Baudelaire IO - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Baudelaire IOBaudelaire IO

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: NoLiberty on 10-27-2009)

sideshowe, Nov 16, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

I don't do a lot of double reviews but felt this one deserved it. Blend 7/8, 750ml into allagash tulip.

A- Ruddy brown with some pink and orange highlights. Small head sticks nicely on the edge of the glass.

S- As I remember- wet grass, a bit of funk, like being in a flower garden after a spring shower.

T- This blend/bottling tastes different than the growler review I did. The fruit isn't as prominent- but the floral aspect is much stronger. I think I liked the other one's fruitiness, and I'm missing it a bit here. Still, great, complex florals- hibiscus, rose petals, some white wine tartness as well.

M- Sweetness fades into a drying, tart finish. Good body, carbonation. Keeps the flavors moving. Keeps me coming back.

O- I think I liked this from the growler better.. but that might have been because I got to enjoy 64 oz of it at a time. This beer is spectacular. GOAT or damn close.

ShogoKawada, May 22, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

Batch 4 bottled 1/25/11. Sampled 3/27/11. $20 for the 750mL. Served in a tulip. Great label.

A: An average pour produces 2 1/2 fingers of a foamy, rose-stained white cap. Respectable retention. Hazy with 25% transparency when backlit. Completely opaque otherwise. The body is medium-dark burgundy in color. Thick sheets of foamy lace lather each edge of the tulip. As Jolly Pumpkin beers tend to be, this one is another stunner in the glass.

S: Non descript malts, floral hops with a tamed sourness. Lightly earthy and funky with a cherry pez aroma. The barrel comes across beautifully.

T: Subtle flavors include grape, apple and cherry with notes of wood, chalk and dust in the background. Lightly vinous. While the flavors are nice, they certainly lack depth, stopping at midpalate and leading to a very dry and somewhat empty finish. Perhaps over-attenuated.

M: Light body, thin texture, fizzy carbonation and a chalky finish.

D: Not a bad beer but definitely subpar for a JP offering. Others seemed to like this one more than me so maybe Batch 4 was less impressive than the others. At $20 a bottle, I doubt I will ever find out.

FeDUBBELFIST, Oct 01, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

leinie13, Sep 16, 2012

freewill35, Jul 28, 2013
3.65/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Andy kindly opened this one up to drink while watching the Bruinks stonp Vancouver. Poured into a tulip. This one pours a nice velvet red with a creamy finger of light pink head. Nice retention with thick soapy lace.

Pommegarnaice in the aroma with what I can only describe as soap. I'm sure it's from the rose petals but it's soap for me. It's really not a bad soap smell though, it's pretty nice. A little bit of doughy yeast here too. Slightly tart in the aroma. Biscuity yeast on the pallet with a little bit of peppery hops. Floral flavors and a bit of earthy must.

A little bit of a full body here that with low carbonation. It doesn't seem to have the crisp saison feel that I'm accustomed to.

A really interesting beer here. I'm not sure that I'm crazy about the addition of rose petals on this. They don't seem to add much; especially on the pallet. I'd say a tasty beer worth a shot. Really a unique take on a saison.

Bendurgin, Jun 07, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

tdmccarthy, May 20, 2014

BuckTuckian, May 23, 2014
4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

750 mL bottle, blend 5 bottled 1/26/2011, poured into a tulip glass

A- A slightly hazy red with a hint of pink and a three finger off-white head.

S- Flowers, roses, some barnyard funk and sour, brett.

T- Slightly sour, light fruit notes, roses, funky burnyard finish, earthy. Nice complexity, very enjoyable.

M- Smooth, refreshing, light body.

O- This is a great and unique saison, worth the money. Smooth, complex, refreshing, great for a hot day. Will be picking up a few more bottle

larryi86, Aug 05, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

Sampled on 3-12-10
Batch 389

Pours a bright but cloudy red/brown color, with almost a pink tinge. A very sizable head gives way to huge, craggy lacing.

Smell is sour up front, with strong floral aromas. Subtle and yet complex, it's hard to pinpoint the many things going on.

Taste is all sour and slightly bitter, with a dominating green olive flavor. Not as complex as I expected, and a little odd, but still enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is very carbonated and light, which adds to the sourness and tartness, in a good way.

Drinkability is good, although the sourness is enough to make one bottle plenty.

Overall, a good beer that I'm glad I tried, and even more glad that I split the price with somebody.

BMoney575, Mar 13, 2010

Cherry hued amber body with a dense white head and fine lacing.

Rose petals and hibiscus dominate the aroma with some light brett notes sneaking in there.

Tastes like a wild garden. My first impression was that the rose and hibiscus had taken this beer over, totally overboard. As I sat down with it and tried to dissect the glass, brett, mild acid, eucolyptus, bubblegum and other qualities began to appear. But...the rose and the hibiscus in particular still seem to strong. They seem to mask other flavors.

The mouthfeel is perhaps a bit thinner than a standard Saison, but overall not much to report here.

A unique beer that combines two very interesting Saison ingredients to form a very unique beer. I wish it had less floral character and more Brett and Saison flavor, but that's my only complaint.

BradLikesBrew, Jul 03, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

birdsellam, Dec 18, 2013

wonothesane42, Aug 20, 2013

StephRai, Sep 25, 2014

cosmonick, Feb 19, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I walked into my new favorite beer store and saw this beautiful woman calling my name, in other words great label. I split the bottle into snifter's between friends and was greeted with a red tinged white head that dissipated quickly. The brew itself was a burgundy red in color with great carbonation.

The fragrance funky brett hits you in your face like most JP brews. One of the guy's picked up on the rose hips and hibiscus right away but I had to let mine warm to get it. This is a very flavorful Saison, light and fruity a little grassy as well. It reminds me of springtime in a bottle the brett character is right on for this brew adding just another perfect dimension to it. The carbonation was spot on making this beer light and crisp.

I still haven't found a JP that I didn't like and I'll put this one at the top of the pack as my favorite so far.

joepais, Apr 08, 2011