Madrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn Stout - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Madrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn StoutMadrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn Stout

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.10% ABV

(Beer added by: Shovelbum on 02-12-2006)

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Thanks Thorpe,

Beer served in a snifter, beer is dark brown hazy, tan head, small bubbles, minimal lacing, low retention, moderate to low carbonation.

Aroma is a little acetic, cherries, tart, lactic, nice.

Beer is medium to light in body, woody, cherries, some Brett character, a little lactic and a little acetic brightness. I like this beer, tastes good, nice finish.

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Bottle picked up at Connecticut Ave in DC.

Blend 6 -- Bottled February 2, 2011. Served in a Jolly Pumpkin tulip.

Pours a very dark brown with a good tan head and a bit of lacing on the sides of the glass as it goes down. Bubbles and a collar around the edges throughout. The nose brings a bit of roasted malt and chocolate, then comes through with mild acidity, a bit of cherry, and some dark fruits.

The flavor pushes the acidity through a bit more, focusing on the cherry with some dark malt in the background. Very slight roast. Light-medium body with good carbonation, a touch of oak, and dry acidity through the finish. Another very high-quality brew from Jolly Pumpkin.

3.35/5  rDev -13%

1 pint 9.4 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into an EKU 28 snifter in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a one finger head of nice tan colour, great cream, good thickness, and pretty good retention for the ABV. Colour is a nontransparent solid black.

Sm: Bretts and funkiness. Some fruit ester hops. Not at all what I expected from the style. I'm intrigued. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Funky yeast with fruit esters. Very different for an imperial stout, but still good. Not complex, but enjoyable. There's sort of some layering going on. Some wild yeasty sourness.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Not too thick or too thin. Complements the flavour pretty well.

Dr: Very drinkable for the ABV, and unique for the style. I like it, but I find myself wondering why they chose this style for the base. I'd get it again at a good price.

B-

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%

4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

105th Review
Bottle to snifter

From notes. Thanks to Mark, Garry, and Steve for the hospitality while visiting HopCat in October 2011!

A: Dark tan; looks like burnt leather. Barely a half (off-brown) fingernail head on medium pour.

S: Sour funk (i.e. Brett) here - mainly dark cherries and plum. Hints of burnt dark malt and oak with sweet dark chocolate. I keep smelling it more and more because I am so interested.

T: Wow - amazingly different! Lactic sourness up-front followed by smooth balance of roasted malt and burnt chocolate (both in a very, very good way). So unique and tasty.

M: Light body and gentle carbonation.

O: A throughly enjoyable beer for sure! So complex and unique that it makes you want more. I love how different it is and that's what kept drawing me back for more smells, sips, and enjoyment until the bottle was gone.

Not sure the vintage on this, but I'd guess it was a few years old becuase it was so well-blended, complex, and smooth. Just my $0.02 here though.

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

ST: 750ml poured into a snifter. Blend number ten: bottled 2-16-11. Bottle lists the ABV.

A: Dark and black with a thin brown head.

S: Roasted malt, coffee, earth, sour fruit.

T: Sour fruit, coffee, smoke, earth, and roasted malt.

M: Medium and dry

O: I have not had a beer by Jolly Pumpkin that I did not like; that streak continues. This beer has nice roasted malt, smoke and coffee, but it also has interesting sour fruit which matches the bitterness of slight hops and coffee bean. The beer is a little light though; it could be heavier.

2.88/5  rDev -25.2%

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Blend 2; Bottle 1/5/11

A - Pours deep brown/black with three fingers of brown head. By far the darkest beer I've seen from JP. Head has great retention and leaves quite a bit of lacing.

S - Tart and funky up front, with some green apple and tart cherry. Then the stout elements become apparent, with roasted malt, bitter chocolate and a bit of milk chocolate. Nice.

T - At first it tastes like a lot of other JP beers, with a funky sourness, including some apple. But midway through, the chocolate and roasted malts really identify this as a stout. There is some sourness throughout, but it mostly hits up front. The finish is roasty and somewhat dry like bitter chocolate. I think this works well.

M - Medium mouthfeel that feels lighter initially and a bit heavier on the finish. Finish is several types of dry: a bit earthy/funky, a bit roasty, and a bit bitter.

O - Definitely an interesting brew from Jolly Pumpkin. I think it works well and is pretty tasty, but it doesn't make me eager to have more sour stouts, either.

4.53/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The label art is what first caught my eye when I saw this slightly dusty bottle tucked away on the top shelf of my local store. Since the majority of the customers around me were carrying cases of Corona or anything that says BUD on it, I understand why this was overlooked.
Honestly, I'm pretty new to learning about craft beers, micro brews, etc., so what I have to say about this comes with limited knowledge.
I tend to enjoy stouts so of course this intrigued me based on presentation. Now, to me it only makes sense that if you're going to try a new beer, that maybe you should investigate what type it is before purchasing. Especially at a cost of $10-$15 a bottle!
The majority of negative reviews were unhappy because they were surprised that this beer starts off sour, then finishes as a stout. From what I understand Jolly Pumpkin's has a reputation for often doing sours. Also there are PLENTY of sites I found that clearly state that this is a "sour stout," and it's quite different that what you may expect.
My point is that most of these dummies, "beer snobs," etc. who gave this brew a poor grade aren't saying it taste good or bad, but more stating that they didn't like it because they didn't get what they were expecting!
This beer is not for most, in fact probably only a select crowd with specific tastes. But giving it a failing score because you didn't bother to research a very specific artisan beer doesn't make it bad, it just means that you're lazy.
I personally thought it was quite good. Very dark, thick head. Pours near black! Starts out very sour ,but not undrinkable. Finishes like a strong stout. Coffee, chocolate, bitter, all the good stuff! Quite thick, and the taste lingers for a while. To me it is very much a sipping beer.
If nothing else, this is worth a try once because it's so unique. Everything from the bottle art, to taste and appearance were different than anything I've ever tried.
So be cool and check out something different, with an open mind!

Madrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn Stout from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales