Madrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn Stout - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.10% ABV

Beer added by: Shovelbum on 02-12-2006

4.62/5  rDev +20%

I love stouts and I have come to enjoy most sour beers. If you feel the same way, you will almost certainly love this beer. If you are not into sours, and I was not for quite a long time, you may not enjoy this one.

Pours an opaque black with a thin tan head. Nice.

Smell is dominated by sour funk and roasted malts in a really awesome combination.

Taste is exceptional. A rich variety of flavors throughout; the taste keeps changing as you drink and it warms a bit. Roasted coffee from the malts and a puckering sourness start things off, then a hint of dark chocolate comes through, then a strong blast of citrus. and a bit of raisin and cherry at the end.

Mouthfeel is rich but a bit thin with very nice carbonation.

Very drinkable. Moderate ABV make it possible to drink more than one. The sour slows you down, as does the complex flavor.

Eight months ago, I tried one of these and could not stand it. My opinion has changed completely.

HV

4.08/5  rDev +6%

A sour stout? Friggn sweet!
This was poured at 60 deg into a large belgian glass from a capped belgian style bottle.
Thick frothy dark brown head sits atop a velvety black abyss. The aroma is of spice and hints of coffee partnered with burnt grain.
The lead off sip picks up tangy burnt toast and dark chocolate with cherries bringing up the rear. A clean sour flavor fills the mouth to a slight pucker then fades into toasted grain. burnt toast and coffee. A mild tart finish keeps this from being to aggressive from the dark malts. This was much better as it reach room temp.
This is a good one for those who are into the sour beers not as an intro.

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

A- deep brown in color with excellent retention on a big fluffy tan head

S- roasted malts and some sour aromas

T- roasted malts, toffee, licorice, some citrus, not overpowering but very noticeable and well blended sourness

M- smooth full bodied brew with good carbonation and a sticky after

D- interesting stout, complex, sourness is delicious, recommeded

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

If you have this in a bottle, be very careful opening it because it foams like all-get-out!

Pours a rich, opaque sable with a very thick and fairly persistent dark tan head. Aroma is fairly strong and has chocolate, smoky and coffee components. Flavor is like cold coffee with some sweet fizz and an undertone of dark chocolate. There is also some apple flavor and a bit of an alcohol nip, giving the taste a cidery component. Texture is smooth but not watery.

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours deep dark black with a thick rootbeer loke head that hangs around for some time! The nose has some sour licorice and diesel aroma. The taste has yeasty bread dipped in soy sauce. Kinda a salty sour flavor going on. What a unique stout. The mouthfeel is light for a stout but who cares this beer has so much going on I don't miss the typical malt flavors. The drinkabilty is pretty smooth if your open to crazy flavors. I would drink this again.

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

Shared with a couple friends, served in a red wine glass.

At first sniff, I wasn't as fan. The chocolate malts, mixed with the sour element, kind of smelled like sour chocolate milk. However, as it warmed, the two elements separated to create a please tangy cocoa smell with hint of oak barrel vanilla. The flavor follows suit with a sour tang mixed with dark chocolate and a hint of coffee that relax into a balanced, bitter aftertaste.

I'd call this an American Wild ale, as I think the wild elements define this beer much more than the dark malts - I'd also call this delicious. Give it a try.

3.44/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - This beer looks damn good after it's poured. Dark heavy black with a head that came to a hefty tan two finger height. Huge amounts of lacing left all over the glass, blanketing it with a tan coating.

Smell - A definite sour cherry funk swirls all around this one. Not much else can be detected. It definitely smells like a Jolly Pumpkin brew.

Taste & Mouthfeel - High amount of carbonation with a sour hit to the palate. Chocolate and coffee flavors help to give this one a backbone. Toasted malts mix in with a tart fruitiness (Cherries) to finish bitter and dry on the back of the tounge.

Drinkability - Sour beers aren't my cup of tea, but this one is quite intresting as it holds together very well as a mix of sour and stout.

4.31/5  rDev +11.9%

Batch 266

The beer pours black and completely opaque with a huge cocoa tan head that stays around very well and leaves a ton of lacing. The smell is layered, with chocolate, toffee, coffee, and a noticeable oakiness (bourbon?). The taste surprised me by having a much more bitter hop flavor than I picked up in the nose. Still some nice cocoa and coffee, and the oak (bourbon?) barrel taste comes through very well, and the finish lasts forever leaving a sour tinge right on the tongue. Mouth is medium with great carbonation. Not as thick or creamy as expected but very pleasant. Overall I find this to be an exceptionally drinkable stout. Highly recommended!

4.7/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Man oh man, how I love Jolly Pumpkin and this beer is no exception. Leave it to JP to pull off a barrel aged flavored stout that has a sour tinge to it...for me, heaven.

I shared this with three fellow BAs at Oldsmar Tap House (Oldsmar, FL,) from a 750ml bottle into small snifter taster glasses.

Appearance - Dark as night, with a lacey caramel head that lasted the entire session. Seemed think on the pour as well, like motor oil.

Smell - Once it warmed up, we were able to fully enjoy this beers complex aroma. It has the typical JP funkiness with hints of fruit (maybe cherry) and roasty chocolate. I sniffed it so much, at one point I almost inhaled it, it smelled so delish.

Taste - Not sure how they did this but for me it started sour and ended with a chocolate roast. I love the almost bret funkiness aftertaste as well.

Mouthfeel - Low level of carbonation, smooth mouthfeel.

Drinkability - just incredible. I didn't want the bottle to end, and with the ABV so subtle, I would have had a second bottle if I wasn't driving as I didn't know I was drinking such a robust stout. Amazing as always JP - keep up the good work.

3.71/5  rDev -3.6%

Appearance: Black with brown highlights, totally opaque. The first pour produces a perfect 3 finger head and the retention on this thing was ridiculous, it never came close to receding.

Smell: Typical stout aromas of cocoa and roasted malt are mixed with a big wild bretty aroma, notes of oak and slight sourness. Strange to say the least.

Taste/mouthfeel: Flavors of baker's chocolate, charred malt, woody tannins and tons of brett funk. High carbonation on a medium body. The mouthfeel is bone-dry. The finish is a bizarre mix of roasted malt, funk, sourness and oak.

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

This beer poured pitch black and formed a huge foamy medium tan head that left latticed lace as it slowly subsided. Very much like a rootbeer float, typical Belgian style. The aroma was of malt, chocolate and that Belgian farmhouse element. The flavor was of malt, chocolate and coffee. The body was medium light and the finish slightly burnt. Not a bad beer, but rather light for a stout, yet not complex like a Belgian. At 10 dollars, I just have better options from Michigan.

3.08/5  rDev -20%

Jet black in color and very highly carbonated. Almost as if it is infected-the foam goes on forever. Great looking beer but a hassle to get to as you wait for some of the foam to receed. Somewhat sour and funky aroma. Heavily wild, Belgian taste and flavor. Funky-brett?-flavors. Not a lot of the roasted notes I was expecting. Puckering and tangy mouthfeel. I have had Jolly Pumpkin beers in the past though this is a tad different. Decent enough beer but none of the stout characteristics I am looking for. Too Belgian. Might be me but I dont think so overall. See if you like it-dont think I could do it a second time. Great label though.

4.02/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a dark brown in color with a huge rocky head. Plenty of nice webbing on the glass and a continuous froth remains atop the beer.
Smell is the same wonderful tart/funkiness that you'd expect from JP. This is a completely different stout than I've ever had and I'm loving the twist. Plenty of dark roasted malts/chocolate coming through that reminds you this is a stout. Full and creamy mouthfeel. I've yet to have a bad beer from JP. I love them!

4.21/5  rDev +9.4%

The color is near black with some maroon hues and a silky dark brown head. Nice lace and retention.

The nose has roasty malts, chocolate, espresso, and ripe berries. There is also a nice oak and vanilla presence. Rounding it it out fruity wild yeast presence.

Taste has dark malts, bitter hops, cocoa, molasses, espresso and tart citrusy yeast.

Medium body is well carbonated. Another tasty brew from JP.

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

Thanks very much to northernbrews for the opportunity to try this one. 750 ml bottle (no batch#) served in a nonic. Poured an opaque black color with a three inch khaki-colored head reminiscent of milkshake froth. Rings of sticky lacing with good retention present during the tasting. Scents of chocolate, dark fruit and a mild citrusy funk. Funk is more pronounced in the flavor, but not overwhelmingly so, as well as the presence of a mild roastiness and coffee character; some slightly metallic undertones became apparent as the brew warmed. Lively mouthfeel (lots of effervescence) with citrus character in the nose pronounced as a sour pucker at the finish. Creative tribute to the style, not at all what I initially anticipated, based on the nose, but the boldness affects the overall drinkability in my opinion.

4.6/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Wow, this beer was awesome. I didn't know what to think when I was told this was a sour stout. Leave it to Jolly Pumpkin to pull it off. This was way better than I expected.

Poured part of a 750ml bottle into a snifter.

Appearance - This brew poured like thick motor oil. It produced a solid 2 finger latte foam texture head. A swirl of the glass brought the head back immediately - excellent retention. It is nearly opaque black. The head leaves behind some great lacing. This is a nice start.

Smell - The scent on this beer is amazing. Of course it has that typical Jolly Pumpkin funkiness. I get notes of sour cherry, peach, and roasty chocolate. It has a distant herbal hop aroma that really brings up the rear - the scent is crazy.

Taste - What an awesome feat of brewing madness. This brews opens with a sour note and ends roasty - I think that if it had been reversed, this beer would have failed. The sour is tied to sweet chocolate which then evolves to roastiness when is then tied to hoppy bitterness. What an awesome roller-coaster ride. The acidic nature of the sour flavor cuts through the sweetness. The sourness increases as it warms. The ABV is completely hidden in this one.

Mouthfeel - This brew has medium/full body. It has a slight acidic feel as it washes over the tongue. Good level of carbonation to cut through the acidity and the sweetness.

Drinkability - This beer is awesome. Who would have thought a sour stout would be this awesome? This brew was conceptually and technically executed perfectly. The ABV is hidden, the smell and taste are awesome, what more could you want?

4.08/5  rDev +6%

Batch 266. 750ml bottle. Pours a dark black color with a creamy tan head that possesses incredible retention and lacing. The aroma is very dark and roasty with just a hint of sour funkiness and yeast. I am also picking up some oak in the aroma as well. After the enticing aroma, my mouth is watering in anticipation. The taste is a nice dark and roasty stout with a good amount of bitterness, that is joined with that unique Jolly Pumpkin funkiness. Damn, there is a lot of roastiness and bitter coffee flavors in the finish. Overall, this is a really unique offering that I enjoyed. I wouldn't want to drink this every night, but it is something different that I can appreciate for it's uniqueness. Recommended.

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

Courtesy of MiguelMandingo. Thanks!
Pours a rich chocolately brown to black color with not much head to speak of. Smell is wood, a bit funky and tart roastiness. Taste is als tart and roasty with sour cherry like flavors mingling with chocolate. Medium bodied with light carbonation. Reminds me of a cherry stout, but is a bit more unique than that with some added complexity. Enjoyed this much more than I expected.

3.81/5  rDev -1%

On cask at the Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours black/dark brown, with a thick milk chocolate coloured head, thick lacing, good head retention, big bubbles.

S: JP funk, chocolate.

T: Get a start with light coffee and espresso, dark chocolate, then the lactic acidity comes in and glides the beer to it's finish. An interesting take on a stout, a throwback to the days when porter and stout where aged in oak barrels, and sent across the sea. Possibly the closest one can get to a 18th-19th century stout contemporarily.

M: Light carbonation, acidity, I'd reckon' a pH around 3-4, refreshing for a dark beer.

D: An interesting beer to have on cask, really brings the darker flavours to the limelight, sour stout, now there's an interesting idea, but it worked.

2.73/5  rDev -29.1%

Bottle courtesy of Hogtownharry: Poured a deep black color stout with a big light brown foamy head with some good retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of roasted malt is mix with some sour bretty notes. Taste is also a mix between some roasted bitter malt notes with some sour and bretty notes which didn't mix very well IMO. Medium body with some good carbonation and no apparent alcohol. I am usually one up for experiment but the mix between stout and bretty Belgian is something I could do without.

UHH! I am not sure what just happened,here.I either love this stuff and it opens my mind to a whole new way of looking at beer or it is the worst bottle of pisswater,I have ever had.I am torn.

I have scored this beer as all 3.0's.But there is NOTHING average about this.I split it right down the middle because of my love/hate relationship with it.

Sour?/Sweet?, Beer?/Wine?.There's alot going on here.Everyone should give it a try and decide for themselves.Jolly Pumpkin is definitely marching to a different drummer.

3.08/5  rDev -20%

A-Black with dark brown highlights. Thin tan head that reduces to a film.

S-Raosty with sour notes. Some scent of dark fruit. A very interesting scent...not in a bad way.

T-Whoa! This is quite sour to start..but then, Oh..roastiness. Personally this is a bit to up front sour for me. I do like the flavours that develop after the sourness disapates.

M-Thin with a puckering quality. I really do not enjoy this for a long period.

D-Too sour for me and an odd flavour that I dont want in a stout. I certainly always like to try a new beer but this is not one that I will revisit.

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

What a weird beer.

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a snifter.

Pours rich and super dark with a thin tan head that hangs out around the edges throughout the drink. Nose is classic JP funk with roasty malts and alcohol. Taste is sweet and sour with a strong bitter aftertaste. Some really bitter chocolate, raisins, and a lot of grapefruit shine through. Mouthfeel is pleasant throughout, nice carbonation and slightly syrupy.

Easily one of the strangest stouts I've ever had. The funk and the roast seem to temper eachother to a large extent, which I think is the real triumph of this beer. Not a bad brew at all.

4.24/5  rDev +10.1%

A- Poured from a 750ml into a Riedel snifter glass. Pours a pitch black with a dark tan lacy head.

S- Extremely complex! Jolly Pumpkin funk for sure. But you also get dark sweet malt notes. I would say the JP funk is stronger in the nose though.

T- Like eating a grapefruit. Not grapefruit notes but actual grapefruit. You get JP funk for sure...Pedio, and Lacto with some Brett. You also get citrus notes from the funk/sour with dark coffee and chocolate notes. This is a million flavors in a beer. Every time I taste I get different notes. GRAPEFRUIT!

M- A bit thin for a stout but about right for a sour beer. Good level of carbonation too

D- Oh yeah I could drink a few glasses of this. Nice easy drinker. A bit high on alcohol but very enjoyable. Try this if you get the chance.

4.17/5  rDev +8.3%

Review #400.

How cool is this! I figure that I'm just starting to get comfortable with my range of consideration in my second year and I follow BAs who have considered almost TEN TIMES that in only twice the time. So, what do I know? Doesn't matter...the following are "notes to self":

I've been really curious about this one for some time now.

You can see through the pour and its dark brown; can't be sure if it's clear or cloudy. A gentle pour yields better than a full finger foamy tan head that fades fairly quickly to surface, but visible effervescent tiny surface pools struggle to keep it a live. A nice amount of Belgian lacing present. The smell is really complex. There is a malty residue on the lip of this bottle that smells like sticky chocolate malt. A big whiff past that reveals the 'funk' awaiting below. I'm really pleased that this sample doesn't seem overwhelmingly wild or sour. The tart character seems to become more prevalent as it warms and the closer you get to the goodies at the bottom. So keep it cool & drink it fast (what a stupid thing to say!) This sample was undisturbed for a number of days before this review. Light bodied, substantial carbonation lends a creamy texture to the mouth without being overwhelming. A very nice complex touch if you ask me. The roasted malt flavor is more subtle than the tart or bitter hop (& funk) but well within the tolerance of those that chose to consider this Brewer's interpretation and expanded definition of this style. Hey Man!, don't be distracted. Take time to "smell the roses"!

Hey BigDaddyWil, thanks much for the opportunity. I'll be knocking on your door for more of this. Peace.

Madrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn Stout from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales