic sourness. Roasted malts and some hints of leather and tobacco leaf.

Taste: Roasted malts and Jolly Pumpkin barrel. Cocoa and a slight lactic bite. Some mild coffee bean. Sweet roasted malts. Slight oxidized edge. Leather coupled with tobacco leaf. A damp earthiness. Cocoa powder. Some hay and grass. Like licking a battery covered in chocolate malt.

Mouthfeel: Moderate to light body. Carbonation is moderate and helps spread the dryness.

Overall: Cold this thing is a mess. The flavors are all over the place. As it warms everything comes together. The roasted and chocolate malts work really well with with Jolly pumpkin barrel sour flavors. My suggestion, drink it warm.

Batch: 981
Bottled: 02/07/12
Consumed: 08/17/12
Appearance: Pitch black with plenty of golden brown lace.
Smell: Instant vinegary sour presence with coffee and chocolate notes; (Complexly challenging, but lovely).
Taste: Skips tart and goes straight to sour apple or so. Notes of coffee bitterness and dark chocolate bitterness do shine through as well. Roasted flavor lingering a little bit too, (All awesome).
Mouthfeel: Smooth, light bodied feel with a mild tickle sensation.
Overall: I found it hard to rate such an ingenious brew negatively.
So far I haven't had a Jolly Pumpkin that's done anything except make my taste buds sing. Sour is sour. So, if that doesn't work for you, don't be ashamed. It might simply be an acquired taste.
Stay parched my friends!

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

3.06/5  rDev -20.5%

750 mL capped bottle. Sticker on bottle says "Batch 962 Bottled 01-16-2012".

opaque black, thick creamy off-white head. nice lacing and retention.

well the aroma answers whether it's a sour beer like Jolly Pumpkins other offerings. I wasn't expecting it, as I thought they'd ferment an Imperial Stout with a regular yeast. Big aroma of sour cherry.

taste starts extremely roasty, then finishes extremely sour. vinegar, fermented fruit, puckering. I don't think the flavors jive with each other. medium thickness and carbonation, a little oily.

overall - unfortunately, not for me. Honestly, I don't see much difference between this beer and the few non-intentionally soured barrel aged stouts I've had that were recalled by their brewers.

3.41/5  rDev -11.4%

A - There is a lot of head on this beer. Like three fingers worth or something. The color, is like, a little brown, and a little tan, and a lot of coffee. Body is so dark I can't see anything behind the beer. Really goes down to about 2mm for any light. Some alright lacing on this beverage.

S - I think this beer is confused. Is it a sour or a stout? I'm like, come on here. Ok, I think it is meant to be both, but does that really work? There are some smells of raspberries and other tart fruits, like sour milk. Then it is chocolate and sweet chocolate. Mmmm, I loooove chocolate.

T - Oh my Jesus. So sour and so dark. Definite lemon/lime and a little rind on the hangy thing behind my tongue. Not a lot of sweet stout on this one until late in the finish. Just a hint, tiny hint, of chocolate.

M - It feels like beer in my mouth. A little bit drying, but super carbonation and body. Sexily done.

O - I would say I'm in love with this beer, or that I love this beer. The sour milk is just, I don't know, not super. Probably just not my type.

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

2.47/5  rDev -35.8%

It's difficult to rate this beer as it's clear that the brewers set out to make something DIFFERENT. Well, they succeeded. This is cask conditioned, so there's not a lot of head, but it looks great. Smells of the roasted malts and of coffee. Then the taste. . .
Holy crap! There's a huge sourness in my stout. There's a balance of sweetness and hops and even mouthfeel that struggle to get through, but just can't overwhelm the lemon concentrate. I respect the brewer's attempt to do something new. I just isn't the stout for me.

4.01/5  rDev +4.2%

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

Review #400! Bomber purchased at Plum Market in Ann Arbor, MI.

Pours an opaque, pitch black hue with a thick ring of tan foam and strands of webbed lacing on the tulip glass.

Smell is cocoa powder (almost fudge-like), molasses, floral and minty hops, ethanol, caramel, dates, fruity balsamic vinaigrette, roasty malts, sour candy, oak barrel woodiness, hint of vanilla, and leather. Stupidly complex aromas.

Taste is a massively acidic, tart, and almost puckering sourness upfront, lemon juice, roasted malts, cocoa, and ashy flavours through the middle, faint woodiness and dark unsweetened chocolate in the afters.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, spritzy carbonation, big tart sourness mid-palate, a little warmth going down, quick drying finish.

Overall, Obscura is a wonderfully layered brew with a rich and satisfying character. I first sampled this beer on tap at Roast Detroit (thanks to bartender Joe's recommendation) and the bottled version is just as rewarding as the draught. A must-try from Jolly Pumpkin.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Madrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn Stout from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales