La Parcela - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Kegatron on 11-04-2008

The color of jack o'lantern guts. Massive rocky froth the color of 2 day old snow thick enough to ski. The same as with any great wood aged wild ale the aroma presents as a still-life: Slices of pumpkin, green apple, cacao, nutmeg, whipped egg whites on a pickle barrel. Strange that I get aroma of eggwhites, but hey, anything can come out of a barrel. In the retronasal I get a small piece of scallion. Caveat: I don't know much about the sensory perception of cacao. Here I presume it adds to the mouthfeel, and maybe to the aroma by way of the "eggwhites." I don't know how cacao would taste, especially in wood. BTW I can't say cacao without thinking about Portlandia.

Thank you Ron for not slapping me in the face with pumpkin spices. This tastes of hand-cut, fresh squeezed pumpkin and fresh grated nutmeg. It has an elderflower finish, a little astringent and totally refreshing.

With a great barrel-beer I tend to forget the base: The malt bill and hop order. This beer has a smooth mouthfeel, light but lingering bitter finish. I appreciate the lower abv. and think more alcohol would have made this too sharp. La Parcela has great malic sourness, orange pithiness, marigold leaf. Restraint plus highly evolved wood equals a pinnacle of refreshment. This could have come from a Belgian valley. Fantastic! Superb! "highly evolved"

3.91/5  rDev +1.3%

1596th Review on BA
Bottle to Jolly Pumpkin/Maui Tulip

Batch 876/877
2011 Vintage
Purchased at Whole Foods, Las Vegas, NV

App- It was about the orange of the la parcela color on the label. Had a nice depth of color and looked a bit golden intermixed. A bit dense in the center and lighter on the outsides. The head was a nice 2 finger white and billowy with a good bit of lace and retention.

Smell- I think this one is probably better fresh. I did find it in June in LV so held onto it for a bit. The nose was mainly just a sour yeast aroma that I can only imagine is proprietary to JP because all the beers I have had from them are about the same. A light spice note and a bit of a prickly light oak.

Taste- Its mainly just a nice sour to me. A bit delicate and a bit floral from the spices taking a bit of a turn. A little bit of a cinnamon note as it warmed, but mainly just a yeasty sour flavor. Not a infected sour apple, but more intended and flavorful. Still fresh thing the pumpkin wouldve been there but has since died out.

Mouth- It was a fuller medium body with more a full carbonation. A good feel as a bit of a lush and candy like creamy feel. The bubbles do a good job coating the palate. Residual cinnamon, apple, yeast and a bit of lemon sour.

Drink- Well I was thinking this would be a bit more layered. A bit one-sided but thats okay. Its a sour pumpkin beer thats a year old. I would love a fresher bottle but I think even with decay to pumpkin a nice sour came out. Rating to how I liked it vs. style on this one.

4.01/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I have to start this out mentioning that I am a huge fan of sours. Opening this one I immediately was hit with the all to familiar jolly pumpkin sour apple yeasty smell.

Poured fantastic, it's a clear beer and one I appreciate being clear being it's a pumpkin ale. Still retains a nice orange color with some fantastic lacing, the nice one finger head eventually diminishes.

Smells of a fantastic drinkable sour. The sour notes do overwhelm the pumpkin flavor and spice notes. They could definitely up those notes and still be safe.

Taste is great, what can I say other than it's their usual great sour apple notes mixed with a touch spice and pumpkin. It's all very very subtle though. I was expecting more pumpkin and spice.

I really enjoyed this one, It's a fantastic sour even if the notes of pumpkin and spice are really subdued. Actually the fact their subdued is kind of nice this time of year (autumn) since most pumpkin ales overdo it. I will definitely buy this one again, if I can find it.

Edit: It's been a while since I've written this review, so After having it again. I have to up the rating slightly. It's such a nice refreshing break from the overly spiced pumpkin beers. Taste is so pleasant and is easily drinkable.

