Noel De Calabaza - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Noel De CalabazaNoel De Calabaza

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

"Belgian Christmas Ale aged in oak barrels."

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 10-21-2007)
View: Beers (36) |  Events

szmnnl99

05-17-2014 02:51:52 | More by szmnnl99
BMMillsy

3.95/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Green capped 750 ml bottle from Gator Beverage, Batch 165, 167, 172, 174, dated 10/23/13 poured into Unibroue tulip on 5/12/14. Pours opaque brown that turns a bright ruby color when held up in the light. Big fluffy off white head that lingers for a good while. Aroma is sour cherries, some dark fruit, light spice, oak. I was expecting something different but this smells excellent. The flavor is chocolate covered cherries, light spices, a hint of balsamic vinegar, dry oaky finish. Sweet around the edges of the tongue. Medium bodied with effervescent carbonation. Goes down pretty easy. I really didn’t know what to expect from this brew, but it is really nice and seems pretty unique. I would have this again.

05-12-2014 23:42:07 | More by BMMillsy
reebtaerG

Maryland

3.94/5  rDev -2.2%

Had on draft at Lures on 5/7/14

A-Dark reddish brown with a small tan head. Spotty lacing

S-Aromas of red wine, wood, light tannins, black cherries/berries, and leather.

T-Taste in the front has tart cherries with a hint of oak. Sweet, in an acidic kind of way. Finish with notes of cherries, green apple, and orange zest.

M-Medium/full body, oily texture, medium carbonation, medium sweet and light/medium sour.

O-Overall it was surprising to taste sour had to get use to it. I wouldn't have for a holiday ale.

05-12-2014 12:34:03 | More by reebtaerG

04-13-2014 00:34:28 | More by nmann08
StoutHunter

4.24/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Jolly Pumpkin's Noel De Calabaza a few months ago for $13.99 at The Lager Mill. I had this beer awhile ago and I don't remember much about and I thought I should revisit it and it give it a proper review, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 10/12/13. Poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a Jolly Pumpkin Snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice seasonal look to it and I think it's fairly eye catching. It poured a murky dark brown color that had a red tint to it and it took on more of a dark red color when held to the light with two and half fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a nice fruity aroma being the first to show up, there's some berry and other fruity aromas showing up but it seems like it's the tart cherry that show up the most. Up next comes the signature Jolly Pumpkin yeast that add just enough funky and light barnyard like aromas to this beer and it mixes with a nice noticeable oak and woody aromas with a light amount of spices showing up towards the end. This beer had a very nice aroma, I really liked how well the fruity aromas worked with the funky yeast and barrel aspects.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by that same fruity aspect that I got in the aroma with the berry and tart cherry like aromas sticking out the most followed by a higher amount of medium tartness. Up next comes that funky Jolly Pumpkin yeast which shows up just enough and it's followed by the right amount of noticeable oak and woody barrel flavors. Towards the end I get a nice malt flavor with some toasted malts coming through along with a slight spicy flavor and there was some slightly lingering tartness, funky yeast and fruity flavors in the aftertaste. This was a very nice tasting beer, I thought the balance was really nice, no single aspect was too overpowering.

M- Smooth, not too acidic, a little refreshing, crisp, a little prickly, medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation bordering one being highly carbonated. This bee had a very nice mouthfeel, I have no complaints at all.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and I thought it was a pretty good example of a sour, BA has it listed as a Belgian Dark Strong Ale, but other then the light toasted malt aspect I don't find this beer to match up with the style, but I think it fits pretty well as a Sour or American Wild Ale. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, pretty crisp, a little prickly, a little refreshing, not too acidic, not too filing and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, Drinking a whole bottle might be a little too much for me, but I think splitting it with someone is perfect. The flavor doesn't really come off as too winter seasonal like and I think this beer would be nice to have in the summer. What I like the most about this beer was the balance, nothing was too overpowering and the flavors seemed to work pretty well together. There wasn't anything that I disliked about this beer, I thought it was great just the way it is and I can't think of anything to improve it. I would buy this beer again and I wouldn't mind keeping a couple bottles around in the cellar. I would recommend this to anybody who like sours or American Wild Ales. All in all I was a little impressed with this beer and I'm glad I decided to revisit it, I don't know why I don't remember much about it from the first time I had it, I find it to be a pretty memorable beer now. This isn't my favorite Jolly Pumpkin beer, but it's up there as one of the better ones I've had from them and i would say it's above average as far as Wild Ales go. Great job guys, this was a really nice beer, keep up the great work.

04-09-2014 03:49:33 | More by StoutHunter