E. S. Bam - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  4.70% ABV

Availability: Spring

E.S. Bam - Extra Special Farmhouse Ale
A Bam celebration of excess. More malt, more hops, same vivacious personality.

Seasonal released in April
4.7% Alc./Vol.

(Beer added by: Big78CJ on 02-14-2008)
View: Beers (38) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
NeroFiddled

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%

Jolly Pumpkin E.S.Bam
750 ml / batch 374 /375

Appearance: A massive head of antique-white foam rises up as it's poured. A mostly clear chestnut brown body teems with life as tiny bubbles rise from below. Good head retention, very good lacing.

Aroma: Brettanomcyes is clearly evident... some fruitiness, caramelish malt, leafy hops, and a mild peppery/woody/patchouli-like/orange/herbal spiciness..

Taste: A bold bitterness comes through straight out. It's brash, and it never really settles, even as the beer warms. Brett character surrounds a thin caramel-dipped maltiness, which is nice. It reminds me of a caramel covered apple. The fruitiness is there, but not the sweetness; and it's spiked with leafy and grassy hops and spice that take on a bit of a herbaceous character. It's dry and earthy with suggestions of fruitiness and tartness. Lots of bitterness lingers in the finish along with a bit of wood and earthiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light bodied and just slightly creamy smooth as the very-fine-bubbled natural carbonation is released as it warms.

Drinkability: A lack of balance between the dense bitterness and thin maltiness leaves it a bit lackluster. There's just not enough sweetness to support it, and it becomes muddled in a way - it seems to lack focus. The spicing could be nice, but without support from a solid malt base it seems almost like dust in the wind.

07-17-2009 01:11:39 | More by NeroFiddled
popery

3.73/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I wasn't a huge fan of Jolly Pumpkin's Bam Biere, and while I like this version more, I'm still not completely won over. I appreciate the idea. It's a refreshing and light saison that's very drinkable. The addition of the hops improves drinkability significantly for me over the original, but otherwise, it's a similar experience. The malt is light and muted. The flavor is mostly a dry sourness, which is pleasant but not terribly complex. On the other hand, I haven't tasted another beer quite like it outside of the Jolly Pumpkin lineup. I appreciate the fresh ideas that Jolly Pumpkin brings to the table, particularly for an American brewer working with sours and wilds and whatnot. It's always enjoyable to try a new beer from this brewery. Anyway, this beer would be most enjoyable in large quantity, but the ~$10 price tag is a tad steep for that, at least on a regular basis. It's a good beer; the hops provide just enough bite to ratchet up the drinkability.

06-29-2009 07:16:16 | More by popery
sarahspat

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Batch 374/375

A pour into an over-sized wine glass results in a half an inch of white head atop an "iced tea" brown liquid. The head falls fast but leaves a few good-looking wisps of lacing.

Smells: horse blanket funk and nail polish remover. Not too strong, though. Smells good to me, but I do wish there was a bit more going on here and/or that the nose was more forceful.

Tastes strongly of citrus peel, red grapefruit, light funk, Bing cherries, and some vegetables like celery show up in the background.

This medium-bodied brew comes across very bitter: mouth-dryingly so. Much more bitter than I was expecting, even considering the word "hoppy", which is prominently displayed on the label. I don't think I would feel like drinking more than one glass of this at once. There is a passable amount of complexity, but none of the flavors really captivate me. All in all, it's not spectacular but not bad either.

06-26-2009 01:14:17 | More by sarahspat
ncstateplaya

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

Batch 288/289

Pours a rich hazy toffee color with a gorgeous head. Meringe like in the center of the glass and sudsy around the edges. Very nice lacing that blankets the entire glass. This beer appears extremely effervescent.

The nose of this beer is extremely complicated. It is very malty and spicey...almost to the point of malt vinegar or ketchup. It was slightly hoppy lending a bit of pine undertones. I also thought the aroma to be pretty yeasty.

It tastes slightly sweet with a great crisp hoppiness and wheat flavor. I thought it had a green flavor that I just couldn't quite place. Fittingly enough the finish was somewhat tart.

This beer is light bodied and very lively in the mouth. Loads of carbonation keeps your mouth's attention and finishes very dry and crisp. Very enjoyable.

One of the more enjoyable and drinkable farmhouse ales that I have experienced. It is very lively and refreshing albeit a little grassy. It is a good beer that I could see myself enjoying again during the summer months.

06-16-2009 17:56:49 | More by ncstateplaya
prototypic

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Batch 267, 268

E.S. Bam pours a caramel color that has a nice scarlet hue when backed by a little light. It's a little hazy and features a few yeast particles floating around. A very impressive tan head tops it off. It's over three fingers deep and leaves a substantial amount of sticky lace clinging to the glass. Very impressive.

The nose is a little weak. It could definitely use more strength. It's spicy and earthy initially. There's pepper and a mix of other spices I can't identify. There's some orange, lemon, and perhaps even plum fruit scents. Smells a little funky and grainy. I can't say that it smells like Brett, but is funky. The label suggests an infusion of more malts and hops than (Bam Biere), but I'm not appreciating either. To be fair, this bottle is over a year old now and I'm sure that the hops have faded to a large degree. Oooops. It's above average, but isn't stunning by any means. It's a little too weak and the elements don't seem to entirely mesh very well.

The flavor profile is pretty consistent with the nose. Pepper and other ancillary spices kick it off. They're not very strong, but warrant mention. It's a little fruity and features some lemon and light orange. I'm not getting any dark fruit here. It's definitely earthy and grassy throughout. A funky, yeasty flavor is noted and is rather prominent. It doesn't taste like Brett to me, but has a funky quality. There's some light malt sweetness and perhaps a floral hop flavor, but bother are faint. I'm sure the hops have fainted due (in part) to my procrastination. Perhaps I should've jumped on this one sooner. Nonetheless, the flavor never really comes together well and comes across as a few individual flavors rather than a medley. It's above average, but not quite good.

The body is light and not at all smooth. Carbonation is very active and doesn't work well at all here. The feel is very average and probably contributes to a few of this beer's issues. Drinkability is a little above average, but that's probably a little generous. The flavor's alright and it goes down easy.

E.S. Bam is disappointing at the end of the day. The nose could use some work, the flavor doesn't come together well, and it suffers from overcarbonation and a thin body. Now that I've gotten through all that, I certainly feel that the score is very generous. It needs work. Jolly Pumpkin has a nice run of disappointment going here. I'm hoping that one day (soon) I'll be blown away by one of their beers. Today is obviously not that day.

05-10-2009 01:35:46 | More by prototypic
Gyle41386

South Carolina

4.13/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. Consumed at a tasting with a handful of fellow BA's. Review is from tasting notes.

Hazy, light amber, straw colored. Very cool to watch this one being opened. After the cap came off, foam ever so slowly started coming out of the top of the bottle. Naturally, that translated to a huge, rocky, foamy head in the glass. Pretty good lacing.

Sour scent. I've had Bam Biere, and that had a little bit of sourness/funk, so obviously this is a step above it. Very interesting aroma because of the hoppiness.

Taste follows the nose. Crisp, refreshing, clean, dry finish. Very nice mingling between the hop bitterness and the funky sour.

Heavier body than Bam Biere. Creamy and smooth. Easy drinker, as any good saison should be.

04-17-2009 05:42:23 | More by Gyle41386
LilBeerDoctor

3.85/5  rDev +1.6%

Bottle. Pours brown with a thick light tan head. Aroma of sweet tart candies, light funkiness (barnyard funk). Flavor is sour, but not as sour as the aroma would suggest. Finish is dry and bitter. I'm a little disappointed given that this was supposed to be a hoppy farmhouse ale (or biter????), but overall I enjoyed the beer.
7/4/8/4/ (3.7/5)

04-15-2009 21:45:04 | More by LilBeerDoctor
dakid618

750ml bottle batch 288/289 poured into pint glass. Pours a deep hazy reddish brown with TONS of head. Smell is sweet with hints of banana, clove, and raisins. Taste is the same with a strong hop presence as a backbone. Medium refreshing mouthfeel. Good mouthfeel. My first offering from Jolly Pumpkin and I'm not disappointed. Overall a very solid beer.

04-13-2009 01:43:23 | More by dakid618
Patrick999

4.65/5  rDev +22.7%

Batch 288/289

With some breweries, it's always an adventure. Jolly Pumpkin is one of those. Always fun to review, never boring. Apparently, this is a "hoppy farmhouse ale," which suggests a beer right up my alley. We'll see.

Poured into a Duvel tulip, this shows a huge mass of foam - a great sign considering I've had problems with flat or near-flat bottles from this brewery before. Indeed, I see a vibrant amber body along with epic foam and ice-cream-cone retention like the best Belgian saisons. When a beer fills out the Duvel glass this impressively, you just know it's going to be good.

Aromatics are wild, literally and figuratively. This is the Jolly Pumpkin yeast in fine form. Varying as the temperature progresses from chilled to room temperature, I get strong notes of lemongrass, jasmine, apple, musky leather, and at times, a rather cheesy, meaty funk that I noted in my tasting of La Roja from this brewery. When I dig a little deeper, certain whiffs (only after it has warmed) actually suggest to me rancid cheese or rotting meat, maybe 1 out of every 10 whiffs. What an impressive, varied aroma!

I almost forgot that this was supposed to be a hoppy farmhouse ale, but the taste reminds me of that right away. Spicy, lemon-perfume hops provide some solid bittering off the bat, with a very dry, mineral rock-like finish. Old leather flint flits about throughout the sip, lingering long into the aftertaste, eventually giving way to a bready malt. Did I mention this is dry? Wow, is it ever. Actually not as wildly complex as the aroma leads me to believe, this pulls together quite well.

The mineral taste I noted seems to carry over to the feel, almost giving this a grainy feel that I like. Well-carbonated to say the least, this will scrub your palate clean, like most great farmhouse ales.

I could pound this 750ml bottle much, much quicker than I am. Once I realized I was on to something special, I forced myself to slow down and smell the roses a bit. I wasn't expecting this beer to be this good. Amazingly drinkable, especially for a saison/farmhouse ale lover like me - I'm fairly shocked, and happy, to be doling out this high a rating. An impressive, tight beer.

04-11-2009 01:55:45 | More by Patrick999
zeff80

Missouri

3.93/5  rDev +3.7%

A - Poured out a cloudy, orange amber color with a foamy, bubbly, small, off-white head. It left minimal lace.

S - It smelled slight funky with some citrus and lemon zest.

T - It tasted of mild funkiness, some sweet caramel and a lemon kick.

M - It was crisp and sharp with a somewhat dry finish. A medium bodied ale.

D - This is a pretty good saison. I'd recommend it.

04-08-2009 01:18:28 | More by zeff80
ohmybock

Georgia

3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

I paid $10 for this 750ml bottle. Great label...I love the stylistically-drawn dog! By the way, this is batch 278.

When I popped the cap, foam rose up inside the bottle and started coming out the top. Sometimes that's a cause for alarm, but with this beer it ultimately wasn't. A huge head formed as I poured this beer. That's not surprising considering the hefty carbonation in this one. I like the aroma a lot. It reminds me of a quality Berliner Weisse with a sharp lemon zest aroma. From the initial aroma, you know this beer is going to have some sourness. Sure enough, the flavor has a similar character as the aroma....moderately sour with a bit of funk. The beer is light and spritzy with a hint of maltiness that quickly turns to a spicy, clean-ish?, sourness. This all culminates in a dry finish with a bit of bitterness kicking in near the end. To be honest, I usually like less bitterness in a sour beer such as this. Don't get me wrong, I love some of the ultra-hoppy American brews that are out there. However, with this type of beer, I feel a less hoppy brew works better. I haven't had the regular Bam or the Noire, but I have had the Weizen Bam. The Weizen and ES are similar, but I think the Weizen Bam has a better balance of flavors. Even though I like the two Bam beers I've had, I don't think they're worth the $10 price tags. If they were $5 per bottle, I would be tempted to buy more. As it is, these are pretty much one-time purchases for me.

04-02-2009 18:35:54 | More by ohmybock
armock

A - Poured a copper color with an off white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Has a fruity sour yeasty funk nose

T - Follows the nose with yeasty sour fruit flavor and some hops

M - This beer has a lighter body with active carbonation to it

D - This was the first Jolly Pumpkin beer that I've had and it has really turned me on to the brewery I found it to be an enjoyable brew worth trying

03-31-2009 17:36:56 | More by armock
cvstrickland

3.6/5  rDev -5%

Crowned 750 ml; Batch 288/289.

In a shaker pint glass, E.S. Bam is pale brownish amber with a glint of orange and a storm of fine internal carbonation feeding a huge, pillowy off-white head. As the cap reduces, it consolidates fine, pearly bubbles into large soapy ones at the periphery, leaving the center portion of foam drifted up in rocky, craggy fashion and large 3-D hunks of lacing scattered about the glass.

The smell is sweet and fruity with mild caramel, toffee, plus orange rind oil, a touch of muddy funk, and a whiff of apple cidery, lemony zing. Mild brown malt toastiness underlays the aroma profile, not really taking up a lot of space, but growing in stature as the drink progresses.

The taste is mild and malty with the merest toasty drizzle of sweetened vinegar and a soft mineral steeliness that dries the finish. As I'm looking for descriptors and finding the words "mild", "mere", and "soft", I realize that no matter how much I want this brew to be more than it is, it just isn't all that flavorful, instead presenting itself almost like a pretty good beer cut with a shot or three of mineral water. The funky-steel flavor and vinegary zing gain purchase in the warming drink, but the notes are left unbalanced by any significant malt backbone, leaving the finish quite dry with a little pucker. Only as the bottom of the bottle close at hand does a note of wheat straw and strawberries sweeten and freshen the drink just a tad.

The drink is light-bodied and underpowered with a fine sizzle of carbonation. The brew is quite drinkable, but only because of its uncanny similarity to the water it's brewed from. A big swing and a miss from a brewer I expect much better beer from.

03-14-2009 06:36:54 | More by cvstrickland
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.6/5  rDev -5%

Polished persimmon with crystalline clarity. The mad rush of miniscule bubbles immediately after the pour slows down to a more sedate pace within several minutes, but not before creating one of the stickiest, rockiest crowns this side of the Belgian countryside. The pint glass is coated with everything from small scraps of lace to large chunks of foam. I love it!

Like all JPAA beer, this one contains critters. The telltale aroma of wild yeast emanates from the glass with even a casual sniff. The good thing is that funk doesn't completely overwhelm everything else. This should be interesting beer. It might even be good beer.

I'm not impressed. There isn't as much malt as expected and complexity suffers as a result. E.S. Bam might have more malt (and more hops) than Bam Biere, but how much barley can any brewer pack into a saison that's only 4.7%. Even though hop flavor has surely faded in the nearly one year since the release, there's still a good bit of bitterness to be had.

My biggest gripe with most Jolly Pumpkin beer is that it's overattenuated. It isn't a flaw since that's the way it was brewed, but I don't have to like it. A few malt sugars would be great right about now. Some dry, crisp saisons are fantastic and are insanely drinkable. This isn't one of them.

There isn't much to the flavor profile. The beer tastes like a malt-deficient wild ale that has a modest amount of funk and more lemongrassy bitterness than fruity tartness. It's okay and is growing on me a little, but it isn't E(xtra) S(pecial) by any stretch of the imagination.

Part of the problem is a mouthfeel that's too light (no matter the ABV) and is too sharply carbonated. The bubbles hit hard and fast, then fade quickly, so there's no trace of creaminess on the swallow.

Granted, this was almost certainly better beer when fresh (batch 267, 268). Then again, any saison that can't go 11-12 months in the bottle doesn't deserve to be called a saison. Those who love everything Jolly Pumpkin will probably love E.S. Bam. Those who want a world-class version should look elsewhere.

03-12-2009 21:33:43 | More by BuckeyeNation
bkilpatr

Oregon

3.48/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a pint glass. 03/10/09. Batch 280/281.

Pours a cloudy orangish-brown color with a huge 4+ finger soft beige head. The head left tons of sticky lace as is dropped to a thin layer, with excellent retention. The aroma is peppery with lemon, floral hop, and some funk.

The taste starts with a nice sour and rubbery funkiness, zesty lemon, orange peel, grapes, and white pepper. That is followed by an herbal hop bitterness in the finish. Very fruity and earthy. This is labeled a "hoppy farmhouse ale", but the hop bitterness doesn't mend well with the rest of the beer.

Feel is medium-bodied and a bit thin with plenty of carbonation. The finish is nice and dry. Drinkability is decent. Finishing the bottle is not a problem, but I wouldn't want any extra.

Overall, decent but not great. The hops add an odd bitterness for the style. Not bad, but if you're looking for a true saison, look elsewhere.

03-11-2009 03:58:54 | More by bkilpatr
ElGrecoVerde

3.35/5  rDev -11.6%

Quite a unique offering, and I will have to try out some other beers from this brewery after this one. Orange-red color with a massive off white head. I mean massive.

A nice blend of flavors, from citrus to light fruits, some light spices, but most notably a heavy floral taste. The floral tastes become a bit overwhelming making it hard to drink alone.

Beautiful mouthfeel with great carbonation. But I would only ever get it again if I'm sharing.

02-27-2009 16:34:36 | More by ElGrecoVerde
YonderWanderer

Colorado

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%

An E.S....saison? An intriguing offer from Jolly Pumpkin, and one that doesn't have me turning away after the first sip as *some* of their beers have. I'm not a huge fan of saisons to begin with, but I'm intrigued enough by this one. It's got that trademark Jolly Pumpkin funk smell and taste to it, but is added to by a nice grassy hop flavor, and a nice big hit of maltiness. This is a fairly well-balanced, and unique saison. The mouthfeel is a bit dry, but okay overall. It's not something I'm likely to go back to again, but it's definitely worth giving a try.

02-25-2009 02:17:34 | More by YonderWanderer
philipquarles

Connecticut

4.3/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to rmasen for this one.

Batch 267, 268. Pours a ruddy dark brown with a towering beige head. I feel like i need a spoon to dig down to the beer. It does eventually die after a few minutes to leave a small cap and a lot of lacing. Some sediment. The JP signature smell is immediately evident: grassy farmhouse funk with some acetic berry/ character. Floral hop presence and some citrus in the back. Really interesting taste. Toasted malts are huge in this, giving it some toffee character that I wouldn't have expected in a Bam Biere--nice surprise though. Tart funk is the next thing noticeable, along with a ton of earthiness. Herbal notes and citrus throughout. Nice hop bitterness at the end, giving it a dry finish. Really digging this one. Lighter mouthfeel seems a bit out of place in such a dark beer, but it works well being a properly carbonated saison. Another great JP beer.

02-21-2009 01:10:30 | More by philipquarles
Monkeyknife

Missouri

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from the bottle a murky dark mahogany with a hint of gold. On top rests a rich chunky beige head that will not fade.

Aroma is typical Jolly Pumpkin with a sour, yeasty, funk to it. Though this one does have more hoppiness going on. The sour notes are an interesting combination of green apple, raspberry, lemon, and antiseptic. Very interesting, indeed.

Tastes of sour raspberries, green apple, lemon, antiseptic, and licorice. A very light maltiness in the finish.

Light-to-medium bodied, tart and dry, and moderately carbonated.

A very unique play on a saison. I like it...but I'm not sure how much. 750 ml is probably too much. Twelve ounces would be about right.

02-20-2009 02:31:40 | More by Monkeyknife
beachbum1975

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

Share this one with DrewOSU. Batch 267, 268 - not sure what that means, but okay.

Pours a clear, dark amber with a most interesting head. The head is insane. It's like massive, chunky, cumulus cloud and gets more interesting as it sits there. As the bomber rested on my countertop, the foam took on its' own agenda and began foaming out the top like a packaging peanut met a serpent. (Yeah, that's cheesy - I know, but it did!!!). Great lacing, as well.

Smells of sour funk right off the bat with traces of spicy funk and light green apple. Can't get much more off the nose beyond that...

Light bodied and light to medium flavored. Tastes of funk (band aids?), some lighted roasted malts and a light apple cider-like quality. Very unique. The mouthfeel tastes like hard water on my tongue. Very wet with medium bitterness mixed with sweetness.

Interesting and refreshing...

01-27-2009 02:43:47 | More by beachbum1975
AltBock

3.83/5  rDev +1.1%

Capped 750 ml bottle with a lime green label that has a heat shot drawing of Jolly Pumpkin's Jack Russell Terrier, Bam. Do you know what the regular Bam label looks like? Good! Take Bam, put a small hop bud hat on his head, put a bright lime green hop bud necklace around his neck, and put him on a lime green label with a farm scene background. That's the picture! To the left of Bam is the Government warning, barcode, and a drawing of 3 dogs. To the right of Bam are 2 paragraphs and the refund values. The first one talks about how strong Bam the dog was. He was hit by a car and he still managed to move around. The second paragraph says that it's their regular Bam beer with more malt and hops added to it. That's what I like to hear! The back should be slapped with a batch number sticker. Mine was from batch number 267 and 268.

Appearance: I poured this beer that shares it name with a very special dog into a Corsendonk Tulip. Out of the bottle came a beer that was an extremely murky caramel brown with apple cider highlights. What I said murky, I mean this beer was just as murky as a swamp. It wasn't murky because of hop particles, it was just a naturally murky beer. This bottle was a small time gusher and when it was poured, it had a self rising 3 inch creamy pure white head of foam. This pure white head of foam had slow retention. It was so slow that it took at least 5 minutes to settle down to a point where I could actually taste the beer. when it receded, it left behind a milky white film and a massive amount of sticky white streaks of lace. As you can tell, the color of the beer was just as cool as the the head of foam.

Smell: Like every other Jolly Pumpkin beer I've had in the past, the aroma was sour. Not a beer gone bad sour, but a pleasantly natural sour aroma. The first half of the aroma was sour with a hint of sour raspberries, a splash of sour cherries, a subtle whiff of oak, a speck of tart grapefruit, and a pinch of malted wheat. As you can tell, the first half of the aroma was a little bit of this, a little bit of that, and mixed in with a little bit more of this. Get it? If the beer is swirled around, this is where you'll find the second half of the aroma. The second half consisted of more oak and plenty of grassy hops. I honesty didn't care for the grassy hop aroma all that much. It matters a little bit, but that's OK because I really enjoyed the first half of the aroma. I've always liked Jolly Pumpkin's natural sour aroma.

Taste: The taste was dry hopped and lightly sour at the same time. It actually made for a pretty interesting taste. "E.S.Bam" started off dry hopped with some lightly bitter grassy hops, a hint of bitter and tart grapefruit, a pinch of dried pine needles, a speck of malted wheat, and then this dry hopped taste finishes up with a splash of of lemon peel. After the dry hopped part is where the sourness comes in. There wasn't that to the sour part. That part only consisted of a little bit of oak and a subtle touch of sour cherries. Do you think the taste is over yet? If you think it's over then you're wrong. I thought the taste was over too, but then I noticed that at the bitter end, there was a slight farm yard funkiness taste to it. I think Jolly Pumpkin uses Brett yeast in and that farm yard funkiness proves it. I don't think regular yeast would create that distinct taste.

Mouthfeel: This was a light bodied dry hopped Farmhouse Ale that featured a funky aftertaste of hay, dry hopped grassy hops, a subtle touch of oak, a splash of tart grapefruit, and a hint of sour cherries. It tasted like the aftertaste randomly picked out flavors from the initial taste. The hay and the grassy hops were the only ones from the aftertaste that stood around. They stood around for about 20 seconds and then they decided to leave under their own powers. No water was needed to get rid of them.

Drinkability: Since this was a Jolly Pumpkin beer, I originally thought that it was going to be more sour than hoppy, but I was wrong about that. The sour aspect did take over the aroma, but it was in the taste where the hops made the beer's natural sourness ride behind them. In the end, I enjoyed this light grassy with a slight farm yard funkiness beer. I wouldn't mind having another one of these. If you would like to try a sour Farmhouse Ale with the taste of grassy hops mixed in with it, then this beer is the one.

01-18-2009 19:15:19 | More by AltBock
DrJay

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

Batch 267, 268. Warning: Slow gusher alert. It didn't quite go crazy after the cap was popped, but I wouldn't leave it unattended either.
Clear burnt orange with a solid cap of fine beige bubbles. Good retention, aided by constantly surfacing bubbles, with some moderately sticky lacing. JP funk hits the nose right away, a combination of tartness and acidity, almost like salt and vinegar chips, but much more mellow. Earthy berries and grass, this is hoppier than the regular bam, but it seems like the hops have faded somewhat compared to other reviews of the same batches earlier in the year. Still, very nicely balanced on the nose. The flavour was... everything in the aroma, plus more. Hops were much more pronounced, leafy and grassy with a slight mint character in the finish, quite floral, and the bitterness was sturdy and forceful. This worked well with the light acidity, keeping the palate quite clean. Less fruity than the aroma with just a hint of the berry tartness I expected based on the smell. Light bodied, very dry, with plenty of carbonation that kept the texture light and airy. What can I say, I like just about everything JP puts out. My only (minor) issue was the dryness seemed to work against this beer, crowding out some of the flavour.

12-27-2008 20:26:13 | More by DrJay
SurlyDuff

Oregon

3.98/5  rDev +5%

Had this and Bam Bier 750's back to back over 2 evenings. I actually think I liked the Bam Bier a bit better. This one just seemed a bit less complex, and a bit more unrefined.

Poured a dark amber into my Church BrewWorks tulip glass. Craggly white head sits aloft.

Immediatly getting a big ole yeasty farmhouse brett funk, which I definitly dig. Some other earthy grassy aromas in there too as the hops show up. I totally love the open fermentation and the tasty saison funk, but this just didnt meet my apparently high expectations.

It;s basically funly yeast with some hops dumped in. It's just kind of flat...not carbonation wise...but flavor wise, compared to other JP brews ive had.

12-16-2008 21:52:42 | More by SurlyDuff
midnite2sixman

3.35/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours a brown raisin type color with a nice head almost an inch and a half thick.

First smell is a blast of sour and maltiness.

Taste is sour up front. Funky. Then sweet and a dash of hops for good measure. Definitely a wild beer from a brewery known for its eccentricities.

Not sure if the nailed this one or not, but I won't say it isn't worth trying. The balance of the sour and funk doesn't necessarily match up with the hops in my opinion.

12-04-2008 05:14:56 | More by midnite2sixman
rowew

Colorado

2.95/5  rDev -22.2%

Presentation: 750 capped, No ABV or date information.

Appearance: Reddish brown with a big head, tan colored.

Smell: Sour is just about the only aroma I can pull out. Maybe a bit of yeast funk, but its buried by the sour.

Taste: Sour, a bit of a tinny flavor. There is some yeast funk, but not much malt flavor in there.

Overall impression: This one seems sour for the sake of sour, without a lot of depth to it. Still interesting, but not one of the better sour beers I've had.

11-28-2008 21:13:44 | More by rowew