La Parcela - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

La ParcelaLa Parcela

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Kegatron on 11-04-2008)
alpinebryant

Connecticut

3.58/5  rDev -7.3%

Pour a dark hazy amber with a light white head that quickly subsides to just lacing at the edges.

Smell of sour apple, pumpkin pie spices of cinnamon, cloves, and oak.

Taste of tart apples, oak, light pumpkin, cinnamon, cloves and a little funk. There is such a small amount of funk in this beer that I hardly thought it was even Jolly Pumpkin after opening it. There is however that familiar funky oak flavor that all Jolly Pumpkin beers have. While I have never especially thought that JP made any jaw dropping wild ales, I would say that this one is by far the most drinkable. There is a very light body and a hefty carbonation which although make it more palatable; I can hardly say make it a great beer.

More complex than some pumpkin brews? yes, and I have to give credit for not just making an imperial pumpkin ale with spices like many other breweries seem to be doing now. Good for breaking the pumpkin fall ale 'mold' (no pun intended) , however it just tastes too watered down and not sour enough for it to be worth the $16 tag.

10-25-2010 23:04:58 | More by alpinebryant
kzoobrew

Batch 579 bottled 08/10/10

Hazy pumpkin orange body, rather fitting for a pumpkin ale. Massive head develops from even a careful pour, I would expect nothing less from Jolly Pumpkin. Frothy head recedes leaving a moderate cap. Thick splotchy lacing left scattered around the perimeter of the glass.

The aroma is rather interesting. Pumpkin, spices and cacao aromas are more prevalent immediately after the pour when the carbonation is more lively. As the beer settles a tart apple aroma begins to overwhelm the aforementioned aromas. A touch of oak is nestled in beneath bring a bit of continuity to the nose.

The Pumpkin Ale category does not seem accurate to the tongue at first sip. With a strong tartness and sweet apple flavors La Parcela comes off more as a spiced cider. As the beer warms the pumpkin does emerge though the tart apple flavor never fully diminishes. Dried spices and cacao are left on the back of the palate, quite the pleasant flavor to be left lingering.

Medium bodied with lively carbonation. The finish is dry though a few subtle flavors are left lingering.

From a style in which the differences are usually minimal, Jolly Pumpkin manages to set itself apart. Pleasant complexity and flavor progression. Drinkability is rather high, sitting and having a couple is certainly no chore. One to check out if you can get your hands on.

10-25-2010 22:55:04 | More by kzoobrew
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Served from tap into a snifter. Poured deep orange with a one finger white head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of granny smith apple, sweet malt, and upon initial inspection I thought I smelled dirty diaper. The diaper aroma left upon sitting for a minute thank God... The flavor was of slightly sweet malt, saison spices, and a subtle sour note. It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. The flavor was very well balanced. Honestly, I'm not sure where the dirty diaper smell came from... I was the only person in the place besides the employee and he was in the back. I also checked myself, no findings. It left fortunately so it wasn't really a big deal afterall. This one is a must try though. Can you find the diaper?

10-25-2010 11:44:03 | More by thagr81us
KYFriedChildren

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

Had on tap at Pinocchio's in Media.

Appearance- An light seemingly sligtly cloudy orange. Looks like the color of pale pumpkin rind with a small white head on it. The head disappeared pretty quickly and left a ring around my tulip glass.

Smell- It smells of sour pumpkin and the usual spices that accompany a pumpkin brew. Very tart, almost pungent (not in a bad way).

Taste- Tastes like a sour blended with a relatively mild pumpkin ale. I suppose that's what they're going for so... mission accomplished. It's tart and sour of course. Little acidic.

Mouthfeel-Nicely carbonated so it's a bit tingly, but the acidity makes it something you wouldn't want to swish in your mouth for too long. Also, it's a touch watery.

Drinkability- It's a decent beer but it's a bit too acidy and a little expensive for a pint so I wouldn't have more than a couple. Certainly worth trying.

10-25-2010 06:40:31 | More by KYFriedChildren
thekanna

Maryland

2.25/5  rDev -41.7%

A: Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a stein. Gold with about 2 fingers of fluffy head.

S: Tart citrus fruits and applies, with a little horse blanket and funk thrown in.

T: Strong funk flavor: hay and horse stall, with some apple and pear thrown in, off-putting sourness and a bit of pepper. Definitely more of a wild ale than pumpkin ale.. I can barely taste the pumpkin.

M: Medium body with decent carbonation and a dry finish.

D: If I didn't know better, I'd say this was completely an American Wild Ale. I don't taste the pumpkin or the accompanying spaces at all... I would've thought a brewery named "Jolly Pumpkin" would produce a more pumpkin-like brew. And at $14.99 a bottle, it was completely not worth it.

10-25-2010 04:07:36 | More by thekanna
mdfb79

3.45/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip.

a - Pours a golden color with one inch of fluffy white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of tart apples, sour fruits, and maybe light pumpkin, but not much.

t - Tastes of spices, light fruit, and a hint of funk/sour fruit. Tastes kind of watered down, which is disappointing.

m - Light to medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - A good beer, but didn't seem to have a lot of pumpkin to it and the taste was pretty watered down. Would try again but wouldn't seek out.

10-23-2010 23:57:55 | More by mdfb79
pzrhsau

District of Columbia

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%

On tap at the Birch and Barley/Churchkey
A:Nice cloudy brownish orange color with a nice off white colored head.
S: Nice tangy alcohol woody notes to compliment some notes of pumpkin rind and spices.
T: It has an interesting tangy flavor that is a little strange and adds an acidic quality to a very deep basic flavor that I expect from most pumpkin ales. I definitely has all of the flavor components that i receive from pumpkin to nutmeg and cinnamon. It just adds that extra little dimension that changes it.
D/M: Very good but tough to drink if you dont have a palate for tart beers. Well carbonated and worth a try.

10-18-2010 01:25:35 | More by pzrhsau
pmlondrigan

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Glows orangish like a jack-o-lantern, Small white head fades fast, the beer is slightly opaque. Smells like basement must, lots of fresh pumpkin and oak. The taste is complex. Kinda sour up front with big raw pumpkin flavor, oak, and cacao is real present. Some other spices make an apperance. Finish is lingering pumpkin and funk. Great mouthfeel, real thick. Tasty tasty, hard to review though because its not a traditional pumpkin ale as it is barrel aged.

10-18-2010 00:48:27 | More by pmlondrigan
DefenCorps

Oregon

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

On tap at Max's. $6/32oz pour, it's a much better deal than the $19 bottle I passed on yesterday.

Hazy pumpkin orange with a dense off-white head with great retention and lace, this is one of the better looking pumpkin ales I've had. The nose is surprisingly muted. Pumpkin spice, pumpkin flesh, low funk with some vanilla, I get some nutmeg and mace. While it smells pleasant, this isn't as flavorful as I was expecting. Palate opens mildly tart with the spices coming through. The pumpkin flavor is moderate, with the spices being relatively mild. For a change, it seems like this doesn't have the entire gamut of pumpkin pie spices, it seems like cinnamon and nutmeg are missing. Mild sweetness is present, this is not very funky, arguably a little blah. Light in body with mild lemon character, this is medium-light in body with moderate carbonation and a decent finish. Decent, not worth the high price tag, for bottles at least.

10-18-2010 00:18:04 | More by DefenCorps
nickd717

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

750ml bottle from K&L. Finally a pumpkin beer from Jolly Pumpkin. ABOUT F-ING TIME, GUYS! The nerve of some people.

I just love the way this beer looks. The color is a clear bright pumpkin orange, and the head totally overwhelms the glass with thick white billowing foam. Thick lacing remains after the clouds recede.

Nice subtle pumpkin aroma. Jolly Pumpkin usually goes big on the funk, but this time it is restrained.

Spicy with a hint of chocolate. The flavor also has big pumpkin, a little sweet and only mildly funky, although the house yeast is evident. Slight cocoa and pie spices balance it out.

Very smooth and silky on the mouthfeel with soft carbonation.

For a pumpkin ale, I think this is great, and I'm a big fan of pumpkin beers. Guess these guys finally lived up to their name and are no longer hypocrites. I guess now I don't have to keep calling them Jolly Blump- ok, let's not go there.

10-17-2010 05:24:46 | More by nickd717
AgentZero

4.13/5  rDev +7%

A - A coppery yellow color with a one and a half finger white head that left some fairly decent lacing on the sides.

S - Holy spice, Batman! Smelled a lot like a sour with an inordinate amount of peppery spice going on. You really have to strain to smell the pumpkin on this one, and I'm not entirely sure I wasn't imagining it.

T - I think this is almost misclassified as a pumpkin ale. To me it tastes a lot like a robust American wild with an interesting amount of spice and some yeast added to it. Sweet and tart, with a nice malt bankbone that is a little bit unusual (maybe that's the pumpkin coming through). A little bit of oak and a slightly peppery funk on it. I rate this as high on taste as I do because it's different and pretty good. Not going to say fantastic, but the uniquness made me want to drink a lot more of it.

M - A nice dose of carbonation helps to bring out the flavor on this one a little bit. Medium bodied.

D - A little bit heavy for a wild ale, which is what I'm thinking of it as at this point, but pretty drinkable. I think the spice and weight of it might make it hard to drink for some, but I found it to be pretty enjoyable and think I would get the full effect of what this beer is really about after three or so glasses.

10-17-2010 04:53:35 | More by AgentZero
birchstick

Colorado

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

A - pours a honey yellow color that is pretty hazy and not much head

S - spicy pumpkin funk on the nose, interesting for sure

T - the overall theme of this beer is a sour pumpkin with nice spiciness. This has a lighter pumpkin flavor that plays off the rest of the spicy earthiness and funk. A welcomed change in flavor for this style.

M- very dry finish that is preceded by a medium body

D - this is a pretty solid pumpkin beer. The earthy funkiness was a great complement to the pumpkin flavor, which I wasn't sure how it would work. Solid pumpkin beer, but $15 a 750ml will probably keep me from exoring again.

10-15-2010 23:05:04 | More by birchstick
Thorpe429

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

On tap at Churchky.

Pours a really nice hazy copper-orange with an off white head. Decent amount of lace on the way down. Nose brings definite notes of pumpkin along with some oak and a bit of earth. Some funk but not too much. Taste brings some light pumpkin flavor and slight sourness. Mostly earth and oak along with accompanying funk. Feel is light and dry. Drinks quite well and one of the better and most unique pumpkin beers out there.

10-14-2010 22:21:40 | More by Thorpe429
NCSUdo

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

750 mL botte, batch 598, bottled 8/11/10

A: Clear copper under a medium white head. Excellent lace and retention. Very good looking bber.

S: Typical sour aroma from JP, light spice in the background.

T: Funky yeast, light hint of pumpkin, hay, bit of sweetness, maybe a quick flash of cocoa near the finish, mild bitterness.

M/D: Medium bodied, carbonation is a touch high but over the body takes on a creamy character. Drinkability is good.

Pumpkin beer? I'm not convinced. But I'm a sucked for sour beers and I love JP stuff, so I can't bring myself to give this one to low of scores, because it IS good.

10-14-2010 00:35:35 | More by NCSUdo
cheapxceptbeer

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

This was a beautiful looking beer, a cloudy orange brew, looks the way I would have visualized a pumpkin brew to look.

On closer inspection this smells like a funky/spicy yeasty belgian beer (not that there is anything wrong with that) I got a slight waft of spice and a hint of pumpkin meat, not what I expected.

Taste is similar, starts out with a nice mild caramel malt flavor, then you start to notice the spice, as well as the funky/spicy belgian yeast. Near the end you notice a blending of funk/malt/spice/pumpkin and the cocoa that is subtle but noticeable, and then this thing finishes about as dry as anything I can think of.

The mouthfeel is amazing, this is how you know they used alot of pumpkin. So smooth and rather heavy for a 5.9% brew, probably the best aspect of this beer. Having brewed a belgian pumpkin beer myself (using twice as much pumpkin as malt) I know how hard it is to get the flavor of pumpkin to overshadow belgian yeasts, therefore its nothing about the brewers, the fact is that pumpkin is just not nearly flavorful enough to overshadow the funkier belgian yeasts.

This beer isn't very drinkable for two reasons, one this beer is heavy, you may not taste the pumpkin that much but you sure feel it. And second this beer is a bit too dry, after a pint of this I couldn't have any more until I drank a similar amount of water. Not that I'm against drinking water with beer, but I think I should be able to drink two pints of a sub 7% beer without water in between.

10-13-2010 15:29:13 | More by cheapxceptbeer
TurdFurgison

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

On tap at American Craft, served in a goblet. I had heard that this beer didn't come across like a standard pumpkin beer and that's mostly a good thing for me. It turns out I heard correct, this was a tasty sour with only hints of pumpkin pie, the best of the style I've ever had.

It pours a hazy dark orange color, SRM of 8-12, with a finger of white foam that laces in complete sheets on the glass. The aroma is wild ale-like, very similar to Luciérnaga on first whiff, only the bare minimum of pumpkin, a wild ale first.

The beer tastes mildly tart, a little sweet too. Hints of actual pumpkin and even less of pumpkin pie, this tasted nearly perfect for a pumpkin ale. I wish they could all add a dose of bret, it works well.

10-13-2010 11:36:17 | More by TurdFurgison
glid02

Georgia

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

On-tap at the Porter Beer Bar in Atlanta.

Pours an opaque orange-copper color with a one-finger cream-colored head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of smooth oak with good amounts of funk. Also present are moderate amounts of soft spices - nutmeg and cinnamon - and lighter amounts of meaty pumpkin.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though more muted. Mildly dry caramel malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by solid amounts of spices - mostly nutmeg with hints of cinnamon and brown sugar. Midway through the sip the flavor profile becomes tart with the addition of oak and hints of funkiness. Right before the end of the sip slight amounts of pumpkin flavors briefly work their way into things before fading out into a mildly tart ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I had no problems finishing my glass and could have another.

Overall this was certainly one of the more interesting pumpkin beers I've ever had. Unfortunately I don't think the style lends itself to what JP does best. I don't foresee myself revisiting this one but if you haven't had it then it's certainly worth trying.

10-13-2010 02:13:11 | More by glid02
dirtylou

Washington

on-tap at Hopleaf Chicago, paired with some chorizo-peppidew mussels

cellphone notes

appearance: served in the classic hopleaf tulip, light orange body, hazy, consistent beige foam

smell: lots of funk, yeast, sour lemon, peppery spice...not very pumpkin-y but uniquely jolly pumpkin

taste: I don't think I would have known this was a "pumpkin ale" if served blindly and as others have noted I'll be damned if any cacao comes through. La parcela packs quite the sour punch though, with earthy hay notes, yeast, lemon, apple

mouthfeel: tart, dry finish

drinkability: good

10-10-2010 19:09:20 | More by dirtylou
webmanspidey

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

750 mL bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass. This is a golden brown color with a solid inch or so of foamy head. Smell is sour funky wild yeast with lemon and citrus. Taste is again dominated by the sour yeast with lemon and spiciness. The bottle describes pumpkin and cacao as being the primary flavors here, but they are pretty far in the background, if present at all. This is pretty much a darker saison or wild ale with some mild pumpkin and associated spices added.

Definitely not anything close to the typical pumpkin ale, but very tasty and extremely drinkable.

10-10-2010 03:03:32 | More by webmanspidey
BogleHill

A hazy light amber-orange brew with lacy white head and lots of light, bubbly carbonation. Aroma of funk. Flavor is dominated by the tartness. It's really hard to pick out any pumpkin, spice or cocoa. Nevertheless, this one not your typical pumpkin ale. Rather refreshing and quite drinkable. Crisp, dry fruity finish with perhaps some lingering spice.

10-09-2010 23:35:21 | More by BogleHill
6DaysBottomOcean

3.9/5  rDev +1%

Thanks to DrDogBeer for the try. Pours just like apple cider but with a slightly off white head. Aromas of indistinguishable fruit (pear, pumpkin maybe?) typical funky jolly pumpkin yeast, sweaty socks and white pepper. Flavor is similar with more tart apples presence, the pumpkin is evident somewhere in there but it isn't pronounced. Nice sour/tartness that finishes bracingly dry on the end of the high carbonation. Quite enjoyable.

10-09-2010 00:27:46 | More by 6DaysBottomOcean
7ways

Georgia

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours an opaque tea color with a large enduring head. Great lace and color. Why did I expect it to be bright orange?

I swear the aroma hit me half a second before the bottle was even open. It smells like wet logs and leaves, dried fruit, something close to nutmeg and allspice, and classic Jolly Pumpkin yeast.

This tastes exactly how I expected and wanted it to taste. I'm pretty damn happy right here. Dirty and tart on the surface, but there are waves of apple, orange, and lemon. I taste something different every sip. Slightly more sour and slightly less dry and funky than most other JPs I've had. Subtle apple and pumpkin sweetness on the finish. There are layers here that demand very close attention to be noticed. But where is the cacao?

Not gonna lie, for all it's good qualities, I have no desire to drink more than my half of the shared bottle.

10-07-2010 03:25:21 | More by 7ways
biga7346

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%

2010 Batch# 436/437

A: This beer pours with more rocky, pillowy head than other JP beers I had had. It's an impressively clear and firm copper to burnt orange.

S: Black pepper, carraway, cumin, some waxy phenol, coriander, some mint. Deeply herbal and spicy, reminds me of Christmas potpourri. And of course, with all JP beers, a background of red wine, oakey sourness from the aging (love it).

T/M: More black pepper spiciness, mint, pumpkin pie spices, cinammon. Again, the nose follows the taste in that this is a very herbal beer almost to the point where it is off-putting. I do very much like the interplay between the spice notes and the oak-aging sourness.

D: I have to say not one of my favorite JP beers simply because they do "refreshing" saisons better than anyone and that's what I love about this brewery. This one is a little harder to drink. Definitely not for everybody.

09-28-2010 18:46:29 | More by biga7346
champ103

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

A big thanks to Onslow for sharing this with me and a few other BA friends. Reviewing from notes.

A: Pours a clear but dark orange color. A beige head forms, but recedes in a moment. Light lace is left behind.
S: A nondescript tart/sour/acidic/funkiness that you would except from JP. Maybe some spice and oak, but hard to tell.
T: Follows the nose. Pretty much sour, tart and acidic with some spice. I really don't get anything else that would suggest a Pumpkin Ale.
M/D: A medium body that is crisp and dry. A bit to much carbonation. Not hard to drink, but not really something I am going to come back to.

I get the joke, JP needed to make a Pumpkin beer and this is it. Though it is just the typical sour and funky JP beer. Just kind of nondescript sour at that. Not much nuance that I usually get from their funky Farmhouse beers. I really like most of their beers, but this is a style that just does not go with funk. Interesting to try once, but that is it.

09-27-2010 19:02:18 | More by champ103
OWSLEY069

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

Batch 436/437

Pours a clean orange-ish/ yellow color with an off white head. In the aroma, sour white grapes, nutmeg, and cinnamon. In the taste, green apple, cinnamon, nutmeg and a dry pumpkin under all that. Almost cider like. A spicy bite and a light to medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry cider like and small spice aftertaste. Not so much pumpkin, but spicy and almost cider like.

09-24-2010 23:28:32 | More by OWSLEY069