Noel De Calabaza - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Noel De CalabazaNoel De Calabaza

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

"Belgian Christmas Ale aged in oak barrels."

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 10-21-2007)

Batch 333/334 (I guess they mixed 'em) 16.9 oz Bottle

Poured into my new 16.5oz Cervoise from BeerAdvocate, thanks guys for the cheap set. More money for great beer.

Appearance: Dark sort of brown with a redish hint to it, beautiful lacing, not too much not too little perfection.

Smell: First thought is wine, second is malt, then some spices

Taste: winey fruity, sour aftertaste, but soft enough to be very drinkable

MouthFeel: surprisingly great, almost feel the lacing on your cheeks.

Drinkable: I agree with Sevenfiftymilly 10!

I had the privilege to visit this brewery but only one 16.9oz bottle of Noel left. I'm buying more next Christmas, if you get a chance buy it, and absolutely age one.

Special Ale indeed.

Not to mention great, great artwork, Mahalo to Laurie Jeffries who was so friendly when I came in to buy her families awesome beer. I love the Black Beard flag.

4.95/5  rDev +22.8%

*Batch: 626, Bottled: 9-29-10 (Aged a little over a year)

Poured from a 750ml into a standard tulip glass. Extremely dark brown in color with a large fluffy off-white head that hangs around through out. Smells slightly of vinegar and fermented grapes, sweetness and malt. Taste is incredibly smooth.. vanilla, Light vinegar and fermented grapes coming through. A little oak, some cherries, pear, and sour apples. After taste is similar to La Roja with a slight oaky finish and that of vinegar and sweet malt. All well balanced through out, simply perfect. This beer just made my list of favorites overall.

*also I love the label artwork big time!

4.93/5  rDev +22.3%

This beer pours a mahogany color with a billowy egg shell white head that recedes slowly leaving sticky lacing. Like Pavlov's dog I salivate to the aroma of this beer...literally. It is of bretta, oak, plums, and a vague spice notes. The taste is sour and tart upfront with a hop kick that is stronger than I had expected. It finishes with with a firm sourness, oak, and some heat. The mouthfeel is full bodied with a high level of fine carbonation, and a velvety texture. Overall, this is a wonderful beer. I can see this beer pairing well with a wide variety of foods. I will certainly drink this again may times.

4.9/5  rDev +21.6%

Wow! Where did I score this?!? Fantastiche! The nose was musty, brett-laden, and simply wild. There was a thin, light brown head, but it quickly reduced to wisps. The color was a deep brown with ruby highlights. Mouthfeel was thick and efferevscent with just a touch of the characteristic J. P. sourness. There was a bite on the tongue, but nowhere as overpowering as some of the Pumpkin's offerings. The finish lingered with a great bite, but again, not so intense as to put off the uninitiated. It may have been my aging (dated 2, 2007), but I would serve this to guests without hesitation.

4.84/5  rDev +20.1%

4.83/5  rDev +19.9%

Blend 2, 2009

This is one hell of a beer!! I'd almost swear I was drinking my favorite Belgian quadruple. Hell, this might replace my favorite during the season.

A: Pours a nice brown with red hues coming through. This one has some major angry carbonation. I tried my normal vigorous pouring method and I ended up with a fist plus of head. It finally settled down to a persistent half-finger layer that produced some insane lacing.

S: Malty sweet. A little hops in the background. But the thing that caught my nose was the fruit. Cherries - sour/tart cherries. A hint of the oak comes through.

T: All of the nose comes through with the addition of a hint of apple. The spice blend really adds something to the flavor.

M: Dry yet creamy as it goes down. Effervescent. It hides the 9% well.

D: You have to find this and try it. Share it with friends - appropriate for this time of year. I'm going to get bottles for my better beer drinking friends and more than a few more for me!

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

4.78/5  rDev +18.6%

Blend 1, 10/26/10

A beautiful garnet hued gem, pouring a rocky, thickly aerated head of the lightest tan.

Aromas and flavors of musty cellar, caramelized fig, brown sugar, oak, fresh leather, black cherry, plum, green olive, citrus blossom and a well-integrated herbal other worldliness.

Mouthfeel is a spritely, crisp, ever-present tickling of carbonation. Very nice acidic finish that is beautifully balanced by the brown sugar, oak and figgy notes.

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%