Noel De Calabaza - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Noel De CalabazaNoel De Calabaza

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

"Belgian Christmas Ale aged in oak barrels."

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 10-21-2007)
1.25/5  rDev -69%

kristenrae8, Dec 25, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -62.8%

Ruger44, Jan 12, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -62.8%

lupercmda, Jan 27, 2013

SIEVS, Feb 08, 2012
2.17/5  rDev -46.2%

Color-Dark red/brown with way too much carbonation.

Aroma-This beer has the smell of cherries and winter spices

Taste- A bit too sweet and tart for me. Cherries, plums, winter spices and a slight bit of bready hops.

Mouthful- Again, tart and sweet.

I was told to get this by a bartender at Eulogy in Philadelphia (who by the way thinks he knows more about beer than he actually does--typical want-a-be beer expert). That being said, I gave it a try despite this guy's so-called "knowledge" of beer. If you want to enjoy a true Belgian winter beer, forget Michigan and stick to Belgium...skip this one because it is certainly not worth the $12 per bottle.

dahlen22, Dec 20, 2009

ejimhof, Dec 25, 2012

bsuedekum, Jan 18, 2012

Cronkite11, Oct 01, 2013
2.55/5  rDev -36.7%

A: deep brown, just barely red; opaque; scant eggshell/brown ring; consistent arcs and jags of lacing
S: sour
T: sour, fibrous, bile
M: apple crisp
O: Really disappointing. There nothing discernibly Christmas or pumpkin about it. It's a just a poor sour beer.

12oz / Snifter / VGP Columbia, MD

RandomExile, Dec 23, 2013
2.7/5  rDev -33%

This pours dark dark mahogany leaving a very fluffy head. It is a bit overcarbonated, bumping down the appearance due to the frustration I had while cleaning the extra foam off the counter.

Smells good and bad at the same time - at least to me. Somewhat fruity.

Taste is not what I would expect from a strong dark. Way too fruity and sour. It is like it accidentally had a leinenkugel berry weiss mixed in. um... Fruit and sour. That is about all I can say for it.

Mouthfeel is somewhat flat or wet given the seemingly overcarbonated pour. Not rich like I would hope.

I really don't want to finish this, but at the price I will - it isn't so bad I have to pour it out, it just is not my cup of tea. or, stein of brew as it were.

karengarys, Feb 07, 2009

Zbeetleman, Jul 08, 2013

appetiteforparis, Jan 08, 2013

beernads, Aug 22, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -31%

A- Deep mahogany color (like the label said) with a thick tan head that didn't break at all...very nice

S- Dark grapes, lots of cherries, and some spice. It's very wine like in its scent

T- Lots and lots of grapes. It almost tastes like wine but with not much bitter aftertaste

M- Smooth but bold at first with an easy finish, very thin though, almost like grape pop

D- It's gonna take some work getting the 1 pt 9 oz down as it tastes like wine and drinks like pop

wangbruins, Jan 29, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -31%

750 mL bottle poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a great dark brown color, nearly black when not in the light. Good off-white/tan head is creamy and has good retention.

Smell: Malty aroma with plenty of spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, clove), and sweet raisins. As it warms there's a bit more alcohol in the smell.

Taste: Hits the palette really strong with a bunch of odd tartness and some cinnamon. There's something with the finish and aftertaste that I'd associate with tonic water, and it lingers. The taste is generally more like a gueuze - but with some spices added in. Not really any fruit in the flavor, though there is some malty sweetness in the background.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a fair amount of carbonation, but it is pretty mild.

Drinkability: Definitely tough with the flavor. I will say that there is not much in the way of alcohol in the flavor, however.

I don't know if this was a bad bottle, or if this is how it is supposed to taste. It smelled really good, but the taste is nothing like I'd expect for a Belgian Xmas ale. The taste, in fact, really starts to get on my nerves after a while with the whole "tonic water" flavor. This was pretty expensive, so I sure hope it doesn't become a drain pour!

mithrascruor, Mar 25, 2011
2.81/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

A-Pours a dark brown hue. Tan head is birthed from the pour. Dots and waves of lacing are left behind as the head fizzles away.

S-The aroma's got some funky yeast and dark maltiness. Dark, rotten fruits. Light oakiness and lots of Christmas spice.

T-The flavor does not jive for me. I get some odd, medicinal or band-aid flavors. The funk is alive and well but it doesn't mesh with the dark malt and spiciness. Each sip leads me to question what's really going on in my glass.

M-Hard to appreciate the feel when you don't like the flavor much. Rather light in body.

O/D-Didn't care for this one at all. Will not revisit.

VelvetExtract, Feb 01, 2014
2.85/5  rDev -29.3%

750ml split with my wife Batch 1198 Bottled 09-18-2012
Served in a Tripel Karmeliet tulip

A - Pours very dark brown with a light tan head. Nice thin cap with specks of lacing left on the glass.

S - Smells like rotten milk right off the top. Spices mixes with a very odd funky aroma,(and lots of it) grapes, dirty yeast, spiced figs and berries, old tangy dark grains, mildewed wood, sour dairy(not in a good way)

T - Opens up tart with green apple skins, grapes, pears, muddled spices, cinnamon, nutmeg, lightly sweet dark caramel malts lye underneath the funk and spices. Brown sugar comes out more as it warms with a sour lactic taste. Finishes with a sweet and sourness, spicy and funky.

M - Medium to moderate creamy body, spicy and dry feel, medium weight in body.

Funky for sure. If I closed my eyes I'm not sure I would have guessed the color of this beer. I wanted to like it more but I couldn't get past that sour/curdled milk aroma. The funk was not the funk I want to be apart of. It didn't seem to have any direction and seemed to be a mess of sorts.
While I'm glad I tried it I would never seek this out and I wish I would have only bought one. My least favorite offering from the folks at JP.

StaveHooks, Dec 30, 2012
2.93/5  rDev -27.3%

Batch 898. Bottled 9/28/2011.

A: deep copper color, clear, intense dense rocky off white head
S: full, deep roasted malt with yeast and hops, nice balance and traditional
T: noticeable tartness in finish which is not appealing for a Belgian style dark ale
M: hard to get good read on mouthfeel with tart finish, wished it had more malt and yeast domination
O: I was really looking forward to this beer but was ultimately disappointed due to the tart finish

wisrarebeer, Jan 28, 2012