Baudelaire IO - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Baudelaire IOBaudelaire IO

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: NoLiberty on 10-27-2009)
OBeerMeGreatOne

Stevie_Janowski

10-21-2012 21:34:18 | More by Stevie_Janowski
litheum94

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

Batch 1018. Bottled 2/10/12.

A giant, foamy, merengue-like head, slightly pink tinged. Hazy, copper body. Head takes forever to settle, like most JP beers.

Pronounced funk, with lemon zest and an earthy must.Very floral, with aromas of rose water and hibiscus tea. Slight pepper as well.

Very floral and slightly vegetal (probably from the rose hips). Delicate, rose water flavors, with tropical, bright, hibiscus flavors. There's an underlying funk, with musty earth flavors and some lemon. Slight pepper and other spices on the finish.

A great saison, with some amazing flavors. I've been disappointed by JP many times, but this is a winner from them.

04-26-2012 03:29:17 | More by litheum94

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

03-30-2014 03:50:58 | More by CWhite
BeerImmediately

2.88/5  rDev -29.4%

750ml, Blend 3, 1/18/11. Wish I discovered before Valentine's Day...

Pours with a decent, 2F worth of foamy pinkish-white head over a dark pink-to-red body, with lots of carbonation.

Aromas are a bit tame - the floral aspects come thru with some red grapes, cherry twizzlers, and Belgian yeast.

Comes across fairly sharp with carbonation, with some cherry cough drops, and fairly significant floral bitterness. Pretty thin mouthfeel, quite dry overall, and even the high carbonation doesn't kill the bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability suffers a bit due to the flavor and carbonation.

This is the first JP that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed, but I give them credit for trying something unique.

03-13-2011 22:26:30 | More by BeerImmediately
BedetheVenerable

Missouri

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Presentation: 750ml brown pop top with gorgeous label. HUGE thanks to jbck109 for crossing this major want off my list. Bottled on 1-26-11, my wife's birthday; if she liked wild brews, I'd be splitting this with her. Alas, this is all mine. Ok, popping the top here, I found the STRANGEST thing I've ever found in one of my beers. For about an inch and a half all around the top of the bottle from the lip (and inside of the cap) is a dark, muddy pink/brown paste. It almost looks like melted wax of the lesser-quality variety (i.e. what's used on New Glarus' fruit beers. Weirdest freaking thing I've ever seen. If this were just 'any' beer, I'd probably dump it out, but now that I have this, I'm all systems go...

Appearance: Hazy, ruddy orange/brown beer with pink highlights. Nice, creamy ivory cap with pink hints. Amazing sheets of lace. Really quite attractive overall.

Smell: It's JP, so of course there's tons of Bretty goodness front and center. Vibrantly fruity, earthy, and funky. Just a hint of strawberry as well. I'm not getting a anything specifically rose-like here, but it is a bit flowery.

Taste: Wild, and slightly tart, but not over-the-top; this is nicely nuanced and balanced. Although I'm having trouble pulling out any individual fruit flavors here (I get a bit of raspberry after awhile), but this is absolutely bursting with fruity and floral flavors of the Brett variety. Nothing that specifically shouts 'rose', but this is really pleasant. Just a hint of crisp, dry pale/pils malt on the finish. Tart, but delicately so, like raspberries and slightly underripe fruit. Lightly bitter on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Light side of medium-bodied.

Overall: When I started in on this, I was thinking I was gonna be a bit disappointed in that this was going to be 'just another' wild beer. And, while it's true that I don't get anything specific here that shouts 'rose', 'rose hips', or 'hibiscus', it really is a beautifully fruity, floral, brettanomyces-kissed brew that (unlike many American Wild Ales, and some from JP for that matter) strikes a perfect balance between yeasty notes, fruity esters, funk, tartness, hop bitterness, and malt. Really, this is one of the best saisons I've had, wild or not.

08-07-2011 01:54:50 | More by BedetheVenerable
moonknight31

10-29-2013 15:00:52 | More by moonknight31
yancot

Ontario (Canada)

05-01-2014 06:03:20 | More by yancot
CloudStrife

4.26/5  rDev +4.4%

25.4 oz bottle split and poured into a snifter. Bottled 02-10-2012. Gusher.

A: Pours a hazy amber ruby with a giant puffy white head. Quite dense. Lots of visible carbonation. Head dissipates in the course of a few minutes leaving some nice lacing.

S: The rose really comes through on this brew and the wild yeast has kicked it up a few notches.

T: This is an enjoyable beer, really get the floral rose taste with the saison blend and a fairly intense sour taste. Adds a farmhouse dimension. Very different and quite tasty. I like the rose and brett compliment.

M: Lots of carbonation as shown with the appearance. Crisp finish that is pretty refreshing. Reminds me of a champagne on the tongue. So easy drinking.

Overall has the classic Jolly Pumpkin taste with their yeast strains but also a great rose petal addition. Very tasty and quite drinkable.

02-21-2013 02:05:30 | More by CloudStrife

ncelauro

04-24-2014 22:08:22 | More by ncelauro
Patrick999

4.58/5  rDev +12.3%

Blend 1, 1/11/11. This is a seriously beautiful beer, it truly is a "red saison." Outstanding color. In a flute glass, it might pass for a rose but for the fact that it's a hazy from not having been filtered. Like rose Champagne with some strawberry preserves thrown in. Carbonated? Yes, this is Jolly Pumpkin - big fizzy head on the pour, one that sticks around and leaves some lacing.

Varied nose - some whiffs yield sweet strawberry, some rose petals, others some unmistakable sweaty, musky Brettanomyces. This saison is squarely on the "wild side." I also get a little cinnamon and nutmeg. So a flowery, spicy, sweaty, fruity nose then. It sounds unfocused, but it's exquisite.

I'm sure some other company uses the tagline "Always An Adventure," otherwise I'd suggest it for Jolly Pumpkin. These beers are for contemplative, serious drinking. If you throw this down in a loud, smoky bar you might miss a lot of what it has to offer. This is one you spend an hour or so with, teasing out the various micro-flavors. Right up front, it's pretty bitter/hoppy and crushed-aspirin medicinal, similar to a fresh Orval. Midway through, I feel like I'm eating flowers, as I get a very pithy, floral/weedy flavor. Tart strawberries and old saddle leather round it out to a very dry finish - this is one dry beer. Which I like, to me that's essential in a saison.

Feels sharp and thin on the palate, like many Jolly Pumpkin beers. Stinging carbonation, which you would expect for the style, but body might be a shade light for a 6.8% beer. Not a huge flaw in my book, as this does make for some very crisp, refreshing drinking.

If I can't score a saison a 4.0 or above in drinkability, I tend to view it as a failure. Not so here, this is highly drinkable with the caveat that you have to like your dry, Brett-y beers. This is brewing art, and I'm glad to have enjoyed a bottle.

04-16-2011 23:13:17 | More by Patrick999
hwwty4

Missouri

4.55/5  rDev +11.5%

Blend 7/8 Bottled 2/3/11

I thought I had missed this beer and low and behold I found it at one of my locals. I would have been really dissapointed not to get to try a fantatic saison by one of the best American brewers of Saisons.

Poured a capped 750ml into my Hennepin globe. This beer pours a amber honey with a massive 4 inch head that leaves some serious lacing down the sides of the glass. The head retention is fantastic. About a 1/2 inch of a foamy cap always sticks around for the entirety of the bottle. The aroma is amazing. Up front is a nice earthy brett. Damp earth with just a little must. I like to call it old closet. Layers of smells underneath the brett. Up front, are sweet berries almost a mix between strawberries and raspberries. Just a bit of sweet tartness. Underneath that you get a bit of honey with a subtle grassy/graininess. With the first sip, you get a big brett presence. I wonder what brett strains they used. Up front I get a bit of damp earth mixed with musty clothes. Then there is this tropical fruit sweetness, almost along the lines of pineapple. Several flavors work well with the brett. There is a nice floralness that I cant pinpoint if it actually comes from the rose/hibiscus or is a result of some sort of hop they use. Really amazing. The mouthfeel is creamy up front and finishes a bit dry. I wish it finished just a bit drier but honestly that's a little thing. Overall, its another fantastic beer by Jolly Pumpkin.

08-11-2011 23:50:31 | More by hwwty4

weonfire

01-13-2013 21:45:27 | More by weonfire
jamie2dope

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to Kurt over at Gordons on Main Street for selling me his last bottle. I haven't had anything from these guys in a while, so I am looking forward to this. Poured in to a wine glass, the color is stunning. It is a blood orange color that gets lighter as you make your way through the glass. About a finger of white heading shows up, and stays till the end. The nose is juicy, with fruit such as strawberries and pomegranate. A little bit of mustiness comes through as well. It definitely drinks like a traditional rustic Saison, but there is a level of complexity there too which I am guessing can be attributed to the addition of rose hips and petals. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a nice dose of carbonation. I was sort of expecting this to be a gusher, as I have experienced that in Bam Biere, but this one came through with flying colors. JP hit a home run with this beer.

03-21-2011 23:12:47 | More by jamie2dope