La Parcela - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

La ParcelaLa Parcela

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Kegatron on 11-04-2008)
4.09/5  rDev +6%

3.63/5  rDev -6%

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

Typical Jolly Pumpkin offering.The spicing adds a really nice flavor to the usual sourness, but there's not really much pumpkin coming through. A very good beer, well worth trying.

3.74/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a cloudy amber with one finger thick dense white head, a few rings of lace on the glass. Smell: lactic with straw and bread aromas, unripe nectarine, coriander, ginger-ish but maybe that's just a component of the raw pumpkin... not canned junk, so don't expect a pumpkin pie in your face... not getting any cocoa. If you're not going to give me an intense and accurate beersentation of pumpkin pie, then this is what I want. Taste brings the same. plus a pop of nutmeg-ish spice. Refreshing. Light-medium bodied, velvet feel, tart and drying finish with a little residual sugar and spice beat out by oak and grapeskin. Bottled 10/10/14. Much needed different take on the style (not that it's a new release) given the trend towards bigger, sweeter, barrel-ier.

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

Was not that sour. The pumpkin flavor was not as strong as it could have been. And at the same time there was not much in the way of spices.

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

4.04/5  rDev +4.7%

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

4.16/5  rDev +7.8%

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%

I picked up a bottle of Jolly Pumpkin's La Parcela a couple weeks ago for $12.99 at The Lager Mill. I've tried most of Jolly Pumpkins bottled lineup, but I don't think I've ever had this one before and I'm really interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a Jolly Pumpkin snifter.

A- The label looks good, it goes good with the season and i think it's eye catching. It poured a cloudy darker orange color that took on more of a brighter hue when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of fluffy slightly off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of spotty and patchy lacing. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with that signature JP yeast being the first to show up and it imparts some nice funky, barnyard and wet straw like aromas and it's followed by a light malty aroma. Up next comes nice fruity aroma, first it's the lemon that shows up then it moves on to more of a meaty pumpkin aroma that's on the lighter side. Towards the end comes a lit tart aroma with a nice mixture of spice that was on the lighter side with no single spice sticking out the most. This beer had a good aroma, but I wouldn't mind if the spice showed up just a little more.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of spices with the yeast still being the first to show up and it imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma with just a slight malty flavor showing up in the background. Up next comes the fruits with the lemon still showing up nicely and it's followed by the pumpkin which imparts just a slight meaty pumpkin flavor that's barely noticeable. Up next comes the spices which are really on the light side with no single spice sticking out the most and it's barely noticeable. On the finish there's a higher amount of light tartness with some nice tart and fruity flavors showing up in the aftertaste along with some of that funky yeast. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, but i wish the pumpkin and spices were both stronger.

M- Smooth, not too acidic, crisp, a little dry on the finish, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and i thought it was a good example of a JP beer, but strictly as a Pumpkin Ale it falls shorts since the pumpkin and the spices aren't all that noticeable, but in the end I still enjoyed it. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, not too acidic, crisp, a little dry on the finish, not too filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I don't think I would have a problem drinking the whole bottle since it's not too acidic and there's isn't any aspect that was too overpowering and would wear on me. What I like the most about this beer was mouthfeel, it was pretty good and it fit in nicely with this beer. What I like the least about this beer was that the spices and pumpkin didn't show up more, I can get a little bit of them, but I found myself wish that both aspects were much stronger. I would buy this beer again, it's not something I'm going to stock up on, but I'll for sure get one when it's released next year. I would recommend this to any farmhouse ale fan, if your looking for a good Pumpkin Ale I'm pretty sure you will be disappointed. All in all I liked this beer, but I didn't love it, I think the balance was a little off and in the end I just wanted more of those pumpkin and spice aspects. It's not my favorite JP beer or my favorite of the style, it kind of falls in the middle in both categories. Nice job guys, this beer wasn't bad at all, keep up the hard work.

3.76/5  rDev -2.6%