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

Batch 876/877 bottled 9/14/2011

A - pours with a pillowy thick 2 finger lightly tan/off white head with excellent retention atop a hazy orangish-hued brew, on the orange side of unpasteurized apple juice

S - Tart, sourdough aroma overpowers the presence of any other ingredients, except some yeast esters: pineapple, granny smith apple; maybe a hint of pumpkin flesh, but my mind/nose could be playing tricks on me

T - the lactic acid is upfront - it takes some focus to tease out a malt breadiness and pumpkin accents, not to mention the touch of cacao under the tongue - and there's a lingering bitterness, especially as it warms - either the product of age/improper cellaring (probably, as this was purchased in Phoenix, AZ) or some recipe problems, an unwanted reaction between oak tannins and the cacao

M - the high carbonation level suits the tartness very well, and this combination does well in the face of such a dry and well-attenuated brew, a significant difference from many other pumpkin ales

D - not the home run I've come to expect from Jolly Pumpkin; I would have liked to have tasted this beer a little younger and closer to its source, and while it's a welcome departure from many other pumpkin ales, it seems a little more befitting of the spring - or best, an Indian summer - rather than the fall. Still, a quite good beer.

a sour pumpkin beer? it was only a matter of it. i opened this with much excitement. it poures a hazy pale orange color, with a one inch head made of tiny white bubbles. it lasts quite awhile too. the nose is very strange, sour and acidic like lacto at first, then a smooth sweet vibe from the cacao, and finally tart pumpkins, almost composty if you didnt know what sour beer was. its taste is also very different. theres a bit more spice, cinnamon for sure, and the pumpkin flavor is more pronounced than in the smell. smooth feel, again i think from the addition of cacao, which is an interesting additive in a beer. there is a little vinegar taste in the finish, but it matches up well with the sweet component. great carbonation and enough body for a fall beer. ive definitely never had anything like this, and it grew on me as i drank through it. definitely search this out if you dig pumpkin ales.

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

*Bottled 9-14-2011 Blend of Batches 876/877*

A- Pours a hazy orange amber color with a huge head that sticks around. Classic of the Belgium style. In many ways belgium style has the foam and carbonation of any style of beer in my opinion.

S- Awesome funky with citrus and sour cherries. I don't detect any of the classic pumpkin notes that are typical of pumpkin ales, but then again this isn't a typical pumpkin beer.

T- Pretty good sour notes, tart cherries. Okay, I love the flavor I just want more from it. I like the big sour tartness and I just feel the beer is missing some of the umph I get from a lot of these beers.

M- Medium/light body with big carbonation again classic belgium style again here.

O- Great beer all around and a wonderful take on the pumpkin beer style. This really mixes it up in this season of pumpkin beers with all spice, and cinnamon.

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

A- Pours a hazy orange color with a Nice 2" white head that leaves excellent lacing

S- Sour notes? Wasn't expecting that, not too much pumpkin but I do like the smell here

T- Nice sour notes here as well :) Touch of apple and maybe some pumpkin? Just enjoying this sour aparently

M- Nice and carbonated, nothing crazy but nothing thats a let down

O- I really liked this. For the price I'll never get it again but I was glad to try it this once

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Just watched my Bears win on this chilly October twilight and with all the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror commercials, I figured I'd give this one a try.

Poured a hazy, non-translucent medium golden amber that produced a thin, bone white fizzly head that quickly faded to an inconsistent lacey ring around the glass. Smells of artifical pumpkin, spices and citrus. The tastes align with he the smells. Has a very sour, tart taste. Definite carbonation with a champaigney dry finish. It isn't the spicey, rich ale as many pumpkin ales tend to be. As others have mentioned, this one has the consistency of a cider. Enjoyable and refreshing, nonetheless. Glad I tried.

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

A-amber with a hint of orange. Thin white head

S-sweet pumpkin cream. Slight roasted scent. Definitely a tartness here.

T-a complex taste with levels of flavor. Comes in with a tart taste of pumpkin. Almost like pumpkin flavored sour cream. It has autumn spices. They're subtle and different though, more like roasted chestnuts. The tartness sticks all the way through.

M-medium carbonation with a dry finish

O-a very complex beer that is nicely sour. Actually I bet if I gave this to someone and had them taste it, I bet they wouldn't realize it's a pumpkin beer. It could have a bit more robustness to it, but it'd be difficult to make a better pumpkin sour.

4.17/5  rDev +8%

A-Aggresively pours an orange color with a fluffy head with good retention

S-Strongest aromas are dominated by belgian yeasty/sourness. hints of pumpkin and spice. You should know before ever taking a sip what you're getting into.

T - Strong sweet/bitter sour flavor dominates. There is a small pumpkin flavor that comes through in the finish that is overwhlemed with oakiness.

M-medium-light body

O- Overall I have dove head-first into the sour trend and therefore really liked this one. Hints if pumpkin made me even happier, but you simply can't go into this one thinking you're drinking a "pumpkin beer"

2.11/5  rDev -45.3%

Was pretty excited to try but excitement ended rather quickly. Nice color and smell but could taste hardly any pumpkin. Very sour and bitter after taste. Expected better from Jolly Pumpkin especially at an $11.99 price tag. Out of all the pumpkin beers I have had this year this at the bottom of the list.

1.88/5  rDev -51.3%

I bought the 750 mL bottle here last Sunday. The ale was bottle on 9-14-2011. The ale had a nice aromatic smell and the color I expected. The taste however, I did not find appeasing. It tasted more cider like rather than an ale to be truthful. It was very sour not what youd expect from a pumpkin ale. So if youre not a fan of sours, I would not recommend.

3.58/5  rDev -7.3%

A-pours a nice orange amber color with a white fluffy head with good retention
S-pumpkin, spice, belgian yeast/sour
T-distinct sour flavor up front, pumpkin flavor comes through in the finish, overall not a bad balance
M-medium-light bodied
O-Very interesting take on a pumpkin ale, I'm a big fan of sours so I enjoyed it but I could see where some people may have wanted a bit more pumpkin characteristic to it

This was from a bottle bought at the brewpub. Was from last year's batch and was exactly a year old: 9-1-11.

Poured into a tulip and pours a nice orange color with a good foamy head.

There is a pretty good dose of funk along with aromas of spices, cloves, oranges and floral notes as well.

Medium bodied with a very smooth feel and nice depth of flavors. The funk notes are certainly there along with notes of spices, cloves and oranges.

Likely the best pumpkin beer that I've had. I'm not normally a fan of them, but it's jolly pumpkin and I'm not all too surprised that I enjoyed it. The beer being a year old added some complexity and the funk notes really came out more.

1.84/5  rDev -52.3%

Served from a bomber into a pint glass.

A-Very very pretty beer. Gives of the very heir of pumpkin itself. A thick, cloudy mix of yellow and orange, with just enough amber to give it a very distinct character, topped with a nice head that has some real staying power.

S- Surprisingly lackluster. Given the look of the beer I was expecting a nose of equal accompaniment, but there was hardly anything there. Faint hints of yeast are there and you can already smell the tartness in the brew. The smell dissipates quickly however leaving nothing noteworthy.

M-The beer coats the mouth quite nicely to start, but the tartness quickly swoops in and ruins the experience. The brew puckers your lips and makes it hard to swallow.

T-The taste takes on the low notes of the feel and fails to pair them with any sort of upside. The label reads a brew mixed with all sorts of things from pumpkin to cacao to various spices, but none of that is apparent as the sweetness blows out each and every flavor. I gave this beer one shot after another hoping the flavor would meld into the other aspects of the beer, but it never came. Frankly, and I do not use this term lightly, I found it to be undrinkable.

O-Very disappointing on almost all fronts. The very essence of pumpkin is often misconstrued as a sweet and sugary taste, which often eliminates the more earthly elements of the fruit. To me, La Parcela takes that misconception and puts it on steroids. I will not be purchasing this again.

2.98/5  rDev -22.8%

Quick review (at the bar right now)
fairly simple. It gives you a good tartness but not much else. Fades quickly and bitter. Will do as a fix, but would not seek it out again. Looks decent, smells tart but there is simply no complexity. No malt sweetness and a mildly unpleasant bitter finish.

3.66/5  rDev -5.2%

A: Very elegant bottle. The art from Jolly Pumpkin is always nice. As for the beer it pours a pumpkin orange with lots of bubbles. Very nice.

S: Fruity, sour, sweet, spice notes. Sour dominates and leaves little room for other scents to come through.

T: Hm, not really picking up on the pumpkin flavor. Sour dominates. A little spicy bitterness at the end.

M: Very light and very bubbly.

Overall a nice beer but a bit of a dissapointment. I was really hoping for some pumpkin flavor but the sourness of this beer really dominates. There is a bitterness at the end that seems to not compliment the other flavor notes. I've had better from JP.

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

Appearance: Golden orange with a beautiful foamy two-finger froathy head.

Smell: Sour, tart & spicy. Slightly funky.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Tangy & tart with an initial spike on the palette. Smooths down with an undercurrent of spice, along with a fuller body of the pumpkin & spice kicking in. Slight sour aftertaste...but ever so slight...has more a dry bent to it (probably from the cacao).

Overall: Gawd I love some Jolly Pumpkin. As with all of their ales, they never disappoint. Glad to have tried a Jolly Pumpkin with actual pumpkin in it! Must try!

4.02/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a bottle into a CCB snifter

A- pours amber with a paper thin white head which quickly fades. Blah, but I expected this for a wild

S- the smell is interesting: funk, and pumpkin. Funky pumpkin. Nice.

T- mildly tart pumpkin comes through, while the finish is sweet and has hints of cinnamon in it. Very interesting

M- medium bodied, a little thin. As expected

O- this reminds me a lot of a pumpkin berliner weisse, which is something I don't think I've ever seen before. Definitely going to buy this more often

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

1pt bottle.Tumbler glass.Enjoyed on jun´11. Orangish amber in color.Foggy,showing sediments in suspension.Off white creamy froth.Small bubbled crown.Fairly well retention.Lacing rings are left.Apple,grape & piney hop aromas.Humid wood too.Sweet tartar upfront.Offers slightly diacetil notes.Quite peppery.Fruity & crispy palate.Light body,high carbonation.Harsh mouthfeel.Acidic apricot finish.Dry & fruity aftertaste.Good drinkability.Refreshing.Very well balanced flavors.

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into aecht schlenferla snifter while tasting with aasher. Pours a dark copper with an obnoxious 5 to 6 fingers of super soapy white foam head.

Strawberry jam, granny smith apple, and a little bit of sweet pumpkin on the nose along with cinnamon and nutmeg.

Bright cherries, rhubarb, and tart apple on the front palate followed by the cinnamon, and nutmeg, as well as some baked apple

Nice flow. The pumpkin notes keep away the vinegar factor.

Very enjoyable sour. Only wish i could taste a little more pumpkin

4.32/5  rDev +11.9%

Bottle split with Kyle (zep9865).

This beer pours a medium bodied dirty orangish amber in color with a barely there creamy white lacing. The nose features plenty of apple cider, spice, coriander, cinnamon, and more cider with a touch of vinegar and a nice creamy tartness. I love the nose. It's all very well integrated. The flavors too are very cider heavy. You get plenty of apple, cinnamon, orange peels, nutmeg, some mild bitterness, and a finishing acetic sour/mild tartness. I like it a lot. It drinks lighter with plenty of carbonation and leaves almost an apple skin like flavor in the after taste. Overall this is a fine sour. It has fall written all over it, despite a lack of pumpkin influence. I say this is really an American wild ale. The spices actually worked with the apple skins to create an authentic autumn time sour beer. Well done JP!

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured in to a tulip. Light copper colored body. Slightly hazy. 1 finger white head.

Aroma was malty with some hints of caramel. Light funkiness. Pretty earthy with a subtle chocolate aroma.

Taste was interesting. Not much pumpkin or spice flavoring. Slight chocolate, slight malty flavor. Wild yeast really took over the flavors. Nice musty, funky and slight tarness. Light dark fruit notes. Different, but in a good way.

Medium body with a medium/high carb. Nice crisp finish.

Overall it was a really tasty beer. Not something you would expect out of a pumpkin beer, but with it being JP, the funk was sure to be there. Good drinkability.

4.12/5  rDev +6.7%

This beer pours a hazy organge bronze color. The head is short and bright white.

Sour reaches the nose immediately and very faint smells of pumpkin and spice enter, but barely exist.

There are medium-light bubbles.

It tastes quite simple: sour. There are also minute flavors of spice and some bitter at the end. Finishes moderately dry.

Overall a descent brew. Just don't expect to taste any pumpkin.

3.97/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: It is somewhere between a brass and copper color. The head is not quite dark enough to be tan but I would say a dingy off white.

Smell: Sour fruit even in the aroma and bit spicy.

Taste: The taste reminds me a lot of a sour cider with some mulling spice. It is very interesting. It is like nothing I have ever had in a beer. Earthy hops presents with mild malt at the end.

Mouthfeel: Sort of thin with a nice bite. Very warm.

Overall: Not a chugging beer but a nice sipper.

La Parcela from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales