Madrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn Stout - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Madrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn StoutMadrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn Stout

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.10% ABV

Beer added by: Shovelbum on 02-12-2006

black with a coffee-and-cream colored head that holds for a bit and leaves a little lace. nose reminds me of those chocolate covered cherries you see at the cash register in bodegas that have the liqueur surrounding the cherry. just like that to me, but with a darker, purer chocolate, a higher quality cherry, a more subtle alcohol kick and a touch of roastiness/coffee mixed in with some earthiness for good measure. wood is faint. almost not there. taste is very harmonious, with roast, chocolate and dark fruit in great balance. a hint of sour/tart seems to creep up, but is nipped in the bud by a slight hoppy/roasty bitterness. medium-full body that is soft and finishes mildly bitter. overall, a very subdued, classy and elegant take on the style. a bit of a let-down for me because i was expecting more wood and funk, but i am wondering if more would have thrown it all off. as usual with jolly pumpkin, well made and fun, although this probably isn't one i will be revisiting.

3.92/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter

A- pours a dark brown nearly black, huge fluffy mocha colored head appears and retains very well, spotty lacing but what sticks is pretty sticky

S- really interesting smell with this one, everything seems to blend together with nothing being overpowering, i get the classic JP funk from the start, dark roasted malt and coffee flavors follow, small amount of bitter chocolate, there seems to be a little bit of oatmeal, i can't wait to taste this

T- roasted malt hits the palate first, slightly creamy vanilla with some woodiness to it, bitter chocolate and coffee mixed in, the tartness comes in at the end and finishes bitter, interesting taste, can't say i'm completely crazy about it

M- medium body, somewhat high carbonation, finishes kind of dry and bitter, doesn't coat the palate completely

D- fairly easy to take down, an interesting take from JP, I can't say I'm really crazy about this, something about the roastiness of the stout mixed with the sour funk just doesn't smoothly, not a bad beer just not for me

3.76/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

drank on 3.6.2011 - from sitarist in blind beer #4. blend 2, bottled 1.5.2011

poured out of a 750ml bottle into my chalice glass. what a great looking beer. dark as night with a rich luscious frothy tan head. It is lasting quite some time as I watch the few bigger bubbles pop as the head dissipates on it own snail-like pace. once the head finally exited stage left, it left a nice thin collar and a uniquely random film on top. the beer continues with good fast falling lacing.

the smell on this one is quite unique. with the dark color - i was expecting to be smelling some bourbon or roasted malts - but get more of a sweet smell. there is some faint smokiness and some faint coffee (I think). not an overpowering smell, but I keep putting nose on glass to keep trying to discern the aromas (wow - I realize I just used the term 'nose on glass' as opposed to t*ts on glass. I hate growing up). there is also some grape flavors - so thinking this might be a wine barrel aged beer.

wow. very tart swallow the first go around. some roastiness in the background, but very tart for the most part but also a plentiful amount of hops. there is a good bit of oakiness in here as well. bitterness and roasted malt in the end. a unique brew. medium body with plenty of carbonation.

4.07/5  rDev +5.7%

750 ml bottle poured into Chimay goblet. Batch 360/362.

The bottle opened with a pop and gushed all over my countertop...probably the biggest gusher I've had. It didn't settle down until I finally poured the last of the beer into the glass. Dark black in the center with the slightest touch of brown around the edges when light hits the glass. Foam is light brown and very aggressive, but finally subsides to a small layer and lacing around the glass.

The smell is funky and roasty, with a lot of residual sweetness. Brown sugar, cherry, amaretto, caramel, and a little bit of a red wine vinegar smell. Very complex on the nose, and it really opens up as the beer warms close to room temperature.

The taste is very different, and I definitely can't rate this as a stout. I think this would better fit the American Wild Ale category. The taste starts off with funky brett and then moves into a roasted malt flavor...very close to burnt. There is a little bit of cherry and oak flavor that comes through behind the sourness and roastiness that is actually very nice. Decent amount of complexity here, and I enjoy the different layers of flavor.

This beer has a tingly mouthfeel that might be a tad too much for me. I would prefer something this complex to be a little more subdued in the mouth to allow the flavors to come out more. A pretty easy drinker for either a stout or a wild ale, but nothing you will want to knock back multiples of.

Overall, this beer is probably rated fairly low due to the fact that some people may come in expecting a big stout and get a sour wild ale. I enjoyed the beer and would return to it again at some point in the future.

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

Opened with a crack, big carbonation comes out and fills the room with the aroma of smoke, wood, cherries, vinegar and ash. A bit of geyser flowing, expected from a two year old bottle of a barrel aged belgian/sour stout opened at nearly room temp.

Tastes of roasted grains, tart fruit, oak, over steeped black tea, and a hint of booze. Very enjoyable, very different. Mouthfeel is thin which is expected but detracts from the flavors. I could drink this occasionally, as a rare treat.

Jolly Pumpkin, You are my man crush.

1.41/5  rDev -63.4%

2008 Bottle, Batch 266.

Popped the cap and beer gushed like Mt. St. Helen's. Made a nice sticky mess all over the floor. Placed the bottle in the sink and it proceeded to spew beer all down the drain. Poured softly into an oversized snifter producing 3+ inches of dark brown froth. This has the appearance of infection.
Black in color, no light penetration, slick thin legs of lace.

Aroma of wet cardboard, sour funk, fermented cherries and boozy heat. As well as roasted grain and dark bitter chocolate and a little chemical cleaning solution.
Taste....to be completely honest this tastes like shit. I haven't eaten shit, but this is what I imagine shit tastes like. Dark burnt grains, burnt coffee, dads burnt food he forgot on the grill. This leaves a horrible aftertaste. Fermented cherries, just an awful mess.
Mouthfeel is thin and extremely over carbonated.

Horrid beer.

3.54/5  rDev -8.1%

Bottle had a sticker that said: Blend 2, 2010 that was layered over a sticker that (after working hard at it) said Blend 1, 2010. Not sure if that means anything, this seems like a beer that would do fine with some age on it.

First thing I get is exploding beer when I crack the cap. This beer sat on a shelf at home for two weeks, then in the fridge for a couple days - upright the entire time. So I'm guessing it had something to do with the temperature and/or being overfilled/over carbonated.

Poured a dark black with a red/brown head with medium retention. No light got through. Looks like a thinner stout.

The smell was all Brett - very funky, dry, and bready. There was the traditional sweetness there and that was it. I got no stout flavors despite the descriptors on the bottle.

Tasted immediately of a cherry champagne - sweet and fruity with funky Brett flavors. Very tart, and finishes very dry with some nice stout flavors masked beneath it all - coffee and roasted malt. As it warmed I picked up on grannysmith apple skins, some soapiness, and wet hay. That gave way to plum and mild semi-sweet chocolate.

A medium bodied sour, very highly carbonated, tart and dry. I felt the usual stout coating on the inside of the mouth from the blackened malts.

Drinkability was enough for me to finish the bottle myself, but over time it became more and more of a chore. Also as it warmed I got less and less stout flavors, and I never really could smell much other than Brett and maybe some cherry fruit.

This beer was interesting but WAY oversold on the stoutness. And at $11.99 I'd rather spend a few more dollars and spring for a Cantillon if I want a sour.

4.23/5  rDev +9.9%

A: poured a pitch black with a tan finger of head that left lots of sticky lacing on the glass.

S: off the bat I got oatmeal, chocolate, slight coffee, and a good malt presence that seems to tie in the notes really well. There is also roasty charaters as well.

T: the taste has some really good chocolate flavors with a nice creamy maltiness and also gave way to oatmeal notes but surprisingly had slight tart and roasty accents.

M: the brew was medium body with a fair amount of carbonation that had a slight sweet but tart, toasty, and creamy finish.

D: actually drank pretty good and was decent across the board which was damn tasty and great offering from JP.

1.56/5  rDev -59.5%

The back of the bottle reads "Blend 2, 2010.

I got this beer as a birthday present from a very good friend.
I appreciate his effort to give me a beer I never had before but I will most likely never drink this beer again.

This beer has a very sour scent, it smells almost rancid. It's very tart. I don't see why they categorized this beer as a stout. It only looks like a stout.
I don't taste almost any malt in it. This beer has a very vine-like character. The taste is extremely sour.
This beer is very hard to drink.

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Victory Golden Monkey tuliped snifter...

A - Pours a very thin dark brown body with a massive pillowy white head. The head took some time to recede.

S - Stout eh? So far it is nothing but Brett and funk; but a darker more robust funk. I can smell some dark fruits: prunes, figs, etc. Coming back after letting it sit for a while and warm a bit, I can now smell the roasted malts and a slightly stout like smell, but it is obviously working very hard to break through the Brett funk.

T - Not quite a stout in my opinion. Very funky Brett like taste that is almost sour to taste. Very thin and nothing that would make one think of a stout. Again, like the smell, after letting it sit and warm for a bit, I begin to taste the roasted malts and more stout like flavors of chocolate and some dark fruits.

M - Very thin, almost too thin if you're going to classify this beer as a stout. Very carbonated and fizzy as well.

D - I would not be going back for more after this bottle. It was interesting to taste for sure, but it should more likely be classified as a Wild Ale brewed with roasted malts. The Brett just seems to overpower the entire profile; both smell and taste.

1.78/5  rDev -53.8%

Blend3, 2010 on the back of the bottle.

So far not impressed with this beer. I opened the cap slightly to release the pressure and after a few seconds it started oozing out the opening. Not beer - just head. I finally got the cap off after draining some of the foam and it just oozed out like soft serve ice cream. After pouring a bit off and getting a glass full of foam, the bottle kept oozing.

Extremely sour scent - it smells almost rancid. There is nothing stout, Belgian, nor any combination of the two in this. Very tart and unpleasant.

The taste is similar, though I do detect some presence of roasted malt, black coffee and even chocolate. Not as bad, bit still very sour. If most imperial/double stouts display a wine-like character, this would be vinegar.

Mouthfeel is decent in terms of carbonation, but this is very thin and not at all stout-like.

Very hard to drink. A struggle. Bad bottle, bad batch? Even after letting it breathe and warm there is negligible improvement. Definitely not worth repeating.

3.42/5  rDev -11.2%

Picked this one up yesterday in Bloomington and cracked it open tonight. Reads "Blend 2, 2010" on the back. I had tried it at Dark Lord Day and was looking forward to doing it again on a fresh palate. Cracked it open while getting some work done in the office. A bit of a gusher with the majority landing in my glass, but a meaningful amount hitting the floor. Calmed down when being poured.

Poured into my DFH signature glass several different times. Deep dark brown with a very intriguing head. The head obviously billowed up quickly as I poured my glass about half-full of beer. After giving it some time to settle and drinking a bit, I filled it up again. The original head was very fluffy in the middle with large loosely packed bubbles on the outside. As it settled those larger bubbles became smaller and assimilated with the rest of the head becoming a tan color. The second pour created a billowing up of more loosely packed bubbles pushing the original head upward. This second layer is a darker tan. Upon my third pour, it was more of the same. At this point, I had three layers of head, each varying in bubble density and color. It looked like the multi-layered sand art I've seen in the past - very interesting. Lots of thick lace left on sides.

Originally, the funkiness dominated the nose on this beer. Tart fruits are prevalent. However, the deeper I get into the bottle, the more I smell the roasted malts, dark chocolate, and stouty fruit smell. It is not what one would expect from an imperial stout...unless they knew that it was Jolly Pumpkin. I'm not convinced I'm really a fan of the smell, but it is definitely interesting.

The taste (regardless of how much of the bottle I've had) is definitely not that of a stout. It is dominated by the brett and has a little semblance of an imperial stout. It starts off very wild before moving into what can be recognized as the pre-brett stout. A bit of roasted malt and a hint of chocolate emerge before the finish reminds you that you are definitely drinking a Jolly Pumpkin beer. Interesting, but given the style, not what one would expect. Very thin feeling for an imperial stout. I'm a huge fan of this style of beer, but mouthfeel is a big component of that. This falls way short.

Overall, I actually enjoyed drinking this beer. Ranking against other Imperial Stouts will detract for the Beer Advocate rankings I assign, but certainly a noteworthy beer. Frankly, I'd drink another one just to look at head pile up.

Consumed: 6/8/2010

3.3/5  rDev -14.3%

A Poured black with good carbonation and a dirty white head

S: Funk, roasted malts, fruits, booze

T: Roasted malt, funk, tasted some Earthiness, dark fruit and a sourness, sting of booze on the end and booze is warming throughout

M: Carbonation was good, medium to big body

D: Would not drink again

4.07/5  rDev +5.7%

750 mL bottle tried 3 Jan 2010.

Served in a 0.4 L Kur Pils snifter. Large brown head. Medium carbonation. Dark brown in color. Aromas of molasses, dried fruit, cocoa and ethanol. Sweet and fruity tart to start. Lost of burnt roastiness in the middle. Tart cherries and raisins. Lots of drying oakiness in the finish. Slightly syrupy body.

Tasty but don't need a lot of this one.

4.38/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 360/362

Appearance: Pours a suitably obscure dark color with a magnificent foamy head that leaves an impressive pattern of lace

Smell: Oak and sour cherries dominate the aroma, but underneath one can find, plenty of roast, dark fruit and chocolate

Taste: Opens with a wild and musty flavor of oak, sour cherries and roasted/charred meat; by mid-palate, a hint of sweet chocolate sneaks in underneath; after the swallow, the lactic sour flavors dominate the other subtle aspects into the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body, somewhat creamy, with a lovely delicate foamy carbonation

Overall: Lots of complexity and very interesting; Jolly Pumpkin is a master at presenting lactic sour beers in a range of styles; my first review of this beer had lower scores but re-reviewing Batch 5 (bottled 1/21/11) was an eye-opener that bumped the scores up considerably

3.46/5  rDev -10.1%

I was inspired to try this beer after hearing Jamil and company try to clone it on the Brewing Network. I'm now drinking it while relistening to the episode.

APPEARANCE: Poured into my Duvel glass and wow, did it foam up like crazy! After I finally got it poured and settled down (20 minutes or so), it appeared dark brown to black in color with (obviously) a huge, rocky, dark tan head.

SMELL: The aroma definitely has more sour and tart Belgian than dark chocolate stout-ness. The dark grains are there though but seem to compete with the tart yeast aromas rather than work with them. As it warms, things really start to get interesting with oaky aromas of vanilla doing their best to round everything together.

TASTE: Tart through and through. Yeast sourness is joined by oaky tannins to create something much more resembling a Belgian farmhouse ale. I don't think I could even come close to guessing the color of this if I didn't see it with my own eyes. The only indications of the darkness are on the finish and well after the swallow. A subtle chocolatiness joins the sour and gives you a kind of jarring double take.

MOUTHFEEL: A quite thin body is joined my a medium carbonation to again create a very misleading perception. But for what the beer is, this is probably where it should be.

DRINKABILITY: Reasonably good for a fine sour beer like this. This one will take me all night, but I'm okay with that.

I didn't quite know what to expect from this, and this definitely wasn't it. It'd be nice if it had more of a balance between the Belgian sour and the big black stout flavors. But I won't complain when I get to drink a nice sour beer and this certainly qualifies.

Thanks to AmericanBrew for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a dark brown color with a khaki head. The aroma is brown sugar, alcohol and dark cherries. The flavor is pretty tart with some sour cherries and a lot of notes from the oak aging. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very nice slightly sour stout.

4.01/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

- Aged in Oak & bottled conditioned. Blend 1, 2010.

A: Poured a dark engine oil black with a rapidly rising nestle cocoa colored head that occupied a vast (90%) volume of the glass upon the initial pour. The head was rigid and foamy, while leaving a splattery of deposits along the glass wall. After patiently waiting for several minutes for the head to receed and continue the pour I admired the sturdiness and its coloring as well retention.

S: Suprisingly there wasn't a lot of roasted nature coming off the nose, but was rather yeasty with a sense of dried banana peels, and bakers chocolate. Not a lot of strength or complexity but hints of earthy dried matter did come through on the trail.

T: The roasted nature comes through strongly in the flavor with a creamer laced coffee against an equally strong showing of Belgian yeast providing a slight funk and sourness of fruit (turning pears), and musky appeal. The yeastiness is both spicy, funky and strong enough to hold its own against the dark malts of this porter providing a great complimentary touch.

M: The mouthful was light in body with a oily texture while a ample amount of carbonation giving this a creamy feel and fullness the longer you hold it. A gently coating of fresh coffee grounds and the Belgian yeastiness teases the tongue long after the swallow.

D: A full drinking experience, light in body, but heavy in substance and flavor. A wonderful rich and deep drinking experience worthy of a special occasion. Consume on the warm side (45-50F) for best results.

3.56/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-black looking liquid that is competely opaque. The head is a dark brown mocha looking color. It is very tight but slightly bubbly. Suprisingly good retention, seriously, it never leaves and sits in the glass until I finally can't take it any more and drink it. the lace is quite thick as I enjoy.

S-the nose is very different and expectingly so as a jolly pumpkin offering. It is of course funky, definitely the addition of brett, just a touch of chocolate and roasted malt seems to linger up front; but it is so faint it could be my imagination, sour tart grapes and cherries hit hard as the funk just keeps on going throughout

T-this is more like an american wild ale, tons of sour tartness, obvious additions of brett. Hints of the actual stout are faint right in the beginning and dissapear with less than a hello. The chocolate roasted malts are brief as the funk takes over. Cherries and grapes that are tart and sour dominates the palate

M-tons of carbonation but smooth on the palate. The carbonation makes it rough on the back of the throat and the body is medium at best. It is dry and astringent at the finish

D-this is pretty tasty if your big on the sours. I was hoping JP might find it in there hearts to take a stab at roasty malty goodness or at least allow it to show up. Definitely not an American Imperial Stout.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

I cant remember who sent this to me, maybe d0ggnate?, but thanks to whomever sent this one.

"This Belgian inspired stout, dark as a moonless night, brimming of roasted malt and bitter hops, will keep you good comapany in all places, be they of light or of dark."

Pours from the 25.4oz bottle into a standard pint glass. A large, foamy and voluminous head forms that allows only about seven ounces of beer to be dispensed. Sometime this large head is sign of an infection, but we shall see. Quite rocky in appearance and leaves a generous amount of lacing.

Aroma was quite fruity. A belgian sweetness and a bit of twang was involved as well. Smells a bit sour.

Definitely a bit of sour, brett-like flavors. I am not sure how this one was classified as a Stout when it seems to have plenty of Belgian or Saison characteristics. Not much in the way of roastiness, especially for a double stout. I think this one is incorrectly categorized.

An interesting beer that seems to exist outside of categorization. I liked it. Based on the style assigned, this one completely fails.

4.02/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance: pours a black color with a 1/4" tan colored head that slowly falls to a thick surface foam.

Smell: big funkiness, roasted malts, and a bit of sourness.

Taste: big roasted malt, prunes, some tart red grapes, chocolate, and a hearty bitterness. Alcohol is warming. Definite funk and sourness lingering throughout.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Crisp to start, less crisp and a touch dry at the finish.

Drinkability: a slow sipping beer. One bomber bottle is enough for an evening session. Interesting and different type of stout worthy of a try.

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured the 750 mL bottle (Blend 2, 2010) into an oversized red wine glass to capture the aroma.
A: Black with some dark red hues. Poured with a thick, dense film that lingered.
S: Cranberry with raisins, impressively sour with chocolate sweet malts in the background. The tart fruit aroma is almost too unbalanced... almost.
T: Intensely sour cranberry with a charred, chocolate creaminess. The stout roasted flavors linger in the mouth while the tart berries stick to your teeth like juice. Its taste is much more balanced than its smell.
M: Mildly syrupy with refreshing, spritzy carbonation.
D: Refreshing for the 8.1% ABV. This is very drinkable.

This is in its own category. It is rather difficult to rate because it is not your typical American Imperial Stout.

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

750 ml bottle - Blend 1, 2010 - poured into tulip glass:

Pours black as night - large brown head slowly descends to a lasting cover. Trailing lace sticks.

The smell is of roasted coffee, chocolate and a sour undertone.

The taste is sweet chocolate with a sour undertone that fits the "house character" of the brewery. It has a roasty, semi-sweet, hint of sour, finish.

It is creamy and hits full-bodied - though not thick. Bubbly carbonation isn't quite "effervescent", though close.

An interesting brew - has a "stout" character with the expected sour touch of this brewery. Having had other brews from Jolly Pumpkin, it's about what I expected. A strong stout with a "funky" undertone.

3.58/5  rDev -7%

Poured from 750ml bottle into snifter on 3-7-10.
Huge 3 finger brown head sits atop a dark brown/black beer. The aroma is unexpected for a stout- roasted malts and tart fruit- I can almost smell the usual sourness from JP. The flavor is strange- malty like a stout yet tart and sour like the nose. Very dry mouthfeel. Too carbonated for my liking but good. A few pours were enough but large bottle is perfect for sharing with a friend.

4.27/5  rDev +10.9%

Tap at MI brewer's guild fest winter-06- Thanks to Jadore blanche for sharing- Opaque noire motor oil pour with a ruby tinger mochacchino head. A very interesting combination of chocolate and coffee in the aroma mingles well with oak, brett and sour yeast. Like a belgian stout?!?!?!?!? My ,my, this smells good. A unique tart, yeasty, sour coffee is the frontrunner, and wins the prize for 1st place. An acidic bitterness lingers in the finish, and reminds me that I just drank a coffee, and a beer, and a belgian beer, and a stout, and a...well, so many things. This is a good beer, obscure in one of the greatest ways. Great

Madrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn Stout from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales