Madrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn Stout - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.10% ABV

Beer added by: Shovelbum on 02-12-2006

3.91/5  rDev +1.6%

Wow! Just a warning: pour this one slow. With a medium pour I get a four finger head that creeps to the top of my glass like carmel colored pudding. It fades rocky and caverness leaving puzzle pieces of lace as it slowly recedes. Body is oily blackness. Now this is a stout that has a unique nose with toasty malts and ripe but slightly tart dark fruit tones. The first sip brings a taste that is much like the nose, roasty malts wrapped in tart dark fruit esters. Almost like a fruit pie. Alcohol is warming in the belly. A sense of tannins arrive on the back of the tongue. Dry and bitter is the mouthfeel. For its uniqueness it is nicely drinkable.

3.66/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured into a Unibroue Tulip

A - Pours blacker than black with a huge dark brown head that takes forever to disappear, very nice lacing and big bubbles in the head, really nice looking.

S - It has that Jolly Pumpkin funkiness that I have smelled in some of their other beers, cocoa powder, maybe some oxidation (hard to tell)

T - Syrup, a good sourness, a little non-hop bitterness, and slight wood. Definitely the most different stout I have ever had.

M- Maybe a little thin but not bad, I liked it.

D - I like this but it was difficult to finish the whole bottle, but I am grateful I got to try this.

3.61/5  rDev -6.2%

Beautiful artwork on this label. Not sure what to expect from this beer, but here we go...

A- Huge chocolate brown head about 2-3 inches. Dark opaque liquid. Spiderweb lacing. This one sure is a beauty.

S- What is that I smell? I sure smell some funkiness, some chocolate cocoa, and syrupy.

T- I should have expected a sour/tart stour from JP =) Some bitterness, but overall a sour apple tart flavor followed by chocolate syrup and bittersweet/roasted notes.

M- Needs more carbonation. Very thin and light bodied for a stout.

D- I could not drink more than a glass of this beer because it just did some nasty things to my stomach. However, I appreciate the complexity and the uniqueness of this brew. I recommend giving it a try for the experience.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to viggo for sharing and to bobsy for remembering who shared it! I should have thought to also take notes on who's beer was who's.

Pours a deep, dark brown...almost black. Good cover of moka head. Great lacing. Looks pretty awesome.

Big smell full of alcohol, lots of hops, dark malt, chocolate, astringent, bitter espresso. Woah.

This is a stout? This is unlike any stout I've ever had. From what was discussed that evening, I think it was decided that this was a stout-like sour. A little bit sweet, quite sour, some chocolate. ABV feels a little lower than it is but is still noticeable.

Too thin, the feel could be improved. Thin body and mild carbonation.

While I like this beer, it's not incredibly drinkable. A bit too intense to drink much of, almost like it could upset your stomach if you drank too much (from being too sour, not the ABV). I'd drink this again but wouldn't want any more than half a bomber of this one.

At first I was unsure whether I'd like this beer - while I love funk and sour I wasn't sure how well it would work in a stout. Fortunately my doubts were misplaced, and I think this one is fairly well done. I think something that really works in this beer's favour is that its not overwhelmingly sour, and actually has decent balance.

Midnight black pour with a big bubbly off-white head that left some good lace and exhibited good retention. The nose has sharp coffee to it, some notes of vinegar, and a prominent roast profile. Likewise the flavour has the elements of a stout you'd expect - coffee, chocolate, a roasted bitterness, and some of the aspects of a sour - fruitiness, funk, vinegar. Medium body with a good active carb.

Certainly an interesting experience. The flavours did work together surprisingly well, but I'm not sure how often I'd be reaching for a beer like this. I think I'd probably feel like a stout or a sour, but not a sour stout. Pretty cool, though, and JP know their shit. Thanks to viggo for sharing!

3.56/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm excited to try this one as it seems most either love it or hate it... I'm excited by the thought of a "sour stout..."

Batch #266

A - We have a wee bit of a gusher on our hands... This leads to three fingers worth of airy milk chocolate frothiness that exhibits terrific retention... A dense solid black color... Once the head recedes, the slightest bit of light leaks in through the top... Loads of lace clings to the sides of the glass... A very nice appearance to this one...

S - The funkiness is first and foremost... The chocolate notes are present but take a definite backseat... Cherries... Oak... Perhaps even a hint of vanilla...

T - The roles are slightly reversed... The chocolate notes are first and are of the bitter dark variety but they are quickly replaced by a potent slightly tart yeasty funk that starts slow, crescendos, and then fades into obscurity... Also present are notes of the tartest cherries imaginable... Notes of red wine like tannins increases as the beer warms... Only a very subtle roastiness...

M - Lots of mild carbonation... Dry... A mildly burnt texture... A very delicate stout... Slightly puckering...

D - Kudos to Jolly Pumpkin for creating a brew that is really an all out assault on the senses and keeps you on your toes with every sip... The multitude of complexities makes this one enjoyable, but the aggressiveness weighs on the overall drinkability as does the hefty price tag... A very interesting brew that I suggest BAs try if given the chance, but not one I would necessarily recommend...

Note - I struggled rating this beer more than any other in my 450+ reviews...

4.17/5  rDev +8.3%

The second Jolly Pumpkin beer of the night, shared with my Father and Brother-in-Law.

Appearance - This was one of the only JP beers that was not a gusher. Pours dark reddish/brown, almost black, leaving only about a finger worth of head and minimal lacing. This is not the normal JP "appearance" I am used to, especially after opening the Bam Biere minutes prior and having three inches of fluffy white head. I have another one of these beers and am hoping next time the appearance is more up to JP's standards.

Smell - A bitter coffee and roast smell is at the forefront which is followed by the signature funky, sour smell of JP. This is a quite interesting smelling beer. The sour smells of dark cherries and there is a hint of chocolate in the nose also. This smells so crazy good for the type of beer/style it is suppose to be.

Taste - The taste is the opposite of the smell - as in you immediately taste the funky/sourness which is then followed by the more bitter, coffee notes. At the tail end it finishes up with just a few hints of chocolate. As for the sour, the more sips you take the more you can definitely taste hints of cherry and green apple flavor. This is a very unique imperial stout and I must say I am rather enjoying it with my family.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied (not boozy at all) and lightly carbonated. Again, I feel there was an issue with this beer because the lack of carbonation, but honestly, I liked how it was not super carbonated. It lends to the style well. Finishes with a bit of a bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability - Very drinkable, if you are splitting it three ways. I'm not sure how I'd feel after having one of these by myself. A bit heavy for the JP beers, but such an enjoyable one for the style it is representing. I am glad I have another one and can't wait to have it sometime soon.

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

22oz bomber (Batch #266) poured in the 55 degree range into Chimay glass.

Wow, what a gusher... Never had one that shot off like a geyser before, but that was pretty cool (except for losing a few ounces).

Pours with a relatively soft foamy tan head over a black body with cherry cola edges. Good lacing.

Smell is wild and funky - that really threw me off, given that I was expecting your typical imperial stout. Cherries, chocolate, cinnamon, and plenty of twangy farmhouse funk... Wild!

Flavor was every bit Wild Ale, with tart, biting sour qualities. Some cocoa powder tries desperately to break through the powerful funk, but fails. Bitter bark-like hoppy bite in the finish, with some semi-sweet chocolate on the breath.

Mouthfeel was a lot thinner than I would hope for an 8% "stout" (if that's what the kids are calling it these days). Twang and bite dominate.

This is a sipper, no doubt. Worth enjoying slowly due to the complexity.

Phew, that was a hard one (but fun one) to rate given the ambiguous style and true uniqueness.

3.84/5  rDev -0.3%

from bottle to wine glass

pours with a thick dark tan head with compacted bubbles. black as night.

smell of licorice and dark coffee maybe a hint of apples and some tobacco.

taste is more of the same with a much stronger tart apple flavor up front and the coffee on the end but licorice and tobacco throughout

mouthfeel is very spritzy especially for a stout. but very clean

this beer, for as much as is going on with it, is surprisingly drinkable.

I am convinced after drinking this beer, having tried maracaibo especial and calbaza de oro, that jolly pumpkins beers have sort of an apple flavor to all of them. I'm sure there is a reason for this. i also think that, since most of them are bottle conditioned, they may be best when cellared.

2.48/5  rDev -35.6%

Black with a huge billowing 4 finger head that takes forever to recede. Smell is pungeant hops and belgian yeast. A decent amount of spices are present as well.

The taste is rather odd. Seems that the roasted malt character is just begging to burst out but is being held back by an odd hops character and a light sour/sweet/tart combination that just doesn't work too well. I thought this one might be a little more similar to Black Albert, but alas it ends up just being a mess. A bit gross and completely undrinkable. Not sure what they were really going for here, but it just doesn't work. I see why this beer has such polarizing reviews.

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

Bottle shared by mfielden - thanks, Mark!

A - Black in color with nice creamy head that settles to a film, with a little lacing.

S - Aroma is tart and somewhat lactic with roast, caramel, and some hops.

T - Flavor is roasty and tart (seems lactic) with chocolate and some hops. Pretty good and interesting overall.

M - Nice sharp but smooth palate with medium body and no booziness to speak of.

D - Good. The tartness doesn't really ever overwhelm, nor does the base stout.

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

750ml single from Wilbur's in Ft. Collins, around $9. Edit: Batch 360/362.

A: Inky dark brown, verging on black with an enormous brown head that will not stop growing out of my glass, insane! I've never seen a beer do this before. Excellent lacing, awesome color. Nice looking beer.

S: Has some definite funk to it, big time horseblanket/medicinal flavor, citrus, as well as roasted coffee and dark chocolates, has a sort of Hershey's chocolate syrup note to it as well. Really pulls the nose in a lot of directions. As for style, its there, but hidden under the funk. Very interesting.

T: Fairly bitter, lots of hops in this one as well as dark roasted malts, not incredibly tart, but still has a little bit of a funky sourness, enough to notice. Slightly medicinal. Roasted coffee and a hint of chocolate as well. Spicy alcohol in the end. Has some lingering notes, and the roasted profile lingers longest. Very, very interesting.

M: Mouthfeel is all wrong in this, this is incredibly thin and highly carbonated, definitely loses points here. Slightly warm alcohol though, and a dry finish.

D: One bottle is more than enough to split with someone, lots of different flavors going on here, but they don't play all that nicely with each other. Glad to have tried it, and definitely the most interesting take on an imperial stout I've ever tried. Would recommend to try it, but probably wouldn't buy it again.

3.55/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured a dark brown with a huge head that just stayed and stayed. The aroma was mildewy to me. The taste was bitter and sour, not at all what I was expecting from an imperial stout. The feel was medium bodied, but thin for a stout, with moderate carbonation. Drinkability was average. This really wasn't that good. I guess the lesson is if you want funk, buy funk. The reviews were not that helpful, they were all over the place, but now I know which ones were on the mark.

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

My first Jolly Pumpkin brew. I've been hearing good things about these guys for awhile so I was excited to see their beers start showing up around here in recent months. 750ml bottle poured into a tulip.

Dense coal black body, forms a very large light brown head with just the slightest hint of red. Retention is above average and leaves a very good amount of stringy lacing.

Initial aromas are roasty and coffee-like followed by an understated malt sweetness. The most interesting thing is an almost tart fruity aroma. Tart and coffee may sound like strange bedfellows but it seems to be working well so far. Dry bitter hops are there if you search for them but they're kind of married to a dry oaky character and are kind of lost in the shuffle.

Coffee still right out front on first sip. Really teams up with the oaky tannins for a very interesting earthy dry roasted character. Tartness is even more prominent on the palate, almost approaching sour. Oak reasserts itself on the aftertaste. Lingers for a very long time on the palate. Takes several seconds for all the flavors to come through. Very unique.

Drinkability is pretty average. As much as I enjoyed the big, unique, flavors even with the medium for the style ABV the 750 was more than I was looking for. I'll probably buy again to share with a friend.

Overall a very interesting and enjoyable brew. One of the more unique that I've tried in the style. I'm glad Jolly Pumpkin is becoming more available in my area and I'll definitely be giving more of their brews a try as I see them.

4.59/5  rDev +19.2%

750ml bottle. Taste (and smell) are what you would expect from a high-quality stout: roasty, chocolate (specifically dark chocolate bitterness), coffee. The aftertaste on this though is the characteristic JP flavor the slightly tart yeast taste. It makes for a wonderful combination.

4.23/5  rDev +9.9%

A: "Darker than a moonless night." Ominous thick brown head that remains throughout the enjoyment of this masterpiece. Lacing unlike that which I have ever seen. The lacing, and this may be by sheer coincidence, looked more akin to stained glass. Very cool.

S: Coffee is the first aroma on the nose. This is followed up and complemented by almost a coal smell. In the back of the nose you will enjoy a tart hint that reminds me of plums that were picked too early.

T: Heaping notes of coffee and cocoa. The roasty goodness is cut by a sour/tangy sharpness buried in the recesses of this evil-looking brew. Black cherries and dates are seemingly present, but this beer is by no means fruity. This beer is a roasty coffee with bitter chocolates. The alcohol provides spice and warmth as the temperature of the brew rises.

M: Big carbonation and medium bodied.

D: The odd thing about this beer is that, as good as it is, I could only see myself having two at the most in one sitting. It is not overly boozy and it is certainly delicious enough. Hmmm???

Batch 360/362

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

750ml. Batch #266. Served in an oversized tulip and split with BA Infestaxion.

A: Pours jet black, with a nice coffee tint. This one was a gusher! Leaves some crazy lacing on my Duvel Tulip. Looks very enticing.

S: Heavy funk of Belgian yeast and a some tart cherries/dark fruit. A little bit of oak is in there as well.

T: Slight roasty malts up front, with some dark fruity funk. Finish is highlighted by Belgian yeast and a slight sourness. Complexity grew significantly as the beer warmed up.

M: Very carbonated, probably a little too much. Could be a thicker.

D: The ABV is very well hidden, and it goes down very smoothly. The beer opened up more to my liking as it warmed up. The high carbonation does makes it easy to drink, but the sour finish prevents you from drinking it too much.

Probably my least favorite offering from Jolly Pumpkin. Of course even their "worst", is a very solid beer. I believe the bottle we tried has a little more than a year on it, so I'm thinking this doesn't age that well. I'll have to try a fresh bottle down the road and compare it. Mahalo!

4.07/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured an opaque black with lots of visible carbonation. Huge head that took up nearly half the glass despite being poured gently. Had to drink through the head as it showed no sign of dissipation.

The smell is great. Very nice aroma of fruit, coffee, chocolate, perhaps some hints of caramel or vanilla. Some alcohol comes through, but overall the smell is a combination of fruit, coffee and chocolate.

Woah! The taste is bizarre. Definitely not what I expected from the smell. Lots of malt, a hint of hops and a ton of sour fruit! The tip of the tongue tickles and front of the mouth almost puckers from the sour fruit flavor. The finish is a bit dry and bitter with an alcohol presence. Very strange, although enjoyable once the initial shock passes. The sour fruit and dry coffee bitterness actually compliments well toward the end of the experience.

3.86/5  rDev +0.3%

750 ml bottle poured into stout glass.

Batch 360/362

A: Poured a deep brown, nearly opaque. This one's got a huge light brown fluffy head, at least four fingers that took a considerable amount of time to settle down to two fingers. Head had exceptional retention and left some nice lacing.

S: Smelled of sour chocolate. Roasted malt as well as bit tart.

T: I was not expecting this. Taste is very tart and sharp, leaves a bizarre sour taste on the very tip of the tongue and front of the lips. Dark roasted malt gives it a nice coffee flavor and the earthy hops give it a nice muskyness. Slight alcohol presence, hidden well. There is also a drying effect brought on by the yeast. I didn't like this one at first, but as it went on, I kind of warmed up to the sour effect.

M/D: Body was medium, not quite full. Extreme amount of carbonation due to bottle conditioning.

4.06/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - This beer poured a dark brown color with red highlights which produced a huge, fluffy tan head which had great retention and laced the side of the glass nicely

S - The aromas produced by this beer were overwhelmed by the funkiness of the beer, I was able to get some of the roasted malts from the nose, however

T - The taste of this beer was a highlight for me, being a huge fan of Bell's Cherry Stout, the roasted malts clash with the funk in a very delicious way, and the combination of tart and sour fruit hits the button for me

M - The mouthfeel of this beer is a little bit of a miss for me, it didn't have the body that I like in my Imperial Stouts, but the carbonation was right on the money

D - While I thought this was a wonderful beer, this is a once in a while choice for me, for my Sour Stout fix I would probably turn to Bell's Cherry Stout first, but only because of the price

4.6/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor.

A: It's not nicknamed the Dark Dawn Stout for nothing. It's about as dark as before the dawn with a nice dark brown head.

S: Smokey sourness. You can definitely tell it's a stout but on the other hand you can definitely tell it's brewed by Jolly Pumpkin. What a great/funky combination!

T: When it hits your mouth it's real sour but as you drink it, a nice smokey stout flavor roars in with a fine Belgian influence. It's a little bitter but the roasted malt evens it out.

M: Highly carbonated. Not terrible though.

D: Very drinkable. I could drink this stuff all night.

Overall, I love this offering from Jolly Pumpkin. It's very experimental but they pull it off quite nicely. On my list it's second to only the Noel!

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

Sampled on 7-31-09
Batch 359/363

Pours pitch black, not light whatsoever. A sizable tan head sits on top, and lasts the whole time, leaving thick, glass-covering lacing.

Smell is thick and malty, with a distinct sour quality. A little young, but quite complex, with subtle aromas of smoke and anise. The alcohol is there, but fits well.

Taste is a sharp sour bite, with lots of sweet malt to back it up. Not as complex as the smell, with a pleasant bitter and sour finish.

Mouthfeel is perfect, thick to go with the maltiness, and great carbonation to help the sourness.

Drinkability is good, if you're in the mood for sweet, earthy, and sour.

Overall, the most interesting Jolly Pumpkin I've had. A great choice for something different.

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a pint glass. Batch 266.

A- Pours a dark, chocolate brown with a massive tan colored head.

S- The aroma consists of roasted coffee beans, chocolate malts and bit of funk.

T- This was definitely out there. Upfront a surprisingly sour taste takes over the palate. Combine this with ripe cherry skins and you got one hell of a mix. Following is the robust flavor of roasted malts with a bit of hops. This one was blended perfectly.

M- Medium bodied. WAY too much carbonation. I definitely think this batch may have had issues with this.

D- Highly drinkable. The sourness was by no means overpowering and actually created an interesting blend.

Overall, really like where JP is going with this one. It is definitely outside the box, but they definitely pulled this one off. The only negative I have is that there was definitely issues with the carbonation.

3.96/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours thick and lush and settles matte black in the glass with nary a highlight to be found. Capped by a massive amount of fluffy thick dark tanned foam that remains there without much movement. It just sits there like melting ice cream. Very impressive! Oh, and lacing sticks around like tiny caves and caverns in hugely thick shelves.

Upon the first waft it becomes evident this isn't your average Impy stout. This speaks up of lambic-like soured creamed coffee, sour dark cherries, tartly bitter Belgian chocolate, and yeasty funkyness that is quite Brett-like.

Taste has far more funk to it then the aroma leads you to believe. Squeezingly soured, lip smackingly tart and dry with quite the yeasty supply of Brett-like flowery bitterness and high ended tartness of dark cherry skins, orangey pith, white and pink grapefruit pulp with a moderate stroke of tender sweetness underneath of burntish coffee, toast, Belgian bittered chocolate, and char that quickly slips into drier deeds done dirt cheap. And I mean dirt. It has a remarkable way of creating a dirt-like earthy dryness of say what its like after licking a rock or eating fresh daisy petals. Way out there with unique character for an Impy stout and definately not out of the realm of what Jolly Pumpkin is capable of pulling off.

Mouthfeel is all funky tartened and dry within a fairly smooth and airy medium body. It starts with a huge spark of the funk then gradually softens its hold into all sorts of earthy drying things.

Due to its more funky side of being what any normal take on a Impy stout would be this stuff is not as drinkable as I would like nor can handle. It's a little much for me and is one for sippin' and taking your time with. Get down and get funky with one.

3.11/5  rDev -19.2%

A: Pours a pitch black color. At first a one finger beige head forms, and recedes to a ring. Some nice spiderweb lace is left behind.
S: Sour fruits and funky barnyard aromas up front. Some vinegar as well. Roasted chocolate and coffee as the aroma lingers. Interesting, but it does not really mesh well for me.
T: Follows the nose. Lots of sour fruits and barnyard flavors. Vinegar and tannin flavors. Lightly roasted chocolate and coffee. Again, interesting but not the best combination in my opinion.
M/D: A medium body that is a little over carbonated for my tastes. The alcohol shows along with the prickly carbonation makes this a little harder to drink that I would like. Though, a good beer to sip on.

I do enjoy this beer. Though, like I said above the sourness and roasted character does not mesh all that well for me. Without a doubt it is worth a try, but more out of interest than anything.

Madrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn Stout from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales