Noel De Calabaza - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Noel De CalabazaNoel De Calabaza

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

"Belgian Christmas Ale aged in oak barrels."

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 10-21-2007)
3.68/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Green 750ml bottle capped. Takes some extra effort to get the desired appearance, i.e. pour with some aggresion. I'm sure at some point the style will be changed on this offering so no need to comment directly to that. It has a slightly cloudy brown to tan body. Jolly Pumkin Ales have a signature aroma that comes from their yeast strain. This is no exception. Slightly funky and you really can build up an anticipation of tart just from the aroma.

First drink and like usual I was taken back by how unique this brew is. Its tart for sure and has an almost over the top citrus frontside and a mysterious chocolaty backside. What an odd combination. It works....Kinda. You can tell this is a quality offering but for personal taste it didn't hit the marks with me. Slightly Vinous at times. If you have a tendancy to get heartburn this may trigger it.

I liked it and would consider it in the future. If you like to try beers pushing the lines of styles and taste this is a must try.

DogFood11, May 22, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Blend 3, 2007

Appearance: The pour is chestnut with a massive off-white head that eventually fades to a small layer covering most of the beer.

Smell: I'm getting plenty of funk da funk with cranberry aromas and lemon zest.

Taste: The flavor profile is dominated by funk. There's a supporting cast of tart granny smith apples and cranberries up front, followed by Albariño grapes, and a mild earthy character in the mid-palate, and notes of light-bodied African coffee and oak in the finish.

Mouthfeel: It's medium-bodied, tart, and dry with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: This is more quaffable than a 9% beer as tart as this one is should ever be.

goschool, May 13, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +15.4%

On draft at spuyten duyvil in brooklyn.

Poured brownish / orange with a thick foamy head

Smelled of yeast, sour fruits and a musty funk.

Flavor was malty and tart with some flavor of fruit, i loved the sour funkiness of this beer.

Enjoyed it very much.

gregc, Apr 30, 2008
4.9/5  rDev +21.6%

Wow! Where did I score this?!? Fantastiche! The nose was musty, brett-laden, and simply wild. There was a thin, light brown head, but it quickly reduced to wisps. The color was a deep brown with ruby highlights. Mouthfeel was thick and efferevscent with just a touch of the characteristic J. P. sourness. There was a bite on the tongue, but nowhere as overpowering as some of the Pumpkin's offerings. The finish lingered with a great bite, but again, not so intense as to put off the uninitiated. It may have been my aging (dated 2, 2007), but I would serve this to guests without hesitation.

woodychandler, Apr 28, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -2.5%

Love the bottle. So cool.
Pours out pretty hazy with a brown/red color. Lots of bubbles, and chunkies. Big dense tan head.
Nose is general sourness, with some odd citrus. Wild and yeasty.
Taste is more malts than expected. Nice solid malt flavor, enhanced with sourness and slight woody spices. Gets more complex on warming, with a chalky sugarcane sweetness. Quite interesting. Less sour than the nose, but still quite sour.
Mouthfeel is full and good.
Drinkability is ok/good, but with the ABV and the sweet/sour, I wouldn't want to drink a whole bottle at once.

shivtim, Apr 27, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Insanely large head! I guess I shouldn't have used my Duvel glass! Oh well, the foam was a rich beige color. The tight bubbles, not quite meringue-like but damn thick, had great head retention. It might be awhile before I can drink this. Subsequent lacing was clumpy and widespread. A tight, thick cap lasted the entire consumption. Oh, the color of the beer is dark ruby, seems clear. This is one damn fine looking beer!

Funky. Dark fruits (plums, dates, figs) are mixed with apples, marshmallows, earthy-spicy hops. I even note some caramel maltiness as well as some sourness. Oak. Cola. Chocolate. Port. I swear I smell spices, sugar cookies? This is yet another funky JP beer, I really like the complexity of the nose. It is rich but fairly light too... airy but potent. I am very intrigued by the malty-spicy-sour interplay. I hope it tastes as good as it smells.

I haven't had a sour/funky beer in awhile so the first sip shocked me. Wow! It took a couple sips to get back into the groove. Sour and woody upfront, hints of cola arrives as well as some apples, marshmallows, brown sugar, light port notes and some spice. I am kind of sad I don't taste the earthiness as much as I smelled it. Not as spicy as I had hoped either. Light palate, in a good way, with plenty of flavor. The aftertaste is a great mix of sweet and sour with a kiss of chocolate cola. I dig the palate quite a bit, funky but restraint while still being complex. Tasty!

About medium in body, like I said, it is light in a good way, moderate carbonation and kind of prickly. The mouthfeel works well, refreshing.

It is as drinkable as the style can be. I had a couple dud beers recently but this restores my faith... okay, my faith was never shaken. JP is a great brewery and this is a great beer. I enjoyed every sip, thanks Chris and thank you Jen.

bditty187, Apr 15, 2008
3.38/5  rDev -16.1%

Near black and a large beige head with excellent retention. Mellow fruity nose of cherry, melon, and citrus ester. Starts off fruity and vinous with the oak character and towards the end becomes bitter and very dry with a burnt malt character. Tart fruit, plum, charred oak, a little medicinal cough syrup astringent in the back, and some malt tones that are earthy, organic. Lots of carbonation is a bit over the top. Improves as it warms but too late for a high recommendation.

cabsandking, Apr 11, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +8.7%

A friend surprised me with this; I didn't know what style it was or what to expect. I just knew that Jolly Pumpkin has a good reputation.

Dark copper brown out of the bottle, med-dark brown in the glass.

Very strong herbal aroma.

Sour--reminiscent of a lambic. Since I didn't know what to expect, I was surprised by the taste. I expected a nutty, malty, hop-balanced brown. Goes to show, color is not a good indicator of taste. I should have been thinking more like a Belgian, not an American Brown.

Smooth mouthfeel, low carbonation, not quite watery, but not thick at all. I'll go with "smooth."

The earthy and hebal aroma doesn't come out in the taste; but it complements the sour and slightly sweet taste very nicely. Yum.

New discovery: I like sour beers!

PhiloPsych, Apr 04, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Reviewing from notes. Had this with several other great beers that night. The Noel took the cake.
A: Dark and bubbly. Beautiful. Head was light.
S: SO frickin good I can't express it in words. I had 5/5 written for this. There was malt, SOUR, sweet. A-mazing.
T: No let down in the taste department. Malt came through. Sourness was present. Slight spice?
M: Carbonation was perfect. All of the flavors made for a mouthfeel that was full, and I'm sure the carbonation added to that. Exceptionally clean.
D: I could probably not drink more than one, but it is a great great beer. More than one in a night, no. One every night I have the chance, yes.

FMetzger, Apr 01, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

Presentation: 750 ml, capped. Jack-o-lantern in the snow on the label, small label on the back denoting blend 1, 2007.

Appearance: Dark reddish brown, average sized head but very dense. Fades slowly and leaves quite a bit of lacing.

Smell: mmm .. funky. Yeast and bacteria run amok, with some fruity aromas, and just a bit of sweet malt.

Taste: Nice fruity sour flavors meld well with a good malt backbone. Definitely not over the top sour, but that is the dominant flavor.

Overall impression: Another well done sour beer - its hard to pick out the details of these, but I certainly enjoy them.

rowew, Mar 28, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

750, poured some into a tulip glass. Bottle says Blend 2, 2007. This was a gusher upon opening. Scared the hell out of me. I got some in a glass and set the bottle in the sink to settle down. My tulip glass is half full of beer and half full of foam that is going nowhere. Deep mahogany color with serious bubbles rushing up from the bottom of the glass.

Aroma is fruity and sour. Some interesting plum and spice blends that intrigue the senses. Taste is somewhat sour, with fruity cherry spice intermingling. Mild alcohol warmth with a slightly bitter and still sour finish. I'm not saying this is real sour, just that the sourness is noticeable to the palate. Surprising to me as a fan of this style, but not unpleasant.

This Belgian strong dark ale is not huge in body, but it does have a nice smooth mouthfeel with big carbonation.

Not sure what was intended here, but I sure did not get what I expected.

ZimZamZoom, Mar 16, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -11.2%

Shared at tasting with Fly, Dewbrewer, Humulone_Red and others. Thanks guys!
Rich dark caramel color with glowing orange edges. Tart cherryish malty aromas to it. Very dry and tart cherry and brettyness to it. Slight funkiness in the taste and the flavor is rather mild. Unique, but quite nice and drinkable. Grew on me as I had more, and the oaky-ness of it was strong and more enjoyable after the first sample. Nice beer

JDV, Mar 15, 2008
3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

750 ml bottle purchased from Beverages and More in Torrance for eleven dollars three or four months ago, blend three from 2007, poured into my Duvel tulip glass

A-Medium brown with a red or purple tint, 3/4 inch bubbly off white head, did not stay long at all, not much retention or lacing

S-Citrus, funkiness, cherries, tart, brettanomyces, Belgian yeast, vanilla, oak, caramel malt, some hops, and vinegar

T-Started off with a funky sour taste full fo cherries that I was not expecting when I first bought this bottle, some sweet malt in the middle, tart in the finish, as it warmed I could taste oak and vanilla flavors along with plums and raisins, also some citrus later on that was mostly grapefruit and tangerine, hops really died down in this one probably, balance would have been more efficient if they were present, not bad overall

M-Sour and spicy mouthfeel, thin to medium body, tons of carbonation, taste lasted for quite some time, more tarty than I thought it would be

D-Could not finish the bottle by myself but got close, fairly light on the stomach, ABV is high at nine percent, smooth and goes down easy

One of the better Christmas beers I tasted from this past year, only second beer tasted from Jolly Pumpkin and both have been pretty good, will drink again next year when it is released, recommended during next winter because it will most likely taste much better fresh even though it is bottle conditioned

Floydster, Mar 14, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -2%

Re-rate:Dec 7, 2007
Had a different batch, this time I had blend #2.
This is much better than the original bottle . Doesn't have the funky smell/taste with it. Much more of the typical JP funk and sourness. Glad to see it was a bad bottle and not the beer itself.

Blend #1.
Pours a murky brown in color. Smell is off. Smells a bit skunky, not funky. The typical JP sourness/funk is there, but a bit subdued. The typcial Christmas spices are present. Mouthfeel is nice and no sign of the ABV in the taste.
Still can't get over this "dirty sock" kind of skunky smell. Will let the other bottles sit for awhile and see where this one goes.

FtownThrowDown, Feb 24, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

750ml capped dark green wine bottle tagged with "blend 1, 2007"

Pours cloudy dark red and brown with an insanely huge tan head. Like most of the Jolly Pumpkin beers, smells strongly of sour wood, yeast, perhaps a little dust. The christmas spicing comes through in the flavor. Tastes like a Flemish sour red ale with a dollop of orange peel, pepper, and anise layered on top. Alcohol not at all obvious apart from some spicy fruitiness. The body is airy and light, alive with a bit too much carbonation. A winner from Jolly Pumpkin. The bottle goes quickly due to the sour quenching character.

dgallina, Feb 22, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +8.7%

Blend 5, 2007.
Dark tawny colour with a fluffy beige cap. Chunky, sticky lace and good head retention. A little hazy. Funky aroma - lemon zest, earthy and acidic with a light vinegar character. Great flavour. There's a tartness that formed a solid backbone, with a bit of brown sugar. Earthy and fruity, notes of sour cherry and plum, light woody oak, with a hint of leather and tobacco in the finish. Medium bodied with ample carbonation that didn't overwhelm. Nice texture with a bit of puckering tartness. Sugary, yet dried the palate in the finish. Light alcohol warmth. Great stuff from JP, just as I've come to expect. I hope they pull this one out again next year in time for Xmas.

DrJay, Feb 10, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +3%

750ml bottle into a tulip

Aroma: musty, a bit citrusy, tobacco, the tiniest bit of seawater. A touch phenolic.

Appearance: Dark plum. Against light an effervescent crimson. Half-inch nearly white head receding to a persistent milky froth, with lingering lace.

Flavor: Complex. Cherries, sour apricots, subtle caramel, anise, dark chocolate, green apples, tart but not puckering. Oak all over the finish. Very little alcohol considering the strength. Roasted almonds long after it's gone.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Balanced carbonation. Silky on the tongue.

Overall: Smooth. Very pleasurable and balanced, yet memorable. Nothing overly aggressive. A winner.

McGowan, Feb 10, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is dark brown, and cloudy, pours with a small but dense and persistent head, which leaves lace all the way down the glass. Aroma is slight, but with wonderful sour notes, and a pretty good amount of brett funk on the nose. Perhaps some pediococcus and lactobacillus as well. The Belgian funk comes through in the flavor as well, with notes of dark cherries, more Brett funk, and tart apples, backed by a nice malt backbone, and the barest hints of oak and hop. Finishes dry and tart, but not overwhelming.

beerking1, Feb 09, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

There is something to be said about sampling beer from red plastic cups (even clear ones for that matter).

I won't get into appearance other than it looked dark ruby red.

This is my first sampling from this brewery and WOW, what a nice start! The flavor of this beer is indescribable for the most part. Extremely complex with flavors ranging from dark cherries, tart green apples, some plum to a oh so subtle brett funk with nice oaky notes. There is wonderful acidic and slightly vinegary bite but it's well balanced by a nice malty sweetness. Effervescent and finishes dry. BeerAdvocate calls this a Strong Dark Ale but I would say it's more of a Flanders Red. Mmmmm! You would never guess this beer is 9% ABV.

I missed the $7 sale on this and wound up paying $20 for 2. I can't wait to try other beers from this brewery. Highly recommended. Go do yourself a favor and buy this. If you enjoy sour beers, you'll love this. Even if you don't, it's a great into into!

Rezzin, Feb 08, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

demcorhip brought me this bottle. Thanks so much. 750ml poured into a snifter. I'm pretty pumped about this one!

This pours like other JP beers I've had, with a massive head and nearly out-of-control carbonation. That yeast is certainly doing it's job here. The beer is nearly opaque, but with hints of ruby and orange when held to the light. Beautiful lacing. Aroma is outstanding as well. Big cheesy and metallic sour brett aroma backed up by cherries, raspberries, meaty herbs, grass, and a bit of dried-fruit sweetness in the background. Lovely!

Taste is just full of amazing brett flavour. Sourness is offset by just a touch of rich vanilla and a hint of chocolate, especially in the aftertaste. Big Biscuity malt in the background, but it's nearly obscured by everything else going on. Plums and raisins are here as well, and some herbs. This beer just keeps developing as you keep drinking it, it's pretty amazing, tons of dimension and flavour. Carbonation isn't too obnoxious in the mouth. Dries the palate out almost completely with sourness, just makes you want to keep drinking. This is a really impressive beer, so drinkable, but at 9% I'm afraid 750ml all to myself is both a blessing and a curse though!

trevorwideman, Feb 06, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

Mmmm. Brett.

A beautiful brown, with hints of ruby... but no head. Carbonation is there, though. This isn't terribly shocking, as the fun lil sour bugs tend to inhibit this kinda thing.

The smell is a nose-full of brett, which when you sift through, gives way to some spice, and vanilla, vague hints of rich malt, and then back to more delicious barnyard funk.

Tastes like a flemish brown, and then WHAM! Whiskey. Gone just as swiftly, swallowed up by some rich, complex malty sweetness. Good lord, how much is going on in here? Tough to pick out, vanilla is there, ripe fruit, dark dried fruits, a bit of roast. And then, funky funky brett. I really feel that the whiskey is out of place here, although as we go along it seems to lose its potency. I like what's going on here... but it doesn't fill the mouth as much as I would like. As I've found with most Jolly Pumpkin brews, it's on the thin side. While I appreciate that's partially a side effect of the brett... and that thinness works sometimes (their saison--Bam Biere, for example)... but here, it could use just a bump.

Insanely drinkable, particularly for this alcohol percentage. Really really REALLY need to drink this close to room temperature (where I had it), as there's a ton of very, very subtle complexity here you could lose. I'd say set it down for a few months to a year to see if the bourbon blends in more smoothly. But fine to drink right now.

errantnight, Jan 27, 2008
4.03/5  rDev 0%

Deep auburn tint with a massive head that comes down to an evenly distributed layer. Gobs of sticky lacing are left behind.

Big brett right up front with layers of nuttiness and dried fruit and just a hint of cocoa nibs.

Behind the thin wall of sour brett lies a fairly roasty, rather fruity (apples) beer which creates the effect of Calvados and cigars.

Full but never thick with a nice, tingling carbonation and a dry finish. It's complex to be sure and is certainly a sipper. Still, it never encroaches upon palate-busting territory and is quite a treat.

malcontent, Jan 27, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

Blend 3

750ml bottle served at about 55 degrees and poured into a New Belgium Snifter

A – Poured a nice medium brown color with no real head to speak of which was a bit disappointing, though on a later pour I was able to elicit a smallish tan head about a half inch high by using a very vigorous pour. As you could imagine the lace itself was also practically non existent, and there was a noted lack of carbonation in the appearance. The ale was not nearly opaque as you could definitely make out hints of light on the sides and bottom of the glass giving it a somewhat lighter appearance around the edges and showing off some of the sediment that was settling down toward the bottom.

S – The aroma was full of spice and a touch of sour fruit as well. I was honestly shocked that this was barrel aged ale from the aroma as I really could detect none of that from the smell. The alcohol as well was not present here. There were definitely some hints of yeast present here as well giving it a bit more of a lighter note then I would have expected. Based on the aroma it is really hard to nail down a style on this one. It seems very complex and seems to cross over between several styles, but a blended ale will tend to do that, not too mention one that has been barrel aged as well.

T – The flavor was a little difficult to describe to be honest as it seemed to transform over the course of the night. First off I have to mention that this was not harsh or over the top in anyway, which again surprised me. Usually when you get these type of barrel aged blended ales there is something about them that dominates everything else, but not the case here at all. The first thing I noticed was the spiciness that was coming through from the very first taste. A big healthy dose of cinnamon, nutmeg, and earthy malts right on the front end, enough of it to really give your tongue a bit of a work out. Once you got past that first layer, up next came something of a shock to me, why it was the flavor of a sour ale! Very cool, the yeast here was very big with lots of bitter and sour notes, hints of apples and raisins and plums rippling through all at once, while at the same time really puckering the lips. As if that was not enough, on top of the oak flavors started to percolate through and really start to show them off. Really getting complex not with hints of vanilla and even caramel as it warmed starting to mingle, but the finish went right back to that deep sour note. Very nice indeed.

M – Here is the only part of this one that I was not impressed with. To be honest it was flat, almost entirely flat. There was no carbonation to speak of, and this hurt it as it made it feel lighter then I knew it was and gave off almost a slick feel to it when there should not have been one there. Not sure what happened here, a I was not even able to stir it up, though there was lots of yeast still present on the bottom, I could just not get it back to life, it was a shame as this was really the only detrimental part of the whole experience.

D – This was an outstandingly drinkable beer. Dare I say even sessionable? I still do not know what the ABV is on this one as I haven’t even looked it up yet, which is something I never tend to do before reviewing a beer. The flavors were very well defined, but nothing was over the top. There was no hint of alcohol what so ever in here and you could easily throw down the bottle without it hurting too badly.

Overall this was an interesting, if not intriguing selection. The style was nearly impossible to nail down so I just left that as it was. The flavor was very nicely balanced and quite different which is always a plus, I just really wish it had a little more carbonation. That really would have turned this from a good beer to an excellent one. Maybe it was a bad bottle, I have another to compare so we shall see. Still would have to say that this was a good call and worthy of a try.

mikesgroove, Jan 26, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Chimay chalice.

Blend 1, 2007

A: Hazy brown with glowing ruby-colored highlights. 1 finger head that's very creamy and light tan in color. The head quickly transforms into a splotchy skim with a lace-leaving ring.

S: Excellent mixture of aromas. Tart cherry, roasted malt, spice, oak, and brett. Smells tart, sweet, and spicy in the same whiff.

T: Toasty malt, immediately, that's followed closely by tart/sour cherry, brett, oak, spice, hops, hints of dark fruit, and a touch of dark candi sugar.

M: Sour/tart/bitter notes in the beginning that becomes dry and roasty during the middle and finish. Nice spicy and roasted malt finish. A little thin for a BSDA, but everything else going on here more than makes up for it.

D: Excellent drinkability. The alcohol seems pretty transparent in the nose and taste but I started to feel it by the end of the bottle.

GbVDave, Jan 19, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -7.4%

A hazey and ruddy medium borwn ad garnet hue with dark orange highlights when held to the light. You can see some bubbles through this dark haze. The head is less than par. The aroma is a tart fruits. Very tannic smelling, cherries and figs. The taste i a mild, to light bodied fruity alt. Very light vvingar mixed with cherries, light colored crranst, tart prunes, and dates. Very tart for a dark Belgian ale. The body is light to mild with a sharp tart finish. That thankfully doesn't linger very long.

scruffwhor, Jan 16, 2008