Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Baudelaire IO - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Baudelaire IOBaudelaire IO

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: NoLiberty on 10-27-2009

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a fruity pomegranate red, with lots and lots of white foam. The head retains in clumps pretty well, leaving lots of lacing.

S: Grain, light sweet fruit, funk, and yeast. The overall blend is very nice.

T: Sweet saison yeast and grain, tart fruit, a little vinous. The finish is has very nice complexity, tart and dry and sweet and deep.

M: Medium body, medium to high carbonation.

Overall, very very nice. Everything comes together very well, and the individual elements are nice if you try to focus them individually.

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

wild ale saison type with rose hips, rose petals, and hibiscus flowers. what a cool beer, the first ive had with hibiscus not to be way over the top like perfume, beautifully balanced and accentuated by the accents here, just killer beer. i come across this in my revisiting everything jolly pumpkin has done, and its all just so darn good. lovely dark pink orangey color to this, under a titanic white foam head that continues to rise and never fades, good looks. the nose is quite floral, i smell the rose hips before the others, and of course the classic brett strains of this brewery. a lighter wheat malt lets the funk shine through, a tad sour and lactic, a little citrus, but a lot of rose hip and rose petal in this, its summery but also trans-seasonal. there is a mellow herbal quality, and a tea-like property as well, both from the floral additions i assume, and the finish is bright and light and dry and funky, while maintaining a smoother feel with a lush body and tickling carbonation. this is a demonstration of creativity, restraint, craftsmanship, and beauty. a one of a kind brew worthy of the highest accolades.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Blend 3
Bottled 1-18-2011

Poured from the 750 into a tulip. Visually a very attractive beer. Deep cherry red in color. Pillowy pink hued white head forms easily with a quarter inch of that lingering for a while. Lacing covers the glass as I drink.

Smell is strong with plenty of Brett funk. Fairly typical JP Brett smell but definitely on the floral side. Tart berries are there as well with an underlying smell of peppery spiciness.

Flavor is not as complex but very pleasant on the palate. The front of your tongue is treated to somewhat tart strawberries. A mildly bitter funkiness lingers on the sides for quite a while after every sip. The spiciness in the nose is also there but overshadowed easily by the overall fruitiness of the brew.

Body is light, with a dry finish. Exactly what I want in a saison. Carbonation is high without being fizzy.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter, this is a translucent dark pink color with around an inch of fizzy head. Smells are sweet and spicy with loads of cloves, pepper, apple, and roses. Taste is a mellow blend of cloves and roses that slowly blend into an easy malty finish. Mouthfeel is frothy and creamy. Alcohol presence is very limited, keeping this extremely drinkable. Well done.

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is one of the better saisons I have tried. Not too bitter or sour. Instead it finds the perfect middle ground. Lots of carbonation here which fits well with the citrusy taste. A really tasty, refreshing beer

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a complex reddish orangish brownish color with a substantial off white head made of large bubbles, a steady stream of bubbles flowing up from the bottom of the glass. Yep, she's a purty one!

Smells more sour than I was expecting--very tart, lots of brett too. I get pear and banana and apple and grape, some flowers, something faintly peppery, and a pretty healthy amount of funk. Not hard to believe this is a Jolly Pumpkin beer.

Taste opens with lots of tart grape, fades into some funky flowers and pepper, finishes with more fruit (pear/apple). Fairly sour up front but finishes a little more sweet. Spicy brett really comes out in the aftertaste. Only sweet for a second, pretty dry overall (more dry than acidic). Quite complex, and damn tasty.

Mouthfeel is great, tons of carb, you can feel it bubbling on the tongue. Very drinkable, refreshing even.

I like this!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Jolly Pumpkin's Baudelaire IO a couple weeks ago for $13.99 at The Lager Mill. I've been just now starting to get into these Jolly Pumpkin beers, and I wanted to get something different that I normally wouldn't buy and I'm interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Release, I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a snifter.

A- I really like the label on this beer, it's got a nice and artsy look to it that makes it look pretty fancy, it reminds of a fancy wine label. It poured a nice redish brown color that took on some ruby hues when held to the light with two and half fingers worth of fluffy slightly pink head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a nice fruity aroma with no single fruit seeming to stick out the most and there's a slightly noticeable hibiscus aroma in the background. Up next comes that signature Jolly Pumpkin yeast that imparts a nice and funky aroma with some oak aromas in the background, This beer had a very nice aroma, I really liked the balance between the fruity and funky aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by that same fruity aspect that I got in the aroma with no single fruit sticking out more than the other and there's a nice and lighter oaky flavor hanging around in the background. Up next comes the Jolly Pumpkin yest that adds just the right amount of funky flavors to this beer with some hibiscus like flavors in the background. On the finish there's hardly any bitterness with some nice lighter tartness taking it's place that has a Brett like flavor to it with a funky and fruity aftertaste. This is a very nice tasting beer, all the flavors worked really well together.

M- Pretty smooth, clean, crisp, fairly tart, medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation that was a little prickly. The mouthfeel was very nice and it worked really well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and a very good example of a funky Farmhouse style Saison, I tend to like my Saison's with a little bit of funk to them so I ended up really liking the balance of the typical Saison with the funky and fruity flavors, it was nicely done. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it was pretty smooth, clean, not filling, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, I don't think I would have any problem drinking the whole bottle to myself, no need to share this one. What I liked the most about this beer was pretty much everything, in my opinion this beer didn't have a weak point. What I liked the least about this beer was the price, at $14 it's a little on the expensive side and that would prevent me from buying it as much as I would like, I think $9 or $10 would be the perfect price. I would for sure buy this beer again, if i see another bottle at the beer store I will pick it up to see how it changes over time, but for $14 it's more of a special occasion type of beer for me. I would recommend this to any Jolly Pumpkin fans or anybody who likes a funkier Saison. All in all I really enjoyed this beer and I thought it was pretty impressive. Jolly Pumpkin did a great job with this beer and it's now up there as one of my favorite Jolly Pumpkin beers and it might just be one of the best funkier Saisons that I've had so far. Good job guys this is one great beer.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The beer has lots of tart qualities on the nose.

The flavor follows of funk and tart of almost pickle juice or cider. There's lots of malt with a light cherry flavor. A very drinkable beer with a heavy handed amount of barnyard Brett funk.

The funk and tart qualities are well done for the saison style (or newer attempt at the style that I prefer).

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a nearly opaque pink/red with orange tint. Thick pillow of dense pink splashed khaki head sticks for a long time; thick lace down the glass. Yowza. Smell: floral as you'd expect and sweet with some perfumey coriander-ish spice, notes of pepper and orange citrus. Also some mild flanders red action...raspberry-ish, herbal/oaky note. Taste: floral and spicy upfront, tart raspberry note, ripe peach, herbal, lactic/citric/cheesy finish. Superb. 2/2015 bottling ("Blend 1").

4.26/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

25.4 oz bottle split and poured into a snifter. Bottled 02-10-2012. Gusher.

A: Pours a hazy amber ruby with a giant puffy white head. Quite dense. Lots of visible carbonation. Head dissipates in the course of a few minutes leaving some nice lacing.

S: The rose really comes through on this brew and the wild yeast has kicked it up a few notches.

T: This is an enjoyable beer, really get the floral rose taste with the saison blend and a fairly intense sour taste. Adds a farmhouse dimension. Very different and quite tasty. I like the rose and brett compliment.

M: Lots of carbonation as shown with the appearance. Crisp finish that is pretty refreshing. Reminds me of a champagne on the tongue. So easy drinking.

Overall has the classic Jolly Pumpkin taste with their yeast strains but also a great rose petal addition. Very tasty and quite drinkable.

Review 200!

A huge thanks to erikkoppin for this great beer. Cheers!

Appearance - Pours a lovely auburn hue into my Bell's Tulip. Thankfully this is not a gusher, having been in my refrigerator for a good three weeks. About two fingers of white, bubbly head is achieved with a cautious pour. This slowly dissipates leaving nice, thin lines of lacing.

Smell - Ahh, the stereotypical Jolly Pumpkin scent. I get an immense rush of sour cherries surrounded by classic barnyard funk. Slight floral aromas are present the more I allow this to warm up, but overall it would appear to be a tart smelling "sour" beer. Can't wait to taste it.

Taste - The initial taste is a burst of tart fruits such as sour/dark cherries, plums, and just a hint of raisins. After the tartness there is a mid-taste barnyard funk reminiscent of damp hay. This then melds with the floral scents and spices from the nose which bring to mind clove, ginger, and a hint of pepper. I really, really like this beer.

Mouthfeel - Relatively light, almost Champaign like with the loads of carbonation that prickle the tongue. Rather enjoyable for the way this beer tastes and is presented.

Drinkability - Immensely. I am sitting here attempting not to quaff this delicious beer I have been waiting quite some time to try. I wish I could get my hands on some more of this but I highly doubt it at this point in time. Recommended. Jolly Pumpkin and their unique style makes me want more and more of their beer all the time. Excellent.

Thanks, Andrew.

Cloudy and ruddy amber, this is a dark saison. Carbonaton is pretty reigned-in, leaving only a small head.

Tons of brett on the nose, backed by a floral and perfumey note. The funk is leathery and earthy. Lot of yeasty goodness on display.

The palate is musty, dry, leathery. Quite floral, there are notes of rye and whole grain bread, citrus fruit, mild sourness. Finishes dry with a strong lingering earthy brett character. Another very enjoyable JP beer.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Reviewed from notes of 4/16/11. I picked up the last 2 bottles at Kappys Liquor on Rt. 1.

Blend 6. Bottled 1/27/11

A = Amber red color with pink hues in the light. Visible carbonation. Cloudy. Tight 2 finger head. Thick lace.

S = Hops, perfume/flower/rose hips, sour earthy funk but pleasant.

T = Pickled vegetables, flowers, slight fruit note. Cherry? Organic earth funk mix.

M = Good body. Carbonated and bubbley on the front end. Mild dry earthy sweetness on the back end.

O = I really liked this. One of the most pleasantly interesting Saisons I have had in a long time. The organic funk taste and nose may not be for everyone. There is alot going on in terms of sour flavors, but it isn't over the top in terms of earthy-ness. Just the right amount for my taste! If I can get more of this I certainly will! :)

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Honey yellow with dense marshmallow head. Fresh scents of strawberry and hibiscus. Starts off with a floral funk and finishes with a green apple tartness. Tingly carbonation with a lingering dryness. Great balance between the subtleness of the flower flavors and the puckering sour fruit. The result is a refreshing beer.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a hazy golden with a good head and good lace. The aroma has the funky jolly pumpkin house character with the lemon zest, lemon rind, horse blanket and farm yard aromas. The flavor is jammy and mildly sour with woody and earthy notes and a mild spiciness. Very tasty beer.

4.24/5  rDev +4.2%

750mL bottle poured into a tulip. Batch #389.

(A)- Pours a clear yet hazy brown amber color with ruby red highlights. Produced a good white head that dissipated after a little bit. Some lacing left behind. Seriously one of the darkest colored saisons I have seen.

(S)- A floral aroma with a lightly funky hay/brett-like aroma. Very floral actually from the rose petals and hibiscus. A light fruit tart sweetness at the end.

(T)- Backwards a bit from the smell. Some good berry-like tart fruits up front that flow into a light dry hay/bitter funk. Floral.

(M)- A bit of a lower carbonation level than expected from the style. A good balance of lightly tart fruits and dry hay funk. Rather smooth, yet a bit thinner than expected.

(D)- An interesting take on the style. Much more fruit driven than usual, but still kicks it up a notch with the dry hay funk at the end. A unique take on the style that borders on a wild ale, yet is still a solid take on the style.

4.24/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2015 vintage. fresh as a daisy. big bottle into .3 L glass.

A: pours a very rich caramel color. pretty clear.

S: barnyard, leather, lots of brett.

T: really barny. tart too. a little grainy in towards the finish and there is definitely an interesting flavor I cant put my finger on. pickle brine? regardless, I like it.

M: moderate amount of carb on a medium body.

D: a really good saison. not sure if I get the rose hips and petals, but I appreciate the complexity between the brett, malt, and herbs. well done. would happily drink more of this.

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%

Shared with Cavery. And it must also be noted, that I am drinking this mainly because Baudelaire is a kick-ass poet.

A: A hot coal shade of red and orange, with a dense cream colored head. Purdy as a picture.

S: The tart scent of cherries, and I am briefly having happy memory spasms of The Duchesse de Bourgogne. I'd be a lying scoundrel if I said I really caught the scent of rose hips. It kind of smells like the rosemary bread they serve at Macaroni Grill, which don't lie, you love.

T: At first, you think you're chugging a sour. Then, here comes Captain Floral. I am still not picking up rose, but again, rosemary bread. Finishes with a fabulous bready taste. Complex and savory, with that hot bread flavor.

M: Crispy and super fizzy. I like anything that makes me think of champagne, so high-five Jolly Pumpkin.

O: I'm completely author-biased, but hot damn if this isn't a crisp and surprising treat. I still never really caught on to all the florals they so lovingly threw into the vat (which I'm sure looked like a really elegant beer hot tub), but who cares? This beer makes me feel happy, happy feelings.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

On Tap

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

A surprisingly light pink colored pour, slightly hazy, with slight amber hues as well. Small off-white head that leaves nice stick down the glass.

The aroma is quite lovely, with a huge amount of floral (rose?) aroma, with some dark berries and citrus notes, along with a bit of earth and classic Jolly Pumpkin tartness/funk.

A lovely combination of floral and citrus notes, mild funk, rose petals, earth, and funky yeast character. This is a complex though incredibly drinkable saison.

Medium bodied with moderate-high carbonation.

I love it!

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

I had this on tap at the Ann Arbor location. It was served in a tulip-shaped glass, and looked kind of like a girly drink. That or Belgian. Light amber-pink, nice haze, with large poofy foam that was nearly white.

It smelled tart but not as much as the high production Jolly Pumpkins, with floral (rose) aromas and some light berries, maybe a hint of citrus.

It tastes really approachable, more of a saison than a wild although some signature brett was in there. Very floral and a little spicy, but not in a bitter way at all. Light-to-medium carbonation, very easy drinking. Highly recommended, one of the best I've had from Jolly Pumpkin.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from 750ml bottle. Thanks go out to gratefulbeerhead for this bottle. You rock Eric!

A- Poured a nice amber color with light pink hues overall. Three finger white head shows great retentino. Huge rocky chunks of lace left on the sides of the glass.

S- Floral in the nose right off the bat. Rose petal and hibiscus really come off in the front with hints of cracked pepper. Light oak toward the middle with hints of vanilla. Ending of the aroma shows big green apple aroma with a ton of barnyard funk. Light alcohol which I expected more to be honest.

T- Green apples on the front of the beer with a floral flavor which reminds me of rose petals. Hints of black pepper on the final part of the front. Middle shows off some light funk along with oak and vanilla. Green apple comes out more with that typical Jolly Pumpkin funk to it. Alcohol shows some light funk as well on the ending.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is lively and good for the style. Rose petals, light malt, and hints of funk left on the palate. Funky alcohol, hints of oak, and green apple are left long into the aftertaste. Flavors were actually well blended and felt no stop and jerk flavor profile. No off flavors were present although the green apple might have been a light off flavor. Medium heavy alcohol drying left on the palate.

O- This was a wonderful saison. Jolly Pumpkin makes a great tasting beer it seems at times without even trying. The ABV is a little on the light side which makes this beer easy drinking. Nice tasting beer for the summertime nights!

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: hazy deep auburn in color with a nice creamy off white head. I almost get a slight deep pink color off of the side of the glass but my mind might be playing tricks.

Smell: the live yeast that JP uses is very present giving a rustic smell of fresh cut, wet even, hay.

Taste: very interesting. The rose hips and petals and hibiscus blend really well with the slight sour character. Delicious really. I was not expecting this. It is mild and flavorful all at once with some slight bit of a peach flavor and appricote as well. I'm sure that is coming from the hips, petals and so forth but a very unique taste.

Mouthfeel is well carbonated front to back and overall she is refreshing.

It doesn't blow me away. I'll never cry if indent drink it again but would never turn it down.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Welcome this is a farmhouse...

Blend 7/8 bottled 2-4-11
The pour deposits an amber orange tinted beer. Spitty spatters of lacing, one making the shape of a duck, cling to the glass above the remaining head biscuit. Bubbles. Tiny bubbles.

The nose throws the trademark sour acidity of JP. Wild and woody with a little bit of subtlety in the way of the rose hips and hibiscus that were introduced into the fray. Nothing overt from these ingredients.

The taste is sour and woody again first and foremost. The flower qualities, although very late to manifest, come through much more noticeably in the flavor than they do in the nose. There is a very flower petal remnant like quality that coats the tongue and grows in presence after the swallow trickles down the pipe. Interesting. Unsurprisingly so.

The mouthfeel is perhaps a touch thinner than anticipated, yet manages to lay a crispness that makes the flowery elements bloom across the palate.

Overall, this beer is quite an enjoyable one. Complexities may not be glaring but this brand of beer is brash in the house character fashion and the subtleties need to be patiently awaited while the up front qualities run their course. It really is delicate underneath the initial assertiveness. Nicely done. Worth a ride...

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

A- A deep, murky orange-pink liquid with a thick and creamy off-white head that leaves a lot of lacing and has excellent retention.

S- Sour fruits, honey, and roses. Very very nice. Really hard to pinpoint all the individual characteristics, but it is very appealing.

T- Hmm... Tastes floral, earthy, and has an olive aspect to it. Not as much depth as I expected. Acidic and sour.

M- Tart, acidic, dry, yet creamy with a nice amount of carbonation.

D- A unique beer, but the rose aspect is pretty subtle. Sounds much more appealing than it actually is. Still, this is enjoyable and is very high quality. Not quite worth the money, but worth splitting with a friend.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Batch 1018. Bottled 2/10/12.

A giant, foamy, merengue-like head, slightly pink tinged. Hazy, copper body. Head takes forever to settle, like most JP beers.

Pronounced funk, with lemon zest and an earthy must.Very floral, with aromas of rose water and hibiscus tea. Slight pepper as well.

Very floral and slightly vegetal (probably from the rose hips). Delicate, rose water flavors, with tropical, bright, hibiscus flavors. There's an underlying funk, with musty earth flavors and some lemon. Slight pepper and other spices on the finish.

A great saison, with some amazing flavors. I've been disappointed by JP many times, but this is a winner from them.

Baudelaire IO from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales